• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Why Are We Seemingly Afraid 2022 Will Be The Hard End Of Support For The Switch? We Shouldn't Be.

xghost777

Magical Girls <3 #TeamJRPG #TrustTheProcess
I was catching up on the main Nintendo thread today and I'm confused why there is such concern over the Dane cutting off all Switch games in 2022. I'm a big fan of generations lasting as long as possible, especially when they are going as strong as the Switch is. I know we have had mostly hard cutoffs in the past as Nintendo fans (Wii and Wii U were particularly dire), but honestly even if the Dane released next year I really think the Switch is in an entirely different situation where developers will not abandon the original Switch immediately.

Most indies don't need to jump ship as the Switch is still more than powerful enough for the majority of them and it appears the Dane will be mostly or fully backwards compatible with the original so when an indie develops for the base Switch, it's a Dane game too. The smaller Japanese market means Japanese developers are going to keep developing for Switch until they see people are truly mostly picking up Dane versions of games or exclusive Dane games. We had a thread recently on Western third party support and yeah most of that is leaving Switch or already gone. Ubisoft I think will bring games where it makes sense, but Bethesda, EA, and Activision Blizzard (ew) are probably all/mostly out at this point for various reasons.

The big one where I think people are most anxious is first party Nintendo, but just because the Dane Switch comes out and games will run better on it doesn't mean any of the announced upcoming games will suddenly become Dane exclusive. Would Nintendo really market games like Bayonetta 3 and Breath of the Wild 2 and then suddenly pull the rug out and say whoa actually this is Dane only? Perhaps the sole exception I could see people argue is Metroid Prime 4 because we haven't seen literally anything from it. Even that game though, why would they allegedly be putting out a Prime Remake next year to build up to nothing. That doesn't make any sense. Unless Prime 4 doesn't make 2023, I see no reason why that game won't be cross gen. The trilogy pushed beyond its weight thanks to stellar art direction and I see no reason why Retro will let us down. The design of most Nintendo games isn't going to necessitate more powerful hardware, so there's really no reason to believe most upcoming games through 2023 at least won't be cross gen. Are we really going to say any Nintendo 2D platformers for example won't run on the old Switch? How about normal Pokemon and Fire Emblem? One final thing to consider is some of these upcoming games will be supported with DLC for a good deal of time. Splatoon 3 will see at least two years of support right there. Xenoblade 3, Breath of the Wild 2, mainline Fire Emblem, and upcoming Pokemon games likely will have extended DLC support as well.

Anyway all this is to say, there's really no reason to panic 2022 won't be awesome for Switch and 2023 will likely be awesome as well even if it won't be as bonkers as 2022 looks. We already have Metroid Prime 4 likely to look forward to in 2023 and three Trails games dated for 2023 (if you love JRPGs and aren't excited for Trails you are doing it wrong. I can say first hand Zero and Azure in particular are awesome and y'all need to be hyped for them). 2024 I think is too far out to clearly predict, but even then with indies and Japanese developers it's just more likely than not some games will still come out for it. The Dane Switch will get exclusive games no question, but it's going to take a while to build up an install base especially as the chip shortage remains in strong (or greater?) effect. It makes good business sense on multiple fronts to keep developing Switch games as it builds up and with a line up like 2022's the Switch's still growing audience is going to be reenergized and ready for more Switch games. With backwards compatibility too, all Switch games are Dane games. No effort is thus wasted and with DLSS and more power, Dane gamers will still be happy. So yes, the Switch will not see a hard end in 2022 as far as I'm concerned.

Bonus tangent here, if some of y'all are antsy with all the big games out this year, don't forget we have the Danganronpa Decadence collection and Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonderland hitting Switch in December! We still have a few cool games left before 2021 ends!

Anyway I wrote most of this as a post for the main thread, but I think the board overall has been anxious about the Switch and the Dane for months so I'll turn it over to you. Do you think 2022 is the hard end of Switch support?

I think the original Switch still has plenty of life in it, for 2023 and beyond! It's here for the long haul.

So much money is being made through the install base of the current Switch that neither Nintendo nor others will move on from software support soon.

There seem to be some third parties who have games that will only ship on more powerful hardware, but I'd expect that to be a tiny minority of the software available on Switch. They might be high profile games, sure. If we look at Nintendo's latest financials, Switch remains the driving force of almost their entire revenue stream and that means continuing to support the base hardware with games. We're also seeing the software market shift so that third parties are capturing a greater share year on year, which means that software support will continue, too.

I don't think the concern/discussion is powered by the fear that Switch will be dropped entirely; I think people are more confused and speculative as to what exactly it is that's coming next.

Switch will continue to get Nintendo games until late 2023, no reason to expect support to be dropped sooner.

Some people are a bit too obsessed with the next thing. No reason to think Switch doesn't have several years ahead of it.

The 3DS got some level of support through 2019. The switch, which is an even bigger success, will see something similar. The only way it doesn't is if sales completely crater like the Wii did between now and then, but it's difficult to see that happening.

Like you said, I'm also still on the train that Splatoon 3 being a thing next year means they intend to support the Switch in a serious way for at least another year, year and a half. They wouldn't be dropping another entry in the closest thing they have to a game as a service only to drop the console midway during its life.

BOTW2 will also surely have a season pass with extended content support like the first game did, as have most if not all of Nintendos first party action/RPG games on the Switch.

Some people are a bit too obsessed with the next thing. No reason to think Switch doesn't have several years ahead of it.
In some cases, more than fear, I think it is whisful thinking of people who want exclusive next gen games.

Why would anyone think 2022 will be the hard end of Switch support? It just doesn’t make logical sense. How about we wait for some 2022 Directs before we jump to weird conclusions.

In some cases, more than fear, I think it is whisful thinking of people who want exclusive next gen games.

It's mostly that. People are trying to create impending issues or troubles that the console will most likely not meet, because they really want a more powerful console.

Nintendo has a history of releasing a ton of heavy hitters in the console's last year just like they did for the following:

I think people are underestimating how long some version of the Switch is going to be Nintendo's current console. Wasn't there a briefing a few weeks ago where Nintendo said there were like halfway through its life or something?

There's no reason to worry about first party support as dropping the support before the first anniversary of the next console is not something Nintendo would do.

In normal circumstances, we should have worried about third party. But nowadays, big port studios are investing in Switch for the long term, many of them forming internal Switch specific teams. As long as they are here, third party support will live on. Maybe not for newer games but Switch won't have droughts anymore.

What is Dane?
It is the name of the chip for the next Switch reportedly gearing up for release in 2022. It could be the Super Switch, Switch 4K, Switch 2 whatever. That’s unknown. It has exclusive games in development and features DLSS to upscale games.

It is the name of the chip for the next Switch reportedly gearing up for release in 2022. It could be the Super Switch, Switch 4K, Switch 2 whatever. That’s unknown. It has exclusive games in development and features DLSS to upscale games.
Is all that info reliable? Because we've been hearing about the "Switch Pro" for years now and it never actually happens...

Is all that info reliable? Because we've been hearing about the "Switch Pro" for years now and it never actually happens...
Bloomberg has 11 independent sources for starters on top of other reporters own sources. So yes.

I look forward to the last cross-gen Switch/Switch 2 game in 2027.
Yep, I've been saying they'll probably try to support it with the majority of their first party games for an even 10 years.
Dane existing is extremely reliable, the source for that has never been wrong. Whether or not it hits 2022 is a different story.

I am not worried. I still enjoy my Switch and if the Dane is backwards compatible I still can enjoy those games. As others said the install base is hige. You dont drop that out of nowhere.

Dane existing is extremely reliable, the source for that has never been wrong. Whether or not it hits 2022 is a different story.
Of course I'm not doubting that Switch will have a successor, but I think 2022 is too late for a "Switch Pro" and too soon for a "Switch 2". But we'll see, as trying to predict Nintendo moves is useless.

We can rely on the info about the Dane SoC existing; that's a certainty. Whether or not it ends up in a 2022 Switch model, or if there will be a new model launching next year at all is still up in the air.

I think people around here know what side i'm on by now, so i'll save it.

Just Dance 2027 let’s go!! (I think Ubisoft still makes those yearly lol)
I was thinking first-party, actually. Ubisoft can keep shitting out Just Dance games for base Switch as long as the Switch ecosystem is still around and the current model still accepts the same type of physical media. They kept making them for Wii until NoA would no longer distribute Wii games.

Of course I'm not doubting that Switch will have a successor, but I think 2022 is too late for a "Switch Pro" and too soon for a "Switch 2". But we'll see, as trying to predict Nintendo moves is useless.
Well yeah I don't just mean the fact that there's a new chip in the works, I'm referring to Dane specifically which has a good amount of info known, like it being made on an 8nm process at Samsung and being a customized version of Orin.

Whether it's a pro or successor (or IMO more likely something in between) is completely up to marketing and timing which can all easily change.

I was thinking first-party, actually. Ubisoft can keep shitting out Just Dance games for base Switch as long as the Switch ecosystem is still around and the current model still accepts the same type of physical media. They kept making them for Wii until NoA would no longer distribute Wii games.
Ah gotcha. I think it is a little hard to predict Nintendo that far out (2025 is my current final first party game estimate), but I can certainly see the potential of that happening given I don't think the majority of their game design in general needs hardware more powerful than the Switch and the DLSS benefits of the Dane can keep the hardcore happy. I didn't know where to place it in my big wall of text of an OP, but they also still haven't done a single price drop for Switch so it really could have ten years of longevity if they want to.

Also the real final Switch game will be some weird indie developer who hasn't even remotely started their game yet that will have some digital only release in the 2030's when no one at Nintendo remembers how to operate the Switch eshop lol.

Well, I indeed get a little desperate when I think a next console is coming when I only bought mine this month. But I gotta remember in 2023, Dane being successor or not, I'll be playing Metroid Prime 4(and probably at 60FPS just like Trilogy and DKCTF were!!) on my V2 so I should just chill lol. Also Emily said she knows about a 2023/2024 game so I think we can assume a veeeeery long cross-gen period.

We have some games that would presumably be 2023(Pokémon gen IX and next 3D Mario and Mario Kart) that would probably be cross gen, where they'd get the best of both worlds and sell to a huge user base and promote the new hardware, and there's possible 2023, 2024 or later stuff that I don't see missing current Switch (2D Zelda, 2D Mario, next Mario Party, etc).

I think 3rd party developers that were never actually on the ship will jump right at the start of Dane, but Nintendo's first party, japanese developers, AA and indie games will support the current Switch as long as there's millions of people still buying software for it. Just like OP said, Switch games are Dane games already.

I will jump on Switch successor the moment it becomes available. But my kids will still play it far away into the future and I see no reason for it to drop off from cliff when it comes to software.

I am early adopter. I am one of those people that gaming companies know they hook whatever piece of crap they come up with. And there have been plenty of those throughout years. I had red ring of death occur SIX times. I had the famous jet-engine noisy PS4. I even had the bloody N-Gage.

So I ain't worried about the software or the support for Switch. It'll be there for 2022-2023, maybe even longer. My real concern is how long Game Pass will be supported. That's still the best deal in gaming.

I look forward to the last cross-gen Switch/Switch 2 game in 2027.
Jesus now that I think about it... It can actually be BotW 3 😳.

Zelda has quite a history of being cross gen but not to that extreme level, but well, no home console of Nintendo ever got to that extreme level either.

And Zelda did come at the tenth year of OG Game Boy.

Okay I think this post just cured my constant "oh no I bought a Switch too late" anxiety, thank you Mondo (even if it's sarcastic, I think it has some truth in it, and I expect cross gen until 2024 at least).

Yeah I think 2023 is already heading for significant Switch support between Prime 4 and 2022 games that are candidates for significant DLC. (Splatoon 3, Xenoblade 3, BotW2, Mario + Rabbids 2, etc.)

I feel some are underestimating just how wild the pipeline actually is and looks when you account for studios that have yet to release anything since either 3ds entries or since 2017-2019 on switch .

Also generally some are still latching on your old ways nintendo systems have operated when from start to present switch has been anything but normal.

I don't see anyone panicking, is this a false narrative or am I missing some enormous outrage somewhere?

We're only "afraid" because people have convinced themselves a successor of some sorts is releasing literally tomorrow, and of course if that successor releases literally tomorrow Nintendo is going to drop support for base Switch yesterday.

The reality is that regardless of when the alleged successor comes out, we have a pretty packed release calendar for next year and likely beyond. This is a self inflicted panic over rumors and unconfirmed stuff.

We're only "afraid" because people have convinced themselves a successor of some sorts is releasing literally tomorrow, and of course if that successor releases literally tomorrow Nintendo is going to drop support for base Switch yesterday.

The reality is that regardless of when the alleged successor comes out, we have a pretty packed release calendar for next year and likely beyond. This is a self inflicted panic over rumors and unconfirmed stuff.

People do that. When Bloomberg reported on the Eleven (yes, it's capitalised now) just before the OLED release, we had some people saying they were going to cancel their OLED pre-order because they expected to hear more about the successor within a couple of months. This was despite the article itself suggesting it would a year at least before anything turned up.

People do that. When Bloomberg reported on the Eleven (yes, it's capitalised now) just before the OLED release, we had some people saying they were going to cancel their OLED pre-order because they expected to hear more about the successor within a couple of months. This was despite the article itself suggesting it would a year at least before anything turned up.

Eleven? Wasn't it Dane?

I stop reading the hardware fanfiction speculation thread for a week and I miss out on everything.

Eleven different developers who have 4k Switch devkits. The code name of the chip is still Dane.

Eleven were gifted 4K developers kits who above all desire power. But they were, all of them, deceived. For another Switch was made...

Haven't heard of this concern 2022 will be the hard end of support, but we could see some tapering. In anycase a lot of games releasing in 2022 would have been began this year or possibly even earlier in 2020 and 2019 and impacted by COVID.

We probably won't see any noticable decline until 2023

Maybe I'm just easily pleased, but I was traversing Dark World in bed last night with my headphones on with vibrant mode engaged, and I thought to myself: this OLED model was a very smart move, when it's enchancing 30 year old classics. Also, A Link to a the Past has great stereo separation.

With loads of first party titles coming and continued indie support, there's plenty of life in the old dog yet.

I have the same opinion as usual:

• Actual Switch hardware is enough for Nintendo to do 1:1 remakes/remasters of Wii/Gamecube games. Also, OG hardware is capable for any game that isn’t in an 3D environment. Example: I really doubt that next 2D Mario or Zelda entries will skip releasing on the present Switch.
  • Its very possible third party stuff will be focused con legacy content, that means remasters/ports of X360/PS3 era or before. There is still lots of third party games that can be ported to Switch without extreme efforts.
Example: S-E will not bring FFXVI or Forspoken to Switch but they will ported the rumoured remasters of FFT, Chrono Cross and Tactics Ogre.
- Some “impossible” ports will probably happen but they will be less and less. Hopefully, Dane switch opens up the door the the most intensive PS4/XOne games. (and a big maybe to some PS5 titles).

There is going to be support for several more years on the Switch, easily.

On top of that, I still expect meaningful support through at least 2024.

I look at it like this.

See how Crash and Spyro look on the PS4? They look great but their visual style also means they can be ported to the Switch and still look pretty nice.

I see no reason why the next Mario can’t have the visual fidelity of those PS4 games when it comes to the Dane version, but in a similar way I think the original Switch will get a version of the same Mario which looks and runs well in its own right.

I do think the Dane Switch will be a ‘successor’ but I also think we will see a lot of cross gen software like how God of War 2 and Horizon 2 are on PS4 and PS5.

More like 2024 at the latest
2025 seems to be the most reasonable cutoff for that given long crossgen period with this generation (and despite Microsoft's wishes, generations are still relevant and consoles will never be like iPhones)

Switch 2 will be released on March 2023 with a 4k Zelda BotW2 version, Mario Kart 9 and Mario Odyssey 2 on launch window (until the end of summer).
BOTW2 will be well before the launch at October 2023. Mario Kart X (Tour is MK9) will be the big crossgen game. Mario Odyssey 2 might be in launch window or before.

Conceivable we'll see strong indie support into 2025 but i'm hesitant to assume this will be the case as historically drop off in support for Nintendo consoles tend to be more pronounced once 1st party support ends, so it may not be as profitable as we expect. I understand Switch is a different platfortm and much easier port to so that could make it viable, but it's hard to see that far ahead IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom