• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What new character reveal will kickstart the next Smash Bros rollout?

Smash character reveals are not only for men in their 30s who post on video game forums
Animal Crossing and Splatoon cover the demographic spread far better than Ring Fit. When you have options that cater to a more varied audience, leading with a character most of the online fanbase is ambivalent towards isn't a great choice to actually appeal outside of Ring Fit's more casual-skewing, overall less online-attuned audience. Smash reveals aren't only for that kind of audience either.

Especially since a lot of the Ring Fit audience played it simply to work out, not due to attachment to the characters. I mean Ring Fit usually wasn't even promoted in Directs because it was such a different audience. It's largely not the same group who salivate every time a Smash reveal drops.

There's a reason Villager and Mega Man were in the initial trailer, and then Wii Fit Trainer was just unceremoniously dropped later that E3, after the presentation. You want to lead with a character that actually holds appeal to many different audiences. Including both the casual audience and the men in their 30s who post on video game forums.

both brawls and smash 4s trailers ended with a third party so that's probably a hard lock. wouldn't mind a reveal like brawls with multiple characters then a stinger for the guest. its not like theres that many big names left to add so why not.

Animal Crossing and Splatoon cover the demographic spread far better than Ring Fit. When you have options that cater to a more varied audience, leading with a character most of the online fanbase is ambivalent towards isn't a great choice to actually appeal outside of Ring Fit's more casual-skewing, overall less online-attuned audience. Smash reveals aren't only for that kind of audience either.

Especially since a lot of the Ring Fit audience played it simply to work out, not due to attachment to the characters. I mean Ring Fit usually wasn't even promoted in Directs because it was such a different audience. It's largely not the same group who salivate every time a Smash reveal drops.

There's a reason Villager and Mega Man were in the initial trailer, and then Wii Fit Trainer was just unceremoniously dropped later that E3, after the presentation. You want to lead with a character that actually holds appeal to many different audiences. Including both the casual audience and the men in their 30s who post on video game forums.
This idea that Villager was universally beloved by online audiences is a bit of revisionist history. There was definitely a degree of contention and disappointment that they were chosen over the animal characters. People just memory holed that because he was paired with Mega Man.

Heck, there wasn't a lot of particular excitement over Inkling's inclusion either. The initial Smash reveal wasn't even presented as a Smash reveal until the end.

MC Horace Showpony would objectively be the funniest way to reveal a new Smash game, Ring Fit Trainer feels way too conceptually similar to Wii Fit Trainer, even though they'd play differently. I mean, come on, even their names are similar.

Personally though, I'd imagine they'd do a character that could reasonably be seen as a fakeout for a non-Smash trailer, like a new (non Triforce wielding) Zelda character or something. Maybe reveal Sylux and make people think we're getting Prime 4 news as we proceed to still not see it lol

I think it's gotta be Walugi. Not only would he be a great way to kick off the hype, but they could also do an easy fake-out by showing his trailer after the reveal of a new Mario Tennis or something.

Waluigi's going to introduce a new Super Smash Bros. and then be left behind when he realizes he's not included as a fighter.

This just left me with the horrifying realization that the next entry could very well be titled "New Super Smash Bros."

I don’t know if they can do the splatoon style fake out again, they don’t have a lot of big ips left that are not in smash, maybe ring fit adventure but it wouldn’t work as well.
With that said the idea of Oatchi in the new smash game is filling me with happiness and if it’s not happening it will only prove how big of a fraud sakurai is.

There are a lot of solid new suggestions considering Ultimate covered so much ground. If we were looking for a differentiator though, a way of going bigger... well Mario is a movie star now, who's to say we couldn't jump dimensions a little?

Only Smash could pull it off. Luke Skywalker (Vader was in SCIV), Princess Mononoke, Ripley in her yellow exoskeleton (you know you want to see her fight Ridley, c'mon), Indiana Jones, Elsa, Aladdin, Merlin from Sword in the Stone, Bond, James Bond, Rocky (versus Little Mac), Peter Venkman, Totoro. And that's not even getting into villains and monsters. Well you gotta admit you would never know what was coming in the reveals.

Oatchi is a good call. The first reveal definitely won’t be a third party, and if I had my way the only third parties in future Smash games would be Sonic and Pac-Man.

My dream pick has always been Captain Syrup, and then they change Wario’s default back to his Land getup. And also they finally put Wario Land 4 on NSO. Pauline is also possible but I fear she would end up a Peach/Daisy Echo.

There are a lot of solid new suggestions considering Ultimate covered so much ground. If we were looking for a differentiator though, a way of going bigger... well Mario is a movie star now, who's to say we couldn't jump dimensions a little?

Only Smash could pull it off. Luke Skywalker (Vader was in SCIV), Princess Mononoke, Ripley in her yellow exoskeleton (you know you want to see her fight Ridley, c'mon), Indiana Jones, Elsa, Aladdin, Merlin from Sword in the Stone, Bond, James Bond, Rocky (versus Little Mac), Peter Venkman, Totoro. And that's not even getting into villains and monsters. Well you gotta admit you would never know what was coming in the reveals.
I get what you're saying with Nintendo dipping into movies possibly opening the gate a bit, but Sakurai pretty definitively said that Smash will only ever be for video game characters and I don't see them backtracking on that. If they aren't careful it could end up looking like kitchen sink games like MultiVersus, even with some film/tv characters who have been in a lot of games like the oft-requested Goku.

I get what you're saying with Nintendo dipping into movies possibly opening the gate a bit, but Sakurai pretty definitively said that Smash will only ever be for video game characters and I don't see them backtracking on that. If they aren't careful it could end up looking like kitchen sink games like MultiVersus, even with some film/tv characters who have been in a lot of games like the oft-requested Goku.
Ah thank you, I haven't read that. It would certainly be a fine line to tread, but with both Mario and Link having movie versions this coming generation maybe we'll still see some influences.

As a lapsed Smash Bros fan, I am probably a little more restless to see fresh ideas than most.

The rest of the villains:
Dark Matter/Void/Magolor for example.

I feel like it has to be a big 3rd party chara at this point.

lol idk, honestly I think they're going back to the drawing board.
Either that or the focus is going to be on GAAS instead of debut characters.

I made this joke on SmashBoards, but what if the reveal is a fake Smash Bros. announcement trailer and then lead into the real game: Tokyo Mirage Sessions 2.

I can already hear the crying of a million Smash fans all over the world in my brain.

Maybe some fighting here and there, but wait, it's actually someone playing on a Nintendo [REDACTED]. And then a J-Pop song blast off.

Is that or Mickey Mouse and Woody Woodpecker as the first two non-video game characters, and Disney and Universal content is segregated to Smash. Buzz Lightyear, Marty McFly, Jack Sparrow, Russell Crowe's Gladiator, Perry the Platypus, Shrek. Smash is officially Ruined Forever!™.

Last edited:
I feel like its either going to be a character from an IP that is heavily wanted by some fan bases (such as Waluigi) or someone from a new/resurrected IP from the Switch generation (Ring Fit Trainer, Mallow/Geno, etc.). I don't think a third party character will be the one to reveal the new Smash game if its like how Inkling did Smash Ultimate.

I'm expecting the new game to be more a full rebuild from the ground up. As it's probably pretty difficult (although not impossible) to gather all the licenses for all the third party IP's that were seen in Ultimate again.

Last edited:
At this point, Sakurai made it clear he doesn't want Waluigi playable lmao
Add it to the pile of evidence that Sakurai is, indeed, a man of culture.

My dream pick has always been Captain Syrup, and then they change Wario’s default back to his Land getup.
As a man of culture, Sakurai presumably understands that Waluigi is historically a usurper of Captain Syrup's rightful inclusion, and Captain Syrup rightly belongs in Smash.

I figure Captain Syrup and Ashley, both, and Wario getting a new outfit for a new Wario Land, but I do doubt this would be how a new Smash Bros. is announced.

But I do appreciate the WarioWare getup, as it's actually distinct.

someone nobody will be hyper for as the teaser and when the real big budget teasers start leon kennedy or geno.

i doubt they replace warioware with wario land,

warioware is pretty much warios identity now other than endless mario spin offs

Chun-Li is the most glaring omission from the Smash roster so it'll prolly be her.
... how?

yeah, the fact bomberman hasn't been popular in like 30 years

i find it really funny that lumberman R came out at switch launch, sold well and konami thoughit it was becasue bomberman and not just being a launch title.

bomberman R 2 is a game i dont think many people realize came out or existed ever really.

If it's more of an iterative sequel to Ultimate, then I guess they'll do the fake trailer again like they did with Splatoon.

Something like
  • Super Mario RPG 2 trailer then it transitions to Geno finding other Mario characters and then another franchise kicks in;
  • in a Mario heavy Direct, the ending is a CG-i of Mario and friends playing multiple sports, to lean everyone to think it's a Mario Sports game. Then Waluigi gets the spotlight, kicks Wario's ass and it's revealed it's the next Smash Bros. with Nintendo characters being the crowd of the stadium;
  • Ring Fit Adventure 2 gets a section on a Direct detailing DLC or something, then we get Ring Fit again and everyone goes 🙄 just so the Smash logo appears;
  • a Metroid heavy direct ends with something that resembles Dread so everyone thinks it's a port, but then Mario appears and is killed by Sylux after defeating an EMMI;
  • A direct with a lot, lot of Mario ends with Odyssey scenes, Pauline singing and all so everyone thinks it's an Odyssey remaster but then Bayonetta starts to sing the Moon part of Jump Up Super Star alongside her.

I don't see a third party character being the first reveal tbh. But they can make a more general trailer like that of Smash 4 and Brawl, moreso if we don't have Everyone is Here and they'll also make reveals of veterans a big deal.

Showing the veterans transitioning to a new artstyle/engine if it's different enough from Ultimate like Brawl did would be a blast too.

Anyways I think the most likely outcome is Ring Fit Trainer since it was a massive success. 17m units sold at 80$ while being a new IP that got revealed the previous month of the release and was supply constrained. And maybe a bombastic third party character like Master Chief alongside.

I imagine it will be some first party character. I think in the last two games the first to be revealed were Villager and Inkling? I'm not sure who it will be but I feel like Waluigi deserves to be in Smash. He's enough meme material and I think they could make a cool moveset for him.

The next Smash is probably still years away unfortunately. They haven't revealed or said anything about the next console yet and typically Smash games don't release the first year of a new consoles launch.

Brawl and Wii U/3DS had first party reveals coupled with a third party teaser. I imagine they would go back to something like that, as Ultimate did something differently for obvious reasons.

Not sure who those would be. Ring Fit Adventurer is probably the most successful new IP out of the Switch era, but I'm not sure they'd hang their hat on that as a reveal.

Third party could be anyone.

extremely popular character inside and outside of fighting games. I would've assumed her as the second SF character in the game before Ken.
Ken is the Luigi of street fighter, she’s pretty popular but not an omission really, SF has fine representation as is, give the fighting slot to guilty gear for an anime fighter (which are different from normal fighters)

Ehh... I don't see Ring Fit Trainer generating that much excitement
Did inkling from Splatoon generate any either?

Doesn’t need to be hyped if you are announcing smash, that’s hype enough on its own

I believe that the next Smash will be less about the new character revivals and more how they change up the existing core game and how this already influences standard chars like Mario.

Though if I had to choose, give me MC Horace the Horse!

Waluigi would be the most poetic for sure, and seems one of the most overdo additions.

Funky Kong would be a really fun one too.

I also REALLY think they gotta add Tom Nook and E. Gadd to the game, but doubt that they'd make either of those builds the first announcement for the next game.

Did inkling from Splatoon generate any either?

Doesn’t need to be hyped if you are announcing smash, that’s hype enough on its own
Splatoon is huge in Japan and bigger than Ring Fit everywhere. I reckon Splatoon got people excited whereas Ring Fit won't, that was the point of my reply.

If it doesn't matter which character is in the first trailer because Smash is all its own hype, why even have this thread?

If they want the announcement to make a splash, it has to be Crash.

Or Ellie from The Last of Us, because why not.

MC Horace Showpony would objectively be the funniest way to reveal a new Smash game
Though if I had to choose, give me MC Horace the Horse!

As much as the suggestion could come across as a joke, I could see the possibility that this actually works. MC Horace is an easy opportunity to have a character literally announce a new Super Smash Bros. He doesn't even have to be confirmed in the announcement.

We had a thread a little while back about what characters people would select for a reboot, and my methodology left a space where MC Horace was the best option I could add. Wasn't sure about it, though, especially with so few characters. Never did get around to posting it.

I legitimately think it’s going to be Waluigi. He’s the type of character both Nintendo fans and normies have been clamoring since forever.

Splatoon is huge in Japan and bigger than Ring Fit everywhere. I reckon Splatoon got people excited whereas Ring Fit won't, that was the point of my reply.

If it doesn't matter which character is in the first trailer because Smash is all its own hype, why even have this thread?
Splatoon was such a given I really doubt anyone was actually going

“WHAT THE FUCK INKLING IS IN?!?!?!”

those reveals tend to be the ones that gain traction online.

I doubt they get that succes from ultimate and then decide nah let’s not, with fan fave characters being added in ultimate that’s gotta come in the form of characters that feel impossible.

Whoever reveal first can be like bandanna waddle dee, deserving but not really important in the grand scale of things.

I can't imagine there are more than 3 people on this planet who'd be excited for the ring fit character, which was a fad mainly because of the pandemic.
It’s an internal Nintendo title that sold in the tens of millions. If Wii Fit got a rep, Ring Fit will get a rep.

and that Ring Fit rep will do reps, because it's gonna be my boy Dragaux!

dragaux-ring-fit-adventure.gif

also the Ring Con to me has big "new item" energy, that like gives the player fire hair and shoots blasts when you are running or whatever

like imagine Marth and Kirby and them running around with the Ring Cons, head on fire... it's perfect for Smash

Back
Top Bottom