• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What new character reveal will kickstart the next Smash Bros rollout?

Leviraps

Moblin
Pronouns
He/him
I was just thinking about how out of all newcomers and incumbents, Inkling was the first character shown for Smash Ultimate as a surprise reveal. This was an excellent use of misdirection as it was right after Octo-Expansion was unveiled.

I think the next time they show Smash it’ll be a surprise as well. Which new character do you think they’ll show first to kickstart the reveal of the next entry? I think the fact that Inkling was chosen would mean we’d see a new 1st party rep first.

62d904f510027fc2578a834389bf8113679e93d7.gifv

Ring Fit Trainer almost certainly. Both Smash 4 and Ultimate first revealed prominent Nintendo EPD characters from a series without a fighter in Smash.

oatchi would probably have to be one of the first characters they reveal, he's like about the only major character from an EPD series not to be in smash as of now. i think i'd also put my money on waluigi, failing those two who the hell knows we don't even know what the next smash is gonna do regarding the roster anyway

oatchi would probably have to be one of the first characters they reveal, he's like about the only major character from an EPD series not to be in smash as of now. i think i'd also put my money on waluigi, failing those two who the hell knows we don't even know what the next smash is gonna do regarding the roster anyway
If they had Waluigi be the character that reveals a new Smash is coming, that'd be Maximum Meme Material and I'd be here for it

Waluigi is going to have the biggest reveal. I dunno if that means he's going ti be the first one though.

Ring Fit obviously

If they want to follow it up with a more hype-inducing reveal at the same event like Smash 4 did with Mega Man, I could Monster Hunter showing up afterwards since it's a pretty big no-brainer as far as third parties go

Ring Fit Trainer closely (if not immediately) followed by Waluigi, or vice versa. I don't think Ring Fit is a big enough reveal to stand on its own, to the extent that it would be seen as a clone of Wii Fit Trainer.

If it's going to be similar to the Splatoon reveal, then it might be a character that hasn't had representation yet like the Inklings were. So I could see it be somebody from Advance Wars or another series that hasn't been in Smash yet.

Let's go for the chaos option and have it be Alear from Engage.

I could totally see them announcing a sequel to Super Mario RPG and then right after revealing Geno as a character for the next Smash.
Not to put too fine a point on it but I'm willing to bet that not only will Geno not be in the next Smash, he won't even be in any sequel Mario RPG should it get a direct sequel.

EDIT: Real answer, Elma from Xenoblade X (and now wishcasting) leading into a reveal of X Definitive Edition.

Last edited:

Considering how timely the remake is with the likely development of the next Smash kicking into full swing, I legit think this is Geno's best chance ever to join Smash and make it a big deal. Starting the hype train with one of the characters who's been being requested the longest? It just works out well for setting the stage for the next newcomers, no matter how big or small they are, because all the existing fans who live and breathe Smash will already be set to hype mode until release from minute one with Geno on board.

Someone like Inkling would be good too; a character who really sets the expectations of a major new Nintendo IP from the Switch era... I just don't really know who would be on the same level as Inklings for that. Sportsmates, Officer Howard, or Ringfit just don't feel like they have that energy, even if one (or all) could be reasonable picks for the roster in general. Just not quite "start the hypetrain" material, at least IMO.

They'll announce Golden Sun 4 and move straight into a trailer that confirms Isaac (or Felix) for the next Smash

🥲

Depends on how they want to reveal the game.

If they want to pull the same switcheroo that they did with Splatoon, then looking at all the big series that could fit that "one more thing" role to make the fake out work, then I think a new Zelda character would be the best choice. Announce a new 2D game, follow it up with a trailer that looks like it could be for a new Warriors... then bam, Smash Bros. logo.

If they want us to know that it's Smash Bros. from the jump, then it'll probably toss in a series that has no fighter representation yet. I would love if a RH rep rang in the next entry of the series, but I'm going to say that Issac from Golden Sun feels a good bet for being in such a reveal trailer.

Although Bomberman is objectively the biggest no-brainer (he should have been there alongside Sonic, Pac Man and Mega Man), I wouldn't call him a hype character exactly.

Master Chief and Lara Croft are IMO the biggest third parties left, but they smell like DLC to me.

It'll have to be Waluigi 🌹

i agree it’ll be Ring Fit but it’ll be my friend Dragaux rather than the player character

My guess is it won't be like 4 or Ultimate, they'll do a reveal more like Brawl showing off old characters in the new engine. That would let the first newcomer be someone from an existing IP.

I don’t think it will be Ring Fit; the Smash audience would be super annoying if that was the first reveal.

I will go with Geno because Nintendo isn’t cool enough to choose Mallow.

Can't think of one thats a big enough crowd pleaser. I imagine they reveal a couple characters at once instead. (Technically Smash 4 did this too with Mega Man's reveal immediately after the first trailer)

The last two game's first trailers were revealed with series' first characters from mega hit internal IP like Animal Crossing and Splatoon. Nintendo doesn't have any series of that type currently left to fill in for them. The closest is obviously Ring Fit Adventure but because that leans more towards a broader non-character specific type franchise I'd assume it would be closer to a Wii Fit type reveal rather than their core in-house character ensemble that Nintendo puts forth as the faces of their brand. Basically you don't see character merch for RFA like you do with Splatoon or Pikmin or what have you, so I dont really consider Ring Fit Trainee a wise decision there to be the first or only reveal to sell people on a new game.

Their alternative I guess is a 3rd party reveal but even then the mega hit IP that can appeal to everyone is kinda limited. I guess something like Monster Hunter or even Fortnite would fit best there.

yeah. they're for 10/20somethings on social media, none of whom would give a shit about ring fit
it's definitely the most tunnel visioned i've seen nintendo fans wrt smash

yeah. they're for 10/20somethings on social media, none of whom would give a shit about ring fit
it's definitely the most tunnel visioned i've seen nintendo fans wrt smash

According to Nintendo, many of the day one buyers in Japan, Europe, and the United States are aged between "20 to 30 years old, and a lot of them are women".

The people with tunnel vision are not the ones you're talking about

going with a mario character but not waluigi. instead give me toad. like come on. biggest nintendo character left that isn't in the roster. reveal 7-8 veterans including 2 or 3 veteran third parties cap it off with toad and then idk chrono for the nursing home residents. that feels like a good reveal right there.

At best - it would be a character from a new IP (if not, perhaps something old that’s been overdue for Smash characters?).

Splatoon character definitely - could be Octoling with a separate kit, could be someone like Agent 8.

Yes. Bomberman has more history with Nintendo than almost all the third party characters put together. It's a weird omission. Something clearly went wrong somewhere.
The first third party character added to Smash was Solid Snake, "history with Nintendo" has never been a significant mitigating factor for third party guests.

Some Potential First Party candidates:
  • Waluigi
  • Pauline
  • Captain Toad
  • King Boo
  • Geno
  • Impa or Purah
  • Beedle or Tingle
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Tom Nook
  • Meowscarada
  • Noah / Mio
  • Ring Fit Trainer or Dragaux
  • Oatchi
  • Octoling
  • Balloon Fighter
  • Master Hand (smash rep?)
Some “Big Splash” Third Party candidates:
  • Second Sonic character (Tails/Knuckles/Eggman)
  • Master Chief
  • Doom Slayer
  • Gordon Freeman
  • Lara Croft
  • Bomberman
  • Jonsey/Fortnite rep
  • Crash or Spiro
  • Any PlayStation IP (unlikely)
  • Dragonborn
  • Dark Souls rep
  • Scorpion or sub-zero
  • Chrono