• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What is your secondary console and why?

What other current gen consoles do you have?

• Just a PS5

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Just an Xbox Series

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • Just Steam

Votes: 23 20.0%
  • A combination of two of the above

Votes: 15 13.0%
  • A combination of three of the above

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • I only game on Switch

Votes: 22 19.1%
  • This poll doesn't apply to me (I don't have a Switch/it's not my main)

Votes: 13 11.3%

• Total voters
Series S. There was a period where Switch was my secondary around 2020-2022 and Xbox One/Series S was my main. For the last 1-2 years I'm playing Switch mostly.

Series S. From 2017 to late 2021 Switch was my only system, but I got a slightly discounted Series S in late 2021 to play GamePass titles like Halo Infinite and Psychonauts 2. I've only periodically subscribed to GP for a few months at a time (like just a few months ago to play stuff like Starfield and Cocoon), and buy the occasional game that isn't on Switch (Baldur's Gate 3, Expanse, Mass Effect Legendary Edition).

So my Series S doesn't get a huge amount of time or money relative to my Switch, which remains my main system, but it has enabled me to affordably play games I'd otherwise have missed.

I have a Steam account which I moatly use for online multiplayer games but console wise my secondary is a PS4. It was my ResidentEvil/Bloodborne machine for a bit and now I mostly playSF6 on it. Glad we're still getting so many cross gen. I have zero interest in spending 500$+ on a new game machine right now and the PS4 visuals are more than enough for me right now. Plus there's a ton of PS4 games I missed out on I want to check out like DeathStranding, FF7Remake and ResidentEvil2 Remake.

Mostly PS5 (and Steam, but I primarily use it on a weak computer and to play past-gen titles and indies, so I don’t count it).

I’d consider both my main platforms, where the one I use depends on what game I feel like playing and how well I feel it fits that platform - for example, if multiplatform, I’ll usually get a FPS or action adventure game on PS5, but something like a JRPG or visual novel is something I’ll always get on Switch.

Switch has been my main console pretty much since day one, and I'd say PC comes right after (steam + gamepass)
I've finally had a couple of games to play on the PS5 lately, but since I play Nintendo, ATLUS and indie stuff mostly, the PS5 has turned into a nice but not-very-pretty piece of furniture

Reading this post makes me feel pretty behind. Switch is my main, and PS4 Pro is my secondary along with Steam. There just isn't enough in the newest generation of consoles to merit picking one up for me.

The Switch is my main gaming console. I have a PS5 and Steam Deck for secondaries. Have never had a gaming PC.

I only play videogames on my Nintendo Switch. I have a Steam account with some games bought but it's been years since I last played anything on it since I only use my laptop to study. I might come back to play something on PC eventually, but for now I'm super happy with Switch only (I mostly play on handheld mode btw).

0YYKGbu.png

you guys have money for a secondary console???

Lately, my Switch is my secondary console. I've been playing my PS5 a lot more, since several games I have wanted to play aren't coming to Switch. I finished TOTK late last year and haven't picked up my Switch since.

I have all 3 consoles and a Gaming PC that's now obsolete so abandoned (no interest in going back to that crap again).
I use the PS5 most recently, Switch is more the secondary console now, once Switch 2 comes out , things will change.
The Series X is used little, I have a pile of Gamepass stuff to try though.
I'd be best off with just the current playstation and Nintendo Console and that's it.

I tried the console world with the Series X, but never found what I was searching for. So I went back to my PC as main gaming platform. So my Switch is my secondary console, which I love for all the games I can only play on Switch (Xenoblades, Zeldas, Marios) and the Games which just belong on it (Ace Attorney).

My secondary option is a PS4 because it’s what could run Nier Automata back in the day. Other than that the games I play in there are limited to stuff that runs downright awful on Switch.

I don’t feel like buying a PS5 or an XBOX. My PS4 collects dust 90% of the year.

I’ve been playing games on PC longer than Steam has been around. Where’s that option?

I also buy PC games through GOG, Humble, and Itch and I don’t see those listed too. So am I actually playing on 5 platforms if I include Switch?

Im just talking about not calling Steam a plattform, when it certainly is. A big reason for Steams dominance in the PC market is because people view it as more than "just a store".

The Steam Deck would not have been possible if Steam was just a store.

I mean, nowadays, both pubs and devs refers to Steam in the marketing as a platform, "Coming to the Steam platform" or having a Steam logo instead of the old PC logo.

It's PS5, Xbox, Switch, Steam
Not PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

in games marketing

I own everything but I'm pretty much all Switch/PS5. I think I play maybe 2 or 3 games on Steam each year at this point and only because they're games that aren't on console like Void Stranger or Pizza Tower or currently Dragon's Dogma 2 since I can actually make it run generally fine there. I have a Series X but the only actual game I purchased in the last year was Forza, everything else has been on gamepass so it has its uses.

It's the Playdate, and I'm not joking. Not that I spend a lot of time doing any gaming these days.

When I first got a decent gaming PC a ~dozen years back X360 and PS3 stopped being very relevant since most of the games I was interested in for those platforms I could get on PC, and that percentage has only increased with time.

Switch first;

PS4 is the secondary platform when there's the rare game that I want to play that is not on a Nintendo system;

then there's PC/Steam as the last option.

My main system alternates among ps5, switch, and pc. Right now I'm mainly on PS5 because of unicorn overlord and tekken 8 but will go back to PC when I continue my classic tomb raider trilogy playthrough. I might possibly never turn on my switch again at this point unless monolith soft/retro studios release something, otherwise I'm holding off on playing 2023/2024 switch games for the next system.

I only have Switch for modern games. Well, technically my MacBook as well, but it's almost never used.

I regularly used my MacBook, Analogue Pocket, 3DS and DSi for retrogaming. Sometimes the Wii U for multiplayer nights.

I have them all. Xbox Series X, Xbox series s, PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch and Asus Rog Ally.

So I just play whatever I feel like.

I can't really call it a secondary console as I play my Switch and PS5 almost evenly. Xbox is a fairly distant third though.

I bought PS5 solely for the FFVII Remake trilogy. I doubt I’ll get PS6 unless Part 3 is exclusive to it. I am otherwise a Nintendo fanboy.

I think what my secondary platform was has shifted quite a bit over the close-to-thirty years I've been playing video games, so I'll try to make a timeline:

1995 to 2005: PC primary, Nintendo 64 and later GameCube secondary
Got into gaming when I was around 7, 8 years old. My parents had a laptop with a disc drive that I could play games on, later I got a Nintendo 64 from my communion money and was given my own PC when I entered high school. Console gaming was strictly limited - first an hour a day, then only on Saturday mornings "after I did my chores" (so basically two hours per week unless my dad wanted to watch some race, then it was more-or-less cancelled), meaning the PC was the system I could play on freely.

2005 to 2009: PS2 and GBA primary, GameCube/Wii secondary, PC tertiary until 2007
Got a PS2 for my 18th birthday and around the same time, I had purchased a new monitor with SCART and Component inputs, so I had more freedom to play console games. Around the same time, I got into handheld gaming via the GBA which kinda became my other main system for quite a while. Started falling off of PC gaming outside of some older titles and the OG Guild Wars and in 2007 I sold my PC to purchase a MacBook.

2009 to 2013: PSP and DS primary, PSWii60 secondary
Yes, I owned all three home consoles (the first and only generation where this had ever happened), but since I was at my dorm room at uni a lot during this period, these systems fell by the wayside and I even went so far as to sell my Xbox360 (which I kinda regret nowadays) and kept only the Wii and the PS3 (which still serves as my BD player).

2013 to 2017: 3DS primary, PC and Vita secondary
I started getting back into PC gaming in about 2013, when Valve's Steam became available on MacOS. After a while, I wanted to explore gaming on Windows again and started using a laptop for that purpose while the MacBook was relegated to being an uni device. Like the years prior, I focussed on handhelds, but the 3DS got more attention from me than the Vita by a wide margin. Also, I thought all the home consoles from Gen 8 sucked. Oh wait. I still think that.

2017 to now: Switch primary, PC secondary
For my 30th Birthday, I bought a Switch with Breath of the Wild and it has been my main gaming device ever since. For pretty much everything else, I have a PC and while I do use Steam, I don't use it exclusively any more and purchase my games at other services and even key sites. I also went and fulfilled a long-time dream of building my own PC.

Future prediction: Switch 2 and PC primary, PS5 secondary.
At this point, I'm considering buying a PS5 mainly for the purpose of having a 4K BD player. With the rise of handheld PCs, I think I might take a dip into that particular territory, as it suits my gaming interests well. And yes, buying a Switch 2 or whatever is very much a lock-in if Nintendo stays with the hybrid form factor.

Last edited:
Just a Switch is more than enough for me. If they stopped releasing Switch games tomorrow, between my backlog and wishlist, and at my current pace of how many I tend to finish each year, I’ve got about 14 years worth of games to play ahead of me.

Nearly 20 years ago I had two portables and two home consoles but these days Switch covers 95% of the games I want to play, it just doesn’t seem necessary for me to have anything else.
This is basically me. I just have a Switch and I'm considering waiting for the Switch 2 to develop a library of games before I get it. I want to trim down my backlog but that's a difficult task.

I've seen folks say this year has been a wasteland for the Switch and maybe if you're strictly into Nintendo games but I'm interested in Balatro, Unicorn Overlord, Prince of Persia, amongst others.

Back
Top Bottom