• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What is your secondary console and why?

What other current gen consoles do you have?

• Just a PS5

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Just an Xbox Series

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • Just Steam

Votes: 23 20.0%
  • A combination of two of the above

Votes: 15 13.0%
  • A combination of three of the above

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • I only game on Switch

Votes: 22 19.1%
  • This poll doesn't apply to me (I don't have a Switch/it's not my main)

Votes: 13 11.3%

• Total voters

Waluigilicious

Piranha Plant
Those of you who mainly game on your Switch, what other current consoles do you have?

And if you have others, where do you tend to buy third party games?

For me I get by with just a Switch, and I have an Xbox S purely for Game Pass as the price really was too good to be true. There's just so much to play on Switch for me that I really can't justify entering a second ecosystem.

PC (c’mon Steam is a store not a platform) because some things like Point & Click adventure games and strategy/management games just feel better with a mouse.

Also you often get indies much sooner than console.

It really depends on game releases as to what is primary and secondary between Switch and PS5 for me - currently the PS5 has had a lot of action playing TLOU Pt 2 Remastered and Rebirth this year (and will probably play Hi Fi Rush after Rebirth) while Switch has been pretty quiet so far (for me personally) and I watch streaming services/blu rays etc... on PS5

Typically, PlayStation is my mid to late generation second console for third party games not on Nintendo and because I like Sony’s first party games more than Microsoft’s. If money, time, and shelf space weren’t personal barriers, I’d get everything.

The Switch. I'm mainly a PC guy who has to play Nintendo stuff somehow

It's PC in my case. I only rarely play games not on Switch, but for the few, I prefer the PC ecosystem (Steam) above everything else, mostly due to its relatively open nature and the options that come with it. I don't see any reason to pick up a PS over PC hardware at this point in time.

I have a PS5 but I basically don't use it, kind of regret buying it. I thought I could make use of the Blu-Ray disc player for 4K content, but even that I find myself not using much at all. Bought a couple of 4K Blu-Rays to watch on my OLED, and then never touched that functionality again, lol. Streaming quality is good enough.

My PC + Switch basically are my go to platforms.

I won't be buying a PS6. Whatever games Sony makes, I can wait for them to come to PC.

pc and switch have been my only way to game for the past 7 or so years now. it's honestly kinda perfect; you get the consistently high-quality first party output and portability from the switch, while you get significantly better third party support, performance and customization on pc.

Xbox Series X. Gamepass gives me the most third party games for free and it looks great on the OLED. Plays Blu rays and streams everything as well. I have a PS5 but I hate the controller and I don't have any games to play on it that can't be played on Xbox Series X or switch.

I'll admit to a level of fangirlism, I will buy new Nintendo hardware, day one, every time, regardless of my economic circumstances, because I want to experience it and what they'll do with it. This has caveats; it doesn't apply to accessories, it doesn't apply to downgrades. I've been like this since 2015. Once I have it, I'm prudent about software, I don't dogmatically stick to physical or digital, I pick up games I know I want to play, and in the cheaper of the two formats. Usually that's digital because of Game Voucher, sometimes it's physical because of pre-order promotions or retailer specific sales.

Where does that leave me? Well, I spend a lot keeping up with Nintendo's releases, because as it turns out I want to play MOST of their output, but it doesn't scratch every itch. I also tire, from time to time, of gimmicks, and I have a 4K TV that the Switch doesn't compliment. I also tried PC gaming, and broadly, didn't have much fun.

That left me, more or less, with Xbox Series X. At the time, Sony's PS+ Collection wasn't serving like it does today, and even now, Game Pass Ultimate is cheaper. It was a 4K console I could pick up in the middle of the sheer boredom of the pandemic's first year, pay a pittance a month, and play the stuff that just wasn't on Switch. It was sequels, remasters, or just plain 4K re-releases of games I remember from the 360 days. For a year, I purchased nothing on Xbox Series X, really, nothing! I just played Game Pass because there was and still is far too much to play in one lifetime. Once that barrier was broken though, I'll admit, Xbox Series X has become my default for Indies if they're there. They're often cheaper, and they usually run and look better.

As my life has changed and become less on the go, especially so during the pandemic and subsequent move to more doing things from home, I haven't felt the need to "Switch" my Switch. So I don't lose functionality by playing on Xbox, either.

As for PlayStation, well, I got a PS5, set it up and was... Thoroughly unimpressed with the build quality, included software and comfort of the controller, so I just returned it. Oh well. 😅

I might pick up a PS5 later in the generation when the price sees a serious cut, but I'm not sure how feasible that even is.

I also happen to love Forza Horizon and dislike PC gaming, which probably means I'm sticking with Xbox until Microsoft ends the line, whenever that is. I don't see Forza Horizon hitting Switch 2 or PS5 day one anytime soon. Certainly NOT on their subscription services.

I mostly play Switch.

Got an Xbox Series X (and S for the bedroom) for games I either can’t play on Switch, or would rather play on Xbox for one reason or another.

No interest in PS5 at all.

PCs are, to me, where I work. I don’t wanna go to one to play games.

I might buy a Steam Deck at some point.

PC aside, I haven’t upgraded my Xbox One X to a current gen console yet, and I don’t see it happening until at least next year when GTA VI and Monster Hunter Wilds might push me over the edge, depending on what the Switch 2 and PC release situations for those games are.

My platform of choice is pretty much.

PC (main platform) -> Switch/PS5 (exclusives or want physical Collector Edition versions of) -> Series X (mainly stream tv shows or movies on just so it can be used for something).

My PC is pretty much the all-around device that I can use to stream on my gaming monitors or hook up to my TV and a DualSense/Xbox controller and play it on a bigger screen while sitting on a couch. With the release of PC handhelds like the Steam Deck and ROG Ally, its taken some of the Switch's thunder. But it doesn't beat things I still want physical versions of to sell off later. I originally bought the Series X when I thought they still had games exclusive to owning a console through Game Pass, but realized they either removed that limitation or maybe I just completely misunderstood or something with the Cloud Streaming service at least. Probably wouldn't have got a Series X otherwise.

I have all of them, but going forward I expect to be either Nintendo/Steam Deck only or if Microsoft's handheld ends up being really nice get that instead of Steam Deck

Switch = Primary

XSX = Secondary

Owned the original Xbox and 360, but skipped XBOne. Grabbed XSX because of backwards compatibility and Game Pass. I love it.

Just Switch (or just Nintendo systems, rather). I have zero interest in other platforms and far too many Nintendo games to play as is that even if I wanted a non-Nintendo console, I’d pretty much never play it because Nintendo games will always take priority for me.

I do occasionally play a select few mobile games (mainly just Pikmin Bloom, Pokémon Sleep, and Super Mario Run right now), and on very rare occasions I’ll play a short game on my Mac (for example, Deltarune before it came to Switch, or more recently Sonic Dream Team), but I don’t really consider either of those to be secondary gaming platforms to me, and whenever I do play a mobile or PC game it’s pretty much never solely because I want to play that game, and there’s almost always some other ulterior reason that makes me play it—for example, I play Pikmin Bloom as motivation to walk more; Pokémon Sleep for motivation to sleep better; Super Mario Run for the Platinum Points; Deltarune on PC because I wanted to play it early so I can avoid being spoiled; and Sonic Dream Team because I happened to have a free trial of Apple Arcade and figured I may as well make use of it. Plus it’s not like I bought my computer or phone specifically to play games, they just happen to be devices which give me access to some games. There was a time when I was more interested in Nintendo’s mobile games, but Miitomo being shut down basically destroyed any real interest I had in that area. I’ll probably download any new mobile game from Nintendo just to check it out, but unless it gives me other reasons to continue playing, I’m not gonna bother with the game much at all. After all, they’re all just going to be shut down eventually anyway…

Honestly, I couldn’t imagine trying to juggle other consoles while playing everything I want to experience on Nintendo systems at the same time, and it honestly makes me sad that there seem to be so few people who I can relate to when it comes to this, because I never really encounter other people who also like to experience virtually everything from Nintendo—while genuinely enjoying playing it all, too—and overall make it a priority to try to experience each Nintendo system to its absolute fullest. (And this thread’s poll results clearly reflect that, too; how is it that there aren’t more Nintendo-exclusive gamers on a fucking Nintendo forum, of all places?!) I can’t even play everything I want to while sticking exclusively to Nintendo systems, and that would only get much worse if I were to try to juggle other consoles on top of that. It would necessitate skipping a lot of games and picking and choosing only certain standout games to play, and that’s just not something I would ever be interested in doing. Fortunately, I’m also not interested in games on non-Nintendo systems anyway, so the choice is easy for me.

Last edited:
Just steam on pc. Even though my pc is highly outdated, I consider myself a pc gamer now, I have no interest in playstations or xboxes anymore. My gaming go-to is basically steam and Nintendo.

I have a Switch and I have a PC/Steam Deck, and in practice they basically trade back and forth for which could be considered primary or secondary

generally speaking, all things being equal I prefer to buy/play games on Switch. But if there's gonna be a huge and noticeable performance difference or if it's something that I know is just never gonna come to a Nintendo platform, or if there's a Steam sale/humble bundle that's just too good to pass up, I'll go with PC instead

Sometimes (for example last year roughly from when Pikmin 4 came out up til the holidays) I'll go months and barely play anything on PC because I'm hyper-fixated on Switch games; then other times (these past few weeks for instance) I'll be so focused on my Steam backlog that I end up not spending much time on my Switch

XSX is my primary. I'd say Switch is my secondary, but I haven't played it since October, so... even calling it secondary is a stretch. My Meta Quest 2 gets more play than the Switch these days.

But I'm thinking that by this time next year my answer could be very different:
Switch 2: Primary
PS5 Pro: Secondary

That's the dream, anyway.

PS5 is my primary. Xbox Series S is for Gamepass. Switch is for exclusives and portability on less graphically demanding stuff. Steam Deck for PC stuff and emulation, also a portability consideration, but it is bulkier than the Switch and I find the latter more comfortable.

I have a Series S I bought using Microsoft rewards points to cover half the cost but I find myself using it less lately I still have a large backlog on the Switch and I'm at the point where I want to replay my favourites again I'm actually gravitating towards been a single platform gamer again because I keep asking myself why own more hardware when the Switch already has more than I can keep up with.

Without condemning, nor understanding; I condone.
look, if someone can get me Switch ports of:
  • Paper Mario: Color Splash
  • Yoshi’s Woolly World
  • Wii Sports Club Baseball
  • The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Pokémon Pinball Advance
  • Rhythm Heaven (any)
  • A Handful of DS Games
  • Year Walk
off the top of my head, I’ll let the poor thing rest in peace.

and if someone can get me ports of:
  • Mole Mania
  • Pokémon (G1/G2)
  • Pokémon Pinball
  • Donkey Kong Land 1/2/3
  • Kirby Pinball Land
with optional bonuses:
  • DS+3DS Kirbys
  • DS Castlevanias
  • DS+3DS Pokémon
  • Mario & Luigis for good measure?
I can probably let the 2DS XL rest in peace too.

and if somebody got me ports of:
  • Kirby Air Ride
  • Starfox Assault
  • Super Smash Brothers Melee
  • Soulcalibur II
  • All Hawks Tony
I could probably let someone to throw my GameCube off a cliff.

and if somebody snagged:
  • Super Smash Brothers (64)
  • Hey You, Pikachu!
  • Mischief Makers
  • All N64 Hawks Tony
You could kick my N64 into the sun. Unless I already sold it… which I think I did.

and I might still need my 2021 second-hand PS4 Slim out of sheer curiosity, but my experience suggests that if I got ports of:
  • Dark Souls II
  • Dark Souls III
  • Elden Ring
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  • Journey? Maybe??
  • maaaaybe some more Final Fantasy for me to collect and then just not be able to get into at all
then I could probably ditch that too!

(the “big serious” games just don’t click with me for whatever reason… but the Hollow Knight + Dark Souls Switch sold me on Souls)

hell, if you give me both Monument Valleys, I’m probably all set to throw my phone in the ocean too

throw in a handful of Half-Lifes and I’ll ditch Steam

that’s my wishlist Nintendo, get to it and I’ll never need another console as long as the switchquel is backwards compatible

Last edited:
Just a Switch is more than enough for me. If they stopped releasing Switch games tomorrow, between my backlog and wishlist, and at my current pace of how many I tend to finish each year, I’ve got about 14 years worth of games to play ahead of me.

Nearly 20 years ago I had two portables and two home consoles but these days Switch covers 95% of the games I want to play, it just doesn’t seem necessary for me to have anything else.

Last edited:
is that a portbegging high score or

I have a PS5 that I pretty much only use to play Gran Turismo, Yakuza and the odd game that doesn't have a Switch port/has an objectively terrible Switch port. But other than that I'm so over the AAAAAAAAAAA games. I'm not allergic to 30FPS so the Switch is more than good enough for me for most games. If there's a game I need at 60FPS then I have my PS5 for that.

I used to do a bit of PC gaming, but I'm past my TF2 days sadly. And it rubs me the wrong way that Valve still monetizes a dead game that they can't even bother to get rid of the hackers from. And honestly I don't like using Steam. If I'm ever gaming on my laptop it's probably to play some good old fashioned solitaire or Civilization.

secondary console??? how much free time do you people have?
Not enough to play all the games in my backlog, certainly, but I do own and play on all four platforms. Certainly the Switch alone would suffice to cover my free time, but I'm glad I didn't miss out on, e.g., God of War Ragnarok/Valhalla and Street Fighter 6.

Edit: I'd estimate I average 12-15 hours a week of free time between board games, TV/movies, and video games.

Last edited:
I use my PC for gaming probably at least 80-90% of the time so its my primary platform. The Switch/PS5 are my secondary systems as they only get usage for games that I buy physical that I want to play on them as a result or exclusive titles to those platforms.

Playing a majority of my gaming time on Baldurs Gate 3/WoW/Dragons Dogma 2/etc. on PC, every so often a game like FFVII Rebirth/Sony exclusives on PS5 or Unicorn Overlord/Nintendo exclusives on Switch comes out that I use those systems.

Just picked up a PS5 last November to upgrade my secondary console from PS4. It's mostly for stuff like Spider-Man 2 that are exclusive and I want to play. It's also nice for the best performance I can get of things like Persona 3 Reload (which my impatient self couldn't wait for the inevitable Switch 2 port down the line)

I do some gaming on Steam too, though my laptop isn't that powerful. I went through the Trails in the Sky trilogy on that last year but idk when I'll return to Steam with what my laptop can handle

Nintendo has been secondary to me ever since the Wii, basically, when the third party support started getting spotty. So that’s what Switch currently is.

I've been PC/Nintendo since a while back. I think that if I had the leeway I'd game more on PC, but handhelds just fit better into my current lifestyle.

Double the consoles, double the backlog of games you buy but will never play

Switch was my primary console for years, but at this point I have pretty much every major console plus a Steam Deck. I’d say the PS5 is actually my primary console now. XSS, PC/Deck , and Switch are all about equal. The PS5 is my default console, and the rest all have specific use cases (Nintendo exclusive, Game Pass game, etc).

For me personally it doesn't have much to do with free time and more to do with what I'm interested in at the moment. Like right now nothing on the Switch really interests me that much, so I'm playing Street Fighter 6 and Dragon's Dogma 2. Whenever a new Switch game I want comes out, that will probably be my main platform for as long as I'm playing that game. Sometimes I alternate between the two, but usually I'm still spending a relatively similar amount of time, just between more than one platform. I don't find it that hard to do personally.

So I mostly play on the Switch. The system is perfect for me with how I can travel with it. I go on a lot of trips so I get to take advantage of the travel capabilities a lot. But for my secondary console, its really just a combintation of all three of the other platforms. I do the most on the Xbox since I have game pass, which I get to play yakuza, a lot of major releases like starfield and lies of P, along with a lot of smaller indie games like spirit fairer.

Steam/PC is next, but honestly its because I mostly play swtor on there. I do try to play other games on PC but for some reason I just want to go back to consoles, and I am not sure why. Maybe its because it feels like I have to put more work into my rig to get games to work that makes it not as inciting to me. I say that, but I also use it for randomizers. I have played a lot of ocarina and super metroid randomizers and I don't think I will stop any time soon.

PS5 is....well its pretty much my Spider-man system with a hint of Ratchet and Clank. Honestly I don't think I would even have the system if it weren't for those two franchise. So, thanks insomniac games. for creating great system seller games.

For a long time it was my 3ds to my PS4.

Currently technically PC primarily, Xbox Series S as a little bonus box for multiplayer.

Kept convincing myself I'd finally get into a wider variety of 3rd parties, indies and xbox exclusives. But I think I was fooling myself.

Switch as a distant 3rd place.

Now that I have played everything I want on PS4 and my + sub is done, its finally mostly retired although it was a 50:50 split my switch in earlier years.

PC main
Switch for nitnendo

you literally end up getting every game with that combo really.

Xbox h as 0 exclusives
PS5 keeps exclusives for a bit and then they come.

nintendo is the only console with exclusives, everything else goes to pc eventually,

Back
Top Bottom