• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler What do you want to see in Metroid 6?

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him
Spoilers in this thread for dread + other Metroid games

With Metroid Dead being a smashing success, it looks like the future for Metroid and especially 2d Metroid is brighter than ever. I'm guessing Metroid 6 has been greenlit or will be soon. What does Fami want in the next game. Who do you want to develop it? Should mercury steam stay? What things in from dread do you want to stay or be improved?

I honestly really liked Dread and want the next game just to be more like it but I do wish that the next game is longer and will have more secrets. I think the difficulty is fine and they should keep it around the same level

More unique items as well as placement for said items. What we have is great and all (especially Speed Booster, that's a staple that should never be removed again at this point), but it gets repetitive following the same progression every single game.

Dread was definitely a big step in the right direction in this regard with several great new items (Flash Shift, Cross Bombs, Storm Missiles) and some steps taken to vary up the early game progression a bit (getting Morph Ball so late was a really interesting twist). But I'd still like to see it taken further.

I'd like to see them go further in brand new power-ups for Samus. Dread had a lot of really fun ones like the storm missiles and flash shift.

More optional things, a lot more

It was good to stick to a more traditional Metroid since there hasn’t been a new one in 19 years, but now that we got that it’s time to change it up some for future games

A
“rage mode” where Samus temporarily taps into her Metroid Side and we get the Metroid Suit with an UNLIMITED POWER hyper canon

Honestly I think Dread is a peak in the series, with progression being a great mix between old Metroids and Fusion. Also the gameplay was really good. They did a great job and took the best direction imo. So the only things I would like is :
  1. New mechanics: the new abilities in Dread were really cool and I would love to see fresh mechanics and powerups in the future
  2. A whole new storyline that change a lot from what we saw in the first arc.

I agree with a significant amount of new upgrades, and maybe even removing or retooling existing ones. Like, Samus has had basically the same core upgrade path since the beginning with a couple additional options here and there. I want more mix-ups.

I wanted Dread to be a return to form which it was, now? I’m down with them taking risks and playing with Samus’ moveset even more.

In terms of gameplay - Devil Trigger-like metroid mode which has its own upgrades and uses for combat and exploration, make Samus start with stuff like morph ball and bombs and allow for more unique upgrades. And honestly? Cut or heavily retool the grapple beam lmao. It’s always been kinda clunky.

In terms of story - no federation, no space Pirates. Expand the universe like the Prime 2 did with the luminoth but even more. Metroid takes place in an entire Galaxy, there should be tons of cool new locations and lots to explore

A
“rage mode” where Samus temporarily taps into her Metroid Side and we get the Metroid Suit with an UNLIMITED POWER hyper canon
I feel like this is Prime 3's Hypermode.

Now that I think about it, the game's themes are pretty similar, lol

I haven't played dread yet, I'm playing through Zero mission and will Super Metroid, but it just kinda seems that environments and the 2D bosses can be kinda samey throughout the franchise?

Would be neat to have a 2D game were you're not exploring caverns or abandoned facilities.
But again, I just started the franchise not too long ago.

A second playable character.

Seriously, the only, and I do mean ONLY thing that I want Metroid to cite from IGA's games is the idea of having an extra character to replay the game with a unique moveset that offers a different playstyle to try, and new tactics to master. I see all those Chozo soldier boss fights with spears, and only got to wish I could play as one with an entirely melee-based moveset.

If...
the final Chozo Memory really is teasing a new character, he'd be my top pick for such a thing. Maybe a lone Mawkin survived the whole ordeal, after all...

Honestly?

Uhhh. I don't know.
I guess it would be cool to see Draygon of Phantoon.

I'm not sure whether or not they should have another stalker like enemy. Honestly, maybe in its place, maybe you could have a really powerful foe that you have to go through tough platforming challenges through, kind of like Ori. So no stealth, but the tricky timed platforming.

I want Ridley to come back. I don't care if the explanation is stupid, heck make it non existent. I just love those fights.

A second playable character.

Seriously, the only, and I do mean ONLY thing that I want Metroid to cite from IGA's games is the idea of having an extra character to replay the game with a unique moveset that offers a different playstyle to try, and new tactics to master. I see all those Chozo soldier boss fights with spears, and only got to wish I could play as one with an entirely melee-based moveset.

If...
the final Chozo Memory really is teasing a new character, he'd be my top pick for such a thing. Maybe a lone Mawkin survived the whole ordeal, after all...
Could.... could you expand on your spoiler a bit, here?

I've gotten 100% completion but can't think of what image you'd be referring to

Could.... could you expand on your spoiler a bit, here?

I've gotten 100% completion but can't think of what image you'd be referring to
This one:
MD_Chozo_Archives_08_-_Mawkin_Soldiers_Hanubia.jpg

To be fair, I also should've said "second to last". Apologies!

-Ridley
but i actually want him to speak this time, i think there's still a lot they can do with him as a villain

-bosses that use the powerups you get from them, several metroid games already do this, but its sooo good when it happens, i want to see it more

-the games to have more extra content, like a model viewer, or optional lore, or a more thoughtful hard mode
dreads's enemies look really good, im very disappointed there is no model viewer

-a new race, like the luminoth, with their own technology and stuff, would be nice for the 2d games to do a bit more world building

A brand-new storyline with mechanical enemies that are similar to Mother Brain. A bigger world to explore with more items to collect and new power-ups.

Also, I want them to expand on the sequence breaks - that's so much fun!

- A Map more like Zebes from Super Metroid, in where I am tasked to explore more to go forward. I loved how in Super you looped around after Brinstar and Upper Norfair. Also have some more central rooms corridors to come back to reorientate yourself.

- Less but more meanigful locks, to not loose sight. Every god damn upgrade in Dread was a key to a lock but most of em didn't end up open up new bigger areas but just small chunks. Make more clear points to return to and use your upgrades to gain smaller upgrades more. Heck some optional upgrades were cool too.

- Make me use the map less. Which would go hand in hand with a world that has more central room/corridors and less significant locks to backtrack to.

- Keep the mobility from Dread. That shit's fun

- The amount of bosses and cutscenes were exactly right. Tell stories through the environment, like Dread already did. I don't need constant cutscenes in a Metroid. Make them special like in Dread.

A fresh set of power-ups would be nice.

You can still keep a handful of classics, like the Morph Ball, but I'd like to collect a set of powers different than usual.

I'd love them to explore more wild cinematic ideas. Like, maybe it's nostalgia talking, but I would love to have way more unexpected set pieces in the game like how Ridley flies at you from the side in Super Metroid. Or like in Dread:
How the layout changes of the environment you are in after getting the Wide Beam and you have to make your escape because the room is filled with heat and you don't have your Varia Suit yet.

What also would be great: other friendly and non-friendly alien life that aren't necesarily standard enemies and work more like NPC's. I get that one of the appeals of Metroid is the solitary nature of the adventure you're on, but it's hard to imagine you are always the only higher intelligence being in the places you visit, which are teeming with life.

I'd also like to have more options to bring depth to the l;ore of the franchise or the places you visit. Like, there is history there. The facilities you visit and the way they are portraid, there is story there. I'd love to have options to explore that. Like how the Prime-series uses the scanning function of the visor you are wearing. Or how in the Souls-series lore is presented to you by reading descriptions of items you find. I want it to be fully oprional, but to be there if you want it.

Samus being on the run from the Galactic Federation
for becoming the last Metroid.
. Also Anthony Higgs acting as both a liason for Samus and the Federation during this time.

It will be called Metroid Wanted

this is hard to say, i've had like 25 years to reflect on super metroid. dread is so fresh.

things i loved about dread:
  • great pacing (like super)
  • artistic homages to both super metroid and metroid prime - both feeling appropriate in the lore.
  • while i think the EMMI areas are gimmicky (not necessarily a bad thing) i like the juxtaposition of being forced to run through areas quickly, vs meticulous exploration in the normal map.
  • it really nailed the horror aspects- between the EMMI and the late game resurgence of the parasite X, the atmosphere was so good.
  • focus on action and combat in a legitimate and challenging way was a great way to modernize the series.

things i didnt love about dread:
  • the music was trying to be in the background, it reminded me of BotW in that way, and it was successful, but metroid music is historically kindof amazing? what was there was really good, but more is better.
  • this is hard to describe, but the sense of exploring a desolate planet was a little lacking, maybe the focus on action, maybe feeling streamlined through the world too quickly... idk, it almost felt more like metroid prime 3 than a proper slower methodical metroid game.
  • honestly... the bosses get a little tiring, especially towards the end when it seemed like there was a boss in every room.
  • and speaking of difficulty, as you progress and unlock more abilities, rather than feeling empowered, the game becomes more difficult around you, so the game actually feels like it becomes more difficult as you go, almost to the point of feeling less empowered?
TLDR: metroid 6 should be slower, more methodical, more empowering, and have more music.

Last edited:
Less cutscenes and no Adam. Samus crashes her ship or something and we all pretend to be sad for a minute.

No other NPCs. If they still want a story, maybe someone/something talks over the radio or there are collectibles you can listen to on the go or after you beat the game.

Doesn’t have to be the whole game, but a dark world in the 2D games would be cool. Axiom Verge 2 did it to great effect.

Bring back either Phantoon, Draygon, or Crocomire. Everything else is new and there is no explanation why the returning monster is there. This a tradition now and everyone involved must refuse to answer any questions in interviews.

As many new abilities that fit and keep it to ranged weapons. Melee counter and the dash are cool so those can stay.

Bigger areas, but less of them. Game length is perfect in Dread.

More in game map changes. Love that you break stuff and the world changes. It was so cool!

Mocktroids are back for no reason in one room as a joke. Either very few or a giant swarm. I prefer the giant swarm. Like you open the door and you are just terrified.

Extra modes built in like Boss Rush, speed run mode, and a randomizer.

Honestly, MercurySteam are talented enough to keep on the series but given all the stuff that has come out about their management and not crediting people, they should really get their house in order. Or Nintendo should pressure them to.

As for the game itself... since it's a new era for the franchise I'd like them to mix it up a bit in terms of power-ups since they're kinda free to try new things now. But the base gameplay should remain fundamentally Metroid.

Oh, and additional modes would be nice - speedrun, boss rush, randomiser etc.

I kinda want Metroid 6 to revolve around Samus being the last metroid and her learning to use that newfound power properly throughout the game (because clearly by the end of Dread she still had to be helped to get things under control).

Mechanically that'd mean some kind of berzerker mechanic where Samus would have to keep her metroid power under control one way or another which'd mean a constant balancing act from the players but as you progress through the game, it becomes easier to manage as the difficulty ramps up.

Also I'd want to see an even bigger focus on melee combat where Samus would not only lose some of her abilities from Dread but also the complete use of her blaster, forcing her to resort to melee combat for a decent chunk of the game (perhaps using lances as seen in Dread as the main weapons used by Chozo knights).

Finally I'd kinda want to see her suit have more of an "organic" look to it to accompany the theme of her Metroid DNA potentially going berserk again, like her grappling hook wouldn't be a small energy laser but instead part of her arm extending in an almost grotesque way.

Story wise it'd be the first time, Samus goes on an adventure for herself rather than taking orders from the federation as she would try to keep under checks her latent abilities and looking for an answer somewhere.

Some good crawling action.
Seriously tho based on dreads ending hopefully some cool new powers. Also since the metroid story is "kinda over" a new plot or twist or maybe have samus look for chozo survivors. But my most wanted thing is a evil galactic federation that hunts samus cuz of her metroid dna. Or atleast a corrupt subset of that galactic force.

A revamp of the formula... call it Metroid Nova!

Fun Fact: Nova means "new" in Latin!

Isn't that just the Elite Chozo Soldier guarding the elevator to Itorash?
If it was, why wasn't he just at the assembly proper, like the rest of the soldiers present? Like others, I can't help but wonder if the "air of mystery" the cloaked figure provides was intended for such.

Some good crawling action.
Seriously tho based on dreads ending hopefully some cool new powers. Also since the metroid story is "kinda over" a new plot or twist or maybe have samus look for chozo survivors. But my most wanted thing is a evil galactic federation that hunts samus cuz of her metroid dna. Or atleast a corrupt subset of that galactic force.
Evil Galactic Federation would be insane, I just want to play that game ahah

Less story, less text, less cut scenes, less lore, less, less, LESS!

This really shows how everyone wants something different out of every game.
All those things really made me fell in love with Dread.

I hope the next game focuses on Samus learning to live with her new state of being and to control her new found powers.
Would be fun if the Federation sees her as a threat and we need to take them out or something.

You can build from Dread amazing gameplay, i honestly don't want more open areas like some people are saying. Dread is so tight and perfect!
But i still want:

• Bestiary (With aditional lore)
  • More Bounty Hunters wanting to mess Samus
  • Escape Segment controling the gunship
  • Alternative endings

I want the shine spark to go. I hate it. I hate that to 100% the collectibles I have to master it. Metroid 5 made exploration too easy and the dexterity of getting certain items too hard. I want the opposite. I want harder to find, but easier to obtain dexterity wise. I don’t want to try over and over again to get a collectible I’ve worked hard to find. It’s annoying.

• New power suit variations like in the Prime games that get out of the traditional suits (basic, varia, gravity)
  • Metroids are back
  • New look for Samus, there's no need to see her with the Zero suit, and could change the color of her hair and hairstyle
  • Everyone being credited
  • No Adam

Last edited:
How? Do you want Samus to get cloned or have kids?
Another evil chozo guy cloned the metroids in another planet, or someone from the galactic federation could extract some metroid DNA from Zeres before it was destroyed, or the space pirates have some DNA backup in another place that they could save before the destruction of planet Cebes.

Metroids have been many often cloned in such universe, 3 times already, who cares if they have been cloned for a fourth time, or even fifth.

I want us to use Samus in her Metroid suit from the ending, but without necesarrily being as OP. I liked the idea someone here posted about a game more focused on melee combat, it'd be very interesting.

In terms of plot, I expect the next games to focus on the Galactic Federation since the Chozo plot seems pretty much resolved for now.

Back
Top Bottom