• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What do you think the first year of Switch 2 will look like

What is the launch title of the Switch 2

• New 3D Mario

Votes: 213 73.4%
  • Metroid Prime 4

Votes: 57 19.7%
  • Princess Peach, obvi

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • New IP

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Zelda Remake

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Something Else, Explain Below

Votes: 9 3.1%

• Total voters
it’s just a feeling

like I feel like it could be the same kind of relevant “look what we can do” win as Skyrim and Dark Souls Remaster on the original Switch were

the timing feels right, and it seems like the kind of thing they’d want. imagine how many segments you can get excited with the usual Nintendo fare plus Elden Ring and Final Fantasy VII Remake / Rebirth
I really hope you're right, bc that would be such an amazing game to show off the capabilities of the platform. Also, Switch gamers have less overlap with Sony/MS/PC, and so there should be an interest on the FromSoft side.

Me when I have to remind people that Metroid is a bad franchise and can't even sell 4 Pikmillion units

spongebob-how-many-times-do-we-need-to-teach-you.gif
if Metroid is bad how come he can't crawl?

They literally released a massive RPG (Demon souls), a full remaster of Spiderman 1, a little big planet/sackboy game as well as astro bot. Alongside miles morales as their launch titles.

But you knew this when you cropped that out of the quote. Such a childish way of trying to to desperately be right. Bye, shan't miss your nonsense.
And I "Shan't" miss your cynical half glass glass-empty "it's all about the numbers" worldview on a Nintendo forum board of all things
We don't do these things here. You are welcome to ignore each other, and you are welcome to do so silently. Thank you.

Here's my out-there prediction for the first year: a game using the "Smash" brand that isn't a fighting game.

To explain, after Smash Bros Ultimate finished development, I don't think Sakurai would have been particularly eager to jump back into developing another Smash Bros right away. Three of the last four games he's worked on have been Smash Bros (or four of five if you count Wii U and 3DS separately), and he had been working on the franchise continuously for close to a decade by the time Ultimate's DLC finished.

From Nintendo's point of view, they probably don't want to strain their relationship with Sakurai either by trying to strong-arm him into developing another Smash Bros game immediately, or making another game in the series without him. So, they let him pitch some other game ideas, publishing (and perhaps assisting development of) whatever they like the look of, possibly with the agreement that another Smash Bros would follow.

Watching Sakurai's YouTube videos on the design process of his games, there's a clear theme of him taking an existing genre and trying to put his own spin on it, challenging some of the conventions of the genre. Smash Bros was his take on the fighting game genre, Meteos his take on the falling-brick puzzle game, and Kid Icarus was his take on the third person shooter. With both his games for Nintendo and other outside studios you'll also notice that the core idea of the game typically appears before they decide which franchise it will fit into, with Nintendo and the developers trying to find a good match for one of their existing franchises.

So, Sakurai pitches a new game idea to Nintendo, let's say a new type of battle royale game for the sake of the example, and together with Nintendo they have to decide what franchise would best fit this new idea. Why not use Smash? It's a franchise already associated with Sakurai, and he's clearly demonstrated an ability to handle crossover games extremely well. From Nintendo's point of view, which do you think would sell better, Star Fox Royale or Smash Royale?

Of course this only really fits if he's working on a multiplayer game, as I can't see a crossover between so many franchises work well for a single-player story based game. If it is a multiplayer game, though, then it seems to me that treating it as an expansion of the Smash franchise would make a lot of sense.

Here's my out-there prediction for the first year: a game using the "Smash" brand that isn't a fighting game.
I think this would be really smart, to free the brand from Sakurai while also letting it still be Sakurai's in the short term.

It also seems like Sakurai is trying to figure out how to make his next Smash his last, by training a replacement. I'm not sure you can do that in one game, honestly, but since they have a semi-standing team within Bamco, maybe there is someone over there that, after a couple of games, Sakurai and Nintendo will feel comfortable with taking the reigns.

To explain, after Smash Bros Ultimate finished development, I don't think Sakurai would have been particularly eager to jump back into developing another Smash Bros right away. Three of the last four games he's worked on have been Smash Bros (or four of five if you count Wii U and 3DS separately), and he had been working on the franchise continuously for close to a decade by the time Ultimate's DLC finished.

From Nintendo's point of view, they probably don't want to strain their relationship with Sakurai either by trying to strong-arm him into developing another Smash Bros game immediately, or making another game in the series without him. So, they let him pitch some other game ideas, publishing (and perhaps assisting development of) whatever they like the look of, possibly with the agreement that another Smash Bros would follow.

Watching Sakurai's YouTube videos on the design process of his games, there's a clear theme of him taking an existing genre and trying to put his own spin on it, challenging some of the conventions of the genre. Smash Bros was his take on the fighting game genre, Meteos his take on the falling-brick puzzle game, and Kid Icarus was his take on the third person shooter. With both his games for Nintendo and other outside studios you'll also notice that the core idea of the game typically appears before they decide which franchise it will fit into, with Nintendo and the developers trying to find a good match for one of their existing franchises.

So, Sakurai pitches a new game idea to Nintendo, let's say a new type of battle royale game for the sake of the example, and together with Nintendo they have to decide what franchise would best fit this new idea. Why not use Smash? It's a franchise already associated with Sakurai, and he's clearly demonstrated an ability to handle crossover games extremely well. From Nintendo's point of view, which do you think would sell better, Star Fox Royale or Smash Royale?

Of course this only really fits if he's working on a multiplayer game, as I can't see a crossover between so many franchises work well for a single-player story based game. If it is a multiplayer game, though, then it seems to me that treating it as an expansion of the Smash franchise would make a lot of sense.
Super Smash Bros. Unite? 🧐

I wonder if we’ll get Nintendo Kart/Smash Kart on Switch 2 instead of a straight new MK. Mario Kart 8 seems so hard to top. And if Switch 2 is BC, people gonna need a great reason to upgrade from the 96-track beast that is 8 Deluxe with the Booster Pack

Super Smash Bros. Warriors would be one hell of a live service game that Nintendo could perpetually maintain for the rest of a console’s life. A brief Story Mode that could later receive DLC episodes, a board map with challenges like in Hyrule Warriors that could get DLC as well and a looot of DLC characters!

3D Mario in March 2024 with Princess Peach Showtime in March 2024 just doesn't feel at all likely IMO.
Switch 2 feels more like a summer launch, princess peach as a launch title is just weird. And if it is in March I don’t see them releasing peach earlier or later.

I wonder if we’ll get Nintendo Kart/Smash Kart on Switch 2 instead of a straight new MK. Mario Kart 8 seems so hard to top. And if Switch 2 is BC, people gonna need a great reason to upgrade from the 96-track beast that is 8 Deluxe with the Booster Pack
As a Mario kart fan, there are defintly ways to top it. Really a new vaietety of tracks (our first big batch of new non city teacks in a decade) a new graphical style, a better roster, and a constant update schedule, including old remakes form the ground up is more than enough.

There are still a lot of tour newcomers that aren’t in 8 as well..

I also imagine after 8dx Mario kart has been given a much much larger budget, dev team and bassically no deadline.

just for fun, here's an overly specific take on what the system's differentiating feature will be:

a set of VR lenses embedded in a collapsible shroud, similar to LABO VR or Google Cardboard, can be attached to the back of the system for transport. when in a safe environment the shroud can be attached to the front of the device, perhaps swiveling into place. the system could then be held like a viewfinder up to the user's face for VR play. two cameras on the back of the system also enable AR play.

for software, I am imagining some sort of environment-oriented action-puzzle game in a natural environment. in any of the conventional modes the game is viewed from afar in third-person relative to a player character. in VR mode the player enters a first-person perspective and is locked in place, operating a camera, surveying laser, or projectile to influence the environment. in third person the player character could be moved as per a 3D platformer to find positions freely. such a game would be a launch title for the system

I am very very tired and a bit under the weather so please excuse this post if it is as incomprehensible as I suspect

As a Mario kart fan, there are defintly ways to top it. Really a new vaietety of tracks (our first big batch of new non city teacks in a decade) a new graphical style, a better roster, and a constant update schedule, including old remakes form the ground up is more than enough.

There are still a lot of tour newcomers that aren’t in 8 as well..

I also imagine after 8dx Mario kart has been given a much much larger budget, dev team and bassically no deadline.
The way to top Mario Kart is easy because Diddy Kong Racing already did it years ago

Just have a story mode and more vehicle options

Honestly, this will be the first Nintendo system that I feel will have no first party release window title I would purchase. I believe third parties will be the star of the show.

Super Smash Bros. Warriors would be one hell of a live service game that Nintendo could perpetually maintain for the rest of a console’s life. A brief Story Mode that could later receive DLC episodes, a board map with challenges like in Hyrule Warriors that could get DLC as well and a looot of DLC characters!
Dude!! Hyrule warriors adventure mode meets Smash Bros spirit board would be addictive as hell.

Let me crush an army of various crossover enemies too, Koopas and Moblins and waddle dees and metroids

I think that nintendo will have this games for the switch 2 launch year will have:
-New 2D DK Game.
-New Mario Kart.
-Metroid Prime 4.
-New 3D Mario.
-New IP.

Launch games
3d mario
(3d Mario title making use of the new hardware with large interconnected areas. Nintendo will push graphics but will maintain 60 fps)
-Some new augmented reality game
(Similar to 1 2 switch in experimentation and game size)
A new mii game that is a mixture of tomodachi life and miitopia

Metroid Mario kart and a new platinum game will come out throughout the year
Mario kart as the holiday title Metroid as a pretty close to launch and platinum in September/August.
There will also be a new very experimental IP that will be weird but will fit with the rest of the schedule.

Lots of Xbox one/ps4 games will be ported

Nintendo will also do next gen patches with a slow roll out similar to NSOs current roll out. They will be free for expansion pass members 10$ for NSO members and 15$ for everyone else. The games that will get patched first will be series that are far off from their next title (2d Mario, 3d Kirby, Zelda pikmin, 2d Metroid etc) they will fill gaps in the release schedule similarly to Wii U ports and dlc during the switch years.

September: Switch Advanced, Mario Iliad, DS NSO
October: Mainly filled out with PS/Xbox ports, alongside a deluxe version of smash with new characters, items, Movesets, ETC. DLC announced for later
November: Pokemon Radiant White and Deafening Black
December: Nothing
January: Nothing
February: Animal Crossing, something something. Animal crossing new horizons but the devs learned from the past mistakes of horizons
March: Kirby spin-off
April: Nothing
May: Nothing
June: Metroid prime 3 remaster, followed by prime remaster trilogy (2 already got remastered in this hypothetical)
July: Metroid prime 4
August: Nothing
September: Mario kart 9

I think it’s purely theoretical, not a real leak

Kind of a buck-shot wishlist

Golden Sun 4. (Remakes would be nice, but unnecessary with NSO)
MP4
GX remaster
3D Mario
Zelda remakes
Wave Race Ray Trace.

This is fun!

Wasn’t Red Dead 2 rumored as a Skyrim style “look at what you can play portably” showcase for this?

Recently it has been rated for the regular Switch as well (no idea how that will even work), but maybe it is a cross gen port or the Switch 1 ver is Cloud or something

I still think there's a chance for Prime 4 to squeeze out before Switch 2, so while the Metroid logo below is supposed to represent Metroid 6, maybe sub it out for Prime 4 if it can't make 2024. Also don't know what to think about a potential DK game either so i'm playing it safe by leaving it out.

Switch_2_First_Year.png

Ask me tomorrow and i'd give you a slightly different list, lol.

Project Smash Zone

like Project X Zone, but all Nintendo characters

possible Switch sucessor launch title/window games:
brand new 3D Mario(launch title)
Metroid Prime 4(cross-gen and a launch window game)
a new IP or game that showcases the Switch sucessor main concepth/gimmick
a sequel to a dormant/dead Nintendo franchise
ports of third-party games(something for Capcom, Ubisoft, Square Enix)

A new 3D Mario.
A new I.P that is the flagship for whatever new gimmick Nintendo has. Or if Nintendo goes the more traditional just a boost in power route, a new I.P to flex that.
Some Ports from PS4/One gen like FF7R, etc...
Some remasters/remakes from Nintendo.

Nintendo first-party titles for sure will be there, and with a decent cadence like we've been seeing on actual Switch
But what will be well received this time will be the third party AAA support

I'm personally expecting IPs like Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, NFL, UFC, Call of Duty, Need for Speed, Pragmata, etc. to be day & date released along with it's respective PS5 and XBS versions

My guess-list of Nintendo Switch 2's 2024 calendar:

April or May (release) with Monster Hunter (time exclusive), Paper Mario TTYD Remake, Zelda BOTW and TOK 4K remaster, Mario Wonder, Splatoon 3 and Pokemon DLC and a exclusive game (probably new IP) to show switch 2 exclusive futures.

The rest of semester will be filled mostly with Third party games, maybe a game like ARMS 2 and a revival, like F-zero. Nintendo can relaunch some switch games with a 4K patch too until end-year.

2024 H2 will start of with Metroid Prime 4 (cross-gen), follow by some other cross-gen games and a exclusive Nintendo Race (or Mario Kart X), plus lot of third party big AAA.

The H2 holiday game will be the new 3D Mario game, exclusive for Switch 2. If switch 2 release close to holidays I can see Mario be a release game.

I'm hoping for a September 2024 release of the Switch 2, so I'll basically map out how I think September 2024 to December 2025 should play out:

September 2024: Nintendo Switch 2 at $400 with new 3D Mario
October 2024: New Mario Kart
November 2024: Pokemon - Likely Switch 1 though, depending on what they are doing. That being said, I could see them doing Johto remakes by ILCA and Unova sequels by GF, so maybe we could get both of those in 2024 or one in 2024 and the other in early 2025 (Johto would be Switch 1 and Unova would be Switch 2).
December 2024: Metroid Prime 4 (Switch 2 only - I don't believe it needs to be held back by releasing on Switch 1 because based on Dread's sales, I don't believe the huge install base would make too much of a difference, plus they could use Prime 4 as a technical showcase of the new hardware).
January 2025: Nothing
February 2025: OoT HD - Unfortunately not a FF7 Remake style thing though. More like taking OoT 3D and putting it in HD.
March/April 2025: New Animal Crossing
October 2025: New Mario Party - Assuming we don't get anything else on Switch 1.
November 2025: Pokemon Gen 10

Obviously I'm sure there would be other titles to fill in gaps as well. These are just some of the big ticket items. In addition, I imagine there would be DLC for 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon, maybe Metroid, etc. Also, I am hopeful they will add GCN to NSO in late 2025 (only on the successor and up though).

December 2024: Metroid Prime 4 (Switch 2 only - I don't believe it needs to be held back by releasing on Switch 1 because based on Dread's sales, I don't believe the huge install base would make too much of a difference, plus they could use Prime 4 as a technical showcase of the new hardware).
the problem with this is that it would require another Development Update on Metroid Prime 4 in which they disclose that yeah they cancelled the Switch version permanently this time

I'm feeling confident that 3D Mario is the launch game, maybe MP4 is there too or soon after, and some sort of Zelda (be it a remake or new 2D game) is there in the first year.

So you think that Metroid Prime 4, a project that had already been encountering significant production challenges and had to be entirely restarted with a different team, should change their target hardware and abandon both the existing work done for the previous hardware and the corresponding audience for that hardware, just because Nintendo apparently has nothing else available that can be utilized for a showcase project for their next hardware.

Do you imagine that games just magically grow on trees or something? Anyone that's worked on a major project would immediately tell you that this is an absolutely terrible idea, and especially egregious in the current context in which game developers are being very evidently undervalued.

I think the key is to have a 1-2 punch similar to BotW and Odyssey in 2017, then pepper in some other games of interest. (Splatoon, MK8D, ARMS, etc) Those 2 titles were months apart, with the first being a launch day game and the second being the first holiday tentpole for the console.

So for pretend, they could do like 3D Mario as the launch day game and then for the first holiday have the next Mario Kart as a tentpole. You get 2 big system sellers in quick succession.

So a hypothetical "first year" could look like...

July: Console launch with 3D Mario + EPD4 Casual title
September: Metroid Prime 4 (cross gen)
October: Mario Kart 10
November: Pokémon Gen 5 Remakes (cross gen)
February: Some remake/remaster (Zelda?)
March: 3D Kirby
May: Expanded audience game (Tomodachi? Nintendogs?)
June: Mario Sports

Last edited:
I thought Metroid Prime 4 could benefit from being the launch title if it was already revealed and appeared again on the Switch 2 trailer.

Now I honestly think it's gonna be 3D Mario as launch title even if Switch 2 is not a holiday launch. They gotta start with a big gun and that's th biggest possible one.

The only other scenario I can see is if they launch with MP4, release Mario Kart the following month and then have Mario and Pokémon as the October and November games.

Honestly I'm leaning towards:
  • 3D Super Mario as the launch title(console releases in May, June or September/October);
  • Metroid Prime 4 as a tent pole cross gen title(probably fall 2024, October if Mario is already out, if Mario is October then MP4 can be the launch title in May or release just before Pokémon in November);
  • Pokémon remakes or a new Legends game as the big holiday sales drives, cross gen;
  • Astral Chain 2 as the more niche cross gen offering that delivers beautiful graphics on Switch 2;
  • Mario Party as another cross gen killer app for holiday season;
  • Switch 2 might be out before Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door releases so that will end up as cross gen too

In the first 12 months:
  • new IP that's next gen exclusive, be it by EPD or the action game by Monolith Soft;
  • the next Mario Kart is probably the spring 2025 killer app unless it somehow ends up as a release title;
  • maybe ARMS 2??
  • Tomodachi Life and some others "nowhere to be seen" IPs on Switch will be cross gen;
  • brand new 2D Zelda as the Zelda release of 2024;
  • Xenoblade Warriors also 2024.

Back
Top Bottom