• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions What Do You Think Nintendo's Plans Are For Zelda Between Now And the Next Brand New 3D Game?

They may be designing some new 'hook' for a 2D Zelda, a la wall merging / seasons change / time travel / shrinking. Not that I think it must absolutely have one, just trying to put myself in the developers' shoes.

I would absolutely not mind if they brought back those features, but they may want to introduce some fresh mechanic or twist. Having a 2D Zelda designed for HD from the ground up is an interesting challenge.

I think Aonuma definitely wants 2D Zelda to be open-world and doesn't know exactly how to do that and there's no dev available that seems like a good fit for an open-world top down puzzle action game.

Quoted by: Ab
I do think the Oracle games have potential for testing an open world 2D game. The seasonal/time changes in those games were actually very ambitious for the Gameboy and really made us of the GBC's power.

Heck, imaging doing Season's season shifting in the LA engine where the whole map is visible how that works in a game where the seasons would shift between specific areas without your influence. And seeing as Seasons was going to be a Zelda 1 remake, it is pretty close to that open world formula. (Honestly, take away some of the arbitrary triggers, and Seasons is pretty much open world.)

I thought ALBW was already a testing ground for a non-linear 2D Zelda with the item rentals and non-specific dungeon order (besides the Master Sword requirement).

I enjoy the freeform overworld exploration given by the 2D Zeldas but would prefer the dungeons to have complexity and difficulty ramping up in a particular order, even if let's say you could access Level 7 before Level 4.

I would guess something like...

2024 - Wind Waker OR Twilight Princess HD
2025 - Wind Waker OR Twilight Princess HD, Switch 2 Upgrades
2026 - 2D Zelda (New)
2027 - Remake (Ocarina 3D, ALBW, etc.)
2028 - New 3D Zelda

I don't think that TP/WW come out as a double pack. That always seemed optimistic for me unless they were just the GCN versions.

2D Zelda I think will get a new entry. I don't think we get (or really need) remakes of the Oracle games. They're not as beloved as Link's Awakening and they were outsourced in the first place. I don't think that Nintendo holds them in the same regard.

I fully expect a new 2D game. It seems inevitable. A couple ports of past games, remasters and then maybe 1 remake.

I've said I suspect Nintendo to port over Botw and/or ToTk even with BC cause they can. Others do it. Plus BoTW had DLC. Just sell a deluxe edition with the dlc in it. People will buy it.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm okay if they take a break and go back to the drawing board. I would like for them to do something new. Dare I say, a new artstyle. I personally expect then to show off a concept for switch 2 reveal that we never end up getting.

3D Zelda's are definitely not that easy to make, but also far from the team of modern AAA games or BotW. By today's standards it could be done with an AA team. The problem is more scope creep. Deciding to keep it to the size of the earlier 3D games and not trying to make another twilight princess with modern graphics would be the key.

And 2D... Seeing how small the teams for 2D Zelda's back then where , and how many tiny indi teams create beautiful as feature complete games...yeah, that can be done by smaller teams.

Heck, why, over all this years, did they not let grezo do a new Zelda game while using one of those remake engines? Either 3D N64 style or the LA engine.

I simply think it's similar to PokΓ©mon, where certain people want to keep control over the core aspects/ideas/directions.

(I don't want to imply it's aonuma, could be, but could just as wenn be other executives or the Zelda team itself)

Edit: and no, I'm not implying Zelda games are easy. But are also not impossibly hard to make that only this team can. They are not to far off from metroidvanias in regards to progression/world balancing, and we had tons of great and interesting takes on those. )
Skyward sword was a non open world SD game that took 5 years to make still. Classic 3D zelda takes a very long time to make and even worse now itd be in HD

I think Aonuma definitely wants 2D Zelda to be open-world and doesn't know exactly how to do that and there's no dev available that seems like a good fit for an open-world top down puzzle action game.
Wasn't a Link Between Worlds pretty close to open world? I feel like that'd be the base of what they'd do for a 2D open world

Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm okay if they take a break and go back to the drawing board. I would like for them to do something new. Dare I say, a new artstyle. I personally expect then to show off a concept for switch 2 reveal that we never end up getting.
They've got to do a new art style after working on this one for a decade. The Zelda team always tries new styles so I personally am not worried on that front

Wasn't a Link Between Worlds pretty close to open world? I feel like that'd be the base of what they'd do for a 2D open world

It's kind of open-world, but it's open-world in a way that isn't super interesting.

I love ALBW, but the item rental stuff kind of just limited the dungeon complexity while not adding a ton.

I'm guessing they want things to be more like TotK for the 2D games as well, but that sounds both really hard and really time consuming.

It's kind of open-world, but it's open-world in a way that isn't super interesting.

I love ALBW, but the item rental stuff kind of just limited the dungeon complexity while not adding a ton.

I'm guessing they want things to be more like TotK for the 2D games as well, but that sounds both really hard and really time consuming.
That's true. I haven't played it in awhile but it felt freeing albeit a hit to dungeon progression. But I'm not sure we need dungeons to limit progress other than story elements. Depends on the type of game I suppose they'd be going for.

Skyward sword was a non open world SD game that took 5 years to make still. Classic 3D zelda takes a very long time to make and even worse now itd be in HD
SS struggled from other problems: the need to integrate real swordplay, the aging hardware of the Wii that obviously limited the team in what it wanted to make, and mostly: SS WAS the start of reinventing the formula.
They heard and felt it, and tried.
Stamina, upgrading link, making navigating the over world more of a puzzle then just the dungeons, going back to areas that you already visited... Yeah, SS was a try to reinvent, but was held down by the tech and still to rigid thinking what Zelda is.

Making a 3D Zelda with lesser ambitions (they wanted it to be this grand epic, with orchestral music, lore (hyrule historia, it being the beginning of Zelda), ...) would not need all of that and could focus on the strengths the linear 3d Zelda's head.

(Doesn't help that I prefere OoT MM and WW to TP and SS, 2 bloated and to rigid games, and SS being one I actively despise, even if it has great dungeons).

OoT tried to reinvent 2D Zelda to 3D. SS and BotW tried to reinvent the series. TotK had a pandemic that prolonged dev.

Back
Top Bottom