• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions What Do You Think Nintendo's Plans Are For Zelda Between Now And the Next Brand New 3D Game?

SpaceGodzilla

Did You Get that Thing I Sent You?
Pronouns
him
We're looking at something between 5-8 years till the next brand-new 3D Zelda (dev time on big games is taking longer) which would probably put it in the middle to the second half of their next console life, what do you think Nintendo's plans are to keep the brand going in between that time, especially with a movie planned?

Could be done in a few different ways. I see remasters of games like Twillight Princess and Wind waker as likely. Maybe even a full remake of a previous Zelda game like Ocarina of time. Also releasing brand new 2D Zelda games and new spinoff titles like Hyrule Warriors as some of the ways they will fill out their Zelda slate until the next big 3D Zelda game.

A new 2D Zelda hopefully to tide people over until the next entry. We will also t see a remaster of BOTW and TOTK for Switch 2. Boosted resolution and framerate.

Uh... don't know about 8 years there. TotK was the longest gap at 6 and that was with a pandemic in the middle

Anyway, I'd really want a brand new 2D adventure, but I'm not sure if they're still interested in making those in-house. I definitely expect some remasters, remakes and spinoffs though

OoT 3DS remaster (2024)
Zelda spinoff from third-party dev (2025)
TotK remaster/patch for Switch 2 (2026)
A Link Between Worlds Remaster (2027)
Zelda spinoff from third-party dev (2028)
Open Air Zelda 3 (2029)

• new top-down game from Grezzo (if they're not cowards they'd call it Oracle of Secrets)
  • Windwaker HD/Twilight Princess HD ports
  • BotW/TotK will probably get some kind of next-gen upgrade/patch, if not outright remasters (if Naughty Dog can remaster TLOU2 after just 4 years then Nintendo could absolutely get away with a BotW Remastered in a year or two)
  • probably another Hyrule Warriors (Imprisoning War?)
  • HD remaster of Ocarina of Time 3D and maybe Majora's Mask 3D
  • another stab at a multiplayer game (maybe a remake of one of the 4 Swords games?)
  • some spin-off/collaboration nobody could possibly have seen coming (like Cadence of Hyrule)
  • maybe a Zelda 2 remake?

Uh... don't know about 8 years there. TotK was the longest gap at 6 and that was with a pandemic in the middle

Anyway, I'd really want a brand new 2D adventure, but I'm not sure if they're still interested in making those in-house. I definitely expect some remasters, remakes and spinoffs though
Its complicated. If the next 3D Zelda game will use a brand new map which most people expect that could take a long time to get right. Especially if the next 3D Zelda game will be even bigger than Tears of the kingdom was in terms of exploration and map size.

Ocarina of Time remake, TP & TWW remasters, and something new somewhere. Maybe another Hyrule Warriors? Idk. But something.

Its complicated. If the next 3D Zelda game will use a brand new map which most people expect that could take a long time to get right. Especially if the next 3D Zelda game will be even bigger than Tears of the kingdom was in terms of exploration and map size.
idk. BotW reinvented the series from the ground up and "only" took 5.5 years. Could've probably even released a bit sooner if they weren't waiting for the Switch. I'd hope Nintendo would do everything in their power to keep 3D Zelda development under control and from slipping to a regular 6+ year release cadence. Surely they can't believe that's ideal or sustainable

Four Swords remake or sequel. I have it on good authority (me) that the Switch 2 will be able to output to the TV while also in handheld mode.

God I hope not, next one definitely needs to be smaller. And I mean like way smaller.

Ocarina Remake before next Open Air Zelda - not 1/1 or a 3DS upscale, a full wide linear remake/modernization with updated combat, controls/environments etc... more story focused in contrast to BOTW/TOTK, voice acting - releases same year as the film?
2D Zelda
Remasters

I think it's gonna be a while before a new Open Air game

• Have at least one console game release in the franchise every year.
  • Cram as much legacy content unto Switch 2 as possible. Windwaker and Twilight Princess, as well as A Link Between Worlds should be first up.
  • More spinoffs, starting with Hyrule Warriors: The Imprisoning War.
  • Lego Zelda should roll out ideally within the next few years.
  • Make sure the Zelda movie is not trash, please. I'm not expecting LOTR levels of quality but if it isn't meeting their expectations, I'd rather they just cancel it.
  • Have Grezzo make a new 2D game.
  • Patch in new quality and performance modes to TOTK for the Switch 2 launch. Master mode would also be available.

Tears of the Kingdom released in May 2023, but we've heard they spent the last year polishing and bugfixing, so technically the bulk of the creative work was done by 2022, and even then it's possible, since the game was in the same engine and world as BotW and a lot of the work was iterating on physics puzzles, that Eiji Aonuma might have begun work on the next Zelda (while still overseeing Tears) well before that. They may be farther along than most people believe. Say work started in earnest in March 2021 (a team on the new game and another that stayed behind to see through the final two years of TotK): that's four years of development for the game as of the rumored release date of the Switch successor.

Last edited:
Hopefully a new 2D game. It's been 11 years since ALBW. 3D Zelda hogging resources and preventing 2D entries has been my personal disappointment this generation

A licensed spin-off or two and ports of the Wii U games.

If they really wanted to cook, they'd bring back CD-i Zelda and embrace the cringe between now and the next big Zelda game.

Twilight Princess/ Windwaker ports, a spinoff like Hyrule Warriors, and maybe a 2D game if we’re lucky

I really hope they don't lean too heavy on remasters/remakes/re-releases (especially for the 3D titles). That is basically all Zelda was in the 2010s and I really don't think these games need to be re-released as new games every decade.

Hopefully a new 2D Zelda and some interesting side games. If they absolutely have to do a remake or re-release, I'd like to see A Link Between Worlds or the Oracle games.

OoT Remake
New 2D Entry
WW/TP HD Remaster ports
A new multiplayer spinoff ala Four Swords (could be mixed with new 2D entry)

That's my prediction

WW/TP HD ports
Oracle game remakes a la Link's Adventure?
New 2D Zelda
New Hyrule Warriors

2024 - Twilight Princess and Wind Waker HD Switch ports
2025 - Ocarina of Time Remake
2026 - New 2D Zelda
2027 - Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages remake
2028 - Majora's Mask Remake
2029 - New 3D Zelda

Definitely not an OOT remake. They’re not going to expend tons of resources and manhours on a 3D Zelda in the old style. Maybe a remaster of the 3DS version with some tweaks.

Wii U ports make a lot of sense now. They're the last remaining Wii U games, along with XCX and Yoshi, if we discount things like Nintendoland, Paper Mario and Starfox Zero.

So I see those ports coming first. Then, even if what I really want is a new 2D episode, what I imagine is likely to be an oracle HD collection that would be cross-gen. They also have Hyrule Warriors, which will eventually come back and has the advantage of being developed externally. I think BOTW/TOTK will benefit from backwards compatibility, but I'm npt omaginig a a rerelease that soon, especially as they can be used later, perhaps even for the Switch 3.

At the end of the day, all this already takes us to 2027. Maybe there'll be something for Ocarina, but I don't know who they'd give a project like that to.

• TWW HD / TP HD ports
  • 2D remake by Grezzo (Minish Cap or Oracle)
  • Hyrule Warriors 3

I think we're good with this, considering the next game will likely be released in late 2028/2029.

Last edited:
I kind of feel / hope, something new in the 3d Zelda is going to happen between now and the 5-7 years before the next 3d open air Zelda. Whether that be a fairly ambitious remake (I'd take Prime 1 remake level experience, preferably with a little new gameplay idea or couple of areas to spice an old game up). Or a new smallerish title by a partner or another team.

Of course it's more likely we only get ports and spinoffs. And one or (dare I hope for 2 in 7 years?) new 2d Zelda remakes or new games.

2024 - Oracle of Secrets (EPD x Grezzo)
2025 - Master Mode plus enhancement patch for Tears of the Kingdom on Switch 2 (EPD); Hyrule Warriors 3 (Koei-Tecmo)
2026 - Wind Waker HD
2027 - original target date for new 3D Zelda
2028 - actual release year for new 3D Zelda

Link Between Worlds HD

I desperately want a new 2D Zelda, but I am half convinced we don't get one. But with Dark Moon HD coming, it seems like this would be a slam-dunk.

Hyrule Warriors 3

AoC was the best selling Warriors game of all time, right? KT has to be beating down their door for permission to make another. Not sure if they'll be able to copy the success without being a sequel to Breath of the Wild. But we could get wild and make it a sequel to Twilight Princess? Wind Waker? Pair it with a rerelease of one of those games?

Wind Waker/Twilight Princess

Nintendo was right to let these lay fallow for a while for the Switch gen. Wait until we really need them, and bring them back.

Weird spin-off like Cadence of Hyrule or Mario+Rabbids

I just want them to do another one of these. I think zelda spin-offs are harder, since Link and Zelda aren't mascot characters that can go anywhere, and have a standardized aesthetic. But again, I think there is some juice here with using spin-offs to tell sequel stories (as AoC did successfully and Link's Crossbow Training did less successfully). So maybe a cutesy Wind Waker rhythm game? A Twilight Princess RTS?

WW and TP ports this year, Oracles remakes next year unless they've been affected by the Switch 2 delay. I also fully expect them to do something with BotW and/or TotK on Switch 2. And then there’s of course another Hyrule Warriors. Lots of stuff they can do.

TP/WW ports, Remake of Ocarina of time if they aren't trolling (switch 2 excl), 3DS port of ALBW + maybe triforce heroes, Grezzo stuff

Would you want a Zelda fighter?

If so, would you prefer to hand it to ArcSys (2D fighter) or Bamco (Soul Team in particular, 3D)? 🧐
Nah, i don't think i'd be allured by an all zelda roster tbh

Would you want a Zelda fighter?

If so, would you prefer to hand it to ArcSys (2D fighter) or Bamco (Soul Team in particular, 3D)? 🧐
If it had a decent SF6/MK or old school Arcadey tekken style campaign (Arc sys preferably, there are another 3d arena fighters), I'd definately take it over another Warriors game myself. But its probably isn't any less niche to the mass market. I would main Tingle.

2024: TPHD+WWHD port
2025: Zelda content in Mario Kart 9
2026: Switch 2 exclusive OOT remake
2027: A new top-down Zelda game developed by a 3rd party developer
2027-2028: Zelda movie
2028: next 3D Zelda

Yeah as others said, WWHD + TPHD, this time for real after 5 years of thinking this would finally release.

Probably some 2D remake. People expect the Oracle games... Personally I could see them remaking A Link to the Past instead.

BOTW re release on Switch 2. 60 fps and all that.

And I fully expect something with Ocarina of Time to happen within the next 3 years. Probably a full visual remake of it, taking the 3DS version as the basis. Maybe something more ambitious, who knows. But it feels like it's about time for OOT to make a big return.

And probably another Hyrule Warriors. Hoping it goes back to the basis of the first one though (taking elements from the whole series, not just from one game).

Hoping TP gets a better remaster like Metroid Prime.

TPHD really missed the mark for me visually, a bunch of poor decisions that clashed with the artstyle.

This thread is depressing.
I'm only interested in core new Zelda games.
I don't care for remasters or warrior games. Remakes are a meh.

Botw took forever, shocking 6 years.
In between there was a 2d remake... Not a new game. Last newish single player (albw) is a decade ago.

Every 3-4 years for an experience ....nah.
I found totk disappointing, to dependent on botw. Since lbw and botw i haven't fully been satisfied in that regard. A satisfactory experience every 5-8 years .. :/

The positive thing is that with a better console they can fill the map with more cities and other stuff to do as well.
...the console was not the limiting factor here. Not at all.

I'd love to know what kinds of conversations are being had at Nintendo right now about the direction going forward. They probably feel like they need to rethink things a bit after following the same formula twice (even if the second iteration was a lovely improvement in many respects).

I think that Zelda as a franchise generally doesn't stay in the same place for too long. I'd love to see a left-field thing that I can't even conceptualize. But honestly, I consider it to be the most consistently quality franchise I've ever played, so I'm down for whatever they do!

In the short term, I'd love modern ports/remakes of the traditional 3D Zelda games. TP/WW HD are looong overdue. People who skipped WiiU but love those games definitely deserve to play the HD versions

Oracle remakes and spin offs to help during the release of the next big 3D game, maybe we get another original 2D style game.

If May of 2022 the game was complete, then I’d realistically expect the next Zelda in 2027. Design teams were probably already working on the next Zelda while TOTK was in QA, so it’s likely already been worked on for close to 2 years. Zelda is officially a massive system seller now so they definitely want to get it done.

I want a new 2D game. I also wouldn't mind WW and TP releases with new content, as every Wii U port has gotten at least something new.

Aside from that maybe some remakes, MC or the OOX games are the first to come to mind, but I think a Zelda 1 remake would be interesting... if my faith in their story telling capabilities wasn't at a all time low following TotK, as the only appeal a Zelda 1 remake would have would be the opportunity to flesh it out and add more story, but they'd probably do something stupid like try to cram a whole new origin story for Ganon in there or something, or just not touch the story at all but act like they reinvented the wheel because you can burn down any bush you want now.

I'm only willing to look forward 3 years

Summer 2024, Windwaker HD
Fall 2024, Hyrule Warriors: Imprisoning War
Spring 2025, BotW/TotK Switch 2 patches
Holiday 2025, TP HD with redone version of Links Crossbow Training
Fall 2026 Zelda movie

Back
Top Bottom