• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions What Do You Think Nintendo's Plans Are For Zelda Between Now And the Next Brand New 3D Game?

Arc sys preferably, there are another 3d arena fighters
When I say 3D, I don’t mean arena fighter, I mean classic 3D fighting games where you can move in more directions than back and forward.

Soul Calibur in particular.

I expect an Ocarina of Time remake in 2025 and a brand new 2D game in 2026. 2027 at the latest before the next 3D open air Zelda.

I suppose we could get the WW and TP remasters in there as well but really I don’t see all that crammed in those 3 years.

Im expecting 3-4 years of development time for our next big Zelda. The moment Tears went Gold we know they got right to work on what ever is going to end up next. I can only assume the same physics engine will be more or less carried over and that alone will be a huge time saver. Tears of the Kingdom’s 6 years was an anomaly im chalking up to Covid.

I expect an Ocarina of Time remake in 2025 and a brand new 2D game in 2026. 2027 at the latest before the next 3D open air Zelda.

I suppose we could get the WW and TP remasters in there as well but really I don’t see all that crammed in those 3 years.

Im expecting 3-4 years of development time for our next big Zelda. The moment Tears went Gold we know they got right to work on what ever is going to end up next. I can only assume the same physics engine will be more or less carried over and that alone will be a huge time saver. Tears of the Kingdom’s 6 years was an anomaly im chalking up to Covid.
I’m expecting 2D Zelda first, but otherwise yeah sounds reasonable

I want a new 2D game. I also wouldn't mind WW and TP releases with new content, as every Wii U port has gotten at least something new.

Aside from that maybe some remakes, MC or the OOX games are the first to come to mind, but I think a Zelda 1 remake would be interesting... if my faith in their story telling capabilities wasn't at a all time low following TotK, as the only appeal a Zelda 1 remake would have would be the opportunity to flesh it out and add more story, but they'd probably do something stupid like try to cram a whole new origin story for Ganon in there or something, or just not touch the story at all but act like they reinvented the wheel because you can burn down any bush you want now.
The mediocre story in Zelda games is because Nintendo traditionally create a Zelda game based on game mechanics and then they create a story around the game mechanics afterwards as an afterthought, while most other games being made now gets a story and world first before game mechanics.

I think we get a brand new top-down Zelda game next year. I also think the next big 3D Zelda is a lot closer than most people think. Holiday 2026 is my bet.

Excluding ports/remasters, I’m only expecting another Warriors title, a 2D game (be it a new game or another remake) and some multiplayer title. Maybe those latter two end up being one in the same.

TotK may have been content complete more than a year out from release, but it’s likely that the majority of EPD staff were moved onto other projects after that. Especially since no DLC was released this time, and even then, Monolith Soft seemingly did the bulk of the work for the BotW expansion pass. I don’t think they’re returning to that world beyond spin-offs, so we may not see the next 3D game for a while.

Ocarina remake mostly feels like copium from people who dislike the open world stuff. I can’t imagine Nintendo dedicating EPD staff for a full-blown remake or getting Grezzo (the most logical choice) to do it after already making the 3DS version. Though never say never, I guess.

I really hope they don't lean too heavy on remasters/remakes/re-releases (especially for the 3D titles). That is basically all Zelda was in the 2010s and I really don't think these games need to be re-released as new games every decade.

Hopefully a new 2D Zelda and some interesting side games. If they absolutely have to do a remake or re-release, I'd like to see A Link Between Worlds or the Oracle games.
I hate to say it but remakes and remasters have become essential for the health of the industry in recent years, and I imagine that will remain the same for Nintendo. Developers have not been able to release new things as fast as they once were able to, due to a push for increased visual fidelity. Publishers rely on remakes and remasters now to keep their brands relavent and generate income in the many years between large brand new releases.

Without remasters or remakes, PlayStations first party presence so far this generation would have been significantly reduced, which would have resulted in missed earnings for Sony. Hell they are already feeling that this year even with a remaster and a remake, imagine where they would be if they truly had nothing?

Same for Nintendo. This year is presumably going to be a quiet year as they gear up for switch 2, but imagine how dire it would be if they didn’t have remakes of Mario vs donkey Kong, the thousand year door, or a remaster of Luigi’s mansion?

So yeah, I similarly role my eyes abit whenever I see remasters/remakes, but there is no denying that the industry needs them right now.

Hopefully A Link Between Worlds HD remaster. Imagine living in a world where Nintendo ports Miitopia and Luigi's Mansion 2, but not A Link Between Worlds.

Hopefully A Link Between Worlds HD remaster. Imagine living in a world where Nintendo ports Miitopia and Luigi's Mansion 2, but not A Link Between Worlds.
I just beat a link between worlds again back in October, but I’d happily run through it again on the switch. Maybe even get all the maiamai’s this time. For my money, it’s still the best zelda ever made. I like it more than both breath of the wild and tears of the kingdom combined

When do we think EPD 3 started pre production on the next big 3D Zelda game? Optimistic scenario is that some of the Zelda team like Aonuma started working around 2022 on the next big Zelda game because that is the point when Tears of the kingdom was almost complete and the rest of the game's development was mostly about perfecting and debugging the game. The more pessimistic scenario is that they only started working on the next Zelda game sometime in the second half of 2023.

If pre production started already in 2022 then they would be almost 2 years into that process by now, which would be very encouraging. And the fact that the Zelda team seemingly decided early to not make a DLC for Tears of the kingdom could be because they were already early at work in pre production for the next game.

I think i would believe the scenario where pre production started early for the next Zelda game because Nintendo would clearly prefer the next big Zelda game to come out sometime in the middle of the Switch 2 lifespan, rather than later which happened with Tears of the Kingdom for the Switch. Because if it launches in the middle of Switch 2 lifespan it will have much better evergreen sales that spans the rest of the Switch 2 lifespan in a way a later release wouldn't have.

Last edited:
This thread is depressing.
I'm only interested in core new Zelda games.
I don't care for remasters or warrior games. Remakes are a meh.

Botw took forever, shocking 6 years.
In between there was a 2d remake... Not a new game. Last newish single player (albw) is a decade ago.

Every 3-4 years for an experience ....nah.
I found totk disappointing, to dependent on botw. Since lbw and botw i haven't fully been satisfied in that regard. A satisfactory experience every 5-8 years .. :/
This is just gonna be the case for any series with a decent budget that doesn't have a multi-studio machinery behind it or is heavily built on iteration.

There has to be a new 2D game in the works … right? Would feel so bizarre to walk the entire Switch lifecycle with no new original one.

We're looking at something between 5-8 years till the next brand-new 3D Zelda (dev time on big games is taking longer) which would probably put it in the middle to the second half of their next console life, what do you think Nintendo's plans are to keep the brand going in between that time, especially with a movie planned?
2024: Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD, or another Legend of Zelda remake
2025: Hyrule Warriors Impriosing War
2026: brand new 2D Legend of Zelda or spin-off
2027/2028: of Zelda movie and next mainline Legend of zelda

The mediocre story in Zelda games is because Nintendo traditionally create a Zelda game based on game mechanics and then they create a story around the game mechanics afterwards as an afterthought, while most other games being made now gets a story and world first before game mechanics.
I'm aware, however the storytelling of TotK is especially egregious even by Zelda standards, so I hope it's just that game and not signs of what's to come.

This is just gonna be the case for any series with a decent budget that doesn't have a multi-studio machinery behind it or is heavily built on iteration.
Yeah, but Zelda has built in formulas for smaller titles in between. I don't need multiple botws.
And there was a time when there where multiple teams.

Have others make smaller scale 2d or old 3d style Zelda's, and the main one do the next botw.
Nothing against that. Instead Zelda is padded out with rereleases remasters and remakes.

I don't think they'll 'blow their load' on remasters in the wait to the next mainline Zelda, considering there will be another 'wait' after that game comes out.

I don't even expect both Twilight Princess and Wind Waker this year.

An Ocarina visual remake on the level of Prime Remastered has been a desire of mine for a while. I want to play an official version with better graphics on a damn TV and not a little handheld screen.

I don't think that we should really think "Tears of the Kingdom took 6 years re-using assets and world, therefore the next one starting from scratch will take 6-8" because that'll be as misleading as when Tears of the Kingdom was announced and we presumed it'd take less time to make than BotW because they'd already have a foundation.

They decided to go super big with TotK, add literally two new map layers, make a longer story, add new complex physics and pack the map with new stuff and new areas and details to the absolute limit. There was also a pandemic that delayed absolutely everything and that strikes right in the middle of the development, it definitely hurt it badly. And there's the fact that the teams was in no hurry to finish it since Switch already had a Zelda and they could take their time.

Breath of the Wild took awhile to enter full development(January 2013), and Nintendo clearly learned with that since TotK started rather quickly after BotW. I don't know if I'm as optimistic as some that the early development and pre-production started back when TotK was content complete, which would make the next entry 2 years into some kind of development(maybe completed pre-production and one year of full development?), but it could happen, since waiting until spring 2023 to even start pre-production would put the next entry super late into Switch 2's life.

Something that I'm thinking is that while a Hyrule Warriors Imprisoning War telling that story is super more likely, I'd love that my idea for TotK DLC(RIP) where we have a playable Zelda campaign going into the past and everything would turn into a narrative driven linear(or maybe just small areas of Hyrule and open world-ish but not the whole map playable) "spin off". And for Hyrule Warriors we'd get a brand new game in the being of the first with its original story, many characters with unique designs for it and all.

I think a brand new 2D Zelda is fairly likely tbh. Nintendo probably trusts Grezzo to do the work with Aonuma and Fujiybayashi supervising. It'll be 5 years since Link's Awakening (that one took 3.5 years) this year so I think it's finally time, or maybe they'll hold for next year as a major cross gen release.

Nintendo has apparently shown BOTW in 4K and 60FPS at Gamescom for third parties, so next gen patches for Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom next year are pretty much locks imo, but that'll be more about making sure that TotK stays an evergreen for Switch 2 until its own Zelda than anything.

Wind Waker HD looks perfectly fine, just as good as a cel shading game made for this gen, so just a port (tho 60FPS would be great) would do the trick. Twilight Princess HD definitely doesn't look great tho. It'd benefit a lot from getting a new lighting, touched up geometry and all. It don't need a graphical remake like Metroid Prime Remastered but something like key geometry reworked, all new textures and new lighting(like Luigi's Mansion 2 HD is apparently getting) would make it shine a lot. Just straight ports as a double pack seems more likely tho.

Ocarina of Time 1:1 remake like Metroid Prime Remastered(with QoL changes) or maybe a faithful remake with tweaks like jumping, full camera control and etc, but DEFINITELY not a reimagined thing like FF VII or RE4 is likely the biggest gun that Nintendo can pull and surprise everyone and have a sure system seller, but that'd take an enormous effort that they'd probably just use on the next open air game. But again they did this for a much smaller franchise and sold for budget price so who knows.

• 2024: Twilight Princess Remastered and Wind Waker HD;
  • 2025: new 2D Zelda;
  • 2026: Hyrule Warriors Imprisoning War or Hyrule Warriors 2;
  • 2027/2028: new open air Zelda, I think they'll make travelling through the sea to different islands/kingdoms and underwater exploration the way to have a super packed and giant game instead of trying to make it actually bigger than TotK which seems really unviable to do from scratch.

If the next open air game ends up releasing much later, I think that Ocarina remake becomes more likely, but anyways I'd put remasters of the 3DS remakes somewhere. I think the same effort as Luigi's Mansion 2 HD or Miitopia, having touched up geometry, maybe new lighting, all new textures but maintaining the visual identity and scope.

I don't think that we should really think "Tears of the Kingdom took 6 years re-using assets and world, therefore the next one starting from scratch will take 6-8" because that'll be as misleading as when Tears of the Kingdom was announced and we presumed it'd take less time to make than BotW because they'd already have a foundation.

They decided to go super big with TotK, add literally two new map layers, make a longer story, add new complex physics and pack the map with new stuff and new areas and details to the absolute limit. There was also a pandemic that delayed absolutely everything and that strikes right in the middle of the development, it definitely hurt it badly. And there's the fact that the teams was in no hurry to finish it since Switch already had a Zelda and they could take their time.

Breath of the Wild took awhile to enter full development(January 2013), and Nintendo clearly learned with that since TotK started rather quickly after BotW. I don't know if I'm as optimistic as some that the early development and pre-production started back when TotK was content complete, which would make the next entry 2 years into some kind of development(maybe completed pre-production and one year of full development?), but it could happen, since waiting until spring 2023 to even start pre-production would put the next entry super late into Switch 2's life.

Something that I'm thinking is that while a Hyrule Warriors Imprisoning War telling that story is super more likely, I'd love that my idea for TotK DLC(RIP) where we have a playable Zelda campaign going into the past and everything would turn into a narrative driven linear(or maybe just small areas of Hyrule and open world-ish but not the whole map playable) "spin off". And for Hyrule Warriors we'd get a brand new game in the being of the first with its original story, many characters with unique designs for it and all.

I think a brand new 2D Zelda is fairly likely tbh. Nintendo probably trusts Grezzo to do the work with Aonuma and Fujiybayashi supervising. It'll be 5 years since Link's Awakening (that one took 3.5 years) this year so I think it's finally time, or maybe they'll hold for next year as a major cross gen release.

Nintendo has apparently shown BOTW in 4K and 60FPS at Gamescom for third parties, so next gen patches for Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom next year are pretty much locks imo, but that'll be more about making sure that TotK stays an evergreen for Switch 2 until its own Zelda than anything.

Wind Waker HD looks perfectly fine, just as good as a cel shading game made for this gen, so just a port (tho 60FPS would be great) would do the trick. Twilight Princess HD definitely doesn't look great tho. It'd benefit a lot from getting a new lighting, touched up geometry and all. It don't need a graphical remake like Metroid Prime Remastered but something like key geometry reworked, all new textures and new lighting(like Luigi's Mansion 2 HD is apparently getting) would make it shine a lot. Just straight ports as a double pack seems more likely tho.

Ocarina of Time 1:1 remake like Metroid Prime Remastered(with QoL changes) or maybe a faithful remake with tweaks like jumping, full camera control and etc, but DEFINITELY not a reimagined thing like FF VII or RE4 is likely the biggest gun that Nintendo can pull and surprise everyone and have a sure system seller, but that'd take an enormous effort that they'd probably just use on the next open air game. But again they did this for a much smaller franchise and sold for budget price so who knows.

• 2024: Twilight Princess Remastered and Wind Waker HD;
  • 2025: new 2D Zelda;
  • 2026: Hyrule Warriors Imprisoning War or Hyrule Warriors 2;
  • 2027/2028: new open air Zelda, I think they'll make travelling through the sea to different islands/kingdoms and underwater exploration the way to have a super packed and giant game instead of trying to make it actually bigger than TotK which seems really unviable to do from scratch.

If the next open air game ends up releasing much later, I think that Ocarina remake becomes more likely, but anyways I'd put remasters of the 3DS remakes somewhere. I think the same effort as Luigi's Mansion 2 HD or Miitopia, having touched up geometry, maybe new lighting, all new textures but maintaining the visual identity and scope.
I agree. I also think Link's awakening remake proved to Nintendo that there still is a big market for 2D Zelda games. Link's Awakening sold almost 7 million copies, which is great for a 2D game, only 2D Mario sells more than that. And if another studio like Grezzo will be making the 2D Zelda game then it won't even take away resources from the main 3D Zelda game as well, so jackpot for Nintendo.

Yeah, but Zelda has built in formulas for smaller titles in between. I don't need multiple botws.

Have others make smaller scale 2d or old 3d style Zelda's, and the main one do the next botw.
Nothing against that. Instead Zelda is padded out with rereleases remasters and remakes.
I don't think this changes really anything about what I said. If anything, the fact that there's so many different "flavours" of Zelda probably makes it even more difficult to find capable partners, especially since there's no one out there making games like this anymore.

Hyrule warriors probably cause that game sold like crazy for them.

I hope it's not tied to tears of the kingdom though lol. I mean if it is...hopefully it has a lot of original stuff or something.

We already saw most of the cast in age of calamity.

Oracle remakes are probably and WW/TP are surely still Switch. So they come until next year at max. Maybe OoT/MM instead of the oracles…
In 26, 27 and 28: A Hyrule Warriors game, a BotW/TotK upscaled pack, and a new multiplayer game.
Then the next Zelda releases in late 2028.

I think we will get a new Zelda game before that. Just not in a grand scale like totk and botw.

I do expect remasters to be released (TP, WW, A link between worlds). Light weight expecting remasters or remakes of OOT and MM on Switch 2 as well.

Definitely spin offs for sure. Hyrule Warriors is a prime candidate.

I'm going to probably be the first and last person here to say that the thing I want most is a remake of Adventure of Link

I think Nintendo may revised their approach after Skyward Sword HD sales. I got the feeling they wanted to be more aggressive with hd/remakes/ports and spin offs like Age of Calamity but I think they have slowed down. It remains to be seen.

It's never gonna happen, but imagine if they made "Paper Zelda". It'd basically be to LoZ what Paper Mario is to the mainline Mario franchise. I'm specifically talking about one that feels like the first three Paper Marios. I feel like they'd have so much lore and identity to work with in the Zelda franchise; they could do something amazing with this.

I hope if we get a new Hyrule Warriors, it's just a sequel to the first one and not tied to TotK. The rug pull of AoC was bad, but it at least still narratively worked. Now with TotK being a closed timeloop, not only does AoC not work within that but it's literally narratively impossible to try and fit another split into that where the Imprisoning War happens differently. It's not even possible for a story like that to be a sequel to AoC. There's literally no card they could pull to try and make a story like that work.

My biggest wish is to see a legit return of 2D Zelda games, the false starts of ALBW and LA HD can not just be one and done, but my gut tells me if it was going to happen it would've already happened at some time between BotW and TotK. And after playing TotK my strongest inkling is that the only way such a game took that long with that much asset reuse is if a sizable portion of the team has also been doing preliminary work on the following whole new Zelda game, and we're probably just going to see that a bit sooner than most people expect.

I do think we haven't heard anything from Grezzo in a long time, and I'm hopeful that they're working on a new 2D Zelda, pulling their experience from the many years of remakes. Surely after all this time, they should be a capable enough partner for Nintendo to let loose on an original 2D Zelda title. And Link's Awakening sold really well. Really really well for a 2D Zelda game.

2D Zelda seems inevitable, whether a remake or a new game. I'd personally prefer a new game, though i've never played the Oracle games and would be happy with them getting remakes

I would absolutely love a fresh take on a 2D side scrolling action RPG sort of a combination of Zelda II: Adventure of Link, Faxanadu, and Super Paper Mario. I would rather have something like this than another remake like the Oracle games or an HD version of ALBW as much as I love the latter.

Nah I think aonuma just said no comment or some shit a little while ago
Thanks for sharing. If Aonuma-san's comments about Majora are anything to go on, no comment is a hint. hard to say if it's a 3DS port or something else.

I do think we haven't heard anything from Grezzo in a long time, and I'm hopeful that they're working on a new 2D Zelda, pulling their experience from the many years of remakes. Surely after all this time, they should be a capable enough partner for Nintendo to let loose on an original 2D Zelda title. And Link's Awakening sold really well. Really really well for a 2D Zelda game.
Their dungeon design in Tri-Force Heroes was really compelling and creative.

Wait, people hate the narrative in TotK that much? Granted I still haven’t beaten it (haha oops, got distracted), but it seemed exactly the same level of “entirely adequate and sometimes pretty effective” as BotW.

I'd like to believe WW and TP HD ports are finally going to happen, if not on the Switch then on the next system while we wait for the next 3D game. Those, along with a brand new 2D game, I think all stand a decent chance. It'd be interesting if the 3DS versions of OOT and MM get ported as well at some point. I think the remakes of OOT, WW, and TP all mostly improved on their respective original versions, but MM 3D was the outlier as being inferior, so I'd hope if that version was re-released they would fix some of the issues like nerfed Zora swimming and unnecessary boss changes. I've also seen a potential reimagining-type remake of Ocarina of Time brought up before, which could be very interesting. I could also envision a remake of A Link to the Past styled like the Link's Awakening one. And of course, there's also the Oracle remakes people sometimes mention as a possibility. A lot of potential remakes or remasters could come our way, but I'll stick with just WW, TP, and a new 2D game up until the next 3D one drops.

Finding a team capable of making OOT-style 3D Zeldas in HD is not trivial. That's a massive project in scope and manpower probably not too far off from what would be required to make games like BOTW and TOTK. There's a reason there were so few true 3D Zelda clones back in the day.

We should absolutely be getting a new 2D Zelda, though. It's a shame Nintendo seems to consider that subseries low priority.

I don't think this changes really anything about what I said. If anything, the fact that there's so many different "flavours" of Zelda probably makes it even more difficult to find capable partners, especially since there's no one out there making games like this anymore.

Finding a team capable of making OOT-style 3D Zeldas in HD is not trivial. That's a massive project in scope and manpower probably not too far off from what would be required to make games like BOTW and TOTK. There's a reason there were so few true 3D Zelda clones back in the day.

We should absolutely be getting a new 2D Zelda, though. It's a shame Nintendo seems to consider that subseries low priority.

3D Zelda's are definitely not that easy to make, but also far from the team of modern AAA games or BotW. By today's standards it could be done with an AA team. The problem is more scope creep. Deciding to keep it to the size of the earlier 3D games and not trying to make another twilight princess with modern graphics would be the key.

And 2D... Seeing how small the teams for 2D Zelda's back then where , and how many tiny indi teams create beautiful as feature complete games...yeah, that can be done by smaller teams.

Heck, why, over all this years, did they not let grezo do a new Zelda game while using one of those remake engines? Either 3D N64 style or the LA engine.

I simply think it's similar to Pokémon, where certain people want to keep control over the core aspects/ideas/directions.

(I don't want to imply it's aonuma, could be, but could just as wenn be other executives or the Zelda team itself)

Edit: and no, I'm not implying Zelda games are easy. But are also not impossibly hard to make that only this team can. They are not to far off from metroidvanias in regards to progression/world balancing, and we had tons of great and interesting takes on those. )

3D Zelda's are definitely not that easy to make, but also far from the team of modern AAA games or BotW. By today's standards it could be done with an AA team.
Feel like you are gravely underestimating how taxing it is to make these games

Ask any "AA" studio to make a game with the map and 8+ dungeons like OOT, but in HD, and also with multiple towns, a fully 3D controllable character that can perform at least a dozen different tasks and actions, and have it last 25+ hours. It's a monumental task from any angle you look at it.

Ask any "AA" studio to make a game with the map and 8+ dungeons like OOT, but in HD, and also with multiple towns, a fully 3D controllable character that can perform at least a dozen different tasks and actions, and have it last 25+ hours. It's a monumental task from any angle you look at it.
Yeah, I think if Nintendo ever decides to have a concurrent OoT-style series it's gonna be closer to Majora's Mask in scope with fewer dungeons and areas that you frequently revisit. Anything else is just not feasible anymore.

radio silence until 2027: movie released, post-credit scene: trailer for the new game, coming 2028!

(I hope to be wrong lol)

Another thing is that the Ocarina of time remake would have to be outsourced for it to happen. And who would do it? Bandai is probably busy with Mario Kart and Smash for example. Grezzo has never done such a big project before.

Hd in a simplified artstyleis not that out of this world with modern tools.

I'm not expecting them to reinvent. 3D is definitely above indy money, but something like cross code or eastwards are 2d indy projects that show how much you can do in terms of content. And that's without Nintendo resources.
Heck, the cadence of hyrule game had enough content to be comparable to say minish cap.

Minish cap, MM and WW had less dungeons then OoT. And they are beloved games.
If I get a smaller scale Zelda more often and the big ones every 5/6 years, that's fine.

I get that it won't be cheap to make, but there is a space between indy 5M projects and 50-100M AAA projects.

Juke gresso reusing the OoT base back then would have been an option.
The Zelda team themselves reused the base and adapted it between titles.

Maybe to clarify:
I'm not saying it's easy/cheap.
But we're not talking about a smal indi company but Nintendo, they have the resources and the money.

And I'm not talking about 80h adventures with Wii U Tech Demo production values.

But they are not even trying seeing how the last semi new single player 2D game is more then a decade ago, 2 years later a lot of it was reused in a multiplayer, and then the LA remake, again a rethread. Find an external developer like Capcom back then. Oracle games, minish cap, 4 swords... All in a couple of years.

Last edited:
The Zelda series as a whole does not have mediocre stories and I reject the premise that their prioritizing of game mechanics meant treating story as an afterthought and therefore they're 'bad'. I do not consider simple to follow fairytale storylines with bombastic characters and setpieces mediocre.

Last edited:
There are so many different things Nintendo can do and it makes me very excited to see where they go next. Under the assumption that we won't see a Switch 2 until maybe March, here's what I can see happening from most likely to least likely before the next mainline 3D Zelda:

• TP/WW HD - either this holiday for Switch or next year during the Switch 2's launch window
  • A Link Between Worlds port - likely in the same vein as Luigi's Mansion 2's upcoming Switch release. Both games originally came out in 2013 so why would they not want to do the same for ALBW?
  • Oracle of Seasons/Ages remake - maybe by Grezzo. Would love an HD2D artstyle
  • Brand new original 2D Zelda - would also love this in HD2D but I'll take whatever I can get. I don't think we'll ever see a "classic formula" original 3D Zelda again but I feel like there's still hope for a return with a new top down game. Definitely my most wanted of my list.
  • Ocarina of Time remaster - I'm skeptical that Nintendo would go all in on something like this but the timing feels right for a full blown remake/remaster built from the ground up
  • Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks remasters - feels like we'll never see these again but it kinda sucks these are the most modernly inaccessible games of the series next to ALBW

But they are not even trying seeing how the last semi new single player 2D game is more then a decade ago, 2 years later a lot of it was reused in a multiplayer, and then the LA remake, again a rethread. Find an external developer like Capcom back then. Oracle games, minish cap, 4 swords... All in a couple of years.
I mean just “finding an external dev” is a challenge in of itself. There are not many who both have the chops to make a brand new 2D Zelda while also committing to making one every 2-3yrs.

I mean just “finding an external dev” is a challenge in of itself. There are not many who both have the chops to make a brand new 2D Zelda while also committing to making one every 2-3yrs.
If you start do search for "now", but over the years with connection? Yeah it can work.
See Metroid and mercury steam. I'm still confident that grezzo would have worked out great, competent people there.

It's something that should have been looked into a decade ago.

If you start do search for "now", but over the years with connection? Yeah it can work.
See Metroid and mercury steam. I'm still confident that grezzo would have worked out great, competent people there.

They most likely did look into it over a decade ago & were most likely found wanting. Even with years & connections they seemingly haven’t found anybody outside the main team to consistently make new 2D Zelda games. Grezzo may have worked but they seemingly don’t want to be the steward for 2D Zelda nor should they be forced too. In the end much like quite a few other franchises, brand new 2D Zeldas are on the back burner unless they can get a steward to push it forward with a viable external studio doing the grunt work.

What really needs a remake/remaster are the Four Swords games. No one ever bought them ('cept me) but that campaign is really no slouch, and with modern online play you can even make the GBA gimmick work without being too distracting. It's feels like an absolute shame to leave at least Adventures stuck on the Gamecube.

And it would be a good way to bring back the GOOD multiplayer Zelda games to active development.

We shouldn't be quick to assume Grezzo isn't working on the next 2D Zelda, it's been a while since the studio published anything since Link's Awakening. While that could mean anything, it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility. And it's possible it got entangled in the COVID mess if it's happening. Granted, it's been many years since Link's Awakening, but you never know what exactly that studio's got on its plate.

Back
Top Bottom