• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic What can Smash 6 do differently from Smash Ultimate?

Number 1 for me is to have the announcer scream the name on the opening title card like in smash 64 and Melee. I am sure that I am in the small minority, but I want them to go back to being Nintendo all-stars only, no 3rd party.

A single player adventure mode where you can level up each hero. A mix of 2D platforming like Subspace Emissary but also boss fights (regular Smash matches with CPU's).

Rollback netcode if it doesn't have it already.

I'd say only really a few things. When it comes to Adventure Modes, I'd rather just have what Melee did than what Brawl or Ultimate did, where you go through different Nintendo worlds stage by stage. I'd also bring back Event Matches and Trophies in place of Stickers. Outside of that and having good online, I definitely wouldn't mind an alternative option for classic characters that have largely kept their move-set and movement the same since Melee by drawing on their newer games while still allowing for the older style so everyone is happy. All of this would make it the absolute best Smash game for me

The genie has been let loose for 3rd party characters. You ain’t putting that back into the bottle.
WoL/SSE I think is not worth it from a resource point to put into the next Smash when those resources could go elsewhere. Instead it should be its own dedicated game with team involved. I’m thinking Project X Zone type gameplay & look. I think as a gaas service so mobile game but non mobile also works. Regardless there are plenty of things they can do for the next Smash:
  • What they should dedicate to single player content is the return of a lot of single player modes not inculded or added to Ultimate: board the platforms, break the targets, smash run, smash tour, etc.
  • Expand the customization options & control for various modes. More content for stage builder, photos, & capture
  • Custom moves & character variation. Implement the custom moves better & tryout something like character variation system. This way the echoes become a variation
  • Further gameplay tweak based around Ultimates improvements. Bring back some stuff taken out like dacus, perfect pivot. Make dash dancing a little better. Platforms a little less sticky. Expand combo trees & neutral.
  • Revise certain characters movesets & character identity
  • General qol improvements
  • Rollback net code
  • Bring back stages that didn’t make it back & improve upon ones that exist

I think Smash is a near perfect game so my additions wont be too game altering. A few small changes I would make

-spawning characters lose invincibility after their first attack
-momentum transfers into air while jumping from a run
-rollback netcode
-let me change my character online PLEASE. Let me change characters in elite so I can rematch people. Let me change in the arena without getting kicked off the line
-MAKE SQUAD STRIKE ONLINE. For a game with a billion characters, this mode needs to be featured more prominently. It's by far the best mode
-bring Smash run back
-tone down the special effects, hard to keep track of things in 4 player modes
-alter the match making so I don't have to play people using items

Otherwise just keep adding more. More characters, stages, music etc.

Step up like other, more ambitious crossover games have and add LeBron James and Goku.

Or return to the height of the series and add a story mode.

Go 3D.

They gotta do one of these three things or the next one will be forgettable like Wii U

MAKE SQUAD STRIKE ONLINE. For a game with a billion characters, this mode needs to be featured more prominently. It's by far the best mode

There should be a way to switch characters on the fly MvC style and it will be even better. Maybe sacrifice functional taunting to allow for it.

momentum transfers into air while jumping from a run

You know, what if we had a "dash jump" mechanic, like jumping out of a run? More ground-air momentum on its own could advantage speedsters over glaciers even more, but dash jumping could be tailored to be a mobility option for otherwise slow ground characters.

Step up like other, more ambitious crossover games have and add LeBron James and Goku.

I must admit, I find Sakurai's attitude towards licensed game characters outdated. It worked as late as Smash 4, but it will be glaring later.

There should be a way to switch characters on the fly MvC style and it will be even better. Maybe sacrifice functional taunting to allow for it.

You know, what if we had a "dash jump" mechanic, like jumping out of a run? More ground-air momentum on its own could advantage speedsters over glaciers even more, but dash jumping could be tailored to be a mobility option for otherwise slow ground characters.

I must admit, I find Sakurai's attitude towards licensed game characters outdated. It worked as late as Smash 4, but it will be glaring later.
Switching on the fly like Pokemon Trainer would also be pretty cool, just with each character having their own health. That makes for a pretty different game, so they can be two separate modes. I'd be happy with anything that let's me use multiple characters though.

Dash jump could be an interesting universal mechanic. Would mix up the game a good bit I think.

Whatever they decide I think I'll be happy, so long as they don't listen to the crowd that keep saying cut all the content and it will somehow make for a better game.

Literally all I want is the ability to remove Smash Attacks from the control stick as an option. I'm too sweaty to consistently pull off side tilts, and I'm not powerful enough to learn tilt stick. I want the control stick to always be tilts/normals, and the c-stick to always be smash attacks.

I've liked the idea of expanding some of the Assist Trophies into more fully-fledged assist characters, where you can press a button to call them and they do a thing. Would probably be a separate thing like Squad Strike is now, but they could reuse existing assets in a number of cases, and it'd give them more options for single-player challenges.

Nothing. That's why all of this "reboot" talk is nonsense.

I still maintain that Nintendo messed up by not turning Smash Ultimate into a live service offering. New stages, character costumes, items, sound tracks, characters, game modes, etc.....it could have just continued to grown with new content added over the years.

Now they're behind the 8 ball with a new Smash game, because they're not going to be able to bring back the full roster - meaning once the new Smash eventually comes out, we're just going to get a chorus of people lobbying for their favorite character to come back.

I don't think an idea quite like this has been shared yet. I think it would change up smash enough to be worthwhile, and have a lot of potential benefit for Nintendo, but lots of folks may be unhappy with it.

Downloading smash bros. would be completely free. I would completely gut the roster, starting from zero, except for one character. Probably Kirby. Nintendo would release a new character for each of their large (and maybe some small) releases. This character would be free if you purchased the associated game (digital would be straightforward, physical could require registration with myNintendo or maybe have a download code included). Alternatively the character could be purchased on its own for a TBD fee, probably after a small delay.

Ideally, the character would be representative of their appearance in the released game. So for example for BOTW, Link would be redesigned using the runes, Mario would have moves based on Odyssey, etc. if the idea were on Switch. You could similarly add in items/stages with either a similar method, or as freebies to raise overall interest. This could be continued all through the console life.

It would be an evergreen interest title, and would turn the popularity of smash on it's ear, using it to drive sales of other games to get characters. I feel like to the casual fanbase this would be awesome, as it could be re-used and make each then iterative sequel clearly unique and representative of the console on which it was released. I imagine competitive players would not like how convoluted this was.

Now they're behind the 8 ball with a new Smash game, because they're not going to be able to bring back the full roster - meaning once the new Smash eventually comes out, we're just going to get a chorus of people lobbying for their favorite character to come back.
And as Pokemon SwSh proves, that chorus may not actually significantly impact sales and reception.

A single player adventure mode where you can level up each hero. A mix of 2D platforming like Subspace Emissary but also boss fights (regular Smash matches with CPU's).
This would be cool.

Its the time to make a Nintendo vs Capcom game
YES

Nothing. That's why all of this "reboot" talk is nonsense.

I still maintain that Nintendo messed up by not turning Smash Ultimate into a live service offering. New stages, character costumes, items, sound tracks, characters, game modes, etc.....it could have just continued to grown with new content added over the years.

The only way you are getting a live service Smash game is if Nintendo brings it in house with a dedicated team. As long as Bandai Namco develops it Smash dlc is gonna have a shelf life due to contracts & other projects.
Downloading smash bros. would be completely free. I would completely gut the roster, starting from zero, except for one character. Probably Kirby. Nintendo would release a new character for each of their large (and maybe some small) releases. This character would be free if you purchased the associated game (digital would be straightforward, physical could require registration with myNintendo or maybe have a download code included). Alternatively the character could be purchased on its own for a TBD fee, probably after a small delay.

Ideally, the character would be representative of their appearance in the released game. So for example for BOTW, Link would be redesigned using the runes, Mario would have moves based on Odyssey, etc. if the idea were on Switch. You could similarly add in items/stages with either a similar method, or as freebies to raise overall interest. This could be continued all through the console life.

It would be an evergreen interest title, and would turn the popularity of smash on it's ear, using it to drive sales of other games to get characters. I feel like to the casual fanbase this would be awesome, as it could be re-used and make each then iterative sequel clearly unique and representative of the console on which it was released. I imagine competitive players would not like how convoluted this was.
No one would like how convoluted this is whether they be competitive or more casual. This just sounds like a nightmare too to bottom & would seemingly push people away rather then get them to join. This would be the quickest way for a F2P game to fail.

Actually, I would be quite happy with Ultimate deluxe. What I absolutely want are alternate costumes for all the characters who can have one. When I see mods of alternate costumes that could be there or some characters having them and for some reason others don't, I cry. Also a few balance patches and some Qol improvements.

Also, please if they could remove fast "advancing" dash attacks entirely from the game(or nerf them in a way) especially on slow characters where I find them extremely annoying. Sora and Byleth ones come to my mind. It does not feel realistic at all that a slow character just suddenly jumps into your face with that. Where did they get the momentum to jump like that?

Getting rid of Scamco and their God awful net code is the first thing that should be on the agenda for Nintendo.

Smash 6 should just be Ultimate but with rollback. New mechanics can be added to game even if it’s just an enhanced port as other fighting games in the last few years have done this, SFV especially.

It would be really funny if a couple years from now they just announce Fighters Pass 3 and pull a Booster Course Pass swerve on us

Start with a fresh roster. Combine alts like Doctor Mario or Toon/Young Link into single characters with costumes. I’m gonna get hate for this, but excise all third party reps. There are still plenty of beloved Nintendo characters that deserve a spotlight. Third party reps could be special crossover events after the main game.

Focus on co-op modes if there’s no desire for a substantial single player mode. Local and online. And for the love of god, have rollback net code.

more curious as to when we're seeing smash 6
I think that largely depends on when Nintendo's next console comes out, and its level of combatibility with the Switch. If they can keep flogging Ultimate for a few more years as an evergreen title, I doubt Nintendo will be rushing Sakurai back into Smash mode. However, if their new console is a 'fresh start', as it were, then expect Nintendo to already be putting the pieces in place for a new one.

By the end, Smash DLC had me saying "oh okay, they made a deal with that company then? Cool." Instead of the "wow!" they were going for

In my heart, I want characters that make me say "who?" like unlocking people in Melee did. But that's impossible, because I'm not a kid who doesn't know about games anymore.

So idk. Definitely not Goku. I guess I want Smash to go deeper rather than broader on the crossover stuff. Instead of a million IP not interacting, narrow it down and make the interaction more meaningful.

Just keep doing what they did with Ultimate, more characters from more ips. All the suggestions I've seen on how to revamp Smash just sound like people want a game that isn't Smash.

I think there's a split between those who want "Ultimate+" and those who want a reboot. Seems to me like on a whole the "Ultimate+" people are in the majority - the thought of losing precious characters upsets them too much and to them the more content in the game the better it is. That's all fair enough - and it's what Smash has been sold as.

I'm on the entire opposite end of the scale. I prefer smaller roster games, I prefer the gameplay to be new in each entry of a series, and we're at the point where I neither care about the new characters being added nor see them often enough in play to make much of a difference either way.

For me, it has to be a reboot or I'm not interested. For example, a "new Samus" with a new moveset in an updated gameplay system is far more interesting to me than Raven Beak or whoever being added.

I'm also that "anti-3rd party" guy, too. In honesty I know at this point I'm no longer smash's real audience. That's fine. I mean, I've been complaining the roster is too big since Brawl, lol. Garou had 10 characters and remains the best fighting game of all time.

I think there's a balance to be had between 'Just keep adding to Ultimate' and 'Go back to a Melee sized roster' personally.

My one (fairly minor) quibble with Ultimate was that it really felt like a greatest hits compilation, which while all fun and merry, meant it didn't have the same impact of an all new game for me. There's nothing like going into a Smash cycle genuinely not knowing who's going to make the cut. Ultimate's 'everyone is here' moment was hype inducing in a different way, but it meant we kinda knew what we were getting from the off. There's nothing like loading up a new Smash for the first time with 15 brand new characters + 30 new stages to try. I'd like to get that feeling back when the sequel comes out.

As for the third party question, weeeeeell, there here to stay, like it or lump it. Thing is, with Sora ticking the final 'impossible character' box (outside of maybe Master Chief) I don't know whether relying on them for hype inducement is a solid strategy anymore. I think Nintendo should focus on reeling in the third party picks that are most relevant to their consoles and their fans, and spring a few surprises that way. Ultimate has permanantly ticked the 'video game museum' box, so as I said earlier in the thread, trying to replicate that would be a thankless task. Focus on making it a celebration of Nintendo, their partners and their fans instead.

Get rid of the damn smoke everywhere. I legit found this game hard to follow with 4-8 players because of it. It’s distracting and doesn’t add anything. I feel like it was an attempt to add more impact and weight to the gameplay but like… melee managed to do that and feel more weighty and heavy without a visual effect to compensate. I really liked that video he did on “stop here” on youtube but I don’t think that effect adds what he thinks it does to the impact of smashing.

and Ive said it many times but overall the word Ultimate felt more like it only applied to the roster and not the rest of the game. It was pretty disappointing in regards to all the different modes and things smash has had in the past. I think not even getting home run derby until like over a year later as dlc goes to show how far behind on the back burner all those side modes were. I’d like another ultimate that really focuses on all that. Smash run, stadium events, board the platforms, better mini games in classic mode (the one in ultimate was legit terrible) challenge mode, all star mode, etc. This is honestly where I had the most fun with smash over the years and seeing a new smash just put it all together the same way Ultimate did with the roster is what I’d like to see the most

You should win prizes by playing. And mario should say fuck and shit, also add a DK mode and a nude option. Take out Luigi. Also they should make it actually good, as a prank

bare minimum for me would be a new netcode and better matchmaking solution as well as a better ranking system because GSP is simply not good.

then something more ambitious for the single player, dunno what exactly but I'm sure there are ways to make it more exciting.

revamping some veterans moveset would be great as well giving them their latest look, samus is in a serious need of that after Dread.

Also goes without saying but improved visuals with higher poly characters, better textures, etc

I think the idea of just a "Ultimate Deluxe" kinda stupid in the sense that whatever is next has big chances of being backwards compatible, next smash gotta do some changes here and there that are more exciting since Ultimate would still be playable anyway (same way I hope the next Mario Kart is a "departure" because 8 is as good as how the classic formula will be and it'll most likely be playable through backwards compat).

Multiplayer is pretty much perfect at this point. I'd say a more fleshed-out single-player campaign. A mix of Melee's Adventure mode, Brawl's SSE, and 3DS's Smash Run.

Also, just more side content that works with the playstyle. Stuff similar to Break the Targets, Board the Platforms, Race to the Finish, etc.

I don't miss trophies as much as I thought I did, so I don't need any kind of Coin Launcher mode or anything like that. Just make the package around battles more varied. You'll honestly never have to make another Smash game ever again. For me, at least.

I think what it really needs is a core hook. Every Capcom fighter gets some sort of new gameplay twist, but Smash Bros never has. That's honestly pretty embarrassing coming from Nintendo-published sequels designed by a guy who obviously lives and breathes that stuff. Instead we get play-once-and-never-touch-it-again side modes. The percentage = distance flown mechanic is a work of art, but I think there's still more you could do without over-egging the pudding.
Example: Every character can build meter by doing stunts, like Melee's bonus mode but tuned more to be awarded during matches rather than at the end https://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_bonuses
This meter can be spent on items from a pool of relevant ones ie. the Belmonts would have access to Death's Scythe, a stopwatch, and the Alucard Assist Trophy, Pokemon characters would have a unique set of Pokeballs they can summon etc. This is a good way of making items relevant in 'no items' modes ... by turning them into new moves. Tell me I'm not a genius.
Also: Squad Strike should be the main mode, or at least it should clearly steer you toward it. With a game that has so many characters, outsourcing some of the balance to players is the sane option here (even if the game is really well-balanced at this point).

As for singleplayer: An adventure mode that plays like a Metroidvania, only with the characters you unlock allowing you to access new areas (ie. Mario characters being able to break blocks with their heads, Samus being able to open pink doors with her missiles etc.). You can swap between characters at warp/save points. Also it should support four players. Like a shorter, sweeter version of Kirby and the Amazing Mirror.

It also needs good new characters instead of scraping the bottom of the barrel with trash like Sora. I submit: Bub and Bob from Bubble Bobble, The Prince from Katamari Damacy, a Souls rep etc.

I think the idea of just a "Ultimate Deluxe" kinda stupid in the sense that whatever is next has big chances of being backwards compatible, next smash gotta do some changes here and there that are more exciting since Ultimate would still be playable anyway (same way I hope the next Mario Kart is a "departure" because 8 is as good as how the classic formula will be and it'll most likely be playable through backwards compat).
We live in an age where TLOU1 exists on PS5 as both a remaster and a remake, this doesn’t even track to me as a problem

Honestly just give me new stages. I get why we got the HD remakes and it was cool, but now I’m ready for all new stages for everything. Even if we get a paired back roster with similar move sets doing all new stages for each character would go a long way in keeping the game fresh.

Realistically they either have to do a soft reboot or just port Ultimate to the next console. They can't really top Ultimate without literally just building off of it.

Building off of it could just be recycling the models and animations. It doesn't have to be a full on port.

We live in an age where TLOU1 exists on PS5 as both a remaster and a remake, this doesn’t even track to me as a problem
TLOU1 is a single player game
Massive difference with a multiplayer game especially if we're talking trying to sell the latter as a "remaster" and I doubt Nintendo will take the gamble to see if the audience "doesnt care".

Building off of it could just be recycling the models and animations. It doesn't have to be a full on port.
They’d have to rework every moveset to fit with the new engine/physics, as well as rework every 3rd party contract for a new game. That’s a lot of effort for something that could be accomplished much easier by simply porting the game and adding new content.

Smash has done enough. Let it rest. It's time for Sakurai to make whatever he wants, come back to smash when it's time. In the meantime, port ultimate like crazy

He talks about it in the Iwata Asks for TW101. I'd love if he actually got to make that game someday :)

This sounds amazing. What about a Sora x Platinum stand alone co op platforming epic?

Just keep doing what they did with Ultimate, more characters from more ips. All the suggestions I've seen on how to revamp Smash just sound like people want a game that isn't Smash.
For me personally I’ve never understood the revamp argument when you could do that while also still going on with Ultimate. Just look at some MOBAS with how they completely revamp the character.

-Have it be new from the ground up and not have an immense amount of reused assets
-less characters but each character is given more care
-less third parties, 4 was already too much while ultimate was silly, go back to being primarily a nintendo crossover with some legendary third parties here and there
-reduce input lag, reduce the buffer window, improve the netcode
-increase hitstun so actual combos aren't limited to a handful of characters, combing is fun
-BRING BACK CONSERVED MOMENTUM ON JUMPS THIS IS A PLATFORM FIGHTER FFS

I believe smash has already became the Mario Kart series on Nintendo platform.
Refresh is good enough.

Back
Top Bottom