• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club What are your thoughts on Pikmin as a franchise?

How do you feel about Pikmin as a franchise?

• Total voters

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
Just doing a li’l Famiboards temperature check.

How do you personally feel about Pikmin as a franchise?

Personally, I think it’s one of Nintendo’s best franchises.

It's OK. Fun for what it is, pretty creative, just not really my type of game. I've played some of them but never really feel drawn to them as a "must play."

I love Pikmin, all 4 of its main games are phenomenal - but something about it holds it back from being in the same legendary tier as Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. to me. Not quite sure what it is besides maybe just the fact it hasn’t had as many games.

I think it's a rare instance of a series that started good and has only ever gotten better with each new entry ... so long as you ignore Hey Pikmin

I liked the Gamecube entries well enough but could never finish either as a kid, and played some of 3 on WiiU. Then on Switch I really fell in love with the series with first 3 Deluxe and then esp. 4

If my pfp says anything Pikmin is my favorite series and it all happened by accident. My Greek Grandpa bought me a gamecube for my bday back in the day and he got me pikmin cuz he thought it was Pacman (cuz thats like the only game he ever heard of) and I played Pikmin 1 on my new gamecube and I fell in love with the series. I was hooked instantly. I remember I was at work when Pikmin 4 got announced and my coworkers were wondering why I was crying when my best friend who also loves Pikmin texted me the news.

Not quite the same GOAT level as Mario Kart or 3D Mario, but for me it definitely ranks among my other favorite game series. Every console needs a new game!

I like it but not a must-play series for me. It feels slightly like work but I enjoy it a lot when I get into it.

I really enjoyed 1 & 2. 3 was a miss for me, though I'm not entirely sure why as it wasn't that different from the first, except having three characters. I skipped 4 but I'd like to give it a try sometime.

It's not my favorite series but I enjoy it as a chill exploration game. I like the creature designs a lot. And it's always fun to see what they'll call a mundane object or how it applies to rocket science in the Pikmin universe.

It's a series that I've grown to love more and more with each entry (except Hey! Pikmin, though I do appreciate the attempt made to bring the series to a portable console for the first time)

I wouldn't rank it as one of Nintendo's best series on a personal level because like damn, the competition is so strong and there's a lot of other series that I personally enjoy over it. That said, it's an incredible series and as someone who loves supporting smaller, more niche series, there will always be a place in my heart for Pikmin and I will always try and help others get into it and understand it's unique appeal

It is one of Nintendo's best franchises and it just keeps getting better, imo. I really would love to not wait another 10 years for a sequel.

Are we ranking Pikmin games?

4 > 2 > 1 > 3 >>>> Hey! Pikmin

As for the thread question, I think Pikmin is a great series. I'm not sure I'd call it one of Nintendo's best, but the relative size of the franchise and overall good vibes make it an especially fun one to revisit.

I used to treat Pikmin as a joke before trying the first game when they ported it to Switch, now I realize that Pikmin is actually Peakmin, outside of 3 which is kinda whatever

2 > 1 > 4 > 3

I think it is a fantastic and creative series. Like others here have mentioned, it has only gotten better with age and new entries. Pikmin 4 was the pinnacle of the franchise. I cannot wait to see what comes next.

It's great i just hope they don't dumb it down anymore. 4 went a bit too far with the auto lock on and long tutorials.
Every entry has been great though.
4>3>1=2

For 5 they should do all new Pikmin types. Slowly unlocking red Pikmin, then yellow, blue etc has started to feel like unlocking the powers in Metroid - too predictable.

I really enjoyed 1 & 2. 3 was a miss for me, though I'm not entirely sure why as it wasn't that different from the first, except having three characters. I skipped 4 but I'd like to give it a try sometime.

It's not my favorite series but I enjoy it as a chill exploration game. I like the creature designs a lot. And it's always fun to see what they'll call a mundane object or how it applies to rocket science in the Pikmin universe.
4 plays like 2 but not as hard. If you liked the caves of 2 youll love 4. Idk if 2 or 4s my favorite but I do think 4 is the best Pikmin Game

I finally decided to give Pikmin a proper chance when 1 and 2 released on Switch, after being too intimidated to actually try the series for years and years. I’m incredibly glad I did, because I really warmed up to the gameplay after some effort and finished both of the GameCube originals with full completion! I ended up buying 3 Deluxe and 4 and they are currently sitting at the top of my backlog for after my current games wrap up.

Are we ranking Pikmin games?

4 > 2 > 1 > 3 >>>> Hey! Pikmin

As for the thread question, I think Pikmin is a great series. I'm not sure I'd call it one of Nintendo's best, but the relative size of the franchise and overall good vibes make it an especially fun one to revisit.
Best Ranking I agree

It is one of Nintendo's best franchises and it just keeps getting better, imo. I really would love to not wait another 10 years for a sequel.
After the Success of 4 and 3, and 1+2 on Switch Nintendo now thinks Pikmin is one of its main series so the wait wont be as long next time Most Likely. Pikmin is labeled as 1 of 8 main Nintendo Series on Nintendos website now.

If my pfp says anything Pikmin is my favorite series and it all happened by accident. My Greek Grandpa bought me a gamecube for my bday back in the day and he got me pikmin cuz he thought it was Pacman (cuz thats like the only game he ever heard of) and I played Pikmin 1 on my new gamecube and I fell in love with the series. I was hooked instantly. I remember I was at work when Pikmin 4 got announced and my coworkers were wondering why I was crying when my best friend who also loves Pikmin texted me the news.
Haha this anecdote really brings to attention the Genius behind the series' name, marketing-wise...

I really enjoyed 1 & 2. 3 was a miss for me, though I'm not entirely sure why as it wasn't that different from the first, except having three characters.
Maybe controlling 3 characters was overly complicated, cumbersome and overwhelming? It was for me anyway!

Give 4 a try, it's delightful... And the best entry point for newcomers IMO

Maybe controlling 3 characters was overly complicated, cumbersome and overwhelming? It was for me anyway!

Give 4 a try, it's delightful... And the best entry point for newcomers IMO
I still think Pikmin 3 played better on Wii U than Switch. I would play with Wii remote and nunchuck and I would have the gamepad on the charging stand and the map would be on it and without even pausing the game I could tell what captain to go where. It made multitasking so fun. 3 is fine on switch but it feels like somethings missing.

I used to think Pikmin was Nintendo's most mid series. For example, Pikmin 3 was too short and absolutely vapid to actually get into the game. It was far too short, and really didn't leave an ounce of impact on me.

Pikmin 1 and 2 were just brutal in terms of control, bad AI, and lack of quality of life features.

But now, after Pikmin 4, it's one of my favorite Nintendo series. The amount of content really got me hooked on the games, and were just really great. And then Nintendo has Pikmin 1+2 with gyro control which is so much better. The ability to choose pikmin as well in 1 is greatly appreciated too. Pikmin 3 is so much better when you take into account the mission modes too. I would actually argue that the mission modes are the majority of content of that game too.

Absurdly good. Genius-level.

For Miyamoto to revolutionize video games in the 80s with Mario and Zelda, and still have enough left in the bag 20+ years later to come up with what feels like an entirely unique genre in the 3d space that makes real-time RTS into an accessible character-based game... it's almost beyond belief.

And other than a slightly didsappointing sequel in 2, the series has just gotten better and better.

Accessible yet deep gameplay, family friendly presentation, a uniquely quirky vibe... Pikmin practically defines what Nintendo is and should be to me.

Definitely one of Nintendo's best and most meaningful creations, though I only really have occasion to think about it once every ten years or so.

Also, 3 > 1 > 4 > 2

Pikmin was pretty neat.

I could never get into 2.

3 and 4 are absolutely spectacular.

I prefer to forget Hey! Pikmin existed.

So overall, I really like it, but it's not among my favorites.

Peak series right here. 2 and 4 are genuinely some of my favorite games from Nintendo, and 1/3 don’t fall too behind either

My Ranking is probably
4=2<1<3 <Hey Pikmin!

I love all of the Pikmin games besides Hey Pikmin cuz I never played that one cuz its way different,

I also love 3 its not bad just idk somethings off with it.

I hate to do this but 4 and 2 are just the top 2 games of the series for me and I cannot come out with which one is better
Pikmin 4 Feels like the perfect Pikmin game, Its like the best aspects of 3 and 2 and the caves of 2 which are the best parts!
But man if I want a challenge I love to playthrough Pikmin 2 goddamn it gets brutal but its like my love for hotsauce. Its only hard enough/spicy enough if it makes me cry lol

4 being the best overall game vs the Difficulty of 2 its just like oml.

I feel the same way with Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World
I think World is the best 2d Mario game overall (besides wonder cuz I love that game to death) but 3 Is so much fun cuz its more difficult.

so yea to me Pikmin 4 is the Super Mario World of Pikmin and Pikmin 2 is the Super Mario Bros 3 of Pikmin. Idk thats the only way I can describe it.

Good series but I don't like the direction they've gone in with dumbing down the games to make them more popular/sell more

I love Pikmin but tbh Pikmin 4 has me contrarily worried about the series because it's so well-liked and yet so toothless and bloated. It's easy to see why people enjoy it but I feel like we're losing some of what made Pikmin special.

I finally decided to give Pikmin a proper chance when 1 and 2 released on Switch, after being too intimidated to actually try the series for years and years. I’m incredibly glad I did, because I really warmed up to the gameplay after some effort and finished both of the GameCube originals with full completion! I ended up buying 3 Deluxe and 4 and they are currently sitting at the top of my backlog for after my current games wrap up.
You are in for such a treat! Looking forward to seeing your impressions of the most recent two mainline games when you end up playing them.

I really like those little creatures 😝
I LOVE 4, it's less stressful for my taste, as I can replay as long as I want without having the pressure of time passing and food decreasing, the introduction of Ochin is nice as it makes more gameplay twists, and overall it's really, really fun to play. I love the characters, the gameplay, artstyle and so on. Only thing I can't cope is the sound they make when they die
I even enjoyed Hey! Pikmin. I really did! I wish they would do more with the franchise, but as it is, it's really good.

I really like those little creatures 😝
I LOVE 4, it's less stressful for my taste, as I can replay as long as I want without having the pressure of time passing and food decreasing, the introduction of Ochin is nice as it makes more gameplay twists, and overall it's really, really fun to play. I love the characters, the gameplay, artstyle and so on. Only thing I can't cope is the sound they make when they die
I even enjoyed Hey! Pikmin. I really did! I wish they would do more with the franchise, but as it is, it's really good.
I want to try hey Pikmin. Its my favorite series of all time so im surprised I never tried it. I think I just heard too much negative stuff about it but if I play it while keeping in mind its kinda like a spin off I think I could enjoy it.

Oh you also love replaying Pikmin 4? I am on my like 4th play through every time I love replaying it. The only thing is I just skip all the dialogue because I know what im getting into so I dont need all that reading to slow me down (especially in the beginning cuz they talk alooooooooooooot in the beginning lol.)

also nice profile pic!

Yes! That game is mostly criticized but I think it was fun, it looked really good and it's not very long or difficult. A nice game for those times where you just need to enjoy the ride. But I also enjoyed Chibi Robo Zip Lash (a lot), so maybe my taste is... questionable!! 😂
Thanks! I love my Pikmin pots. Playing Pikmin Bloom made me realize I needed them haha

I love Pikmin but tbh Pikmin 4 has me contrarily worried about the series because it's so well-liked and yet so toothless and bloated. It's easy to see why people enjoy it but I feel like we're losing some of what made Pikmin special.
I disagree with or plain just don't understand the possible reasoning behind so many decisions made with that game. Like why is it ambiguously a reboot when they covered or referenced nearly all the events of past games in some form anyway? Why did they not realize the shitty forced auto-lock-on aiming makes one of their own challenges nearly impossible? It absolutely makes me worried for what the next one will be like. Although on the bright side, a lot can change in ten years.

I genuinely do not understand the criticisms Pikmin 4 has gotten in this thread. I honestly think it’s the best game Nintendo has made in decades.

always liked the idea but it never really clicked for me until 4.

Pikmin 4 is one of my top all-time games, that’s how much I enjoyed it. Taking my time with the rest but enjoying the journey.

wow a lot of harsh takes in here

huh. guess I’m an outlier and or part of the problem?

ehh. I have better things to do than worry about it

Loved my time with 4, haven't gone back but seen a Let's Play of the first one which seemed to be a bit basic, but I'd love to try 2 and 3 eventually

Pikmin 1 is a great game, a GameCube classic I love to go back to every now and then. I haven't played any of the others yet. What holds me back a little is the removal of the time limit - Pikmin 1 is an all-killer-no-filler short arcade style game that feels fast paced and invites trying to get a high score/improve your times. I love the atmosphere the looming time creates and this seems less emphasized in the sequels. I assume they're still good in their own way, so I intend to get around to it eventually

I disagree with or plain just don't understand the possible reasoning behind so many decisions made with that game. Like why is it ambiguously a reboot when they covered or referenced nearly all the events of past games in some form anyway? Why did they not realize the shitty forced auto-lock-on aiming makes one of their own challenges nearly impossible? It absolutely makes me worried for what the next one will be like. Although on the bright side, a lot can change in ten years.
I wish they would have just completely rebooted it, name and all. This is the best place for newcomers to jump in and that 4 only brings weird baggage to the game.

I'm curious about what you're talking about with the auto lock-on, though. I'm pretty sure I did everything and don't remember their being issues. I mean, I didn't always love it and wish it was more like 3's cursor, but it was usually fine I thought.

I genuinely do not understand the criticisms Pikmin 4 has gotten in this thread. I honestly think it’s the best game Nintendo has made in decades.

I mean do you really want to engage? I can easily understand why people like it, the pros/cons aren't that complicated. It's not an objective thing, it comes down to if you care about speedruns/"high scores" or playing the competitive vs. mode it's indisputably less good.

Pikmim was the last IP created by Miyamoto, no wonder he seems so desperate to keep it going at Nintendo.

Back
Top Bottom