• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Visual Novels |ST| Let’s-a-read!

i've been in a visual novel mood myself recently and have jumped back into Higurashi

I read the first 5 chapters back in 2017 but I stopped because MangaGamer was putting out one of them a year at the time and that was all that was out so I started over since it's been so long, i'm in the second chapter at the moment

I don't really remember how I felt about it before since it's been 7 years but definitely been digging the spooky vibes

playing NG right now! love my horror man.

something im realizing i really like about some visual novels is this sort of half adventure aspect where you can pick and choose where to go, active decisions to make during world exploration and the like.

there's a fair amount of VNs that feel on-rails, i felt that with Scarlet Hollow recently. but having every location be a place you can visit and investigate and move around at your own leisure really makes the whole experience feel more real and it helps the pacing for me too.

i know a lot of the big ones like Ace Attorney, Danganronpa and the like are similar, but do ya'll know any more lesser known VNs than those with more exploration and stuff?

Last edited:
playing NG right now! love my horror man.

something im realizing i really like about some visual novels is this sort of half adventure aspect where you can pick and choose where to go, active decisions to make during world exploration and the like.

there's a fair amount of VNs that feel on-rails, i felt that with Scarlet Hollow recently. but having every location be a place you can visit and investigate and move around at your own leisure really makes the whole experience feel more real and it helps the pacing for me too.

i know a lot of the big ones like Ace Attorney, Danganronpa and the like are similar, but do ya'll know any more lesser known VNs than those with more exploration and stuff?
NG is fantastic, I like the atmosphere of the first one more, but the locations here are great.

Some of the other "big" ones would be the AI Somnium file games, they have puzzle and choices, and Raincode that released last year on switch (later this year everywhere else) its somewhat linear, but you have sidequests and areas to explore.

Other game that come to mind, I haven not played it (its on my wishlist)

- YU-NO: there are puzzles and exploration. Its about time-traveling

Pyre is a good one. If you tell with the other part of the gameplay anyways

I asked this on Reddit but the main VN subreddit automod doesn't let you post a thread without karma farming and the other VN sub is pretty quiet. So I'll ask here! What are some good VNs that avoid or subvert the cliches of the genre? I'd love unique gameplay (my favorite VNs are probably 438 Shibuya Scramble and the Ace Attorney games) but anything with unique storytelling that avoids the usual tropes of the form (first-person young male protagonist and harem cast, in particular) would be appreciated.

(for additional context and to avoid a wall of text here here's my reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/vns/comments/1d5vwm7/what_are_some_vns_that_avoid_the_cliches_of_the)

I asked this on Reddit but the main VN subreddit automod doesn't let you post a thread without karma farming and the other VN sub is pretty quiet. So I'll ask here! What are some good VNs that avoid or subvert the cliches of the genre? I'd love unique gameplay (my favorite VNs are probably 438 Shibuya Scramble and the Ace Attorney games) but anything with unique storytelling that avoids the usual tropes of the form (first-person young male protagonist and harem cast, in particular) would be appreciated.

(for additional context and to avoid a wall of text here here's my reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/vns/comments/1d5vwm7/what_are_some_vns_that_avoid_the_cliches_of_the)
Your taste in VN’s seems pretty similar to my own, so I’m wondering if you have tried The House in Fata Morgana? That’s one of my favourites, and it feels pretty unique to me when compared to other visual novels I’ve played. Particularly with its storytelling and overall atmosphere.

If you’re looking for something with a more diverse cast, then SeaBed is one starring two adult lesbian protagonists with barely any male characters in sight. There’s no real gameplay or choices in it, and the pacing is very slow, but I really enjoyed the story in this one. Heart of the Woods is another one.

Your taste in VN’s seems pretty similar to my own, so I’m wondering if you have tried The House in Fata Morgana? That’s one of my favourites, and it feels pretty unique to me when compared to other visual novels I’ve played. Particularly with its storytelling and overall atmosphere.

If you’re looking for something with a more diverse cast, then SeaBed is one starring two adult lesbian protagonists with barely any male characters in sight. There’s no real gameplay or choices in it, and the pacing is very slow, but I really enjoyed the story in this one. Heart of the Woods is another one.
I do own Fata Morgana but haven't started it yet. I'll bump it up the list.

SeaBed and Heart of the Woods are both new to me but look like good recommendations. Thanks!

as always i'll echo the Fata Morgana talk i'm seeing in here, it's fantastic and I can never say enough nice things about it

based on your reddit post I think you'd really enjoy Remember11

Some semi-significant news from a couple weeks back that I haven't seen anyone here bring up yet, but Kanon, the first visual novel developed by Key (CLANNAD, Little Busters!, Rewrite) will receive a Steam release with official English and simplified Chinese translations. It appears to be based off an HD remaster that was released for the Switch in Japan last year, although there isn't any news yet on whether that's also getting an international release.
They now confirmed today that the Switch version will be updated to have English and Simplified Chinese available.

Started Robotics;Notes over the weekend and made it to Phase 4 without knowing anything about the phone function. Fortunately, it was not too late to go back and start responding to essential tweets or snagging geotags. At least, that's according to this 'ending' guide I looked up (by chance, because I was wondering how many phases there are). So here I go.

Just finished the Nae ending which is supposed to be the default ending if I never raised any flags with the other girls... I really wasn't expecting a dating sim kind of ending. I was fully expecting this to be a kinetic novel where all I need to do is 'press A'. Normally, once I rolled credits is when I end the game but since there's so much more to go (according to the guide), guess I'll keep going. No wonder How-long-to-beat says that this game is a 25 to 48 hours game.

Now, onto my thoughts about the story so far and the Nae ending,

Kaito as the main POV was really unlikeable at the start. I don't like how sanguine and lazy he acts; leaving Akiho to do most of the heavy lifting. He hardly does anything for the Robotics Club itself, spending the entire day just playing that video game. Very unhelpful. As a character, he improves later on when he actually starts to take initiative and be more proactive in moving the story along. I don't dislike him as much now since his core motivations have been better explored by now. However, the well has been poisoned. Kaito and Akiho can be best friends. They should be. But despite how the story seems to be pointing in that direction, I don't really think Kaito deserves Akiho.

I still don't really have any strong impression of Jun or Fran. Colourful characters, perhaps. But no... impact. Or at least, not enough impact.

Subaru. He has impact. I need resolution for his storyline. Heck, I think Subaru x Akiho makes for a real good ship. I would have preferred it if more of the story was from Subaru's POV. I assume there should be some resolution to his storyline later on. Can't wait for that. If Kaito is key to the resolution, I will also approve to that thin book of Fran's imagination.

Akiho is the driving force of the story so far and deserves better from everyone. At least she seems to have won Subaru firmly on her side. I like that she is gungho enough to just dive straight into trouble. The first GunBuild-1 test was, admittedly, cringe and she learns from it! Character progress. She looks great in that AR filter too. Top tier character. Please don't end up with Kaito in the True Ending.

Nae Ending. It's not bad actually. I wouldn't mind if Kaito gets over Misaki and goes with Nae instead. Nae's an interesting character. Even in her own ending, her motivations aren't exactly revealed. There's definitely more to her than that happy-go-lucky girl. Especially since she's the link connecting Robotics; Notes to the larger Steins; Gate world. I want to find out more.

And... that's all. That ending, as much as it endears myself to Nae, fanservice and all, is really abrupt. There's definitely more to the overarching storyline and I'm looking forward to the crazy twists that I'm expecting to come. But for now, I will need to make it through all the other endings to find out more.

Started Robotics;Notes over the weekend and made it to Phase 4 without knowing anything about the phone function. Fortunately, it was not too late to go back and start responding to essential tweets or snagging geotags. At least, that's according to this 'ending' guide I looked up (by chance, because I was wondering how many phases there are). So here I go.

Just finished the Nae ending which is supposed to be the default ending if I never raised any flags with the other girls... I really wasn't expecting a dating sim kind of ending. I was fully expecting this to be a kinetic novel where all I need to do is 'press A'. Normally, once I rolled credits is when I end the game but since there's so much more to go (according to the guide), guess I'll keep going. No wonder How-long-to-beat says that this game is a 25 to 48 hours game.

Now, onto my thoughts about the story so far and the Nae ending,

Kaito as the main POV was really unlikeable at the start. I don't like how sanguine and lazy he acts; leaving Akiho to do most of the heavy lifting. He hardly does anything for the Robotics Club itself, spending the entire day just playing that video game. Very unhelpful. As a character, he improves later on when he actually starts to take initiative and be more proactive in moving the story along. I don't dislike him as much now since his core motivations have been better explored by now. However, the well has been poisoned. Kaito and Akiho can be best friends. They should be. But despite how the story seems to be pointing in that direction, I don't really think Kaito deserves Akiho.

I still don't really have any strong impression of Jun or Fran. Colourful characters, perhaps. But no... impact. Or at least, not enough impact.

Subaru. He has impact. I need resolution for his storyline. Heck, I think Subaru x Akiho makes for a real good ship. I would have preferred it if more of the story was from Subaru's POV. I assume there should be some resolution to his storyline later on. Can't wait for that. If Kaito is key to the resolution, I will also approve to that thin book of Fran's imagination.

Akiho is the driving force of the story so far and deserves better from everyone. At least she seems to have won Subaru firmly on her side. I like that she is gungho enough to just dive straight into trouble. The first GunBuild-1 test was, admittedly, cringe and she learns from it! Character progress. She looks great in that AR filter too. Top tier character. Please don't end up with Kaito in the True Ending.

Nae Ending. It's not bad actually. I wouldn't mind if Kaito gets over Misaki and goes with Nae instead. Nae's an interesting character. Even in her own ending, her motivations aren't exactly revealed. There's definitely more to her than that happy-go-lucky girl. Especially since she's the link connecting Robotics; Notes to the larger Steins; Gate world. I want to find out more.

And... that's all. That ending, as much as it endears myself to Nae, fanservice and all, is really abrupt. There's definitely more to the overarching storyline and I'm looking forward to the crazy twists that I'm expecting to come. But for now, I will need to make it through all the other endings to find out more.
So far I think unlikeable protagonist seems to be this series troupe lol. Chaos Head, Robotics and Chaos Child don't have the best starting protagonist, Steins Gate might be the exception, we shall see with Anonymous Code.

My strategy was similar I played the game till I got the first ending, then used a guide to deal with the tweeps. Nae ending is the most left field out of all of them but I think thats why its the "first" one, you get by just playing the game. And Nae is a fantastic character. Both Jun and Fran to a while to grow on me, versus Subaru.

Its was a very fun experience with those meddling kids lol

Done with Jun's ending. It was sweet and having 'seen' Jun in a setting when she wasn't talking slowly was.... much more pleasant. Her regular speech was way too slow. It's good to know that she isn't a 'mouse' all the time. AND I am so glad that it is not a 'romantic' route. I don't mind the romantic subtext within the Nae ending but Jun's route totally didn't need that.

And looking at how things play out. They really didn't need this 'routes'. They could have let us experience ALL the 'endings' chronologically in the first place. Come'on! That's not how you extend play time. I can imagine how these will all play out within the anime. Probably about two episodes focusing on Jun's struggles and how the Robotic club (or just Akiho and Kaito) try to help her overcome her fears.

Update: I caught EP2 of the anime. Nothing to do with the Robo-One competition yet but the story pace increased. Akiho was the one moving the story while Kaito just stays passive in the background. These's something missing in the Akiho-Jun conversation but anime does need to compress the storyline. In a way, now that I've experienced the scene in the game, I kinda wished that the faster [ace in the anime was the default in the game itself. I'll keep going with the anime once I'm done with the Frau route in the game itself!

Last edited:
So far I think unlikeable protagonist seems to be this series troupe lol. Chaos Head, Robotics and Chaos Child don't have the best starting protagonist, Steins Gate might be the exception, we shall see with Anonymous Code.

I really, really don't like Pollon, haha.

I can work with the Chaos;Child protag, Chaos;Head was a bit too much lol. I know its part of the story but I couldn't tolerate that guy.

Definitely my least favorite game in the Science Adventure series so far.

I can work with the Chaos;Child protag, Chaos;Head was a bit too much lol. I know its part of the story but I couldn't tolerate that guy.

Definitely my least favorite game in the Science Adventure series so far.
I am around 10 hours in Chaos;Child and yeah so far, while annoying its not as bad lol

Frau's ending done! THAT storyline was intense. And in a way, quite a whiplash compared to the tamer, lower-stakes Nae and Jun ending.
I think this is the point when I finally thought, 'Yea. Ok. Kaito is alright' He is finally actively doing something rather than staying in the background.

He still doesn't deserve Akiho though.

Next up... It's the Airi ending before we enter the remaining roller coaster ride of the final phases. I sure hope Subaru's storyline resolves itself along the way too.

Completed Airi's ending! Phase 9 unlocked. Looking at the guide, it should be a straight forward roller coaster ride from here onwards.

Airi's story was interesting... to say the least. I've not looked it up but I'm going to guess that that power-button on Genji-ne's forehead might just be Kimijima Report 7. Am I right? Don't tell me. I'm also guessing that Genji-ne is the actual AI. The 'Airi' personality is the actual Airi's consciousness transported into the 'metaverse' and now that the Tokyo hospital is trying to revive her body, she now has to return to her physical body. Don't correct me if I'm wrong.

So far... based on these four endings, Frau has the most intense story. Airi's the most tragic. Nae (obviously) has the lowest stakes involved but I kinda like it. It's a ship I dig, even if it won't happen. Jun's story is consequential but personally, lacks impact. Maybe because it lacks the fantastical (and fanservice/shipping) elements? Jun's the most normal character out of the whole bunch and that meant she doesn't stand out.

Should be able to finish this by next week? Then I'll probably hop straight into Dash.

Update: EP3 of the anime completed. The pacing of the anime is much faster. There's some bits missing from the VN but... you know what, I can do without all the extra narrative to keep the story plot moving. The anime trimmed off the fats. Maybe even trimmed off a bit too much but as a whole, it kept the story pacing moving for the better.

Last edited:
Just reached Phase 11 for Robotics;Notes. Wow. That escalated really quickly.

I fully expected a roller coaster ride but it is one hell of a ride. Akiho and Kaito's fortunes really just swung high and low; they just can't get a break. It's sweet to see the support they got from Mitsu, Sumio and Doc. Something about Subaru's situation stinks and THAT's no resolution. Now that shit's really going down; I can't wait to see how the rest of the Robotics club contribute to the story. Even if the stakes just went off the roof, they can't just be relegated to NPCs after everything, right?

And I'm glad that I'm right about Nae being more than meets the eye. Nae-sama indeed.

The throw-away reference to SERN and the time machine gave me the sniggle too.

And I've completed Robotics;Notes Elite. While we all wait for the Ninty Direct, I'll leave my main thoughts on the story here. There was still some loose threads but after some thought, I think it was a right move to end it on the high. The loose threads, I assume, will be addressed in DaSH. Which I intend to hop into tomorrow. Might as well finish up the duology in a shot so that I can store the cart away.

6b60e19e7b03e8c63025caec8cc978fca27ce48c.jpg

The lack of nekomimi follow-up was a little surprising (and disappointing). Here's a Chekhov gun and then nothing else. I almost expected that one of the extras for completing the game was allowing for costume changes for the in-game model. Nekomimi for everyone. Including Subaru. Especially Four-Eyes.

The story started slow and casual. Build a giant robot and show it off. That premise alone could potentially carry the entire show. By the end of the story, everything is slightly batshit insane with plenty of sci-fi mumbo jumbo and a very epic finale. I've watched Steins;Gate the anime before so I expected the eventual roller coaster. But I thought that this ending sequence still went hard. These are teenagers talking about war strategies with their homebrew giant robot to save 5 billion lives. Everyone on the island came together to support them... marching to the battle (and possibly death). Very surreal; very epic and very anime. When I get around to catching the animation, I really hope the animation studio sticks the landing.

I like that at the end, with the batshit premises, the Robot Club quintet was together once more and everyone playing a key role in the finale. Even Jun whom I never had much confidence in. And surprisingly, even 'IRL' Airi and the unreliable club advisor, Mitsu had a role to play at the end. It was a coming-together of all the pieces across the story and... it was satisfying.

btw, Akiho got the short draw of the stick with 'Fast Forward'. Kaito's 'Slo-mo' can be (and became) his cheat hack to survive impossible situations. I can't envision any practical application of 'Fast Forward'. I really hope DaSH figures something out so that Akiho can take on a role beyond just 'charismatic flag raiser'.

So what happens now that they won the battle? idk. Guess I'll just have to fire up DaSH to find out more.

Completed Phase 1 and heading into Phase 2 of Robotics;Notes DaSH. Just a couple of thoughts so far. In a way, it feels like a fanfiction epilogue to the original Robotics;Notes Elite. Everyone's happy and all. Kaito is presented in a much more mature (and pleasant) manner while everyone maintains their tics. It's actually not too bad a premise. And of course, throw in a new character. Or should I say, 'old' character. Daru from the OG Steins;Gate.

Now, I'm only familiar with Steins;Gate as an anime. Not the visual novel itself. I like the characters of Steins;Gate but that was a good number of years ago. And of course, my most favorable impressions are left for the two main leads. Kurisu and Okabe. I don't have much of a nostalgia for Daru and I'm not familiar if he is a 'fan favorite' or not.

I don't like Daru as the POV protagonist.

Looks like it was quite a hot streak. Heck, I prefer starting Kaito from OG R;N than Daru and I found early phase Kaito insufferable. Daru... borders on sekuhara in a very unpleasant way commits sekuhara. This guy is supposed to be a married adult. A father. And he's playing up the worst otaku tropes. There's playing it up for laughs and there's just being a creep. It's rather insulting to actual 'otakus'. Maybe it was more tolerable when he was a side character in Steins;Gate but not as a main POV character.

Maybe later on, it gets better. Like with Frau. She's also another no-filter character but she's not the main POV character. You kinda get her motivations and role within the story. At this point, we don't really know more about why Daru is here other than some 'special mission'. Right now, I'm just not invested in his special mission.

Enough complaining about Daru. The other OG R;N characters are good. It's nice to see that they have grown over the 'six months', including the group dynamics. Kaito is much more mature. I wish there's more POV from him instead of Daru.

Akiho working in a restaurant is just... strange. You would expect her to end up as Doc's apprentice or working as a mechanic in a workshop instead. I've reached the point of the story when Kaito and Daru asked what is her dream (now that she has accomplished the 'build a giant robo' one). Maybe she's working aimlessly now because she's conflicted about what to do next? Something to be resolved later in the story. It better not be 'I want to be Kaito's bride so I'm learning how to cook'.

The few fanservice so far with the festival wear and nekomimi are fun surprises. I'm glad that the Chekhov Gun from the first game is finally fired. Even if it can be done better. As Frau says, why is Four Eyes not in the meido costume too? It would have been funnier (and still fanservicey) to have EVERYONE in nekomimi meido costume. It's even more trolling from Kimijima and adds even more urgency to the switch hunt. Rather than how everyone is strangely cool with Kimijima threatening world domination.

a74d5d2e9e2da828b3c3f13fcbb12b9355dcf694.jpg

Photo taken and to be sent to Mr. Braun.

Last edited:
I just finished Spirit Hunter: Death Mark II (base game, there is extra content and hidden stuff). And yup, like the other two, this game is phenomenal. I want to 100% before giving my full thoughts, but if you liked or enjoyed the other Spirit Hunter games, give this one a try, I think its on sale (or at least it was a couple of days ago)

Back
Top Bottom