• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion VGC: Square-Enix is working on a multi platform remake/remaster of Chrono Cross (EDIT: Possibly PS5 Launch Exclusive?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You say that like it’s a bad thing.

Maybe we’ll get Threads of Fate / Dew Prism next for some Summer of ‘00 promotion nostalgia since we already got Legend of Mana earlier this year

It would be a bad thing. All three PlayStation Final Fantasy games had some terrible bugs and earned a bad enough reception that Square eventually went back in to fix…mostly.

I’m all for Chrono Cross being revisited, as it’s one of the best sequels ever made, but unless Akitoshi Kawazu is involved, their record for catalog releases is pretty spotty.

Hope this turns out ok. Chrono Cross is my favorite PS1 game and it’s been a long time since I revisited it. Just straight port Chrono Trigger afterwards (and FF4, FF5, and FF6). I don’t trust them to touch it.

Square Enix loves remastering every game except for Chrono Trigger
Doesn’t need one. The spritework is timeless and gorgeous. The DS version is the closest to a remaster with QoL features and a more faithful translation.

Doesn’t need one. The spritework is timeless and gorgeous. The DS version is the closest to a remaster with QoL features and a more faithful translation.
DS version is 13 years old, which is how old the original game was when DS version came out

I'm curious how similar. A Trials of Mana-style remake is definitely more than I'd have expected for this. Thought it'd be similar to the FFVIII remaster.
It has to be at least slightly more than FFVIII because it's pretty much confirmed Mitsuda is working on the soundtrack... but still I was expecting something like Legend of Mana: AI upscaled graphics, rearranged soundtrack, etc. Something like Trials of Mana would be more like remaking the game from the ground up.
And to be honest I don't want to lose Honne's backgrounds

It has to be at least slightly more than FFVIII because it's pretty much confirmed Mitsuda is working on the soundtrack... but still I was expecting something like Legend of Mana: AI upscaled graphics, rearranged soundtrack, etc. Something like Trials of Mana would be more like remaking the game from the ground up.
And to be honest I don't want to lose Honne's backgrounds

Yes, that's actually a much better comparison and imo the best way to go about this. I hope that's what Nate meant.

If you expect a FF7R tier product... don't. It'll be a lower budget release. Enough for Chrono Cross fans but not a AAA effort by any means.

Good because FF7R is one of the most insulting remakes.

I should really sell my Chromo Trigger DS copy now. Its probably on its way to the Switch, gotta sell it while it's valuable.

Similar to that
No more pre rendered backgrounds?

curb-your-enthusiasm-larry-david.gif

Given Trials of Mana remake success, it kind of makes sense for SE to try to go that route for some other releases, AA remakes. Now I'm really curious about it.
I could totally see the leaked FFIX remake going that route too now...

Given Trials of Mana remake success, it kind of makes sense for SE to try to go that route for some other releases, AA remakes. Now I'm really curious about it.
I could totally see the leaked FFIX remake going that route too now...
It makes sense when you want to "remake" SNES game but PS1 games look really good even today when upscaled, pre rendered backgrounds were absolutely stunning and remaking it the trials of mana way will make it look cheaper than what it really is.

DS version is 13 years old, which is how old the original game was when DS version came out

True, but why does it have to “remastered”? 3D models aren’t superior to gorgeous pixel art. The game is already beautiful.

Similar to that
You're sure about that? Nick seems to think this is another FF8/SaGa Frontier/Legends of Mana case and it makes sense.

There's also FF9 remake thing getting announced/released next year. I feel that's the one in Trials of Mana scale.

Quoted by: Leo
You're sure about that? Nick seems to think this is another FF8/SaGa Frontier/Legends of Mana case and it makes sense.

There's also FF9 remake thing getting announced/released next year. I feel that's the one in Trials of Mana scale.

Would be interesting to see a FF9 looking worse than the original, but somehow not surprising

if it is just an AI upscaled remaster, i'd be disappointed, but man is the OST amazing.
The game does deserve a re-release.

To be honest, I'd be down for a remaster rather than a bigger visual reimagining like Trials of Mana. So much of Chrono Cross's charm for me is in its locations and character design, and I worry they'd lose something along the way. Same with FFIX.

Hope they also put Chrono Trigger on more platforms in the run-up to this.

And they must almost be done with Chrono Break, right?...Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom