• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion VGC: Square-Enix is working on a multi platform remake/remaster of Chrono Cross (EDIT: Possibly PS5 Launch Exclusive?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Square so out of touch with the market / decisions with remasters / ports?

• Chrono Trigger only on PC and Mobile
  • FF1-6 only on PC and Mobile
  • Chrono Cross rumored to be PS5 only
  • Trials of Mana remake missing Xbox despite being an UE4 game (has to be worth the port job)
  • Signing multiple exclusivity deals for FF7 remake and locking the DLC onto a heavily supply constrained PS5

So dumb IF it doesn’t end up coming to switch. I already got screwed with this cloud version of KH on Switch and now this, possibly.

Chrono Cross being a PS5 exclusive makes absolutely no sense. It would make no sense for Sony and it makes no sense for Square Enix. What a completely baffling decision if true.

Nate the Hate is reporting that Chrono Cross might be a PS5 Exclusive.

Square Enix definitely making a play for the West then since Japan doesn't buy PS5 software. I think a console exclusive of such a divisive game would be really dumb though.

Why remaster cross before trigger? Why does everything have to be done out of order
Two reasons:

1. Cross is not as beloved as Trigger so Modern Square remastering Cross wouldn't be as upsetting to fans of the original. Also Square Enix has been remastering their PS1 catalog for a while.

2. It might be easier rights wise to do Cross than Trigger which artists have partial rights on.

I wouldn't be shocked at all, Square will make anything exclusive for a while if you give them a bag. That's basically how they operate now. Don't really see the point with this one because I doubt a Chrono Chross remaster is hot property but it's not that weird to me either.
Exactly. I’ll cackle if this is true because remasters of decades old games really should be doing better almost anywhere but the PS5, where you’d think people would want more substantial new offerings that make use of the hardware.

If this is a full-blown next gen remake, maybe this would make sense. But SE don’t often make sense to me, I’m still waiting on those pixel remasters.

Why is Square so out of touch with the market / decisions with remasters / ports?

• Chrono Trigger only on PC and Mobile
  • FF1-6 only on PC and Mobile
  • Chrono Cross rumored to be PS5 only
  • Trials of Mana remake missing Xbox despite being an UE4 game (has to be worth the port job)
  • Signing multiple exclusivity deals for FF7 remake and locking the DLC onto a heavily supply constrained PS5

The last part is infuriating since the DLC content has both more answers, as it does question, and fills out the ending a bit.

I thought Chrono Cross was the "bad" one? I've only played trigger and that gets boring around the future bit.

Didn't it sell half of what Trigger did and lead to no more Chrono games?

Because Trigger doesn't really need the remaster.
Chrono Trigger could do with a "Pixel Remaster" like the classic Final Fantasy games are getting. But I imagine that would be a smaller project than whatever's happening with Cross and could be announced closer to release.

Nate the Hate is reporting that Chrono Cross might be a PS5 Exclusive.

There is no scenario in which a simple upscale/small scale remaster of Chrono Cross is PS5 exclusive lol. He's wrong on either that assertion, or his assertion that the game is a small scale remaster. If it's exclusive, then it's a big project where Sony spent a certain amount of money for.

Chrono Cross will release as a PS5 exclusive at the same time COD and Gamepass come to the Super Nintendo Switch

Somehow I doubt Sony would pay for exclusivity on what sounds like a bare bones remaster. Unless this is a bigger effort than it sounds or Sony is helping in some other way, I don't really believe it. Maybe the leak just comes from a trailer with a marketing partnership logo

“Might be”. I mean did Nate say it is or not? Anyone can say “might be”. Might be is just might be. It’s not definitive at all.

The speculation about this game is very strange and contradicting tbh. If it’s a remaster and not a remake, there is literally no reason for it to not be a standard PS1 remaster releasing for Switch/PS/PC just like Legend of Mana, SaGa Frontier, etc. After all I’m pretty sure that Square Enix’s remasters sold best on Switch, there is no reason for Chrono Cross to be singled out as a PS exclusive.

Now we also heard about the possibility of it being a remake on a similar scale as Trials of Mana, and honestly this doesn’t make sense either. For that game they simply converted a standard SNES action RPG to 3D. Chrono Cross is a much more ambitious and rough game, you can’t just give that game a more modern presentation and release it. I don’t think that a Chrono Cross remake would work on that type of scale, it would need a lot more work than simply having the exact same game in 3D. Either way, even then it doesn’t make sense for a game with supposedly Trials of Mana’s presentation to be a PS5 exclusive

“Might be”. I mean did Nate say it is or not? Anyone can say “might be”. Might be is just might be. It’s not definitive at all.
Didn't Nate also say in the Nintendo thread he thinks it's a Trials of Mana caliber remaster? Or am I remembering wrong? There have been really conflicting reports about the game but one thing is sure, it's shadow dropping in 2 days.

Didn't Nate also say in the Nintendo thread he thinks it's a Trials of Mana caliber remaster? Or am I remembering wrong? There have been really conflicting reports about the game but one thing is sure, it's shadow dropping in 2 days.
A Trials of Mana level remake isnt shadow dropping.

A FF7-9 style remaster is shadow drop worthy.

I’ll eat my hat if something that isn’t just an upres remaster shadow drops. At best, we get overhauled character models like FF8R.

I’ll eat my hat if something that isn’t just an upres remaster shadow drops. At best, we get overhauled character models like FF8R.
Who said it was a shadow drop?

Who said it was a shadow drop?
In the Another Eden's files it said something like "to celebrate the release of Chrono Cross remaster, we're having a CC Collaboration". "Release" not "Announcement", so everyone assumes this is gonna be a shadow drop during The Game Awards.

In the Another Eden's files it said something like "to celebrate the release of Chrono Cross remaster, we're having a CC Collaboration". "Release" not "Announcement", so everyone assumes this is gonna be a shadow drop during The Game Awards.
The geforce leak also has the game releasing this December. Not necessarily a shadow drop but it should be imminent either way.

Oooh, plot thickens...

I don't know who to believe anymore, both Nate and Sal have some solid sources. I guess this is a just wait and see situation.

If Nate said 'might be' (I haven't listened), then I wouldn't say these are conflicting. Nate could gotten wind of a trailer which only advertised a PS5 version, and that wouldn't be the first time such a trailer has existed. In other cases we've found out about a title being multi-platform from publisher tweets sometime after the major trailer.

It's the Battle of the Insiders.

Edit: Nate has resolved the Battle of the Insiders quickly and amicably.

Last edited:

I've got no idea why people keep referring to FFVII - IX when we've got much more recent examples of SE remastering PSX era RPGs. Chrono Cross will in all likelihood be similar to SaGa Frontier or Legend of Mana, so not a remake but a much more extensive remaster than the FF games were.

As someone who loves pre rendered backgrounds, I would take just high definition backgrounds with remastered character models and a sped up battle system. Leave music as is.

Why would this game even skip the PS4?
This sounds so stupid to be true.
Of all the bone-headed things Square-Enix has done over the years this would be definitely a serious contender. I don’t even see what the point of a PS5 exclusive would be at this point, unless Sony is giving them a seriously big exclusivity deal. But its also a really odd title for Sony to want as a PS5 exclusive.

Something doesn’t add up given what little we know about the project.

I didn't say it was exclusive. I said it it may launch exclusively on PS5 -- meaning it can release on other platforms later. I have only specifically heard of the PS5 version. I even said it may be a timed deal.

Last edited:
If that is true, why would Sony want launch exclusivity for a niche like this? Chrono Cross is a good game, but I did not think Sony would care about something like this tbh.

Does the person that leaked this have an account here?

The one from Xbox.

He may know better.

Does the person that leaked this have an account here?

The one from Xbox.

He may know better.

Nick Baker? The article in the OP mentions that he was told it's multiplat and not a PlayStation exclusive (no mention of it being timed or not).

Nick Baker? The article in the OP mentions that he was told it's multiplat and not a PlayStation exclusive (no mention of it being timed or not).
With him and the Gematsu one claiming to be multiplat, than I'm inclined to belive this is multiplat.

I’d understand Sony exclusivity but PS5 exclusivity? Why. Nobody is getting a next gen console for timed exclusive PS1 ports, why not just extend it to your entire user base.

It’s even funnier when you consider that plenty of Sony players already own a digital copy of this game, it just doesn’t carry forward. 😭

I didn't say it was exclusive. I said it it may launch exclusively on PS5 -- meaning it can release on other platforms later. I have only specifically heard of the PS5 version. I even said it may be a timed deal.
But Sony doesn't do timed exclusivity. At least for short periods. Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown was leaked for Switch, Xbox and PC yet one year after its PS4 launch, it's still locked to PS4. Same goes for indies like Bugsnax.

If this is anything like Final Fantasy 7 HD Remaster (it had 3.5 years of exclusivity), it's gonna be years before we play CC on another platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom