• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion VGC: Square-Enix is working on a multi platform remake/remaster of Chrono Cross (EDIT: Possibly PS5 Launch Exclusive?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Square so out of touch with the market / decisions with remasters / ports?

• Chrono Trigger only on PC and Mobile
  • FF1-6 only on PC and Mobile
  • Chrono Cross rumored to be PS5 only
  • Trials of Mana remake missing Xbox despite being an UE4 game (has to be worth the port job)
  • Signing multiple exclusivity deals for FF7 remake and locking the DLC onto a heavily supply constrained PS5
Chrono Trigger / The Pixel Remasters being on PC/Mobile makes some semblance of sense at least. PC hasn't really had a legal way of playing most of those games, same with mobile, so there's a potential untapped market to sell to. Also, in the case of the pixel remasters, it's a lot easier for them to iterate on bug fixes on those platforms due to less stringent certification processes needed for each patch. Hopefully those releases will come to modern consoles at some point, but for the longest time there were ways to legally obtain those games via (now defunct) services like PS Classics and Virtual Console.

The FF7 Remake thing is more likely a business deal with Sony/Epic. The same issues are going to arise with XVI.

Nate said this release should have new content not featured in the original Chrono Cross relear
Bring on the Magus = Guile cut!

I saw on Era Gematsu said it is multiplat. Maybe it’s exclusive for a very short period.

I’ll be fine with that if it comes to the Switch not too long after.

Many of us love Chrono Cross.
qWBHDKa.gif

Pretty sure the number of people who hate Cross outnumbers the fans though

I was only told it has "new" stuff.

I thought the Alan Wake 2 confirmation for TGA would have been a bigger thing than Chrono Cross...

Nintendo fans barley care or know what Alan Wake is. Not surprising.

In fact, in my many years of roaming forums, it’s always felt like a cult hit with a loud minority. Even tho I beileve the game sold like 4-5 million copies lol. Tho that remaster came and went, granted it was just a quite release.

Ooooorrrrrr it’s the time exclusive rumor that’s more intriguing to others lol. We love to dissect business decisions then playing games.

I wonder if Square is ready for the fan response to reviving the Chrono series. I have a feeling they don't realize what a big deal this is to a lot of us.
People want a new Trigger though. There's very few people who actually want a continuation on Cross I think. So if they're using Cross as a proxy for interest in continuing the series that would be a bit of an odd choice. Why not just announce "Chrono Trigger Pixel Remaster" and give fans what they really want?

Also, I'm going to go out on a limb and surmise that if Square is planning a new Chrono game in the style of Trigger it's going to Tokyo RPG Factory since they were gunning real hard for that with I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphear, and we haven't heard anything about them since Oninaki launced 2 years ago.

People want a new Trigger though. There's very few people who actually want a continuation on Cross I think. So if they're using Cross as a proxy for interest in continuing the series that would be a bit of an odd choice. Why not just announce "Chrono Trigger Pixel Remaster" and give fans what they really want?

I'm going to go out on a limb and surmise that if Square is planning a new Chrono game in the style of Trigger it's going to Tokyo RPG Factory since they were gunning real hard for that with I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphear.

But there was also some rumblings at the old site that trying to do anything new with Chrono was a giant mess due to the parties involved.
Tokyo RPG Factory doing a Chrono Trigger game? Oh no their games are mediocre. That’s like giving Arzest to make Pikmin 4.

Also, I'm going to go out on a limb and surmise that if Square is planning a new Chrono game in the style of Trigger it's going to Tokyo RPG Factory since they were gunning real hard for that with I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphear, and we haven't heard anything about them since Oninaki launced 2 years ago.
I have a weird feeling that Trigger is coming, but as a simple port and that that's the reason it hasn't been as leaky as Cross. And I've been talking for years about Tokyo RPG Factory taking over for a new Chrono, mostly due to Tokita going to work with them on Oninaki. The timing would line up. Trigger port, Cross remaster, then Tokyo RPG's Break.

Last edited:
Why y’all talking about Tokyo RPG doing Chrono game. This will have high expectations and their work so far is not good. They make some very forgettable games.

Revisionist history about Cross has gotten kind of out of control over the years. People act like it was some super niche release that nobody liked or something. The game sold over 1.5m back in the day without an EU release, was extremely highly rated, and ended up with a greatest hits release for the platform. And that was with releasing after the PS2 had already released in NA. It was essentially the highest selling non-FF game Square released for the PS1, outside of Parasite Eve I think.

Sorry folks. I was more into Legend of Dragoon back in my PS1 days.

Gimme that remaster too. (Game was kinda mediocre over all lol, high production values tho!)

Why y’all talking about Tokyo RPG doing Chrono game. This will have high expectations and their work so far is not good. They make some very forgettable games.
Because they at least seem to want to do it, which is more than I can say for the rest of Square. 😅

Revisionist history about Cross has gotten kind of out of control over the years. People act like it was some super niche release that nobody liked or something. The game sold over 1.5m back in the day without an EU release, was extremely highly rated, and ended up with a greatest hits release for the platform. And that was with releasing after the PS2 had already released in NA. It was essentially the highest selling non-FF game Square released for the PS1, outside of Parasite Eve I think.
Probably a toss-up between SaGa Frontier (which was largely on the strength of sales in Japan) and PE from some cursory searching.

But from my own experience, the people who don't like Cross really really don't like Cross, and it's largely down to the story elements and gameplay changes from Trigger. Maybe Cross is an early example of the phenomena we see with things like Final Fantasy XIII and XV which have both sold very well over the years but are considered fairly divisive due to the volume of flak they get?

Tokyo RPG Factory doing a Chrono Trigger game? Oh no their games are mediocre. That’s like giving Arzest to make Pikmin 4.
I have never played a Tokyo RPG Factory game before but I just understood this comparison so damn well I'm not even sure if I want to. Jesus, that was a powerful analogy. I'm floored.

I have never played a Tokyo RPG Factory game before but I just understood this comparison so damn well I'm not even sure if I want to. Jesus, that was a powerful analogy. I'm floored.
Your choice of titles are: Hey! Chrono or Chrono's New Trigger

Choose wisely

Chrono Cross is one of my all-time favorite games, so the thought of "remaster" makes me nervous.....

If it's a remaster like like FF8 or Saga Frontier I think it could look really good. Just please don't let it be an actual full on remake.

t from my own experience, the people who don't like Cross really really don't like Cross, and it's largely down to the story elements and gameplay changes from Trigger. Maybe Cross is an early example of the phenomena we see with things like Final Fantasy XIII and XV which have both sold very well over the years but are considered fairly divisive due to the volume of flak they get?
Cross is a game that I could come so close to loving if not for the fact that the pacing is atrocious after a while. It stops being a fluid, enthralling experience to become a bloated, confusing one. It's a shame because it starts being super strong but after a while it becomes dull and boring and a waste of one's time. I don't really mind the fact Cross is not Trigger or anything like that, but I can understand why some people could be frustrated when we consider how the games play like polar opposites after a while.

Just so yall understand who you're dealing with here:
rkiqeIm.jpg

I imported all three from Japan because they didn't get physical releases in America. I am a fan. LOL

Just so yall understand who you're dealing with here:
rkiqeIm.jpg

I imported all three from Japan because they didn't get physical releases in America.
My man. Same here (except I was able to snag Lost Sphear from S-E's US store when it was available).

The problem I have with Tokyo RPG Factory is that they clearly want to swing for the fences but always seem to fall short, but it's hard not to want to root for that. I get the impression that they're a farm team for Square and that's the sort of thing I think should be encouraged. Also, I probably have a bit of nostlalgia for the 16/32-bit Squaresoft era where not everything was solid gold but some of their more interesting projects were the one-offs coming out of their B-teams. I want to see more of that and less of what happened in the PS3/360 era where everything was AAA PS3/360 or FF/DQ/KH spinoffs on the handhelds.

Many of us love Chrono Cross.
I strongly prefer it to Trigger, and I played both.
Cross is imo the best jrpg on the ps1 by far, while Trigger isn't the best one on the Super Nintendo, Seiken Densetsu3 is.
Cross remake is probably the only thing that can make me buy a ps5 tomorrow.
So of course I'm hoping it's something like the Seiken Densetsu3 remake and is multiplatform.
I wanna fight that sad old man lost in time again where he kicks my ass but in beautiful HD please.

I thought the Alan Wake 2 confirmation for TGA would have been a bigger thing than Chrono Cross...
A correction: you and your friends joke in the podcast that cross must have sold like a couple hundred thousand, but in fact it sold like 1.6-1.7 million, making it the second best selling non-FF title of Square in that era, right below Parasite Eve. Furthermore, it sold more units in America than Trigger did, meaning that Japan was the sole reason Trigger ended up ahead in sales.

Chrono Cross is a 94 on Metacritic while Alan Flop is way down at an unplayable 83. Those numbers never lie! Alan Wake also has neither a French clown nor a camp dog with a lisp, which begs the question, what does it have? A torch or whatever?

(Honestly, it is very funny to me to see people come out to bat for CC and get excited for it - the distaste for it, even if it didn't represent the majority, was incredibly loud for a while in certain circles because it wasn't Trigger, had too many characters, too much story without enough clarity, etc. I think that it clearly is well-loved by a considerable fanbase, but I think it's also at a point where others are ready to reevaluate or try it for the first time, and it has a certain "ooh" factor for JRPG fans in territories where it never released.)

I guess a gamatsu writer is saying the game is multi platform and IF it’s a timed exclusive, it’s for only a month so they’re saying no exclusivity.

I just remembered this morning how vibrant this game looked back in 2000. It’s going to look awesome on the OLED Switch if it goes multi-platform.

I guess a gamatsu writer is saying the game is multi platform and IF it’s a timed exclusive, it’s for only a month so they’re saying no exclusivity.

A deal à la ghost n goblins resurrection makes far more sense, yeah

Just bumping this thread for no reason. No reason at all.

300 Chrono Cross background pics:

Yes, this is going to be wonderful.

U1nS2kc.png

b53r1HZ.png

zlZEqAS.png

8MwRBdm.png

jjMJ1aM.png

nterjNG.png

Just bumping this thread for no reason. No reason at all.

300 Chrono Cross background pics:

Yes, this is going to be wonderful.

U1nS2kc.png

b53r1HZ.png

zlZEqAS.png

8MwRBdm.png

jjMJ1aM.png

nterjNG.png

Good lord that game was pretty.
You know what it needs?
A re-release.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the meaning of calling this remake/remaster 'Radical'?
There was a Japan-only game between Chrono Trigger and Cross called Radical Dreamers that never got an official localisation. It featured some story elements that would later end up in Cross I think - it’s been ages since I played it but iirc it featured Kidd and mentioned the Frozen Flame.

There was a Japan-only game between Chrono Trigger and Cross called Radical Dreamers that never got an official localisation. It featured some story elements that would later end up in Cross I think - it’s been ages since I played it but iirc it featured Kidd and mentioned the Frozen Flame.
Ahh, so it fills in more of the plot gaps? I never played the series myself (I would if SE got their shit together on NSO), but a friend of mine is a huge fan of Chrono Trigger so if he knew of this he'd be a lot more excited by these rumours.

Ahh, so it fills in more of the plot gaps? I never played the series myself (I would if SE got their shit together on NSO), but a friend of mine is a huge fan of Chrono Trigger so if he knew of this he'd be a lot more excited by these rumours.

Yes... and no. It is limited in-scope because of a character-centric narrative, so it's more of a confirmation of some unconfirmed, but probable and expected, plot connections.

RD provides closure to some loose ends by connecting those threads to an unfinished tapestry. If including it is the extent of the new content, then okay. I'll appreciate having an official NA and worldwide release for part of the game that was otherwise unavailable.

To add to what @reconceptualize and @Ramune said, it was a text-only adventure story/game that was sort of a surprise sequel-ish, in that it definitely took place in Trigger's world, with some Trigger characters, but it wasn't near the scope of what we'd consider a full sequel or even a full game. Chrono Cross essentially adapted it, then went nuts with it. Roughly the first 1/3 or so of Chrono Cross is basically a huge adaptation of Radical Dreamers, then at the point where RD's story ends Cross's story starts to get out there, playing with the idea of alternate timelines and launching into the connections to Trigger.

One big difference between RD/CC is that one of the Trigger characters that's in RD is changed to a new character who merely looks similar in CC, in order to fit with their idea of the huge, interchangeable cast. There are some hints and retcons here and there that sorta wink at the audience that it's actually him but it's not really official within Cross, not nearly as much as it is in Radical Dreamers. So there's that sort of tidbit that you get from playing RD.

So, I don't know who to believe on this one. Nate says exclusive, but Gematsu and XboxEra say it's a multiplat.
Nate said "launching exclusively" on PS5, not that PS5 will retain exclusivity. Launching first on PS5 and then going multiplat would make them all correct.

Nate said "launching exclusively" on PS5, not that PS5 will retain exclusivity. Launching first on PS5 and then going multiplat would make them all correct.
The thing is PS timed exclusivity usually take a lot of time. If it's really timed exclusive, it's not coming to other systems before one year passed. Maybe more than that.

So this isn't it?

edit: I just realized this was a few days ago

But hey I think thee characters look great in this trailer.

Last edited:
The thing is PS timed exclusivity usually take a lot of time. If it's really timed exclusive, it's not coming to other systems before one year passed. Maybe more than that.
Yeah and that wait is gonna suck. Any wait is gonna suck. 😑

I don't see Sony making a month long deal though. Normally it is like 6 months to a year.
I don't expect a month long deal either.

So this isn't it?

Nope, not at all. That's a crossover with Kato's game Another Eden, which is supposed to be timed with the remaster. I lost the post but someone found in Another Eden's code something to the effect of "in celebration of the release of the new Chrono Cross remaster," and since the crossover is launching very, very close to TGA, we're pretty sure Cross Remastered is a shadowdrop at that event.

Last edited:
Yeah and that wait is gonna suck. Any wait is gonna suck. 😑

I don't expect a month long deal either.

Nope, not at all. That's a crossover with Kato's game Another Eden, which is supposed to be timed with the remaster. I lost the post but someone found in Another Eden's code something to the effect of "in celebration of the release of the new Chrono Cross remaster," and since the crossover is launching very, very close to TGA, we're pretty sure Cross Remastered is a shadowdrop at that event.
oh wow thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom