• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Updated sales numbers for Switch titles: Tears of the Kingdom (18.51M), and more (UPDATE: new sales numbers for many other games, see threadmarks)

mazi

picross pundit

updated sales numbers as of June 30, 2023 (+sales in the last quarter):
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 55.46M (+1.67M)
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 42.79M (+580K)
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 31.77M (+680K)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 30.65M (+840K)
  • Super Mario Odyssey - 26.44M (+680K)
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield - 25.92M (+100K)
  • Pokémon Scarlet and Violet - 22.66M (+560K)
  • Super Mario Party - 19.39M (+250K)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 18.51M
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 16.17M (+760K)

edit: more updated numbers from the 2023 CESA white paper, thanks to Kiria and CeroG1 from install base for posting them (link 1, link 2, link 3)

updated sales numbers as of December 31, 2022 (+sales since December 2021 unless noted):
  • Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - 15.06M (+140K since September 2022)
  • Splatoon 2 - 13.60M (+300K since March 2022)
  • Super Mario Maker 2 - 8.42M (+530K )
  • The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening - 6.46M (+380K)
  • Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - 4.64M (+420K since March 2022)
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 4.62M (+500K)
  • Mario Tennis Aces - 4.50M (+220K)
  • Kirby Star Allies - 4.38M (+400K)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD - 4.15M (+240K since March 2022)
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 4.12M (+300K)
  • 1-2 Switch - 3.74M (+110K)
  • Paper Mario: The Origami King - 3.47M (+130K)
  • Yoshi’s Crafted World - 3.35M (+340K)
  • Metroid Dread - 3.04M (+140K since March 2022)
  • Arms - 2.72M (+60K)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 2.70M (+260K)
  • Mario Golf: Super Rush - 2.48M (+130K since March 2022)
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe - 2.40M (+170K)
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 2.35M (+220K)
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX - 1.99M (+100K)
  • Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain - 1.94M (+350K since March 2022)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition - 1.88M (+200K)
  • Miitopia - 1.79M (+110K since March 2022)
  • Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit - 1.73 (+150K)
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order - 1.60M (+100K)
  • WarioWare: Get It Together! - 1.34M (+70K since March 2022)
  • Astral Chain - 1.33M (+50K)
  • Dr Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch - 1.27M (+70K)
  • Bayonetta (Switch) - 1.24M
  • Bayonetta 2 (Switch) - 1.23 (+190K)
  • Game Builder Garage - 1.15M (+90K since March 2022)
  • Shin Megami Tensei V - 1.10M (+100K since April 2022)

Last edited:
After decades of being a prestige franchise with OK sales, Zelda has finally become an A tier powerhouse franchise for Nintendo. I'm so happy to see it!

Amazing, fantastic, outstanding for Zelda, and really, really deserved. I think it was for its first 50 days on sale? Outside the holiday season that is truly remarkable. 30 million might be a bridge too far by the end of the year but it'll get there at some point next year and become the best selling game in the franchise.

HYLIA ALMIGHTY

Long live The Legend of Zelda series. This is the Breath of the Wild series now because there's no going back.

I can’t wait for “Princess Peach will star as the main character in a brand new game (temp)” in 2024. Going to be rad!

Jesus Christ.

The plumber should be thankful he has his karting pastime, because there’s genuinely a chance mainline Zelda has become a bigger juggernaut than mainline Mario.

Like… I don’t see Wonder outdoing this. It’s going to soar past Odyssey too, we haven’t even hit its first holiday.

You can’t even make the Wonder will outleg it argument, because BotW is an extremely leggy title

The biggest star is of course zelda TotK, 18.5mil in less than 2 months is bonkers and it looks like it will outpace and surpass botw in the end; Nintendo already confirmed that the game is being bought by a lot of consumers who never played botw.
The second big point is that the Mario movie gave a huge boost to all things Mario but the biggest winners look to be mario kart of course and new super mario bros u.
The fact that a port of a 2d Mario game is seeing bigger growth than Mario odyssey after the big movie bodes extremely well for Super Mario bros wonder, I think it may surpass both odyssey and the ds and wii 2d Mario and go over 35mil with big legs. We're not ready for it.
Other than that scarlet and violet will easily outsell sword and shield and well that's the last of the numbers we got. Sadly no advance wars million seller.

No updates on Splatoon 3? Game seems like it sank like a rock after 10mil.
Last sales update was for the end of the last financial year. No update this quarter simply means it didn't hit 1 million for the quarter, which isn't surprising; only Zelda and Kart broke that milestone in this reporting period.

Jesus Christ.

The plumber should be thankful he has his karting pastime, because there’s genuinely a chance mainline Zelda has become a bigger juggernaut than mainline Mario.

Like… I don’t see Wonder outdoing this. It’s going to soar past Odyssey too, we haven’t even hit its first holiday.

You can’t even make the Wonder will outleg it argument, because BotW is an extremely leggy title
I definitely see Wonder outdoing this, a port of a 10 year old game is still selling really well, for it to be in the top 10, so a brand new 2D Mario will sell even more

We are getting fairly close to Mario Kart sales eclipsing the population of the 25th most populated country, Italy. (55.8 million according to Wikipedia)

Didn’t even say it flopped. It sold 10 million pretty quick compared to 2 but then just stopped selling right when it went to that mark.
Historically the quarter after the holidays is slow, and usually Nintendo is still selling through holiday shipments, since they tend to stuff the channels during that season. The moderate shipment increase from ~10m to ~10.6m that we saw from the last update doesn't seem particularly questionable in that sense, since they wouldn't have needed to ship much for Q4 of their FY. It will probably be awhile before another update is given, since they only give updates for their top 10, and for anything that sells a million in the quarter, but I don't think there's any reason to believe the sales have fallen off a cliff, unless you were expecting it to dramatically outperform Splatoon 2.

Monstrous sales for TOTK, and their wording about it appealing to people who didn't play BOTW is fascinating, indicates it's developing an appeal beyond even those who enjoyed the first game.

Shame Advance Wars didn't breach the million mark, but it seems to have done OK based on the data we do have. Hopefully it's enough for WayForward to have a crack at a new entry.

My uncle’s wife’s third cousin twice removed works at Nintendo and he said Everybody 1-2 Switch sold 50 million in its first day, Nintendo just doesn’t want to reveal it since it would make every other company look bad.

After decades of being a prestige franchise with OK sales, Zelda has finally become an A tier powerhouse franchise for Nintendo. I'm so happy to see it!
By the standards of the console gaming market in the 80s and 90s, Zelda was a best seller. It was only really in the 2000s the series began to decline commercially, except for a spike due to TP Wii. So I'd say it's more like it recovered from a slump and caught up to where the industry is now.

Anyway, TOTK's success goes without saying, but it's still cool to see as it's become one of my all time favorite games. Really hope we get DLC.

No updates on Splatoon 3? Game seems like it sank like a rock after 10mil.
Only updates here on the top 10, or games that sold over 1m units in the quarter. Only to do that were Mario Kart and TotK. And to be in the top 10, Splatoon 3 would need to be over 15m, which isn't feasible at this point.

Tears of the Kingdom's rise means Ring Fit Adventure has finally dropped out of the top 10 Switch titles.

Also clear proof Nintendo should give us a top 20, and it's possible that right now the bar to entering the top 20 for Switch is 10 million units (Switch Sports will be the 20th best selling title on the system and was at 9.6 million as of March 31st).

God of War Ragnarok - 11 million as of February 2023. (PS4/PS5.)

Elden Ring - 20 million as of February 2023. (Everything except Switch.)

Tears Of The Kingdom literally outsold both games in less than 3 months, lol.

zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-ascend-bestseller.gif

Tears of the Kingdom's rise means Ring Fit Adventure has finally dropped out of the top 10 Switch titles.

Also clear proof Nintendo should give us a top 20, and it's possible that right now the bar to entering the top 20 for Switch is 10 million units (Switch Sports will be the 20th best selling title on the system and was at 9.6 million as of March 31st).

I hope RFA falling out of the Top 10 is the trigger that makes Nintendo do a sequel already.

no Advanced Wars and Metroid sales?
Well Metroid was the quarter before this and they don't usually report on games that didn't sell 1 mil in the quarter (top 10 aside) afaik.

Apparently the only titles to sell >1 mil this past quarter were TotK and MK8D. Advance Wars being sub 1 mil isn't surprising.

Those numbers don't make sense like wtf?

That's absolutely crazy on Zelda's part. It took BoTW from 2017-present to hit 31 million.

This report is about a month old so that means ToTK is sitting around 20 million sold in a matter of months.

It might clear BoTW by the end of the year. Holy shit.

Those numbers don't make sense like wtf?

That's absolutely crazy on Zelda's part. It took BoTW from 2017-present to hit 31 million.

This report is about a month old so that means ToTK is sitting around 20 million sold in a matter of months.

It might clear BoTW by the end of the year. Holy shit.
TOTK is definitely gonna be more frontloaded than BOTW was, it launched on a system with a userbase of over 100 million. There's no guarantee it will pass BOTW by the end of it all.

Only updates here on the top 10, or games that sold over 1m units in the quarter. Only to do that were Mario Kart and TotK. And to be in the top 10, Splatoon 3 would need to be over 15m, which isn't feasible at this point.
That’s true. Seems like they dropped the ball on this one at least outside of Japan, as it looks like sales overseas were worst than 2 but Japan sales were way better.

Something they should keep in mind for the next game.

What's impressive about TotK is, according to one of the slides, that it's now "starting" to lure in Switch owners/player who didn't play BotW.

EDIT: a couple of hours after i posted this many of these games have been updated now thanks to someone getting their hands on the CESA 2023 white book and sharing the data, so thankyou to them.

For anyone wondering here are the games that didn't get updated although most of them will be updated when someone gets hold of the 2023 CESA white book.

Million Sellers not updated this Quarter (1st Party)

Ring Fit adventure:
15.38m
Pokémon Let's Go: 15.07m
Pokémon BD/SP: 14.92m
Pokémon Legends Arceus: 14.83m
Splatoon 2: 13.30m
Luigi's Mansion 3: 12.82m
Super Mario 3D World + BF: 11.38m
Splatoon 3: 10.67m
Mario Party Superstars: 10.17m
Switch Sports: 9.60m
Super Mario 3D All-Stars: 9.07m
Super Mario Maker 2: 7.89m
Kirby ATFL: 6.46m
Legend of Zelda LA: 6.08m
Mario Tennis Aces: 4.28m
Clubhouse Games: 4.22m
DKC Tropical Freeze: 4.12m
Hyrule Warriors AOC: 4.00m
Kirby Star Allies: 3.98m
Legend of Zelda SS: 3.91m
Fire Emblem TH: 3.82m
1-2 Switch: 3.63m
Paper Mario Origami King: 3.34m
Yoshi's Crafted World: 3.01m
Metroid Dread: 3.00m
New Pokémon Snap!: 2.74m
Arms: 2.66m
Mario Strikers Battle League: 2.54m
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 2.44m
Mario Golf Super Rush: 2.35m
Pikmin 3 Deluxe: 2.23m
Captain Toad TT: 2.13m
Octopath Traveller: 2.08m
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: 1.89m
Xenoblade Chronicles 3: 1.86m
Miitopia: 1.68m
Xenoblade Chronicles DE: 1.68m
Fire Emblem Engage: 1.61m
Big Brain Academy Brain vs Brain: 1.59m
Mario Kart Live Home Circuit: 1.58m
Pokkén Tournament DX: 1.54m
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: 1.50m
Kirby's Return to Dream Land DX: 1.46m
Astral Chain: 1.28m
Wario Ware Get it Together!: 1.27m
Dr Kawashima's Brain training: 1.20m
Metroid Prime Remastered: 1.09m
Bayonetta 3: 1.07m
Game Builder Garage: 1.06m
Bayonetta 2: 1.04m
Fire Emblem Three Hopes: 1.00m

Last edited:
TOTK is definitely gonna be more frontloaded than BOTW was, it launched on a system with a userbase of over 100 million. There's no guarantee it will pass BOTW by the end of it all.
Definitely not by end of the year, but lifetime I do think it will, but you'd have to combine it with Switch 2 sales. I think it will do around 25M on base Switch alone.

Definitely not by end of the year, but lifetime I do think it will, but you'd have to combine it with Switch 2 sales. I think it will do around 25M on base Switch alone.
BOTW is still selling strong every quarter so it will be a tight race. We'll see what numbers TOTK is putting up a year from now.

I hope RFA falling out of the Top 10 is the trigger that makes Nintendo do a sequel already.
I hope for Ring Fit Adventure 2 they improve the tracking with the IR because it's truly awful at times. Nothing worse than trying to do an exercise and the game inexplicably giving you low points despite following their form instructions to the letter.

Back
Back
Top Bottom