• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Updated sales numbers for Switch titles: Pikmin 4 (2.61M), Tears of the Kingdom (19.50M), and more

Given the sell-through of the initial 18.51m number, how much of the new 19.5m number is sold through?

I mean it's still not bad in the slightest. Zelda seeing nearly 20 million in 4 months was a pipe dream before BOTW.

I still think holiday sales will be great. Maybe not my initial 25 million estimate for the year, but 23.5 maybe.

SMBW is primed to blow up, I feel. the holidays will be very kind to it.

Has the "tears of the kingdom bombed" rhetoric started?

I think the TOTK drop was expected because sequels tend to be more frontloaded, and it launched on a much bigger install base.

Cool to see how BOTW continues to sell well even after TOTK's launch, though.

Last edited:
I have no idea how anyone could describe advance wars reboot camp as not trying.
I meant not trying in terms of marketing mainly for both titles, not the games themselves. They didn't even release Advance Wars in Japan. Baten Kaitos never got a North American physical edition. It just seemed like both these releases came and went with minimal marketing effort (plus sending Advance Wars out to die weeks before ToTK launched).

I meant not trying in terms of marketing mainly for both titles, not the games themselves. They didn't even release Advance Wars in Japan. Baten Kaitos never got a North American physical edition. It just seemed like both these releases came and went with minimal marketing effort (plus sending Advance Wars out to die weeks before ToTK launched).
FWIW, wasn't the Baten Kaitos remake a Bandai Namco joint?

The fact that every Mario game held up extremely well over the last quarter and that NSMBUDX of all games outsold BOTW (which could support the idea that TOTK is holding back its sales but we'll have to wait and see for next quarter) is very good for Wonder's prospects imo, it shows that the movie clearly had a prolonged impact on the franchise's performance and should hopefully lead in nicely for Wonder's first holiday.

If it didn't launch in the same week as Spider-Man 2, I feel like America would've broken the fastest selling Mario record alongside Europe, but if its holds in America are as good as they have been in Europe I'd expect a meaty number to be announced at the next FY report; a shame we'll have to wait a while to see the hard numbers.

image.png

Quite a few additional numbers from the new slides, but I can’t compile them all myself currently. Forgotten Land is now at 6.96m, going to tip over into 7m by the end of the FY.

Saw this discussion on Twitter, maybe a bit emotional because I’ve had a bit to drink, but I hate this!!! It’s inspired such a passionate disgusted reaction in me!

Bayonetta is such a unique protagonist in the industry. High camp, fashion-forward, sex-positive female protagonist.. I’d sacrifice a million generic, silent protagonist, cop Astral Chain protagonists if it means we get 1 more Bayonetta game.

Bayo 3 is so good, I hope at least 1m+ is enough to secure it a future, it’s a bright spot in the industry and it STILL stands out 10 years later imo.

If it comes down to Bayo vs Astral Chain in the future, Bayonetta herself as a character is worth so much more than everything the Astral Chain IP has to offer multiple times over. I literally can’t lose her, I want her to be a Nintendo console and smash roster mainstay, I’d die if this series died 😭

Last edited:
I support my Pikmin 4 copy on Oct. 18th because I had one voucher left after got Mario Wonder.
Looking at now, Pikmin 4 is simply wonderful gaming experience but I didn't like it at the first place backed to H1 after I play Pikmin 1 & 2 HD and then the demo. I really don't like the demo which is too hand-holding and I more enjoy the old school 1 & 2.
All in all, I hope Pikmin series do well. And if Nintendo is not gonna make another Pikmin 1 & 2 "sequel" sequel, please completely remake Pikmin 1 & 2 with more powerful hardware & better AI.

Saw this discussion on Twitter, maybe a bit emotional because I’ve had a bit to drink, but I hate this!!! It’s inspired such a passionate disgusted reaction in me!

Bayonetta is such a unique protagonist in the industry. High camp, fashion-forward, sex-positive female protagonist.. I’d sacrifice a million generic, silent protagonist, cop Astral Chain protagonists if it means we get 1 more Bayonetta game.

Bayo 3 is so good, I hope at least 1m+ is enough to secure it a future, it’s a bright spot in the industry and it STILL stands out 10 years later imo.

If it comes down to Bayo vs Astral Chain in the future, Bayonetta herself as a character is worth so much more than everything the Astral Chain IP has to offer multiple times over. I literally can’t lose her, I want her to be a Nintendo console and smash roster mainstay, I’d die if this series died 😭

Yeah Bayonetta is so fucking cool plus she's the face platinum, I hope she doesn't get replaced because another game sold more. Astral Chain is just more accessible (rated T) so it's gonna have a bigger audience on a Nintendo system. Killing off the Bayonetta IP because a niche spin-off on a niche series didn't light the world on fire would be super stupid.

I don't think Bayonetta would be killed by Astral Chain or anything, more that it strikes me as a series that needs a vocal person to advocate for it like Metroid had. Whether that's Kamiya or someone else, that will probably determine the future of the series going forward.

Nintendo did seem to acquire the full rights to Astral Chain from Platinum, so presumably they’re planning to do more with the IP. Regardless, Bayonetta and Astral Chain are free to coexist.

It’s just bonkers how much Nintendos software can sell on the switch. I mean compare the list to the best selling games on PS4 or even the best selling games on PC.

Tears of the kingdom has almost sold more than the best selling game on PS4 in just a couple of months. Most likely the switch will have at least 8, if not 9, titles selling more than 20m copies. That’s really unprecedented.

I mean, according to this list, just Pikmin 4 have sold enough to be comfortably among the top 5 selling PS5 titles.

Nintendo's briefing confirms that sell-in (sales to consumers) was 17.6 million for Tears of the Kingdom as of September 30th; that means the game sold 1.9 million copies to consumers in the second quarter, just about double the level of shipments (990k). Check page 42 of the latest document on their investor relations website for confirmation.

And, for clarity's sake, I'm not in the camp expecting Tears to outsell its predecessor, but I do think the 'weak second quarter' and 'won't hit 30 million' claims were very much overblown; not to mention the Skyward Sword comparisons.

I wouldn't take a random twitter take so personally. Nintendo of all companies understand that different niche IP bring a lot of value to their software line up beyond the immediate bottom line.

I don't see why they'd drop Bayonetta, or why they'd have to drop Bayonetta in favour of Astral Chain. I loved Astral Chain and hope it continues, but that doesn't have to be at Bayonetta's expense.

Given the sell-through of the initial 18.51m number, how much of the new 19.5m number is sold through?

I mean it's still not bad in the slightest. Zelda seeing nearly 20 million in 4 months was a pipe dream before BOTW.

I still think holiday sales will be great. Maybe not my initial 25 million estimate for the year, but 23.5 maybe.

SMBW is primed to blow up, I feel. the holidays will be very kind to it.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2023/231108e.pdf
- Zelda Totk sold through 17.6 million up from 15.7 million the previous quarter (1.9million sold through in Q2 versus only 0.99 million shipped).

K33omS5.jpg

hKhf3vM.jpg

Last edited:
Nintendo's briefing confirms that sell-in (sales to consumers) was 17.6 million for Tears of the Kingdom as of September 30th; that means the game sold 1.9 million copies to consumers in the second quarter, just about double the level of shipments (990k). Check page 42 of the latest document on their investor relations website for confirmation.

And, for clarity's sake, I'm not in the camp expecting Tears to outsell its predecessor, but I do think the 'weak second quarter' and 'won't hit 30 million' claims were very much overblown; not to mention the Skyward Sword comparisons.

I wouldn't take a random twitter take so personally. Nintendo of all companies understand that different niche IP bring a lot of value to their software line up beyond the immediate bottom line.

I don't see why they'd drop Bayonetta, or why they'd have to drop Bayonetta in favour of Astral Chain. I loved Astral Chain and hope it continues, but that doesn't have to be at Bayonetta's expense.
True enough, I supposed it’s just really discouraging to see prominent Nintendo influencer people discuss the series in this light, that she’s not as “cool” as the silent protagonist cops of Astral Chain.

Bayo’s full potential as a character is still unexplored even by Platinum. She’s resonated so strongly with an LGBTQ+ fanbase in a way that no other character in the entire game industry blatantly has imo. It’s hard to explain if you aren’t part of the community, but if you are, you just get it. The high camp, drag queen, pop star-esque appeal…. I’ll fully admit I don’t think Kamiya thought it would capture that fanbase at all, and probably wasn’t aiming to, but it was lightning in a bottle and she did and we love her.

She’s not a side character either, she’s the protagonist of a hardcore action series. I just don’t know when we’ll get something like that again, she’s a treasure. In an industry that’s still full of male protagonists and female characters that either play second fiddle to the main character or exist purely for male sex appeal, Bayonetta has the potential to be something so much greater, and in many ways, already is.

In an industry that’s still full of male protagonists and female characters that either play second fiddle to the main character or exist purely for male sex appeal, Bayonetta has the potential to be something greater.
i wouldn't say this is the case anymore in the industry. 10-15 years ago, but not now. Most AAA games, especially from Western studios, feature a mix of female protagonists and don't have female characters that exist just for sex appeal.

i wouldn't say this is the case anymore in the industry. 10-15 years ago, but not now. Most AAA games, especially from Western studios, feature a mix of female protagonists and don't have female characters that exist just for sex appeal.
True, great progress has been made, but I still feel like Bayonetta is an extremely valuable and unique female protagonist the likes of which aren’t really seen in games to this day.

I mean negative post launch discourse about TOTK was inevitable due to the fact that fans of the old Zelda formula would of course do anything they could to paint the picture of failure so to drive the discourse about the ''need to return to the traditional Zelda formula'', but all that discourse is just from a vocal minority desperate for Nintendo to stop making BOTW, TOTK style Zelda games in the future.

I'm with you about Bayonetta. Way better than Astral Chain. I don't care what platforms it comes out on, but I want more Bayonetta to keep happening.

Also Jon is a cool person but that other account seems not worth reading looking at the timeline.

Am I the only who thinks Metroid Prime Remastered selling 270k more units in just three months is fantastic? As much as Kirby Forgotten Land did in the same March-June 2023 time frame. Granted Kirby is out much longer but also is a way bigger name.

Here are some highlights
  • Net sales up 21.2% and Net profit up 17.7% year over year (Q1+Q2)
  • Net sales forecast to be 9% up and Net profit 23.5% up year over year for the entire fiscal year
  • Software forecast increased to 185 million
  • Nintendo want to bring more exposure to all of their characters
  • Nintendo pleased with the growth of the Mario series
  • Super Mario Bro's Wonder sold through 4.3 million after 2 weeks
  • Pikmin 4 sold through 2.5 million
  • Switch hardware has sold through over 130 million
  • First party software sell-through is the second highest so far this fiscal year
  • Zelda: TotK sold through 17.6 million up from 15.7 million the previous quarter (1.9million sold through in Q2 versus only 0.99 million shipped).
  • Zelda: Twilight princess sold 7.50 million on Wii (previous report was 7.26 million over a decade ago)
  • Nintendo pleased with the growth of the Zelda series
  • Nintendo pleased with the incredible legs of their 1st party software
  • Nintendo Pleased that Animal Crossing and Kirby sales are not so reliant on Japan anymore because they sell very well overseas.
  • Kirby and the Forgotten land has now sold 6.96 million.
  • Subscribers to Nintendo Switch online reach over 38 million
  • Annual active users reach 117 million

MEbaflX.jpg

hJY8dd5.jpg

oaBpCZN.jpg

18MzVHh.jpg

9ICAli5.jpg

L06xPbH.jpg

yIDYCXA.jpg

w1UsuKJ.jpg

Q5scjli.jpg

djXmDtB.jpg

m0xR4pO.jpg

kfJoVsD.jpg

2jULKyg.jpg

IB7cNTb.jpg

4W5zGJV.jpg

xnYTWOI.jpg

apUDPef.jpg

hWjsnLX.jpg

Last edited:
NSO growth has gradually slowed. Nintendo have reported figures up to September 30th of each year:

2020 to 2021: 26m -> 32m (+6m)
2021 to 2022: 32m -> 36m (+4m)
2022 to 2023: 36m -> 38m (+2m)

You have to wonder how many people join the service but leave, what the base/EP split is, and what Nintendo could do to grow things further. It's not like the service is in any danger, but growth is clearly slowing. Some of that can be attributed to slowing hardware adoption for Switch, but there's plenty of users out there for Nintendo to try and attract.

Nintendo launched NSO in 2018 and added the extra tier in 2021. It'll be interesting to see if the service gets an overhaul in 2024; with new hardware seemingly imminent, it might be an appropriate time to do so.

It’s just bonkers how much Nintendos software can sell on the switch. I mean compare the list to the best selling games on PS4 or even the best selling games on PC.
Those sources are terrible, though. It doesn't include total sales of third party games, which basically immediately makes it invalid. Not to say that it's not good for comparing Sony's figures, but Fifa, COD, and GTA almost certainly sell around 10-20M+ alone on PS consoles. GTA in particular is probably the Mario Kart of PS and could even be at 50M+. Of course it's unlikely that COD and Fifa depending on the entry are far above 10-15M because they get replaced every year, and there's also wavering interest YoY, but still. PC especially isn't reliable, you're never going to get accurate PC data.

While Nintendo definitely has quite a few games above the 20M mark compared to PS, it's also important to remember PS sales are way more consistent than that picture paints. You're just never going to get a good picture because of third party data.

That slide with children in Japan who liked the Pikmin commercial song way back are now parents with their own kids

it's beautiful 😭

Impressive.

Now let’s see how they stack up against previous generations in adjusted sales versus console install base.

That’s how we see what is truely “growing”. I’ll tackle this when I get some time in the coming days. Just a hypothesis but I suspect this will make totk look extremely impressive but make pikmin 4 look pedestrian. I’m rooting for pikmin 4 to have strong legs.

Im more interested in looking at the lower half of the chart and the games that didnt chart at all. Bayonetta 3 is barely holding there, We dont have official numbers for Cereza and with Kamiya's departure from PG i dont see a good future in it. Maybe we re in for a long break with bayonetta.

Advance Wars didnt chart either, a game that didnt sell well and might be the last one for the series.

Did Baten Kaitos release within the time frame for this? I hope it didnt because of it did no comment is worst comment

Also Dr Kawashima and Brain academy doing almost 2 million is great for those series, i hope we see a bigger and meatier follow up from them

Advance Wars remake definitely seemed like a Hail Mary to see if there was interest in the series. I think it will always be in FE’s shadow, unfortunately.

I don’t think Aonuma was lying about being done with BotW/TotK Hyrule, so the question of new content to TotK becomes much more interesting.

Zelda is the biggest mystery for the Switch 2 launch year right now. It’s such an important IP to Nintendo now that they’ve got to have something, but the release times don’t line up well to make it easily predictable. Like how with Mario we’re all pretty much on the 3D Mario train because… it’s time, and it’s been time for a while.

There’s multiple ways they could take it, TotK performance-boosted seems like a given but I feel like they’d want even more. I think they’re done with this Hyrule for real, so maybe a separate, smaller, Bowser’s Fury-like side game that takes place in a different area and throws some experimental new mechanics in?

They could also go in the direction of a Demon’s Souls PS5-esque remake for one of the classic 3D Zeldas that’s not as demanding on the game side as the open air games, but really pushes visuals/performance as kind of a showcase for the new hardware.
A high budget AAA Ocarina of Time Remake that pushes the next console visually is imo as big to Nintendo as the FFVII Remake was to Square. They’re keeping it until they need it.

The Switch 2 launch year might just be it.

They could also just use AI upscaling for the textures and release the 3DS version in 4K for $70 😂

A high budget AAA Ocarina of Time Remake that pushes the next console visually is imo as big to Nintendo as the FFVII Remake was to Square. They’re keeping it until they need it.

The Switch 2 launch year might just be it.

They could also just use AI upscaling for the textures and release the 3DS version in 4K for $70 😂

I'm moderately confident to say that Nintendo would never do a remake like ff7r; two reasons. First is that, unlike square, they place a lot of value on their history where I often get the impression that square are a bit embarrassed. Second is that, bluntly, a high end remake of any Zelda game would be pretty much indistinguishable from a new game anyway. They're largely all repeating the same story brush strokes.

Here are some highlights
  • Net sales forecast to be 9% up and Net profit 23.5% up year over year for the entire fiscal year
  • First party software sell-through is the second highest so far this fiscal year
  • Zelda: TotK sold through 17.6 million up from 15.7 million the previous quarter (1.9million sold through in Q2 versus only 0.99 million shipped).
  • Zelda: Twilight princess sold 7.50 million on Wii (previous report was 7.26 million over a decade ago)
  • Nintendo Pleased that Animal Crossing and Kirby sales are not so reliant on Japan anymore because the sell very well overseas.

MEbaflX.jpg

hJY8dd5.jpg

oaBpCZN.jpg

18MzVHh.jpg

9ICAli5.jpg

L06xPbH.jpg

yIDYCXA.jpg

w1UsuKJ.jpg

Q5scjli.jpg

djXmDtB.jpg

m0xR4pO.jpg

kfJoVsD.jpg

2jULKyg.jpg

IB7cNTb.jpg

4W5zGJV.jpg

xnYTWOI.jpg

apUDPef.jpg

hWjsnLX.jpg
totk spread by positive reviews

We had a whole argument about “bad wom” lol

We had a whole argument about “bad wom” lol
the reviews are positive, as they are for every mainline Zelda game. journalists publish reviews during their honeymoon period with the title and don't have time to properly digest/critique titles. See SS having a 92+ MC despite wildly being considered the worst mainline entry by fans.

the WOM between fans has definitely cooled off since launch. it's considerably different compared to the very positive discourse that continued to surround BOTW at this point in time. I think this will have a negative impact on TOTK's legs going forward (not that it isn't already a crazy success), and will definitely have an impact on the reception of the next mainline Zelda.

Im more interested in looking at the lower half of the chart and the games that didnt chart at all. Bayonetta 3 is barely holding there, We dont have official numbers for Cereza and with Kamiya's departure from PG i dont see a good future in it. Maybe we re in for a long break with bayonetta.

Advance Wars didnt chart either, a game that didnt sell well and might be the last one for the series.

Did Baten Kaitos release within the time frame for this? I hope it didnt because of it did no comment is worst comment

Also Dr Kawashima and Brain academy doing almost 2 million is great for those series, i hope we see a bigger and meatier follow up from them
Baten Kaitos is published by Bandai Namco, Nintendo will not comment about it in their financials.

Nintendo can do a Astral Chain and 5 years later Bayonetta 4

the WOM between fans has definitely cooled off since launch. it's considerably different compared to the very positive discourse that continued to surround BOTW at this point in time
Again, very anecdotal. By concrete metrics, TotK has great word of mouth.

I mean the WOM was so good for TotK that my coworker just recently bought an OLED Switch just to play it. Didn't even start with BotW.

Discussing the WOM of any game in a specialized forum is ridiculous. You are just echoing what some others in your same niche user base think. The WOM in a videogame board like this may have nothing to do with the one out of here. I totally don't agree the WOM with TOTK is bad by any means, despite I have a lot of problems with that game.

Here are some highlights
  • Nintendo Pleased that Animal Crossing and Kirby sales are not so reliant on Japan anymore because the sell very well overseas.

MEbaflX.jpg

hJY8dd5.jpg

oaBpCZN.jpg

18MzVHh.jpg

9ICAli5.jpg

L06xPbH.jpg

yIDYCXA.jpg

w1UsuKJ.jpg

Q5scjli.jpg

djXmDtB.jpg

m0xR4pO.jpg

kfJoVsD.jpg

2jULKyg.jpg

IB7cNTb.jpg

4W5zGJV.jpg

xnYTWOI.jpg

apUDPef.jpg

hWjsnLX.jpg
  • Nintendo Revenue (April - September 23) = $5.3 Billion (¥796.2 Billion)
  • Nintendo Operating Profit (April - September 23) = $1.9 Billion (¥279.9 Billion)
  • Playstation Revenue (July - September 23) = $6.32 Billion (¥954.1 Billion)
  • Playstation Operating Profit (July - September 23) = $0.32 Billion (¥48.9 Billion)
* Nintendo latest FR didn't seperate July - September 23 results

Last edited:
  • Nintendo Revenue (April - September 23) = $5.3 Billion (¥796.2 Billion)
  • Nintendo Operating Profit (April - September 23) = $1.9 Billion (¥279.9 Billion)

That's quite the profit margin for that period they have going over there at Nintendo. Even Apple would be envious of such margins.

the reviews are positive, as they are for every mainline Zelda game. journalists publish reviews during their honeymoon period with the title and don't have time to properly digest/critique titles. See SS having a 92+ MC despite wildly being considered the worst mainline entry by fans.

the WOM between fans has definitely cooled off since launch. it's considerably different compared to the very positive discourse that continued to surround BOTW at this point in time. I think this will have a negative impact on TOTK's legs going forward (not that it isn't already a crazy success), and will definitely have an impact on the reception of the next mainline Zelda.
Kinda feel like your projecting your own feelings on this

Back
Top Bottom