• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Updated sales numbers for Switch titles: Pikmin 4 (2.61M), Tears of the Kingdom (19.50M), and more

TOTK's hype has really died down post-launch once people played the game and realized how similar it was to BOTW. Not surprised sales slow down as a result, most post-launch discourse has been critical.

It's not going to have the evergreen legs of BOTW. And if the next mainline Zelda follows in the formula, expect a large dropoff in sales.
Agreed, personally, it felt like BOTW but worse to me. I didn't really like a lot of the new locations they added or the new abilities. Especially the depths, I hated the depths lol.

And yeah if the next Zelda is essentially BOTW 3 it will sell poorly by the series' standards. I know it would be the first Zelda game in a long time that I wouldn't buy.

That's almost irrelevant to comparing the two games. But, if anything, that's a negative against TOTKs performance because traditionally Jan-Mar is the weakest part of the year and ScarVios second quarter still did better than TOTKs.
This isn't strictly accurate. During the last fiscal year, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, BOTW, and Super Mario Odyssey all had significantly better Q4s than they had Q2s. Animal Crossing and Smash Ultimate were the only exceptions, and in Ultimate's case it wasn't by much.

The framing of TOTK's "critical re-evaluation/honeymoon period is over" being this new thing for Zelda that visibly affects its reception and sales brings me back to a time when BOTW was such an unheard of critical firestorm that it felt like I'd commonly get into the most aggressive debates on the internet with people who were staunchly railing against convention flipping design choices like breakable weapons, non-traditional Zelda dungeons, Shrines, the dearth of bespoke design brought about by the open air formula, and more. Super Bunnyhop's critical review on the game dropped less than three weeks after launch, Joseph Anderson's 2 hour video essay was a little over a month after release.

If you don't think people were very quick to try turning discourse around on BOTW, you weren't there for it. So much did BOTW rub people the wrong way that the ripple effects of its perceived flaws bled into the discourse surrounding Elden Ring in 2022, and whether or not that game "vindicated" the criticisms people had of BOTW. But that's not just the Zelda cycle at this point, it's the 95+ Metacritic cycle.

SV and TOTK comparisons are flawed because one of them launched going into the holiday period, TOTK hasn't had a holiday period yet.
Not flawed. It just mean that Totk still have one holiday season to get a boost. Though I expect 3M at max as I don't see it getting a boost like Mario games due to the nature of the game and target demographics.

It is amsuing that people are using the sales to say Nintendo failed Zelda, you know when it sold more copies at launch in comparison to most other video game lifetime sales. Besides, even if it was actually the bomb some people are trying to make it out to be, it is still a masterful game that will probably help push Nintendo development team in other areas given how successfully the programed this game to do things most developers have shown their awe for.

You can tell someone is new to this community when they say that reception of BOTW has remained "mostly positive" since launch.

The Zelda Cycle is a meme because it's true. Every Zelda rules until it sucks, then it rules again in the future when new audiences discover it and wonder why it was ever besmirched in the first place. I think it's funny that the tenor of this thread suggests that TOTK is currently in the "sucking" phase when it is considered one of the favorites to win GOTY from most outlets.

Deservedly so, because it kicks the pants off of BOTW.

That's almost irrelevant to comparing the two games. But, if anything, that's a negative against TOTKs performance because traditionally Jan-Mar is the weakest part of the year and ScarVios second quarter still did better than TOTKs.
Don't have much knowledge about Pokemon sales but people always tell me their legs aren't strong. So it came out as a surprise Totk selling less than it. Personally I thought it was going to reach ~1.5M even aware of the overshipment.

TotK is gonna end up selling 25-30 M copies within 3 years and some folks here will still find ways of portraying that as a ā€œdisappointmentā€ because of their own problems with the game.
Real Square-Enix behavior. I expected better of the community.

TotK is gonna end up selling 25-30 M copies within 3 years and some folks here will still find ways of portraying that as a ā€œdisappointmentā€ because of their own problems with the game.
who are you referring to? I don't see anyone on this site saying selling 20m is a disappointment.

The framing of TOTK's "critical re-evaluation/honeymoon period is over" being this new thing for Zelda that visibly affects its reception and sales brings me back to a time when BOTW was such an unheard of critical firestorm that it felt like I'd commonly get into the most aggressive debates on the internet with people who were staunchly railing against convention flipping design choices like breakable weapons, non-traditional Zelda dungeons, Shrines, the dearth of bespoke design brought about by the open air formula, and more. Super Bunnyhop's critical review on the game dropped less than three weeks after launch, Joseph Anderson's 2 hour video essay was a little over a month after release.

If you don't think people were very quick to try turning discourse around on BOTW, you weren't there for it. So much did BOTW rub people the wrong way that the ripple effects of its perceived flaws bled into the discourse surrounding Elden Ring in 2022, and whether or not that game "vindicated" the criticisms people had of BOTW. But that's not just the Zelda cycle at this point, it's the 95+ Metacritic cycle.
So much this lol. BotW had the honeymoon allegations, nitpicked to hell and back in 2017. It wasnā€™t till it started sweeping GOTY that I truly believed in its strong longevity as one of the GOATs, despite the initial amazing reviews already saying it.

Tears is positively tame in comparison Iā€™d actually say.

I don't think anyone here is painting TOTK sales as disappointing, 20m is still an insane amount. I can't even deny it's a megahit.

my point is it's interesting to see how front loaded that was off of goodwill from BOTW and pre-release hype. I think if the next mainline Zelda is BOTW 3 (I.e. same formula) you're gonna see a large dropoff in sales, as people get tired of the formula and evaluate the flaws in TOTK. In the same way there was a dropoff from TP to SS.
exactly. i really don't understand how people are (purposefully??) misconstruing your/my/others argument(s) as legitimately bashing the game's sales - and still continuing to do so! it's just simply a different opinion and expectation of what will happen in the end based off of how we are interpreting the current data. nothin' more, nothin' less.

TotK only seems like a disappointment if you compare it to Scarvel imo. Scarvel were special games, we probably won't see something like that again anytime soon.

Don't have much knowledge about Pokemon sales but people always tell me their legs aren't strong. So it came out as a surprise Totk selling less than it. Personally I thought it was going to reach ~1.5M even aware of the overshipment.
The last two PokƩmon gens have had very good legs, especially Scar/Vio. Those games are acting like BOTW for PokƩmon in terms of evergreen .

You can tell someone is new to this community when they say that reception of BOTW has remained "mostly positive" since launch.
Is it not? Every popular and well received game has a vocal faction decrying it. this gets said a lot about about games like Mario Odyssey and BOTW and then when people run polls they crush the completion.

Is it not? Every popular and well received game has a vocal faction decrying it. this gets said a lot about about games like Mario Odyssey and BOTW and then when people run polls they crush the completion.
I think they meant if they thought BotWā€™s reception was all sunshine and rainbows and didnā€™t have a vocal minority compared to TotK, which BotW absolutely did.

Regardless, suggesting TotK is in the same boat as Skyward Sword in terms of ā€œreevaluatingā€ is utterly laughable considering you can still run a poll and TotK will handily beat BotW, and youā€™ll even have a bunch BotW voters go ā€œTears is probably better, but novelty/childlike wonder so BotW.ā€

The most common criticism youā€™ll see of TotK is that itā€™s too similar to its amazing predecessor, a far cry from the takedown of SS that occurred.

Brb, about to bring up how Elden Ring is a failure because some people think it has massive balancing problems, especially at the back half. (I am in this camp but it doesn't matter at all sales or legs wise)

Pokemon probably has good legs ... in the short term; if that makes any sense. Pokemon's longer term legs tend to not be great because there's always another pokemon game around the corner ready to gut the sales potential of the previous title. The same way that SwSh has dropped off because of ScarVio or basically any previous generation where the same happened.

I think we're burying the lede on Metroid Prime Remastered only selling 270k units since March.

270k more units in the second quarter (that post says it's 270k April through end June) is actually more than I'd have expected from it, honestly.

People on this forum lost sight of just how big an ask it was going to be for TOTK to to surpass BOTW's sales so we shouldn't be surprised that there's been a slowdown in sales. It's still a great number and it should keep on selling a million or so every quarter, but it's incredibly unlikely it'll catch its predecessor.

A good result for Pikmin 4, definitely places it in the Kirby/Metroid tier of Nintendo franchises now.
kirby is much bigger then metroid lol

What they said...

I think they meant if they thought BotWā€™s reception was all sunshine and rainbows and didnā€™t have a vocal minority compared to TotK, which BotW absolutely did.

Regardless, suggesting TotK is in the same boat as Skyward Sword in terms of ā€œreevaluatingā€ is utterly laughable considering you can still run a poll and TotK will handily beat BotW, and youā€™ll even have a bunch BotW voters go ā€œTears is probably better, but novelty/childlike wonder so BotW.ā€

The most common criticism youā€™ll see of TotK is that itā€™s too similar to its amazing predecessor, a far cry from the takedown of SS that occurred.
You can't have a thread about BOTW without someone mentioning the "objectively broken design", kvetching about the weapon degradation, whining about the OST not being to their liking, etc....

I mean, it's a small group for both games. But it is there!

TOTK's hype has really died down post-launch once people played the game and realized how similar it was to BOTW. Not surprised sales slow down as a result, most post-launch discourse has been critical.

It's not going to have the evergreen legs of BOTW. And if the next mainline Zelda follows in the formula, expect a large dropoff in sales.
Finished the game recently and absolutely loved it. Everyone I know loved it too. The negative online discourse is definitely from a vocal minority

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe could really break 60 million on its own huh.
It absolutely blows my mind how well it continues to sell. Over 1.5 million units sold in just the last quarter? That's utterly bananas. It's basically the Nintendo equivalent of GTA V: nearly a decade old yet is still selling exceptionally well.

There's always a detractors when a game deviates drastically like BOTW.

BOTW's reception wasn't purely 100% positive from literally everybody in existence obviously. But it was more positive than the general discourse I see around TOTK currently. TOTK feels like it had an explosion of hype and praise upon launch, only to cool down drastically in the following weeks/months as people digested it. I didn't see that type of reception around BOTW, it felt like people couldn't stop praising/talking about the game even months after it came out.

Last edited:

BOTW's reception wasn't purely 100% positive from literally everybody in existence obviously. But it was more positive than the general discourse I see around TOTK currently. TOTK feels like it had an explosion of hype and praise upon launch, only to cool down drastically in the following weeks/months as people digested it. I didn't see that type of reception around BOTW, it felt like people couldn't stop praising the game even months after it came out.
That's also my perception. As someone who dislikes both(when compared to other zelda) I feel like I was more in the minority when it was about BOTW than TOTK. TOTK feels more like old Zelda cycle, where people would jump at you if you criticized the game at the launch week but they would reflect better on it later.

Also this time, alongside to people that didn't like the new series direction, there are groups who likes the first but not the second.

That's also my perception. As someone who dislikes both(when compared to other zelda) I feel like I was more in the minority when it was about BOTW than TOTK. TOTK feels more like old Zelda cycle, where people would jump at you if you criticized the game at the launch week but they would reflect better on it later.

Also this time, alongside to people that didn't like the new series direction, there are groups who likes the first but not the second.
Sure, those people exist. But thereā€™s a bunch of people who do prefer TotK, even some who didnā€™t like BotW and did like TotK. TotK has won every poll against BotW on here and ERA, at least from what Iā€™ve seen. I donā€™t know where yā€™all are getting this.

I really just have to think yā€™all werenā€™t around in 2017. The BotW vocal minority was STRONG. I was on the front lines defending weapon durability, the OST and Divine Beasts lol. If Phantom Thief is still around on here theyā€™ll remember.

Agreed, personally, it felt like BOTW but worse to me. I didn't really like a lot of the new locations they added or the new abilities. Especially the depths, I hated the depths lol.

And yeah if the next Zelda is essentially BOTW 3 it will sell poorly by the series' standards. I know it would be the first Zelda game in a long time that I wouldn't buy.
Are these meant to be parody posts? It has sold nearly 20 million copies in the time it took BOTW to sell 5 and by all accounts the numbers for this quarter are dramatically higher than what has been shown due to excess stock at launch.

A lot of crow will be served in times future. This is on pace to become the infamous new Switch "betting time" thread.

Pokemon SV also gonna surpass RB in Japan later

Top 20 NSW Games ( japan)
  1. [NSW] Animal Crossing New Horizons - 10.94m (++230k)
  2. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet 7.64m (++290k)
  3. NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 7.62m (+250k)
  4. [NSW] Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 7.24m (++280k)
  5. [NSW] Splatoon 3 - 6.54m (N/A)
  6. [NSW] PokƩmon Sword/Shield - 6.03m (N/A)
  7. [NSW] Splatoon 2 - 5.26m
  8. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise - 4.50m *** (Estimate)
  9. [NSW] Minecraft - 4.50m *** (Estimate)
  10. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure - 4.09m
  11. [NSW] Momotaro - 4.00m
  12. [NSW] Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl - 3.87m
  13. [NSW] Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 3.79m (++260k)
  14. [NSW] Pokemon Legends Arceus - 3.64m
  15. [NSW] Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 3.51m (+250k)
  16. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey - 3.19m (++120k)
  17. [NSW] Super Mario Party - 2.91m
  18. [NSW] Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee 2.20m
  19. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 - 2.00m
  20. [NSW] Mario Party: Superstars - 1.95m (++180k)
It certainly has a shot, yeah.

What's RGB's latest Japanese figure?

BOTW's reception wasn't purely 100% positive from literally everybody in existence obviously. But it was more positive than the general discourse I see around TOTK currently. TOTK feels like it had an explosion of hype and praise upon launch, only to cool down drastically in the following weeks/months as people digested it. I didn't see that type of reception around BOTW, it felt like people couldn't stop praising/talking about the game even months after it came out.
I really donā€™t know about this at all. As someone who was actively part of that discourse BotW discussion got very heated for a while post release. Weā€™re even at the same ā€˜the honeymoon period is overā€™ point that people unironically believed for BotW. Iā€™d be careful conflating anecdotal evidence from our own bubbles for what the actual reception is. If you did a favourite Zelda poll now here or on Era TotK might not win, but Iā€™m pretty sure it would be overwhelmingly be top 2 with BotW.

Edit: What Phendrift said above, basically.

Last edited:

To raise the volume further, that group has also been somewhat antagonised by the belittling of said first with calls of "obsolete" "tech demo" "worthless". So it's not just being grumpy they didn't get to join the party, it's defending their own party.

We knew the game had a huge shipment in its first quarter and had over 2.5M of extra stock to go through. With that in mind, the low increase into the second quarter is expected and, crucially, has nothing to do with its reception one way or another.

I think it's cool that a lot of people are taking a closer interest in Nintendo sales either here or on Twitter but the last thing to do is to project our own biases into numbers we don't understand. Twitter threads doing a post mortem on TotK lasting impact after seeing the numbers is funny but hopefully we can analyze things a bit more seriously in here.

(Honestly surprised Joe participated in it given that following PokƩmon sales he should know perfectly well the impact of a huge initial shipment on following quarters).

To raise the volume further, that group has also been somewhat antagonised by the belittling of said first with calls of "obsolete" "tech demo" "worthless". So it's not just being grumpy they didn't get to join the party, it's defending their own party.
There is literally nothing to defend. It's sold 2/3rds of BOTW's nigh 7 years worth of sales in 5 months lmao This quarters result has been skewed due to excess stock.

I would say by next quarter the BOTW 'party' is already going to start to be sweating around the collar.

Sure, those people exist. But thereā€™s a bunch of people who do prefer TotK, even some who didnā€™t like BotW and did like TotK. TotK has won every poll against BotW on here and ERA, at least from what Iā€™ve seen. I donā€™t know where yā€™all are getting this.

I really just have to think yā€™all werenā€™t around in 2017. The BotW vocal minority was STRONG. I was on the front lines defending weapon durability, the OST and Divine Beasts lol. If Phantom Thief is still around on here theyā€™ll remember.
There's probably a post of mine on each of those threads...XD
Though I felt more like a contrarian there and now I feel more like a mainstream opinion.
But yep, I was surprised when I noticed about the group that likes Totk but wasn't fan of Botw. And they were relevant.

Marioā€™s its own ecosystem now. The Movie pushed consumers into the brand and will play every game plastered Mario into it.

The Movie has solidified the Evergreen

And this is precisely how Nintendo will manage movies and series: to solidify their software. Donā€™t think about cinematic universes or crossovers. Nintendo will use media the same way Gamefreak has used rhe Pokemon anime
will sales of Legend of Zelda/Metroid games increase substancialy, if theres a tv series/movie for this franchises,

I donā€™t even like to view it as ā€œteamsā€ to be honest.

I fucking love BotW, itā€™s still a top 10 of all time for me. It was a game thatā€™s core was so good that it deserved to be as fully realized as TOTK was able to. I canā€™t think of a game that deserved an iterative and expansive sequel as much as BotW did.

Iā€™d never call BotW worthless or a tech demo, but I would say Tears personally makes it obsolete to me in more ways than one. Thatā€™s not a knock on BotW, but quite the opposite - it brings me so much happiness to see itā€™s potential fully realized. Like the completion of an arc that Iā€™ve been waiting 6 years for. I view it as doing justice to its predecessor, and a well deserved victory lap.

The "Discourse" about TOTK is just as positive as it was about BOTW; there's always going to be nagging voices when you sell 20m complaining about weapon degradation for example from BOTW, but the saner people are all only talking about how TOTK is literally one of the two games actually in the running for best game of the year in one of the most stacked years in memory.

Ah, I see we're doing the BOTW honeymoon period thing all over again then.
Tears of the Kingdom was made in a way, that make it harder to create theories about the game, one of the reasons Breath of the Wild was so successful, was theres still today people make videos speculation/theorizing aspects of the game, i saw very few videos in regards to Tears of the Kingdom, also lack of expansion pass/DLC, lead to less hype for the game

Tears of the Kingdom was made in a way, that make it harder to create theories about the game, one of the reasons Breath of the Wild was so successful, was theres still today people make videos speculation/theorizing aspects of the game, i saw very few videos in regards to Tears of the Kingdom, also lack of expansion pass/DLC, lead to less hype for the game

...I don't think YouTube theorists are a key demographic.

In any case, the games been all over social media constantly, so I'm not sure where you've been looking.

I do agree that lacking a season pass/significant updates would have a resulting less discussion, if they really stick with that.

mfers somehow calling 19 million copies sold before the holiday a flop

Surprised to see some people down on the Pikmin number. I can see how the Japanese sales skewed the perspective a bit, but isn't it already the highest selling Pikmin game after just 2 months?
No, you see, pikmin 4 was taken off the market after exactly 2 months.

Therefor itā€™s only a large improvement over the other games, not a 10mil seller in 6 weeks.

We wonā€™t get a game in 20 years.

Pikdead

/j

Pikmin is likely bigger than many other very above nitnendo ipā€™s now and certainly in their internal top 10, itā€™s future is safe and itā€™s far from done selling, some people are really reactionary.

Back
Top Bottom