• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Updated sales numbers for Switch titles: Pikmin 4 (2.61M), Tears of the Kingdom (19.50M), and more

mazi

picross pundit

updated sales numbers as of September 30, 2023 (+sales in the last quarter):
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 57.01M (+1.55M)
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 43.38M (+590K)
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 32.44M (+670K)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 31.15M (+500K)
  • Super Mario Odyssey - 26.95M (+510K)
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield - 26.02M (+100K)
  • Pokémon Scarlet and Violet - 23.23M (+570K)
  • Super Mario Party - 19.66M (+270K)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 19.50M (+990K)
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 16.70M (+530K)
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury - 12.58M (+1.2M since March 2023)
  • Mario Party Superstars - 11.44M (+1.27M since March 2023)
  • Nintendo Switch Sports - 10.77M (+1.17M since March 2023)
  • Pikmin 4 - 2.61M

Last edited:
Main Series Pokémon sales

F-T76soXcAASNTO

To compare with SWSH in the equivalent time: SWSH was at 19.02m units. From previous quarter, SWSH increased 800k compared to 600k here so SV is a little down, but don't forget the context of 2020. To compare with Gen 7 SM had an increased of 240k in the same period of 2017 going from 15.67 to 15.91m

Tears didn’t have as big of a jump as I thought, but with the launch sales as astronomical as they were, I think it’ll be hard to establish a baseline of what “good legs” will look like for it.

Like, even knowing BotW’s success I don’t think anyone predicted how big Tears’ launch would be. It’s kinda thrown everything out of whack for me.

Regardless, I’m curious how the holiday will treat it. That should tell us more.

We don't embed spreadsheets anymore for whatever reason so you're all gonna need to click this time; not as convenient I know, but I believe in you!

Kind of surprised by that TotK slow down. Not that it's terrible. Shit already sold 20 million basically.

Also really happy Pikmin 4 is doing so well.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe being the second-best-selling Nintendo game for the first half of Nintendo's current fiscal year, only behind TOTK, is the most remarkable bit of news to me. It released in April 2017 and managed to sell 3 million more copies. I suppose there wasn't a ton of stiff competition April-September (sorry, Pikmin 4), but it's still a remarkable achievement to me that it outsold all the big hitters from the past couple years.

Looking over their top sellers in the first half of FY24, I wonder how Nintendo feels about this list.

Tears isn’t coming close to 30m, at least not without something related to their next console. That’s a steep drop.

I'm a little surprised TOTK didn't cross 20 million, but I think it's clear at this point it won't pass BOTW. Obviously still a great result though, same with P4.

Loving the 3D World bump.

I think in terms of sequels we shoudn't really expect direct sequels to outperform it's predecessor unless it's massively more well received and well..TOTK and BOTW basically have nearly the same score lol. You can't really get more well received than either of them

TotK slowed down significantly, didn’t it? I mean I’m not surprised, it seems like a game that was going to be frontloaded by everyone that would want it would buy it close to launch, with word of mouth only going so far.

If the rumor is true that something Zelda is coming at the end of the year, I wonder if it’s going to be used to get Zelda in the public consciousness again before Christmas, kinda like what the DLC drop did for BOTW at the end of 2017. Not much longer to find out if there’s any truth to it.

TOTK is kinda handicapped for being a sequel with the same graphics on the same console. Nintendo really should have took the advice they gave to Ubisoft. Although, I wouldn’t bet on it not outselling BOTW, but it will probably need the new Switch version to do so.

TOTK is kinda handicapped for being a sequel with the same graphics on the same console. Nintendo really should have took the advice they gave to Ubisoft. Although, I wouldn’t bet on it not outselling BOTW, but it will need a Switch 2 version to do so.
...we need to put in this in perspective

most games would kill to get TOTK sales. It's launch sales are things literally only Rockstar games and Pokemon can rival

TOTK is kinda handicapped for being a sequel with the same graphics on the same console. Nintendo really should have took the advice they gave to Ubisoft. Although, I wouldn’t bet on it not outselling BOTW, but it will need the new Switch version to do so.

$70 price point hurt it. Would've sold about 40 million if it wasn't given a greedy AAA price point.

Tears didn’t have as big of a jump as I thought, but with the launch sales as astronomical as they were, I think it’ll be hard to establish a baseline of what “good legs” will look like for it.

Like, even knowing BotW’s success I don’t think anyone predicted how big Tears’ launch would be. It’s kinda thrown everything out of whack for me.

Regardless, I’m curious how the holiday will treat it. That should tell us more.
This is where I'm at. Yes, it's had a drop off. But it's launch was so huge, how could it not? We'll see the pace it settles into. It hasn't even had it's first holiday season yet.

TOTK slowed down quite a bit.
TotK is one of those games whose sales were gonna be front loaded. It'll definitely pop back up around Christmas, but really most people that cared about Zelda like at all got it asap. Makes me wonder if it'll pass BotW's sales but it's too early to call with just 5~ months of data. If they remaster/patch TotK for next gen tho... Easy bajillion copies sold.

Worth nothing about Tears of the Kingdom's steep drop - when it was announced it sold 18.5 million, that was shipped, and it's sell-through was reported at something like 15 to 15.5 million. That means there were 3.5 million copies on the shelf at the end of that reported quarter. So this doesn't necessarily mean people stopped by Tears in its second quarter, it means there wasn't many new shipments / digital sales.

Pikmin 4 almost exactly on track with Metroid Dread (2.61 mil in 71 days vs 2.74 mil in 84 days)

Surprised that TotK didn't sell more, but it already sold a massive amount, so. Wonder how it'll do with the winter holidays coming up.

God I hope the next Mario Party has more content, maybe it can pass the 25m mark. Imagine even a sliver of the fraction of the support Mario kart got.

TOTK's development was heavily impacted by COVID-19, and its release in 2023 clearly was not their initial plan. I'd say if it had launched in some time period before like 2021, then it would have had better legs because of the better player engagement.

TOTK sales don't really surprise me considering the situation surrounding its release. BOTW had 6 years to get 30 million people into the new style of Zelda and TOTK got the majority of them to jump in the first week, which is still mind-blowing but I think that also means you won't see legs that reflect that explosive initial growth as a result. Still think its gonna do well this holiday and clearing 20 million minimum within 12 months of launch is crazy and should not be taken for granted as a success.

Pikmin's numbers are great though I can see why Japan's growth in particular might have been a misnomer for what it was doing worldwide. Something happened with Pikmin on Switch that made it blow up in Japan and that did not reflect to the same extent globally but growth is growth and the game still set it's franchise record in a single quarter.

The overall software number being up for the system is great because it shows an engaged audience late in the lifespan of the Switch and that for every new major title Nintendo adds to Switch it is not taking sales from something else, its just adding onto its already long list of evergreens and franchise records. Something worth celebrating even 7 years in.

While the Sales Numbers of TOTK are because of the huge Install Base very front loaded (Any major 3D Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing or Pokémon Release would do 20 Million copies in a Year on Switch right now), I believe that Nintendo intentionally didn‘t market TOTK that much this year. Their focus shifted soon after the game released and more importantly: They didn‘t announce any DLC or Season Pass.

I could be wrong with this, but it is maybe a hint that they actually will do an upgraded Switch 2 version of TOTK (with whatever the key-features of that console will be) and a bigger DLC. They can do much more money by having the game as at least an 10 Million Seller on a second platform (and give as a secondary effect that platform an additional USP), than milking it to "just" sell a few more million copies on Switch.

I can‘t imagine that they are already done with Zelda and to have an upgraded version of the game at launch of their next console, including a new Story (releasing also on both platforms), would make the perfect point of comparison of features and power to current Switch.

Mind you I don‘t think that the numbers are that bad and it is not unlikely that the game can sell another 4-5 Million this FY, but if Nintendo wanted, they could do things to sell more right now. Like having an DLC (even if it is just a difficulty mode update and some other tweaks) or a cheap bundle for the Holiday Season.

December on the other hand looks kinda empty. I know that they seemingly don’t do much at the Game Awards anymore, but I can also see them doing a shadow drop of such an DLC to give the game a Christmas Sale Boost.

Last edited:
Highest sales in the series for Pikmin is good bit I was hoping for 3m. Seems like it remains a Nintendo franchise that's a lot more popular in Japan than elsewhere - as long as we keep getting them I don't mind though
its already the best selling game in the series, not every game is going to get some astronomical switch boost
Arguably Pikmin already saw the Switch boost with 3 Deluxe - 2.4m compared to 1.28 m for the original version, and the previous series high of 1.6m for the first game on GC.

Totk was overshipped in the first quarter, the had a sell trough of 15mil so it just balanced out in this quarter, the real legs will be with this first holiday quarter.
Pikmin4 already the best selling pikmin game like expected (still don’t understand how people thought it wouldn’t outsell pikmin 3 deluxe) and with the holiday season on the horizon it will easily go past 3 milion and it’s en route for 4mil, we’re getting pikmin 5

While the Sales Numbers of TOTK are because of the huge Install Base very front loaded (Any major 3D Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing or Pokémon Release would do 20 Million copies in a Month on Switch right now), I believe that Nintendo intentionally didn‘t market TOTK that much this year. Their focus shifted soon after the game released and more importantly: They didn‘t announce any DLC or Season Pass.

I could be wrong with this, but it is maybe a hint that they actually will do an upgraded Switch 2 version of TOTK (with whatever the key-features of that console will be) and a bigger DLC. They can do much more money by having the game as at least an 10 Million Seller on a second platform (and give as a secondary effect that platform an additional USP), than milking it to "just" sell a few more million copies on Switch.

I can‘t imagine that they are already done with Zelda and to have an upgraded version of the game at launch of their next console, including a new Story (releasing also on both platforms), would make the perfect point of comparison of features and power to current Switch.

Mind you I don‘t think that the numbers are that bad and it is not unlikely that the game can sell another 4-5 Million this FY, but if Nintendo wanted, they could do things to sell more right now. Like having an DLC (even if it is just a difficulty mode update and some other tweaks) or a cheap bundle for the Holiday Season.

December on the other hand looks kinda empty. I know that they seemingly don’t do much at the Game Awards anymore, but I can also see them doing a shadow drop of such an DLC to give the game a Christmas Sale Boost.
I don’t think Aonuma was lying about being done with BotW/TotK Hyrule, so the question of new content to TotK becomes much more interesting.

Zelda is the biggest mystery for the Switch 2 launch year right now. It’s such an important IP to Nintendo now that they’ve got to have something, but the release times don’t line up well to make it easily predictable. Like how with Mario we’re all pretty much on the 3D Mario train because… it’s time, and it’s been time for a while.

There’s multiple ways they could take it, TotK performance-boosted seems like a given but I feel like they’d want even more. I think they’re done with this Hyrule for real, so maybe a separate, smaller, Bowser’s Fury-like side game that takes place in a different area and throws some experimental new mechanics in?

They could also go in the direction of a Demon’s Souls PS5-esque remake for one of the classic 3D Zeldas that’s not as demanding on the game side as the open air games, but really pushes visuals/performance as kind of a showcase for the new hardware.

tears of the kingdom has had a ton of discounts since it’s launch. I constantly see it at 50 in many places. Cause of that I thought it was over shipped and wouldn’t grow so much this update.

Tho it really doesn’t matter. 20 million seller. I think Nintendo is happier then they expected lol

TotK only sold that low because it didn't release on Wii U like BotW. They really missed out on a big market by skipping that.
giphy.gif

Totk was overshipped in the first quarter, the had a sell trough of 15mil so it just balanced out in this quarter, the real legs will be with this first holiday quarter.
Pikmin4 already the best selling pikmin game like expected (still don’t understand how people thought it wouldn’t outsell pikmin 3 deluxe) and with the holiday season on the horizon it will easily go past 3 milion and it’s en route for 4mil, we’re getting pikmin 5
TOTK is not going to stop selling ever.

Looking forward to all the crow it will serve.

Back
Back
Top Bottom