• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic TUNIC |ST| 🦊 🗡️🛡️ | Manual Transmission | Please Tag Spoilers! |

Welp. Thought I'd have to save up for this game and miss out at launch, but now that it's coming to Game Pass, I'm downloading it now! :D
Yay!!!

86 on OpenCritic with 38 reviews. Wow at that 9.8 from Game Informer. Nice!

I'm still watching the ID showcase - do the reviews make mention of length?
Haven't read yet in reviews but I heard in a couple posts 8-12+ hours for the main game and 20ish for completionist.

Nice reviews and on gamepass, I will pick it up after elden ring (so probably in a month 😅)

I was going to make Guardians of the Galaxy my next Gamepass game, but I guess I'll play Tunic.

God, another game I have to play?! We're being spoiled the last few weeks with more to come in the next couple.

I thought the demo had unbearably slow traversal and combat, but with Tunic being on GamePass, I’ll give it a proper try.

I liked the look of this but hearing about it's difficulty today has put me off. I struggled and quit Deaths Door about half way through

Delighted for the dev though, and it sounds like most folk interested are in for a good time

Why is it not on gamepass for me? Its tunic right? I am searching for it but nothing pops up.
I had to search it on the Microsoft store. The page there lets you download for free if you have GP. 👍 Must be in the middle of updating the Game Pass library

I like the old school manual stuff but the game itself doesn't look worth the hard drive space. Been sick of these types of games for years

I liked the look of this but hearing about it's difficulty today has put me off. I struggled and quit Deaths Door about half way through

Delighted for the dev though, and it sounds like most folk interested are in for a good time
One kinda nice thing with this one is the difficulty modifier.

I have been looking forward to this game for what feels like an eternity and now that it’s here I can’t imagine stopping Elden Ring to try it.

But these reviews sound fantastic, so I’ll let it taunt me from my dashboard while I finish up my other journey.

Ok yay I got to spend about an hour and a half playing! I really enjoyed my time with it. I had played the demo so I pretty much knew what it would be like. The game let me zag where I originally zigged in the demo last summer, so we've spent most of our time so far in unknown areas. I think we've basically circled back to the demo area at this point so that's probably up next.

Presentation: serious 2D Zelda feeling of getting to explore an environment with lots of intriguing nooks and crannies. I really enjoy getting to check out areas that feel like later game locations or just way off the beaten path. When we were playing just now we found a hidden path within a hidden room within a hidden detour. That's like catnip for me.

Collecting
the manual pages
is such a satisfying mechanic because of the tangible payoff.

Controls: smooth with a little bit of crunch around the corners, much like the almond butter-filled pretzel bites I snacked on.

Music: lush, chill vibes from the OST. Pretty noticable ASMR as I felt the hairs on my leg stand up a bit with a pleasant tingly sensation.

As a side note, this is the first game I've played on the Series S so I just have to say how blown away I am that is so tiny. Like, I'd read about how small it is. But it is so absurdly small. I love that.

I really disliked the combat in the original demo. It felt both floaty and hard to read, at least when it came to the big skeleton enemy I encountered. I was already kind of bored at that stage and quit after dying a couple times.

Is the final product much like the demo?

I may still give it a try as I’ve got GamePass (was it always planned for GamePass?). I’m still picking at Elden Ring tho so not in much of a hurry.

Reviewers who don’t mention that the developers set up a private discord to provide help with the game’s puzzles and mechanics are super sus. Polygon’s review goes into this (although the reviewer claims they would have figured everything out on their own eventually).

Reviewers who don’t mention that the developers set up a private discord to provide help with the game’s puzzles and mechanics are super sus. Polygon’s review goes into this (although the reviewer claims they would have figured everything out on their own eventually).
That's wild. I've never heard of that. I kinda steered clear of reviews apart from blurbs to avoid spoilers. What did you think about it? Artificial experience for the reviewers? Or reasonable assistance that they failed to mention? 🙂

Quoted by: em
That's wild. I've never heard of that. I kinda steered clear of reviews apart from blurbs to avoid spoilers. What did you think about it? Artificial experience for the reviewers? Or reasonable assistance that they failed to mention? 🙂
I think it’s just reasonable assistance that some reviewers failed to mention.

But when one reviewer is saying they saw tons of people posting about being stuck on the discord, and a few reviewers are saying that they enjoyed the community aspect of the discovery process, the reviews that don’t disclose the assist while discussing the difficulty of discovery seem less trustworthy.

I think it’s just reasonable assistance that some reviewers failed to mention.

But when one reviewer is saying they saw tons of people posting about being stuck on the discord, and a few reviewers are saying that they enjoyed the community aspect of the discovery process, the reviews that don’t disclose the assist while discussing the difficulty of discovery seem less trustworthy.
I see what you mean, for sure. Thinking on it, it's not dissimilar from how non-reviewers will experience the game if they seek online assistance. But yeah it's odd that some didn't mention that.

If it has widescreen support, I'll be very tempted to get it and play it tonight lol

If it has widescreen support, I'll be very tempted to get it and play it tonight lol
From a thread online about the demo, it looks like widescreen isn't supported, or at least it wasn't at that time, and someone mentioned that the lack of widescreen meant they couldn't see part of the HUD. But I think that can probably be worked around. Regardless I think I read in an interview that the game intentionally doesn't offer widescreen because the camera curates exactly how much of the surroundings you see. It makes sense when you play it because seeing too much would spoil puzzles and hidden areas.

From a thread online about the demo, it looks like widescreen isn't supported, or at least it wasn't at that time, and someone mentioned that the lack of widescreen meant they couldn't see part of the HUD. But I think that can probably be worked around. Regardless I think I read in an interview that the game intentionally doesn't offer widescreen because the camera curates exactly how much of the surroundings you see. It makes sense when you play it because seeing too much would spoil puzzles and hidden areas.

Yeah I actually ended up getting it and it's kinda meh that I have to play with 2 giant black bars lol. I wish they could offer widescreen, even if it meant playing with a decorated border, but at least I could see the whole manual zoomed in :D

Everything I'm hearing about this being a very hands off experience that you need to intuit has bumped it right up my list. I was already in because cute, but all this stuff sounds great. Also the manual thing really gets the good stuff going in my brain for some reason.

Yeah I actually ended up getting it and it's kinda meh that I have to play with 2 giant black bars lol. I wish they could offer widescreen, even if it meant playing with a decorated border, but at least I could see the whole manual zoomed in :D

Aw sorry about the black bars, I know that's a PITA. Agreed on the decorated border idea. Maybe they'll patch it in.

Everything I'm hearing about this being a very hands off experience that you need to intuit has bumped it right up my list. I was already in because cute, but all this stuff sounds great. Also the manual thing really gets the good stuff going in my brain for some reason.

The intuiting has been really enjoyable so far. In at least one of the interviews I read, the dev talked about how they came up with the idea to use a fictitious language in the game and manual to replicate the experience of playing a game as a child before you can read your native language well, or trying a game out in a foreign language, and the comfy struggle of parsing your way through that to enjoy the game. In my time with the game so far, I've really found they've captured that experience well.

So far the intuiting feels like a harder Link's Awakening Remake with few instructions and clever isometric trickery. I mean that in a good way, lol.

The intuiting has been really enjoyable so far. In at least one of the interviews I read, the dev talked about how they came up with the idea to use a fictitious language in the game and manual to replicate the experience of playing a game as a child before you can read your native language well, or trying a game out in a foreign language, and the comfy struggle of parsing your way through that to enjoy the game. In my time with the game so far, I've really found they've captured that experience well.

So far the intuiting feels like a harder Link's Awakening Remake with few instructions and clever isometric trickery. I mean that in a good way, lol.
I agree, it's not super hard but it's engaging, and the manual does a good job at showing you what's to come and keeping the interest up, and explaining stuff you found that is unclear.

I thought this game came out long ago lol.

Notice it’s on gamepass. I got something to play this weekend. Could use some Zelda like

I just figured out how to level up the stats. Cheeky bastard :D

I was going to playing Tunic off til tomorrow, but I put in an hour or so tonight (rang the first bell). I still don’t particularly like how slow movement is in the game and how difficult it is to see pathways/changes in elevation (I guess I’ll have to move closer to the screen), but otherwise Tunic seems alright so far. Zelda-likes/lites are so rare that I can overlook some drawbacks.

I was going to playing Tunic off til tomorrow, but I put in an hour or so tonight (rang the first bell). I still don’t particularly like how slow movement is in the game and how difficult it is to see pathways/changes in elevation (I guess I’ll have to move closer to the screen), but otherwise Tunic seems alright so far. Zelda-likes/lites are so rare that I can overlook some drawbacks.
I feel you, some of the areas are super zoomed out. I'd like manual camera control. But yeah I'm always excited about Zelda-likes. This game is giving me some Elliot Quest vibes in particular.

Played far enough to ring the first 'bell'. I love it, it's delightful.

I really love the manual. It captures the charm of the best NES manuals so well.

Played far enough to ring the first 'bell'. I love it, it's delightful.

I really love the manual. It captures the charm of the best NES manuals so well.
That's about as far as we've gotten so far, too! Looking forward to playing more on my lunch break today.

Dived into it last night but I was super tired and didn't make it very far. Enjoyed what I played!

Its great, between this and elden ring, im really digging games that encourage you to explore rather then telling you where to go. While i dont think it works for every game, like, I would not enjoy that in horizon forbidden west for example, it works for games like tunic and elden ring

Back
Top Bottom