• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News this year's Warframe expansion is the retro inspired "Warframe 1999" (or, it's time for Digital Extremes to re-release Dark Sector)

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

i haven't really been catching up with Warframe at all (the last time i even played it was back when it launched on PS4) but hearing that the developers are openly stating it's based off it's precursor Dark Sector piqued my interest.
But when I ask why Ford chose this ’90s aesthetic, she tells me a lot of it comes from rosy childhood memories.

“I was a wee lass then,” she says, a nod to my Scottish heritage. “I was nine years old in 1999. It’s my favorite era of my life because I had no responsibilities! But, inspiration-wise, I really wanted to re-re-do the Dark Sector that was made – or not made!”
for those unaware of the direct connection between the two games. it was originally revealed in 2000 as a sci-fi shooter with a focus on multiplayer.
Dark Sector is the next step in the first person action gaming experience by blending the intense action elements of Unreal: Tournament with the scope and character evolution of a persistent online universe.Dark Sector is set in the wake of world devastation, where survivors are scattered throughout the solar system in a vast crumbling network of outposts and space stations. Anarchy reigns as violent factions wage war over limited resources. The remnants of world government have sanctioned bounty hunting in a desperate attempt to control the growing chaos.

it shuffled into a fully single-player adventure by 2004, and the trailer the developers provided contains plenty of elements that would later go on to be used in Warframe.

however, despite the promising showing (it was being pitched as one of the first proper "next-gen" games designed for the then upcoming and unnamed 360/PS3) publishers of the time had zero interest in making a Sci-Fi game. and the "Dark Sector" that eventually released in 2008 shifted over to a more modernish military setting, mostly.
0000007794.jpg

while the setting was shifted over to earth. elements of the Sci-Fi pitch still appear in the final game. most relevant being the inclusion of a futuristic suit of armor the game's protagonist, Hayden Tenno, acquires midway through the story.
0000007792.jpg

the resemblence to the armor featured in the 2004 trailer is notable, and it would only become more relevant in the future.

as it turns out, Digital Extremes was still actively interested in pursuing their Sci-Fi concept. and when they noticed the industry was gradually moving with the idea of producing Free to Play games. they had the idea of self-publishing it themselves using that format, and a very popular game was born.
the original armor design that made it's way into Dark Sector would go on to be slightly redesigned as one of the default Warframe options, under the name "Excalibur". (while a design closer to the original exists as the Proto-Armor skin)

so is this expansion the end-all moment that officially soldifies the two games as taking place in the same universe? i'm not fully aware of both game's lore, but it seems rather mixed. i was able to find an interview where the developers openly stated Dark Sector isn't "canon" to Warframe. but this was all the way back in 2014. at the very least they are explicit in stating it's based off the earlier game, seemingly a mix of the modern setting from Dark Sector 2008 with more of the Sci-Fi elements Warframe and the original Dark Sector pitch have.

but that's not really why this thread was made, no. i'm here to discuss the currently lacking state playing Dark Sector nowadays is in.

so the game is on Steam and has been since 2009, problem solved. right?

well, no. the port was extremely barebones even back when it first came out, but it's only gotten worse over time.
no online multiplayer, no proper support for widescreen resolutions without hacking, and it uses an ancient version of PhysX you have to manually install to even get the game to run (this was before Nvidia bought the company, and when PC makers were considering components solely designed for physics calculations. but that's a story for another day.)
more concerningly, the publisher. a branch of the Russian company "Новый Диск". went bankrupt around 2015, leaving the listing to exist in a state of purgatory. never updated or acknowledged in any form.

the console versions fair better despite currently lacking a digital release. being handled by the Japanese D3 Publisher, who still naturally exist today and are actively releasing things.
though it's worth noting the publishers aren't really an issue here, despite it being a common misconception currently.
evidence has shown Digital Extremes always fully owned the Dark Sector IP since it's initial release, including the game's official site and disk label.
Dark Sector © 2006 Digital Extremes, London, Canada. Dark Sector and the Dark Sector logo are trademarks of Digital Extremes. Digital Extremes and the Digital Extremes logo are trademarks of 108552 Ontario Ltd. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Published by D3 Inc. under license from Digital Extremes.
even the simplest (and most likely unfortnately, i doubt they want to a full remaster.) scenario of making it backwards compatible on Xbox One won't require much wrangling at D3, as devs have gotten away with self-publishing backwards compatible titles that were originally done by larger publishers before. (both Unreal Championship 2 and Munch's Odyssey, initally published by Midway and Infogrames respectively. went through this. even keeping their Mortal Kombat content and original logo videos without issue.)

the matter is of particular importance considering one of their other major works, co-development on the original Unreal Tournament and 2003. recently vanished off digital stores a while back.

Man Warframe still feels like a minor miracle on the Switch. Remember booting it up shortly after launch and being blown away with how good it looked and complete it was/is.

I'm only tangentially aware of Dark Sector due to the early HD-era hype, but the thing with Digital Extremes now is that they seem to have no bandwidth for anything outside of the "-Frame" games, esp with Soulframe incoming and Warframe apparently still super-healthy?

Man Warframe still feels like a minor miracle on the Switch. Remember booting it up shortly after launch and being blown away with how good it looked and complete it was/is.

I'm only tangentially aware of Dark Sector due to the early HD-era hype, but the thing with Digital Extremes now is that they seem to have no bandwidth for anything outside of the "-Frame" games, esp with Soulframe incoming and Warframe apparently still super-healthy?
One of the best looking games on the console that no one mentions. Blows away a lot of other games.

This reminds me I've been meaning to get back into the Switch version. I was playing with a friend. Didn't get far but enjoyed what I've played so far.

Quoted by: SiG
This reminds me I've been meaning to get back into the Switch version. I was playing with a friend. Didn't get far but enjoyed what I've played so far.
So much has been added since I've last played. The amount of content they've released for this game is simply staggering.

Interesting. I remember seeing the first trailers for dark sector on g4 and getting super hyped. The visuals were beyond anything we had seen on the ps2 or xbox. Probably the first “next gen” trailer I remember seeing for that time. Of course the final game had little resemblance to those first showings when it came out in 2007, but i still enjoyed it for what it was. I rented it from block buster and beat it over a weekend. The glave was a cool ass weapon, especially when you unlocked the ability to control it mid air and you could just slice two dudes in a row in half

getting closer, they’re planning to do a full reveal of the expansion at the annual “TennoCon” event.

I love the music used in the trailer (no, I’m not talking about the Nine Inch Nails track Into the Void used in the 1999 teaser section of Whspers in the Walls).

getting closer, they’re planning to do a full reveal of the expansion at the annual “TennoCon” event.

....that thing on Aoi's arm looks like a Parazon. I guess the Protoframes would have one so DE doesn't have to create unique finishers since the technocyte is biological and technological at the same time?

Anyway her design's absolutely fire, Mag mains won. Now let's see Volt and Loki.

Last edited:
I've never played Dark Sector, but comparing the 2 games from images I can see the comparison. I'm really impressed Warframe has been ongoing for so long. And they are planning to release their Fantasy game as well.

Yeah, same. I was really impressed with how it looked and ran when I used to play it at the time. I had spent over 70 hours on the game in a short amount of time, and there was a lot of content.

I only dropped it because it's so grindy. I might get back when they release their big update which was supposed to streamline lots of stuff for newer players (probably already released).

I only dropped it because it's so grindy. I might get back when they release their big update which was supposed to streamline lots of stuff for newer players (probably already released).
Smoothing out the early game is an ongoing thing. The update you're thinking about already happened, and involved lowering the prerequisites to advance through the star chart, plus a bunch of quest prereqs, and making certain open world quests easier.

Now's actually a great time to jump into Warframe or back into Warframe, it's the 11th anniversary and they're giving away free stuff for the next ten or so weeks. And I think the 1 credit color palette is still available for a few hours.

Smoothing out the early game is an ongoing thing. The update you're thinking about already happened, and involved lowering the prerequisites to advance through the star chart, plus a bunch of quest prereqs, and making certain open world quests easier.

Now's actually a great time to jump into Warframe or back into Warframe, it's the 11th anniversary and they're giving away free stuff for the next ten or so weeks. And I think the 1 credit color palette is still available for a few hours.
Thanks! I might reinstall it later today then.

Huh, I might have to see for myself how Warframe runs on the Switch. I play on PS5, but I do have a cross-save account.

Interested to see what they do with 1999. I've no nostalgia for DarkSector (never played it or even really heard of it beyond it being the inspiration for Warframe), but they've already laid the groundwork for 1999 in Warframe (the Whispers in the Wall storyline) and if it's a revisiting of the original concept, that's fine by me.

Huh, I might have to see for myself how Warframe runs on the Switch. I play on PS5, but I do have a cross-save account.
It's the worst performing and looking version of Warframe by a mile.

....but it's still Warframe so it's SUPER pretty and runs well for the 11 year old game that it is.

Interested to see what they do with 1999. I've no nostalgia for DarkSector (never played it or even really heard of it beyond it being the inspiration for Warframe), but they've already laid the groundwork for 1999 in Warframe (the Whispers in the Wall storyline) and if it's a revisiting of the original concept, that's fine by me.

The DarkSector that we got was a modern shooter set in an Eastern European state where you fought the Infested with a glaive + Samus's elemental beams. It even had its own version of the Stalker, though that one looked like an unholy fusion of Nyx and Chroma.

The DarkSector that they pitched originally was straight up Warframe. That's Excal, the Grineer, a Liset, a Jackal, the Zariman and even a girl acting as your Lotus.

1999 is kind of a redo of the "DarkSector we actually got" idea, after DE had already made the "DarkSector they actually wanted to make".

Warframe ran pretty smoothly on Switch (after a bunch of post-launch updates), until they did the next-gen (deferred) lighting update, at which point they actually had to cut back on some effects and the framerate took a bit of a dip.

The most recent update it has gotten since was an improvement on loading times, which was usually why Switch players were the last ones to load in during a multiplayer session. Nowdays sessions load in pretty quickly.

It is by far one of the prettier-looking Switch games to date. Also the game supports gyro-aiming.

Back
Top Bottom