• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic The Switch OLED Model |ST| The Switch O-Thread

Really want to pick up the Switch OLED at some point but my handheld usage is like 20% of the time and mostly TV mode otherwise so I figure it’s probably not worth the upgrade, right?
I found that I don’t really play it docked as much (if at all) since picking up the OLED model.

Might not be worth the cost to you if that’s not how you’ll play.

My joycons are quite loose in my replacement OLED but I'm in a similar boat to Intoxicate in that I don't want to go through chancing a third console being Goldilocks.

My first OLED had a knackered screen with weird green artifacting. But the joycon sat tight as anything in it.

The replacement has a uniform screen with a slight yellow tint that I can live with. But all joycon except the Hori Split Pad Pro are loose in it. The wobble on the left is noticeable during play. I have a roll of Gorilla tape so might try that trick.

I've learned most of the looseness of joycons on Switch consoles come from the rails on the tablet itself. My partner's v2 Switch has really tight rails and her joycons are actually difficult to remove even after 2 years of ownership. The same joycon she uses are looser in my OLED. And my "loose" OG Neon cons are tight in her v2.

P.S. is the plural joycon or joycons? 🤔

I think it's a mix of both... my OG ones are tight on my OLED while my white ones are loose on it. Tape works just fine, and if it's black you won't even realize it's there. I think electric tape might be even better tan Gorilla... Gorilla is thicker and trying to solve my wobbling issue I realized that I just needed to pieces of electric tape one over the other to make it tight. With three of them, the joycons wouldn't slide into the rail without lot of pressure. I guess it will depend on how much loose yours are.

I have a problem: I still haven't been able to get an OLED Switch, and feel bad about playing any games on the old Switch in handheld mode because I could experience the same on a better screen, lol. When I ordered it from my local store they said I'd get one from a batch that arrives in November/December, so it shouldn't be too long now.

I found that I don’t really play it docked as much (if at all) since picking up the OLED model.

Might not be worth the cost to you if that’s not how you’ll play.
I ended up picking it up. I can sell my original Switch and make some money back on it towards the OLED upgrade so the cost is a bit less.

No offense or anything, and I can understand not wanting to risk breaking something, but don't you people own pliers? The receiving rails are metal.

Exactly what I did. Sold my 1st gen on eBay and did alright on it.
I ended up getting the Switch OLED yesterday and selling my OG Switch the same day online through Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist basically). I made $280 back on it so my “upgrade” to the OLED model was $230 which isn’t bad. Also the guy who bought it from me got it for his daughter’s birthday so that felt super good! I kept the box and everything so he had it all nicely packed up and I formatted it completely.

The Switch OLED is probably the highest quality Nintendo hardware I’ve ever owned. It’s quite amazing and I can easily see myself playing it in undocked mode way more now. I was playing Let’s Go Pokemon for a while on it yesterday and I really love the screen (the size + quality).

Between the 7 OLED Switches I had, there‘s been:

4 with blue or green tint (minor compared to the panel lottery of the OG, the screen is still far better then for example all the Switch lites I‘ve seen)

3 with one Joy Con slightly loose. On these Switches the other Joy Con was very tight, so it’s connected.

Only two had none of the issues above. Kept the second unit and think I will stop looking for a better one 🤪

That’s said the quality has improved compared to both the OG and V2 where finding a good screen was 1 out of 3, but the bad panels were far worse.

Has anybody got or used a dock sock with the new OLED Dock?

Funnily enough, my OLED seems to collect more dust than the og model did and I wondered if it's down to the Dock.

Has anybody got or used a dock sock with the new OLED Dock?

Funnily enough, my OLED seems to collect more dust than the og model did and I wondered if it's down to the Dock.

The OLED Dock is only 3mm wider, the “socks” should be flexible enough to stretch.

The ant-scattering film on the panel is a dust magnet. Makes applying screen protectors a challenge. The older Switches were less problematic, but with a glass protector it’s no difference for me. Where does your Switch collect dust?

The OLED Dock is only 3mm wider, the “socks” should be flexible enough to stretch.

The ant-scattering film on the panel is a dust magnet. Makes applying screen protectors a challenge. The older Switches were less problematic, but with a glass protector it’s no difference for me. Where does your Switch collect dust?
On the screen yeah so it will be the film that's gathering the dust then. I do need to get a screen protector and try to apply it without capturing masses of dust underneath...

That plastic protector on the screen is really a bad decision by Nintendo. I know everyone was eager to post to not remove it, but did anyone actually remove it? Would be curious if it removes without residue sind that plastic will scratch even more easily than the OG screen.

No offense or anything, and I can understand not wanting to risk breaking something, but don't you people own pliers? The receiving rails are metal.
I do, but I'm not going to be using pliers on a £309 device. I wouldn't want to risk damage or voiding my warranty. The paint has already come off the screws on metal rails on mine. If my left joycon gets looser I might send mine in for repair.
3 with one Joy Con slightly loose. On these Switches the other Joy Con was very tight, so it’s connected.
How loose is slightly loose to you? Just interested in comparing. Whenever I dock or undock my Switch the joycon slotted into the left side slides up, but the lock prevents it sliding right off. And while playing there is noticeable back and forth movement, particularly when I use the screenshot button. Joycons on the right as nice and tight.
I think that might play a little into it, given there is more space for dust to settle, but I think the OLED must be more statically charged. I have a film protector on mine which probably doesn't help in the way a glass own would but I just couldn't get a glass protector on without dust underneath. Also, I've found dust all along the backside on the tablet after just leaving my Switch on my bedside table for a day. I am finding myself dusting off the screen far more regularly, too.
That plastic protector on the screen is really a bad decision by Nintendo. I know everyone was eager to post to not remove it, but did anyone actually remove it? Would be curious if it removes without residue sind that plastic will scratch even more easily than the OG screen.
When it was revealed that the OLED would have a glass screen I was so excited. No worrying about protectors! Absolutely crestfallen when it turned out they put this film on it. I too would like to see a video of someone taking it off...

How loose is slightly loose to you? Just interested in comparing. Whenever I dock or undock my Switch the joycon slotted into the left side slides up, but the lock prevents it sliding right off. And while playing there is noticeable back and forth movement, particularly when I use the screenshot button. Joycons on the right as nice and tight.

Slightly loose = it wiggles with little pressure on the Joy Con, e.g. picking the Switch up.

On the tight ones you need to put some force into it to wiggle the Joy Con. It feels solid when you pick the Switch up.

I just got a text from my local game store that my OLED has arrived. They want me to pick it up today, presumably because there's a long queue and they don't want to hold it for long if I don't pick it up.

On the slightly loose part. Appearently it helps to slightly bend the counter contact/hinge:

GKpzbZm.png

phoenix down

Left joy-con (which I haven't used a huge amount as usually use the Hori D-pad) has now developed an awful pinging spring noise whenever it is pushed left. It's gotten worse over this past week. I'm tempted to send it into Nintendo UK for repair as I could hear it clanging over my headphones. Thankfully didn't wake my partner sleeping next to me.

Along with the loose rails (I still haven't gotten around to applying some electrical tape), and the need to replace the console outright due to a faulty digitiser, I'm disappointed several years on the market haven't improved the build quality of the Switch.

I'm also going to have to find a way of cleaning out my speakers as gunk seems to easily accumulate in there. (Sorry for grossness.)

Here's hoping the successor or Pro model or whatever has an optional premium edition where we can finally get Gorilla Glass and better plastics.

How's everyone else's OLED holding up?

My left joy con stick has problems too. Sometimes it's like stuck for a second when I'm moving it. Weird noises. Sometimes feel like there is sand in it. Still no drift.

I will have to say this again…. The OLED model is really damn nice. The colors, clarity of the screen, and the actual screen size makes this thing stand out. If the steamdeck screen was the same I would have already purchased it.

Back
Top Bottom