• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Switch OLED Model |ST| The Switch O-Thread

Raccoon

Fox Brigade
Pronouns
He/Him
NintendoSwitchOLEDmodel_Tabletop_01.0.jpg

Somehow, after the ongoing rollercoaster of rumors and speculation, the Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) has gone from a worst-case possibility turned reality to a surprisingly compelling upgrade. While many players won't see any of the benefits as their portable consoles rot away in their plastic docks, to those of us who enjoy tabletop mode in the uni library between study sessions or sharing the joy with others it is an undeniably comfortable prospect.

This thread comes at the request of @Kano following my posting of the following teardown image in the general discussion thread. Note the space left for the new hinges.

1633007988328-png.277764

Lastly, check out the kickstand from this angle. You can see the air intakes at the bottom, too. It's all a very slick refresh to the Nintendo Switch design.

ci_nswitch_stand_angle.png

I play handheld mode a whole lot, so this is going to be a pretty good upgrade just for the screen alone.

I don’t think I’m gonna buy an OLED, but you best bet I wanna cop those white joycons.

I don't use handheld mode enough to justify this purchase, but when I am playing handheld I'm gonna be really jealous I don't have one of these bad boys lol. The screen looks so nice.

I'll post more of these tomorrow but this video is, amongst others, what convinced me to get one when I can. Rainbow Road on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe looks incredibly better now.

I'm buying it but I'm not excited. I probably don't play Switch games enough to justify the purchase. Idk man. I'm just a weirdo with an impulse to own every official variant of every platform Nintendo has released.

The screen will be nice though. The Vita's OLED was sick.

So the display on the OLED model looks to be using Pentile matrix. The screenshot below, courtesy of @Jodast, is from 8:23 in the video.
Screenshot_2021-10-02-08-31-21-59_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

But considering how I've heard many YouTubers who managed to get the OLED model early mentioned how good the OLED model's display looks, it's probably not going to be noticed by the majority of consumers.

And the Pentile matrix on the OLED model's display seems to be a more modern variant, like with the Apple Watch Series 2, and the Samsung SDCA029 OLED panel for laptops, as shown below.

Photo%20on%202016-12-17%20at%208.43%20PM%20%233.jpg

Fri_May_17_12_52_51.jpg

And here are some additional details from the video.
  • He notices the display on his unit has a green hue.
  • His fingernails easily bent the bottom air vents. Although it's not major, it's noticeable.
  • He thinks the OLED model's speakers sound exactly the same as the Nintendo Switch's speakers, quality wise, except a bit louder.
The video also shows why I detest glossy plastic.

Edit: I don't know if I can say the OLED model's display is Pentile or RGB. I'm going to wait for Erica Griffin's analysis.
Edit #2: Going by an analysis on the future Nintendo hardware & technology thread on ResetEra, I could very much be wrong.

Last edited:
Yay! I got my *we are prepping to charge you and pack* email on Thursday, starting to get excited. All of the previews and impressions have just built the hype. I actually put aside a few games so I could have a packed October with the device, so looking forward to playing Monhun Stories 2 and Neo: TWEWY as well as Dread 😱

I've got mine pre-ordered. Only aspect I was concerned about was copying over everything to the OLED. It's so Nintendo-like to make this more complicated than necessary after Wii U and 3DS had fairly simple transfer processes, but after looking into it for awhile yesterday I think I finally get how they want you to do it. Sucks that having NSO is a requirement for conveniently sharing saves across multiple Switches; cloud saves on Switch are more handy than I thought.

Gonna try and get through all the setup as quick as possible so I can dig into Dread in handheld mode. As soon as i've made sure my New Horizons island has safely made it over, it's Metroid time.

Was slightly down after it’s reveal (honestly due to all the speculation about DLSS, new chip etc.) but the more I see of it the more exited I get. I mostly play handheld these days to the point I sold my PS5 and PS4 because I just don’t care about stationary gaming anymore.
My launch Switch shows it’s age and I would have to get new Joycons anyway since my idiot dog chewed on the last working set I had.
Really can’t wait to play around with some older games, revisit BOTW for the 5th time and play my first 2D Metroid.
If a pro really comes in a years time I’m just gonna sell it off.

Yeah, I'm quite looking forward to mine. I've shifted more to portable play this year, and so the improvements OLED offers will be much appreciated for someone still using their 2017 model.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing how things like Eastward, Return of the Obra Dinn, and Golf Story look on this, as well as Dread. I might also pick up the Civ VI expansion pass while it's reduced because I love portable Civ and that'll be even better on OLED.

Right, the main reason i'm jumping in on the OLED is that my launch switch feels and sounds like it could die at any time. Cracked vent, louder than usual fans, a few unexpected crashes, etc. I used to use handheld mode all the time but now i've been sparring with it because I want to be extra careful. Seriously can't wait to start using my Switch as a handheld again; especially since the Mariko model's battery life improvements will be all-new to me.

I'm on a launch Switch and a proud member of the tabletop gang

Better battery life
Better kickstand
Better speakers
Better screen

All good to me

Also surprising how much better the screen looks:

Better battery life
Better kickstand
Better speakers
Better screen

All good to me

Damn... The difference is staggering. It's almost like the game is running on a higher resolution.

Better battery life
Better kickstand
Better speakers
Better screen

All good to me

It looks so much clearer, ain't even funny. What I like most about it is the fact that there doesn't seem to be a gap between the display unit itself and the screen anymore. (I think it's called laminated, right?)

It looks so much clearer, ain't even funny. What I like most about it is the fact that there doesn't seem to be a gap between the display unit itself and the screen anymore. (I think it's called laminated, right?)

I've seen someone say the OLED has a glass screen so it might be that? I get what you mean though.

Better battery life
Better kickstand
Better speakers
Better screen

All good to me

100%, still using my launch here. I cant say there's anything wrong with it haha but there's enough features that have accumulated between the v2 upgrade and the new OLED (larger on-board memory too!) that it adds up to a meaningful investment. That video looks great!

I’m very pumped for it. My main issue with the Switch since day one is how cheap it looked with the big bezel and overall screen appearance. It’s a shame Nintendo couldn’t have launched something that looked like this from the get go…

100%, still using my launch here. I cant say there's anything wrong with it haha but there's enough features that have accumulated between the v2 upgrade and the new OLED (larger on-board memory too!) that it adds up to a meaningful investment. That video looks great!

Yeah, I forgot about the extra memory. Definitely a nice bonus.

I’m very pumped for it. My main issue with the Switch since day one is how cheap it looked with the big bezel and overall screen appearance. It’s a shame Nintendo couldn’t have launched something that looked like this from the get go…
It certainly feels like this is the definitive Switch model so far.

I think its a fair wish that Nintendo could have had a model like this in terms of feeling closer to a high end consumer product but I understand why they didn't. They go for such a family friendly/wide range range, it makes sense to try and provide something more foolproof, assuming it's necessary to launch with one model out the gate to not confuse matters. When we got ours at launch, we got one for our kid too and he was only 9 at the time. If it had had a glass screen then that would be have a big no. I'm not sure I trust myself with that now 😂

Funnily enough, Undertale is one of the best display of the pure blacks from the OLED screen. There's a very stark difference shown here on Kevin Kenson's video (game is normally 4:3, but it appears 16:9 due to the background being black so you don't actually see a cutoff at all).
verQC6V.png

I think its a fair wish that Nintendo could have had a model like this in terms of feeling closer to a high end consumer product but I understand why they didn't. They go for such a family friendly/wide range range, it makes sense to try and provide something more foolproof, assuming it's necessary to launch with one model out the gate to not confuse matters. When we got ours at launch, we got one for our kid too and he was only 9 at the time. If it had had a glass screen then that would be have a big no. I'm not sure I trust myself with that now 😂
It's important to remember that the price was already being pushed quite high in 2017 as well. $300 was considered overpriced even!

Kevin Kanson probably has the best comparisons on YouTube between all his videos
LnZyTfR.png

EjgyemQ.png

f2ibG75.png

Jb9NhxB.png

45bl3RB.png

------------------------------------------------------------------

unknown.png
unknown.png

Last edited:
Lost mine due to switching Address on target. Sadness.

Will probably get one when it pops up on Amazon in a few months or weeks

I was thinking that even though I have a day one Switch, I didn't really need this because I mostly play docked and I haven't had any issues with my Switch *knock on wood*. But then realized I've been playing tabletop mode at work a lot lately so I should probably consider going for one.

Maybe for my birthday next year (June) if nothing else gets announced by then.

My mom has over 1200 hours in New Horizons on her Switch Lite. It's the only game she owns, and she's super content with it. Any time I would play it at home, she would remark how she wished she could see all her "babies" (her villagers lol) on the big screen. Her birthday is the 7th, so I got her a Switch OLED so she can finally plug into their huge 4K TV at home while having the best handheld experience since she's used to that :)

Also, does anyone have any good ideas for games on Switch that moms would like? She wasn't a gamer before this. I'm thinking maybe Poke Snap? Definitely Kirby when that releases.

I'm all set and went a bit crazy getting switch goodies. Modded my pro controllers with new shells, boxy pixel metal joycons, I can't wait!

My mom has over 1200 hours in New Horizons on her Switch Lite. It's the only game she owns, and she's super content with it. Any time I would play it at home, she would remark how she wished she could see all her "babies" (her villagers lol) on the big screen. Her birthday is the 7th, so I got her a Switch OLED so she can finally plug into their huge 4K TV at home while having the best handheld experience since she's used to that :)

Also, does anyone have any good ideas for games on Switch that moms would like? She wasn't a gamer before this. I'm thinking maybe Poke Snap? Definitely Kirby when that releases.

This is unbelievably wholesome, I love it. Game ideas: my partner loves Animal Crossing and has had a similar journey after playing it on the 3ds and off the top of my head she really enjoys things like Stardew Valley, Little Dragon Cafe, Pokemon (especially the older style so BDSP or let's go), light and fluffy platformers like Yoshi, Pokemon Snap, Anything that has jobs or chores that you can dig into. She really liked the upcoming Disney Magical World game on 3ds thats coming out in December too!

(Consulted with my partner and edited it down a little haha she told me off for being overwhelming ☠)

Last edited:
This is unbelievably wholesome, I love it. Game ideas: my partner loves Animal Crossing and has had a similar journey after playing it on the 3ds and off the top of my head she really enjoys things like Stardew Valley, Little Dragon Cafe, Pokemon (especially the older style so BDSP or let's go), light and fluffy platformers like Yoshi, Pokemon Snap Two Point Hospital. Anything that has jobs or chores that you can dig into 😂 she loves Splatoom multiplayer too lol but I feel like that might be an outlier.

Your signature is a work of art

It's not Pentile. The guy in the video zooms enough on the screen to show that its RBG. We've had enough videos showing the device to know that it's not a Pentile but a good quality screen.

Actually, I could be very much wrong, going by this analysis from the future Nintendo hardware & technology thread on ResetEra. I'm personally going to be waiting for Erica Griffin's analysis.
Guess we'll see soon enough, it's amazing we're so close and seemingly it's still up in the air about the exact details.

Quoted by: SiG
Guess we'll see soon enough, it's amazing we're so close and seemingly it's still up in the air about the exact details.
From what we could at least gather, at least it's not the awful diamond layout.

Edit: The post on Era shows it's definitely not pentile. It's not even the modern Samsung pentile display shown, as it shows 3 subpixels per pixel on the display of the OLED.

Last edited:
Astral Chain on the Oled screen *_* <3 Wow!
The OLED might actually convince me to play that game through to the end instead of stopping 15 hours in haha. Looks GORGEOUS
This is unbelievably wholesome, I love it. Game ideas: my partner loves Animal Crossing and has had a similar journey after playing it on the 3ds and off the top of my head she really enjoys things like Stardew Valley, Little Dragon Cafe, Pokemon (especially the older style so BDSP or let's go), light and fluffy platformers like Yoshi, Pokemon Snap, Anything that has jobs or chores that you can dig into. She really liked the upcoming Disney Magical World game on 3ds thats coming out in December too!

(Consulted with my partner and edited it down a little haha she told me off for being overwhelming ☠)
Thank you, friend! These are great ideas. I feel like Stardew Valley is a MUST, along with Poke Snap or Yoshi. I think Yoshi would be the easiest to start with because she has full control over the game unlike Snap, and then 3D Kirby will be so great next year!

Kevin Kenson's final thoughts on the OLED.

- OLED screen is a flat out upgrade in every sense of the word. Colours are more vivid (the settings also has the option to turn that off if for whatever reason you don't want it), the screen is noticeably bigger, the darks are much better looking.
- Confirms that the screen is now glass rather than plastic like the OG.
- Better, more "premium" build quality all around, he believes the kickstand is metal now but isn't entirely sure about that. The whole build feels cooler to the touch than the OG model.
- Barely sensed any difference in speakers quality, but they are louder.
- He speaks a bit about burn-in fears but says that, even though you need to be aware of it, fears are a bit over the top.
- He doesn't really use the kickstand much but says it is definitely way better.
- Even though the OLED still manages to do better against broad sunlight than the OG, it's still not ideal so you won't want to play it against the sun.
- Because the OLED is a bit wider, some accessories don't fit anymore. Especially grips.
- Battery life is actually a bit better than the OG, most of the time it falls in the same range that Nintendo provided (4.5 - 9 hours, like the OG) but in some instances, some games perform a little bit better. When running at max brightness on both OG and OLED, Breath of the Wild managed to last 40 minutes longer on the OLED.
- The built-in ethernet port basically performs the same as if you'd use an official LAN adapter.
- The opening of the new dock is slightly larger, probably to avoid scratching like the old dock used to do. It is a bit more jiggly in the dock though.
- You can remove the back of the dock entirely now.
- Says that if you don't own a Switch, it's a no brainer to pick the OLED. Definitely worth the extra 50 bucks.
- About upgrading, he's more hesitant. If you have a day one model that already got a lot of use, it could be worth it. If you've got something less than two years old (V2 model), it doesn't feel that worth it. He advices to look for reselling consoles to get a new one for cheaper.

ZpWVKy8.png

Gonna watch this thread in case some posts a link that are selling the OLED. My current switch needs to be replaced 😞

- About upgrading, he's more hesitant. If you have a day one model that already got a lot of use, it could be worth it. If you've got something less than two years old (V2 model), it doesn't feel that worth it. He advices to look for reselling consoles to get a new one for cheaper.
I'm such a big OLED simp that I keep forgetting I have a V1. It really will be a great upgrade for me.

I'm such a big OLED simp that I keep forgetting I have a V1. It really will be a great upgrade for me.

Same. I really want the bigger battery, my Switch barely lasts three hours on Ace Attorney and it's been bothering me since it's a long session game. Plus there are scratchs a bit all over my screen that aren't too bad, but it's definitely a good excuse to upgrade. Kickstand gloriousness too.

I'm glad to hear it's such a nice upgrade but I really still don't feel the need to plop down $350 for it. My launch switch may be missing some of its casing but it hasn't had any problems in performance and screen quality is not the type of thing I really notice. I also play with it plugged into an outlet 90% of the time so the battery is not much of an issue.

I originally placed a preorder for this. Figured I could cancel later if I decided I didn't (want/need) it. However the previews have really sold me on this upgrade. Not a game changer by any stretch of the imagination but definitely a nice upgrade over my original launch Switch. I also have a buyer lineup for my launch Switch so that makes the decision much more easier.

I own an OLED tv and phone as many of you do as well and I can personally say that OLED is a game changer when it comes to overall presentation. I wouldn't want to go back to LCD at all at this point. The color vibrancy of OLED is a pretty big upgrade to my eyes. Excited to get mine and play some Metroid Dread and other titles on it.

It looks really good, but I can‘t justify a purchase when I still have a working launch switch. I play a lot in Handheld mode and a screen upgrade is very nice, but the 430$ price point where I live is just to steep. And going by the price history of the original switch, I don‘t see that changing soon.

Back
Top Bottom