• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic The Switch OLED Model |ST| The Switch O-Thread

I was able to order one online (woo!), but now I’m torn in whether or not to buy a screen protector. It took me like three hours to properly get one on my Animal Crossing Switch, and I’m already dreading going through that again.

So basically I’m looking for someone to talk me out of it
I had a screen protector on my V1 and V2 Switch as well as my Lite. Not doing it this time with the OLED. I gave it a shot applying one but it was more trouble than it’s worth. The glass screen is more durable and hasn’t been scratched by the dock like my previous Switch models. But that’s just me

I would say get one and have a friend or family member do it for you. IMO, it's always important to protect the screen the best we can

If it took me so long to do it on my last Switch (as I was being as perfectionist as possible), I'm not sure why anyone in my social circle would be able to do it better. But it's that dang perfectionism that's causing all the issues in the first place!

I had a screen protector on my V1 and V2 Switch as well as my Lite. Not doing it this time with the OLED. I gave it a shot applying one but it was more trouble than it’s worth. The glass screen is more durable and hasn’t been scratched by the dock like my previous Switch models. But that’s just me
Really none of my various handheld screens have accumulated any scratches over the years—screen protector or no. It's just the paranoid neurotic side of my brain screaming at me to apply one JUST IN CASE even though the rest of my mind is trying to talk me out of it (mostly due to laziness).

Decision time... I didn't put a protector on my first Switch, but I did on my second. I won't put a protector on my OLED, but will on the Pro.

Problem solved!

Now to fantasize about that sensually nekkid screen until I'm able to finally get my hands on it 😍

The problematic part is the anti-shattering layer on top of the glass of the OLED model. It might be weaker than glass an could be scratched by the dock. If the top layer was glass ai would also keep it without a protector.

I canceled my pre-order for this with all the talks about the 4K Switch news.

But I can't help but think of all the dopamine and excitement I would have right now playing with a fancy oled switch. Can i live through someone's else's happiness? Someone share me the giddy and joy you are feeling with your OLED Switch.
Well, I was really hesitant about buying one, the reason for that is I think we will get a pro or switch 2 in the near future.
I have a day one model and it is working fine.
But when people in the US started sharing glowing impressions It was very hard for me to hold the urge to get one and I started to call every store in Brazil to see if they had it. The thing is the OLED will only launch here officially next year, and hearing how hard it was for folks in the US to secure one, I thought no store at all would succeed importing here. Boy I was wrong. In 6 days after the launch day some stores had a lot of units, in both white and neon colors. So I caved, and payed the equivalent of 720 US for the white one.
Just have to say it took maybe 2 days to redownload my games (I have a 400 gb sd and close to 600 digital games) but now I can’t stop playing it. The screen is so much better, not only the small size increase makes a big difference, but the colors are beautiful and the blacks so pure that I knew the moment I turned it on, that my decision to buy one was thankfully right.
I have been playing metroid and having a blast! But I also tried hollow knight, octopath, paper Mario and they all look beautiful. Also, the battery life is much better in comparison for me.
If you ever feel like you need one, I would just say buy it and you probably won’t regret it!

* this is my first post here!

I sent my OLED to my brother and I asked him to check if it was working. He turn the console on and it worked then I asked him to turn it off.

The thing is that he said that when he hold the power button the menu did not come up but he assures me the device is turned off. Can anyone confirm if the menu does not come up if the Switch was not configured at all?

Did anyone here who has a switch lite as their primary transfer data from their secondary switch to the oled? Wanna know if I should be careful with anything or should keep note of something while transfering.

I sent my OLED to my brother and I asked him to check if it was working. He turn the console on and it worked then I asked him to turn it off.

The thing is that he said that when he hold the power button the menu did not come up but he assures me the device is turned off. Can anyone confirm if the menu does not come up if the Switch was not configured at all?

Confirmed, was the same on the OG, V2 and still is on the OLED. If you don’t set it up the menu to shut down will not pop up and it will restart the set-up sequence when you turn it on again.

Contrast is better, but the color temperature seems a bit off on the OLED. But I also went through several OG Switches to get one with proper 6500k.

Unfortunately, my first impression was confirmed now. The OLED screen has worse greys (the balance between the RGB colors), i.e. it emphasizes greens and blues or lacks red. That was the first impression I had when I did the system transfer with my V2 Switch (where I picked the best screen from various Switches I compared).

nIELpku.jpg

What impression do you have from your OLED screens. I’m curious if there are better ones out with better grey/white balance.

Got mine yesterday, but waiting to get a new micro SD before it becomes my main Switch. Just playing games I have the cartridge for now. Metroid is looking great. Also, the white dock looks really nice.

What impression do you have from your OLED screens. I’m curious if there are better ones out with better grey/white balance.
I can see a green tint most prominent on the left side of my screen when on the system menu with the black theme enabled. Can also notice some graininess on dark greys. Googling makes me believe this is inherent to the technology--OLEDs struggle with greys.

I don't miss IPS glow.

I need to do more testing on darker games... Can't wait to play Diablo II... But expect some green tint in that but better contrast.

So far seems to be the better screen on balance and like the larger size.

Best screen since the DSi XL.

Is it still possible to find Switch OLEDs anywhere? I take it the best thing to do is to walk in stores and ask? My luck with Best Buy hasn't been great in this regard, unlike with Metroid Dread Special Edition, wehre I was able to secure a copy right before launch.

I can see a green tint most prominent on the left side of my screen when on the system menu with the black theme enabled. Can also notice some graininess on dark greys. Googling makes me believe this is inherent to the technology--OLEDs struggle with greys.

Do you have auto-brightness on? It seems to improve the graininess.

I’m wondering if this is going to be worth it for me. Money is a bit tight at the moment as I have other more important things to pay for. I could just about afford it but I’m wondering if it’s a good long term investment.

I’ve nearly finished Metroid Dread on my day 1 Switch so I’m just wondering what big Nintendo games I’d actually play on the OLED over the next 12 months or so.

I can’t help but feel the next Switch will be out for Breath of the wild 2 and the biggest games before then will be Splatoon 3 and a remaster/remake of Metroid Prime. I’m not a huge Splatoon fan, although a do like it, and I’m not sure Prime remaster is enough for me to benefit from the hardware that much.

Thing is, I just know that if I don’t get the OLED the next Switch probably won’t come until like late 2023 or something and I’ll be like ‘should have just got the OLED bro’.

Do you have auto-brightness on? It seems to improve the graininess.
I do. I usually keep auto brightness on unless I'm outside and want to ramp up the brightness.

I just got some accessories from Amazon Japan (and they only took 5 days to arrive to the UK) and I'm really pleased with most of them. I got fed up of waiting for a decent OLED case to come out so I bought this:

It's a Hori product and for now won't be released in the UK or US. There's a slight bit of wiggle but it's a good tradeoff to be able to use this with my D-pad joycon (boy is that joycon loose in my new Switch since the rails changed).

I also got a new stand which enables me to use the Switch in TATE mode. It has slots for 2 game carts and allegedly the official stylus but the way the stylus goes in is not optimal but might be great for those who do a lot of Brain Training.

Here you can see the green tint on the left side of my OLED display:

I also bought the cargo bag which will be released in the UK and US next month but I'm not sure I will get much use out of it as I don't think it offers quite enough protection not enough room for accessories. I forgot to take a photo of the internals but it's on Hori's website.

I use a knock-off of the Peak Designs tech pouch as my everyday carry when I'm out with my Switch. It holds my Genki dock adapter, HDMI and USB-C cables, the stand above, earbuds, Swiss Army, etc.

I'm still awaiting my protective film from Amazon UK. They've clearly botched up supply and so I might just order it through My Nintendo now. Wish I had just added one to my order from Japan, so my Switch is still naked. 😱

Just picked up the last one at my local Walmart on my lunch break. Can’t wait to see how Animal Crossing and Cooking tycoon 3-in-1 look on this thing!

To those who have an OLED: is it worth the upgrade, you’d say? I’ve heard everything from yes to no on YouTube and just want some concrete opinions from those of you who have one. Is the screen that much a difference where it almost makes the games feel like a new coat of paint?

Also, do I need a screen protector for the OLED? I’m seeing reports that it comes WITH a screen protector? Just sort of confoozled.

Thanks!

To those who have an OLED: is it worth the upgrade, you’d say? I’ve heard everything from yes to no on YouTube and just want some concrete opinions from those of you who have one. Is the screen that much a difference where it almost makes the games feel like a new coat of paint?

Also, do I need a screen protector for the OLED? I’m seeing reports that it comes WITH a screen protector? Just sort of confoozled.

Thanks!
If you have a V1, go for it. The battery and screen alone are night and day. If you have a V2, just wait

To those who have an OLED: is it worth the upgrade, you’d say?

I dont have one yet, but its inevitably ESID (Every Sitch Is Different).

Me, I got a V1.
Play 90+% handheld.
Fortunate enuff that I can afford the OLED w/o sacrifice. (Hell, the V1-ness of my existing unit means it could nearly pay for the OLED by itself)
I want dat screen.
I want dat 🔋 boost.
Got a good size backlog to enjoy the OLED with.
Havent beaten OLED flagship title Dread yet.

What are your parameters?

If its similar to our friend YolkFolk:

I’m wondering if this is going to be worth it for me. Money is a bit tight at the moment as I have other more important things to pay for ... I’ve nearly finished Metroid Dread on my day 1 Switch so I’m just wondering what big Nintendo games I’d actually play on the OLED

The answer is probably not unless you will for sure play it a lot handheld.

This is the one I put on my OLED.
ohh nice! I already bought the non ultra thin version as this one was out of stock, but my OLED comes tomorrow. just bought these to use instead, figure the thinner version would be better.

Thanks!

I had a perfect lcd on my V1, had to go through several V2s to find a similar one (no tint, 6500k color temperature). The OLED I got lacks red, so the colors look less pleasant to me despit the bigger screen and better contrast.

I haven’t seen better versions yet, neither online nor personally. I only ordered two since I didn’t know what color to get. Was lucky to only pay 280€ for it (instead of 369€) and I mainly play handheld but I’m sensitive for colors so I still don’t know whether I keep it or my V2.

Thanks!
I'd recommend selling your Switch or taking advantage of a trade-in offer, but it's not worth $350 if you already own a Switch, no.

amfilms ultra thin protectors (this is not the normal one, supposedly labeled v2) are back in stock.

Wish I knew there was a thinner version, oh well. Looks like the regular is 0.33mm versus 0.26mm, so over a 25% size difference, but at least the standard screen protector isn't noticeable when using the Switch. I probably would've still gone with the standard anyway; I do not like taking devices out of the packaging until I have a screen protector ready to go in order to minimize dust, grime, and marks getting captured when applying the screen protector.

Wish I knew there was a thinner version, oh well. Looks like the regular is 0.33mm versus 0.26mm, so over a 25% size difference, but at least the standard screen protector isn't noticeable when using the Switch. I probably would've still gone with the standard anyway; I do not like taking devices out of the packaging until I have a screen protector ready to go in order to minimize dust, grime, and marks getting captured when applying the screen protector.
yeah im not sure what the deal with the thinner one is..keeps going out of stock and getting a whole new product number and URL...and theres no word of it anywhere. there was a thread on resetera that says they seemingly look identical box wise..just the thin ones have a v2 after the product name on the back. i'll have both of them at my house tomorrow...wont open the original box but will post picture of the boxes.

Last edited:
Found an interesting YouTube video covering battery life:

From the video, when comparing these consoles at maximum settings (max brightness, max sound, airplane mode off) playing Breath of the Wild:
  • OLED: 5 hours 19 minutes
  • V2: 4 hours 15 minutes
  • Lite: 3 hours 25 minutes
  • V1: 2 hours 45 minutes
The differences in battery life between the V2 Switch and OLED model are minimal at minimum settings but grow more pronounced as you use a higher brightness and sound setting.

Unfortunately, my first impression was confirmed now. The OLED screen has worse greys (the balance between the RGB colors), i.e. it emphasizes greens and blues or lacks red. That was the first impression I had when I did the system transfer with my V2 Switch (where I picked the best screen from various Switches I compared).

nIELpku.jpg

Just curious how did you manage to use a colorimeter on the OLED Model? It isn't a TV or monitor with a video input. Nor is there any calibration app.

Just curious how did you manage to use a colorimeter on the OLED Model? It isn't a TV or monitor with a video input. Nor is there any calibration app.

That’s not my measurement, the screenshot is from a video I found on YouTube. But you don’t need an input, just drop the 10 reference white tones on the SD card and measure the display with the colorimeter.

I think I sold some stranger on subway on the Switch. He saw me playing Metroid on the OLED and was blown away. Said he hasn’t had a portable since the PSP and then started asking a bunch of questions about what the Switch can do. Lol. Its biggest strength has always been that it markets itself. The OLED screen helps even more with that.

Is there any reason to prefer the .26mm or .33mm amFilm screen protector? Thought maybe I saw people on the Era thread preferring one or the other

Is there any reason to prefer the .26mm or .33mm amFilm screen protector? Thought maybe I saw people on the Era thread preferring one or the other
No idea, i got both but am going with the thinner one cause well its thinner and i just need it for scratch protection, it also seems to be the "newer model".

Here are the two boxes (the left is .33 and the right is .26), they are 100% identical other than the .26 has a sticker over the UPC that adds a v2 to the model name:
bRek6LV.png

0o52gtE.png
bqFWdnN.png

Last edited:
I read the thicker glass might not quite fit into the dock as well. I went with the thinner version.

No idea, i got both but am going with the thinner one cause well its thinner and i just need it for scratch protection, it also seems to be the "newer model".

Here are the two boxes (the left is .33 and the right is .26), they are 100% identical other than the .26 has a sticker over the UPC that adds a v2 to the model name:
bRek6LV.png

0o52gtE.png
bqFWdnN.png
Oh thanks for this!

Sharing a question of mine from Era so I can get the most reassurance possible....

I know there's a lot of walk throughs on how to transfer your data properly, and there's been much discussion about it here, but I feel like I've seen so many have so many various issues that I'd like to walk through my steps and anyone can point out if I'm wrong. If you don't mind. Mostly because I don't think I've seen anything yet on how to transfer AC if my wife and I both have a villager on our island.

1) Download AC transfer tool from eShop.
2) Transfer my user profile via the transfer function (will move saves, playtime, etc.). Will this method move my two non-cloud saves, Pokemon and Dark Souls?
3?) Transfer my wife's profile. She only plays AC, so this will keep her playtime intact.
4) Both our accounts and saves are now on the OLED. Download the AC transfer tool from eShop.
5) Load up transfer tool on both Switches and transfer our island.

Now both our villagers and the island should be there and good to go, right?

6) I don't care about having to redownload games. The only other data on my old Switch should be photos and videos, correct, which is as simple as taking the SD out and putting it right in the OLED?

Thanks!! My main concern is - is there any chance I can mess this up so that my access to the island makes it over to the OLED but my wife loses access to her character?

Man I can't decide whether or not to return my Switch. How bad is green colour shift/tint at 40% brightness (maybe around 70% with auto brightness on) for you? Have you played games like Dark Souls or Diablo II and do dark greys become green and do you get green artifacting/pixel noise? Is one part of your display a green hue (left side on mine) notifcable on greys?

Some say this is inherent to OLED tech and others say nah this is a defect. I dunno what to think.

OLED Switch bend test

I'm pleasantly surprised that the front housing, specifically the small border around the screen, is actually made from metal, not plastic. And I'm happy to see confirmation that the kickstand is made from metal.

I'm surprised Nintendo made the OLED model as premium as it is, which definitely justifies the price increase of $50.

Man I can't decide whether or not to return my Switch. How bad is green colour shift/tint at 40% brightness (maybe around 70% with auto brightness on) for you? Have you played games like Dark Souls or Diablo II and do dark greys become green and do you get green artifacting/pixel noise? Is one part of your display a green hue (left side on mine) notifcable on greys?

Some say this is inherent to OLED tech and others say nah this is a defect. I dunno what to think.
Mine has a green tint on the left side, too. I had already noticed when comparing with my Switch V2 side by side. I don’t wanna bother with a return if I’m gonna have to gamble getting a better quality or not.

The scratch test on the screen should have owners sprinting for a screen protector. Yikes.
yeah was a bit confused before about if it really needed a screen protector since it was glass..but clearly it does. the scratchable plastic on the outside is baffling....its not like the solution to that needs to be invented...every phone is glass without a plastic film for shatter protection....

The OLED finally arrived today after 16 days :v two hours later we are still redownloading all the games and the updates. Though the Island Transfer is already done! Once all that finishes, let it have a full charge and finally start Metroid Dread!

Back
Top Bottom