• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know of at least two 10/10 scores for TOTK that are incoming (one of them very highly weighted) so I think it’ll hold the 96

Are we assuming it can’t go up to 97 again? I get the mentality that late reviews might not be as glowing but the nature of these 10s is that there’s quite a lot of growth and improvement here over the original. Talking with a friend here who is already smitten and largely fell off the original.

I've played a bit more than 10 hours and so far it's an 8 for me. I already said it in the other thread but I really don't feel the new abilities, for various reasons. And so far
the depths
aren't really interesting.

Are we assuming it can’t go up to 97 again? I get the mentality that late reviews might not be as glowing but the nature of these 10s is that there’s quite a lot of growth and improvement here over the original. Talking with a friend here who is already smitten and largely fell off the original.
I mean never say never but 97 requires an absurd number of high weighted 10/10s lol. It's the weighting system that is the issue (on OC it is already a 97)

can we please post impressions/etc in the OT and keep this thread just for reviews? i see this thread getting bumped and i think there's a new review out, lol

I mean never say never but 97 requires an absurd number of high weighted 10/10s lol. It's the weighting system that is the issue (on OC it is already a 97)

Not sure I understand the logic here. It was a 97 when it was at 60 something reviews. Has it dropped that far from there?

Not sure I understand the logic here. It was a 97 when it was at 60 something reviews. Has it dropped that far from there?
Yeah, it's now the top of the lower half of 96 rated games on MC. So it has a lot of ground to cover.

And you said one was very highly weighted, right? Would you say top tier on MC?
I don't know if it's top tier MC (since there are only like 3-4 of those haha), but it is definitely weighed heavier than most average reviews :)

Tears of the Kingdom is for sure the most expansive and content rich game ever made on top of being innovative, ingenious, revolutionary and extremely fun, and people are still complaining because it doesn't run at 4k60fps. This obsession is a disease.

Tears of the Kingdom is for sure the most expansive and content rich game ever made on top of being innovative, ingenious, revolutionary and extremely fun, and people are still complaining because it doesn't run at 4k60fps. This obsession is a disease.

Look I do think it’s a fair complaint or desire to have today. That said, what they actually pulled off is marvelous. Really props to the teams involved as I don’t think I’ve been bothered by the visuals outside of some pretty bad shadows when first stepping out in the sky islands.

Look I do think it’s a fair complaint or desire to have today. That said, what they actually pulled off is marvelous. Really props to the teams involved as I don’t think I’ve been bothered by the visuals outside of some pretty bad shadows when first stepping out in the sky islands.
resolution and aliasing in the isles are the first thing that comes to mind, but yeah totk is a marvelous thing.

I was watching a video the other day asserting that user reviews for games are more accurate than outlet reviews? I could see that being the case for smaller titles but quite frankly it’ll always be skewed with console exclusives.

I love user reviews, there's so many games unknown or niche enough that they basically have no presence on stuff like review sites that have multiple high quality user reviews on steam

but yeah it's way too easy to review bomb stuff to just look at numbers

I was watching a video the other day asserting that user reviews for games are more accurate than outlet reviews? I could see that being the case for smaller titles but quite frankly it’ll always be skewed with console exclusives.

user reviews are frankly terrible and they are not more accurate than outlet reviews (regardless of what the game is)

Screenshot_20230513-205310.png

I mean, i'm ok with someone giving a lower score to a game for "reasons", not every game is made to like everyone, but giving the recent events with kotaku, being so salty and unprofessional (and racist by some of their journalists), this only makes me feel that the new management only wants rapid clicks.

What a joke.

I mean, i'm ok with someone giving a lower score to a game for "reasons", not every game is made to like everyone, but giving the recent events with kotaku, being so salty and unprofessional (and racist by some of their journalists), this only makes me feel that the new management only wants rapid clicks.

What a joke.
Strange take. Some games deserve unanimous praise, many don't. Nothing healthy or unhealthy about it.

Strange take. Some games deserve unanimous praise, many don't. Nothing healthy or unhealthy about it.
It's about how they've been whining about being blacklisted, and doing a lot of pretty immature and unprofessional stuff. This wouldn't be an issue if it was in a vacuum.

a 6 10 from edge

Thinking Easy Allies will give it a pretty good score:

Oh HELL yeah, keep em coming!

Overall, these scores are pretty damn good obviously although there are some of those weird takes like "Is just more BOTW" when clearly is not and even if that was the case, what were they expecting from a game teased specifically as "The sequel to BOTW"?

Seriously though, I hope they do something different with Zelda for Switch 2, maybe a Twilight Princess remake?

Overall, these scores are pretty damn good obviously although there are some of those weird takes like "Is just more BOTW" when clearly is not and even if that was the case, what were they expecting from a game teased specifically as "The sequel to BOTW"?

Seriously though, I hope they do something different with Zelda for Switch 2, maybe a Twilight Princess remake?

Gotta have to agree, if one (reviewer or regular player) is of the opinion that this is "just more" BotW ... i can't think of anything else but "You didn't play it then.".

I know i'm going to sound super exaggerated, but TotK really makes BotW look like a (extremely well-made) tech demo.
Like a prologue for the "full" game.

Thinking Easy Allies will give it a pretty good score:

Neither of those are from the reviewer, unless Brad won a bet for it or something. Just for folks who aren't familiar with who the Allies are to keep expectations in check and not be let down or mad when Damiani finds a reason why Tears of the Kingdom could stand to be 0.5 points better.

Neither of those are from the reviewer, unless Brad won a bet for it or something. Just for folks who aren't familiar with who the Allies are to keep expectations in check and not be let down or mad when Damiani finds a reason why Tears of the Kingdom could stand to be 0.5 points better.
isn't brad doing the review?

What a joke.
I don't disagree with the take, but the source and writer giving that take is EXTREMELY sus. Like an article saying "it's okay to find people besides your significant other attractive" on adultery .com from someone who is known to constantly cheat and lie about being unfaithful.

Brad is the reviewer though

I don't disagree with the take, but the source and writer giving that take is EXTREMELY sus. Like an article saying "it's okay to find people besides your significant other attractive" on adultery .com from someone who is known to constantly cheat and lie about being unfaithful.
kotaku has been full on petty bitch because Nintendo blacklisted them a long time ago and don't give them review copies anymore. I wouldn't take any comment of their's with any amount of sincerity

kotaku has been full on petty bitch because Nintendo blacklisted them a long time ago and don't give them review copies anymore. I wouldn't take any comment of their's with any amount of sincerity
I know, my post was more me working through my second hand embarrassment for Kotaku/Luke P. writing such an article.

Brad is doing the review. I included Huber's impressions just to add to the hype.

IIRC Brad is reviewing TotK whilst Damiani is reviewing Final Fantasy XVI

a 6 10 from edge

Can we now assume that 96 is locked?

Can we now assume that 96 is locked?
it's really hard to tell, there's a lot of people who didn't get review codes who are now just starting to do their reviews, and it's a looooong ass games so who knows when their reviews will be finished. it all depends how those reviews will turn out.

EDGE Magazine (10/10):
In reimagining Hyrule and reshuffling the tools you'll use to explore and to save it, Nintendo may not have quite reinvented the wheel. But this kingdom provides a wondrous space in which to consider how you just might.

Gamefa (10/10, review in Farsi):
Tears of the Kingdom is a one-of-a-kind open world and sandbox experience that vastly improves upon its predecessor in addition to introducing new features. This is an experience that relies on creativity and leaves you free to explore its world by building structures and using new strategies. trust me, you won't get tired of this game even after spending hundreds of hours exploring its world.

Cubed3 (10/10):
To answer the question - is this a brand-new game or glorified DLC? The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a worthy sequel - it goes beyond a simple reskin and introduces a cohesive, unique take at a post-story world from a previous entry. Blend in two huge new landmasses to unpack, reworked villages/locations and a mysterious story to stitch it all together for one epic return to Hyrule. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom accomplishes that incredibly difficult task of following up a critically acclaimed game. It hooks, teases and surprises at every turn. Another essential game for the Nintendo Switch and chapter in the ever-expanding Hylian story.

Het Nieuwsblad (5/5, review in Dutch):
Thanks to the addition of the Ultrahand ability, Tears of the Kingdom becomes a kind of all-round friend to every kind of gamer. Those who want to can create, puzzle, cook, unwind and enjoy the scenery. But just as well experience adventures, fight and encounter pretty tough challenges that will take even the most seasoned gamer quite a while. It is highly exceptional for a single game to personify the desiderata of all these personas.

Gamersky (10/10, review in Chinese):
I wouldn't say The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the kingdom is a perfect game, but it's definitely a game that puts fun first from start to finish. It does have some imperfections, but they don't detract from its outstanding multi-dimensional gameplay and innovative design concepts that set the industry standard.

Try Hard Guides (10/10):
While Tears of the Kingdom suffers from noticeably more visual bugs and dropped framerate than its predecessor, this can largely be attributed to the sheer size of the world. As with BOTW, players will be comparing every game to this for the next five years, at least. It’s one of those things that you can’t understand unless you play for yourself and it’s wise to go in as fresh as possible.

GamingBolt (10/10):
Tears of the Kingdom ups the ante on its predecessor, and follows up on one of the greatest games ever made by exceeding it in every possible regard to a thorough, comprehensive degree. If you are a fan of the medium, you owe it to yourself to play this game.

Saudi Gamer (8/10, review in Arabic):
Tears of the Kingdom is a great game that rewards your imagination and creativity more so than the original, but ultimately it is the same game down to its faults and barely brings anything substantially new to the table.

Last edited:
"but ultimately it is the same game down to its faults and barely brings anything substantially new to the table."

From that Saudi review. I'm wondering if they made it to, you know...anywhere in the game?

Well, this piqued my curiosity. Steph could be perfectly sarcastic here, but their review may still be worth a read.

Their review of BotW had a few mistakes that made me question if they really didn't put attention on the game (like saying that non completed shrines didn't work as fast travel points) but it was well written aside of that. The way they've been handling the aftermath for years is what soured me on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please familiarise yourself with our review thread guidelines before posting. Ignoring them may result in a threadban. You can find them here.
https://famiboards.com/threads/review-thread-conduct-policy.6015/

Any spoiler elements not covered in reviews is considered off limits for discussion.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom