• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club The Legend of Arlo Tears of the Influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean let's be completely honest though, people like you are the problem. Paper Mario went a new direction for seemingly no real reason, abandoning its RPG roots in the process: it underperformed critically, it underperformed commercially, and most people hated it. The more competent elements of the fanbase tried to suggest Nintendo return to the old style, and somehow found themselves in the crosshairs of the 'Nintendo are right at all costs' faction. The whole situation got so hysterical that now apparently the happy puppet guy on YouTube has become enemy number 1, which is fucking ridiculous (but also quite funny).

And, surprise surprise, as is ALWAYS the case, Nintendo themselves are now clearly in the process of deciding to return to the old style, meaning that the people who spent the last few years attacking anyone for an alternative opinion are going to be caught in no-mans-land, and they know it, hence the threads such as these. We saw exactly the same people throw a fit when Nintendo admitted the TOTK marketing was off. These are the people that would cheer on Nintendo were they to announce that they were planning on selling the Zelda or Metroid IP to Microsoft. There's literally nothing you can do except work around them and hope the new 7/10 2D platformer shuts them up for a while. At this point I actually think that's why Nintendo still release them.
LMAO.

1) Seemingly no real reason is not true. Paper Mario on the Wii was the best selling game out of all, whereas TTYD, in spite of fans claiming it's the second coming of Christ, was clearly a niche title.
2) It wasn't a suggestion. It was a mix of complaining, review-bombing, and outright paranoia. I will say in benefit of, um, "the more competent elements of the fanbase" that their wild ideas of Miyamoto being the mustache-twirling villain that single-handedly destroyed Paper Mario, or the rest of the conspiracy theories about Nintendo HATING Paper Mario and them specifically were hilarious.
3) The Origami King got good reviews and is the best selling Paper Mario game since Paper Mario on the Wii so, um, people did like it, and it did review well. Colour Spash reviewed well too.
4) A remake only indicates that they know there is nostalgia for a game, and they want to benefit from it. As others have mentioned, remaking Dark Moon does not mean that LM3 style is gone, and remaking Link's Awakening does not mean they're going back to it.
5) You are right, those who claimed Nintendo hated Paper Mario (and them specifically) and hated on "the new paper Mario" should probably reflect on their actions over the last years.
6) 2D Mario is good, actually.

I mean let's be completely honest though, people like you are the problem. Paper Mario went a new direction for seemingly no real reason, abandoning its RPG roots in the process: it underperformed critically, it underperformed commercially, and most people hated it. The more competent elements of the fanbase tried to suggest Nintendo return to the old style, and somehow found themselves in the crosshairs of the 'Nintendo are right at all costs' faction. The whole situation got so hysterical that now apparently the happy puppet guy on YouTube has become enemy number 1, which is fucking ridiculous (but also quite funny).

And, surprise surprise, as is ALWAYS the case, Nintendo themselves are now clearly in the process of deciding to return to the old style, meaning that the people who spent the last few years attacking anyone for an alternative opinion are going to be caught in no-mans-land, and they know it, hence the threads such as these. We saw exactly the same people throw a fit when Nintendo admitted the TOTK marketing was off. These are the people that would cheer on Nintendo were they to announce that they were planning on selling the Zelda or Metroid IP to Microsoft. There's literally nothing you can do except work around them and hope the new 7/10 2D platformer shuts them up for a while. At this point I actually think that's why Nintendo still release them.
This post probably hit a bingo somehow somewhere.

LMAO.

1) Seemingly no real reason is not true. Paper Mario on the Wii was the best selling game out of all, whereas TTYD, in spite of fans claiming it's the second coming of Christ, was clearly a niche title.
2) It wasn't a suggestion. It was a mix of complaining, review-bombing, and outright paranoia. I will say in benefit of, um, "the more competent elements of the fanbase" that their wild ideas of Miyamoto being the mustache-twirling villain that single-handedly destroyed Paper Mario, or the rest of the conspiracy theories about Nintendo HATING Paper Mario and them specifically were hilarious.
3) The Origami King got good reviews and is the best selling Paper Mario game since Paper Mario on the Wii so, um, people did like it, and it did review well. Colour Spash reviewed well too.
4) A remake only indicates that they know there is nostalgia for a game, and they want to benefit from it. As others have mentioned, remaking Dark Moon does not mean that LM3 style is gone, and remaking Link's Awakening does not mean they're going back to it.
5) You are right, those who claimed Nintendo hated Paper Mario (and them specifically) and hated on "the new paper Mario" should probably reflect on their actions over the last years.
6) 2D Mario is good, actually.

Super Paper Mario shifting gears on Wii wasn't the worst thing in the world: a lot of people liked that game and it obviously did quite well on a wildly successful platform. The problem wasn't even necessarily Nintendo learning the wrong lessons continuing down that road by producing games such as Sticker Star and Colour Splash, which were critical disasters and didn't at all help their respective platforms. It's the fact that Nintendo persisted with the now not-at-all-new formula that has only grown stagnant and never fully managed to exceed the glory of the original design, which, until now, was never given a chance to succeed on a healthy platform.

I think we all know how well TTYD is going to do on Switch, and, ultimately, what that means for the future of the series. Contemporary Paper Mario, I imagine, will go the way of the Mario and Luigi series: a series that refused to change until the bitter end.

As someone who is a fan of Sticker Star, no, I will talk shit about Arlo because I'm tired of being the fucking bad guy to an insane set of PM fans. I'm sorry Sticker Star is not the game you want. It doesn't excuse a near full decade of abuse that he refuses to acknowledge and even claim its fake. It was so bad I cannot even be happy about the damn TTYD announcement because of how worse its going to get. So no, I will talk shit about him all I want.

I mean let's be completely honest though, people like you are the problem.

Wow, you sure showed them!

I love SPM, but comparing SPM to TTYD is pointless, because one was on of the most successful consoles ever and the other had the opposite situation.
Context matters, look at how insane Wii U games are selling on the Switch.

Super Paper Mario shifting gears on Wii wasn't the worst thing in the world: a lot of people liked that game and it obviously did quite well on a wildly successful platform. The problem wasn't even necessarily Nintendo learning the wrong lessons continuing down that road by producing games such as Sticker Star and Colour Splash, which were critical disasters and didn't at all help their respective platforms. It's the fact that Nintendo persisted with the now not-at-all-new formula that has only grown stagnant and never fully managed to exceed the glory of the original design, which, until now, was never given a chance to succeed on a healthy platform.

I think we all know how well TTYD is going to do on Switch, and, ultimately, what that means for the future of the series. Contemporary Paper Mario, I imagine, will go the way of the Mario and Luigi series: a series that refused to change until the bitter end.
1. My friend, having +75 Metacritic scores isn't exactly a critical disaster
2. This point isn't exactly good because you cannot compare a series to a specific era of another series. If we were to make the comparison fair, Mario and Luigi kept itself stagnant in gameplay while Paper Mario changed.

. The more competent elements of the fanbase tried to suggest Nintendo return to the old style, and somehow found themselves in the crosshairs of the 'Nintendo are right at all costs' faction.
“People who agree with me are the only competent ones, while people who don’t agree with me are bootlickers”

Really convincing stuff here folks.

I made a thread on resetara about Chuggaconroy criticising Sticker Star and the modern fans on there got really heated about the guy in question. Some even calling him out for having too much negative content, despite those videos being some of the few critique videos on his channel.

Alot of modern fans just really don't like it when you don't like/criticize the stickerstar trilogy.
I love Chuggaconroy and have been watching his LPs for over a decade.

He is unquestionably obsessed with dunking on Sticker Star, especially the past few years. Just go look at his Twitter reaction to TTYD HD’s announcement - he immediately celebrates by buying a shovel and burying a copy of Sticker Star in his yard.

Even Metroid fans aren’t that bad about other M.

We saw exactly the same people throw a fit when Nintendo admitted the TOTK marketing was off. These are the people that would cheer on Nintendo were they to announce that they were planning on selling the Zelda or Metroid IP to Microsoft. There's literally nothing you can do except work around them and hope the new 7/10 2D platformer shuts them up for a while. At this point I actually think that's why Nintendo still release them.
The whole post is bad and makes me wonder if you, like, forgot what Twitter looks like and accidentaly made an engagement-bait post on the wrong site, but this part is particularly funny to me because it just flat out reads like "months later he is still mad that internet people disagreed with him on bideogame advertising to the point he tries to bring up that in an entirely unrelated topic".

I mean, there are bigger reasons to be bitter about Other M (and I actually want an Other M remakester) than about SS and yet TTYD fans are the most annoying of the bunch (as shown in comments in this same page).

About the sales of this remaster, yeah, things are not going to go well for discussions once that it doesn't sell as much as TTYD fans wish/hope.

I love Chuggaconroy and have been watching his LPs for over a decade.

He is unquestionably obsessed with dunking on Sticker Star, especially the past few years. Just go look at his Twitter reaction to TTYD HD’s announcement - he immediately celebrates by buying a shovel and burying a copy of Sticker Star in his yard.

This is a bad comparison for a few reasons

1) Nintendo didn't make more games like Other M or put out interviews doubling down on it's direction for the ip

2) The Metroid game fans lost their shit over was Federation Force, people would have needed to buy it for people to be able to bury it

3) There are very few people defending Other M (or Federation Force) online and saying they should continue making games in that style. There are a lot more people who defend modern PM which is why threads on the subject get so ugly

Let people be passionate about the things they love or hate. Scott hates Chibi Robo Zip Lash enough to buy up dozens of copies to throw them in a toilet, Chugga hates Sticker Star enough to bury it, RLM hates Star Wars fans enough to buy up a ton of star wars toys and melt them in acetone. If you don't enjoy watching people destroy things, don't watch them.

I don't even know where to start but let me just say the last 2D mario platformer has an 84 on metacritic and it's rerelease on switch has an 80

there is no reason to think wonder will be a 7/10

Lmao.

Let people be passionate about the things they love or hate. Scott hates Chibi Robo Zip Lash enough to buy up dozens of copies to throw them in a toilet, Chugga hates Sticker Star enough to bury it, RLM hates Star Wars fans enough to buy up a ton of star wars toys and melt them in acetone. If you don't enjoy watching people destroy things, don't watch them.
In that vein, let people criticize content creators for incorporating repetitive performative bashing of decade-old games into their online personas, particularly if said people enjoy most of their other work and therefore are reluctant to simply “not watch them.”

This thread has been framed in a bad way from the very start, has not led to productive discussion, and has run its course. And therefore, we are locking it.

In the future, when discussing the merits of any series on Fami, please strive to be more kind to each other.

- Irene, xghost777, PixelKnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom