• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club The Legend of Arlo Tears of the Influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y'all can't talk shid about Arlo now. Sesame Street got Miyamoto by the balls.
As long as his video stays up about how the developers made Origami King 'bad' specifically to spite 'real paper mario fans', I'll talk all the shit I want. I like most of his work, but nah, he gets called out for stupid stuff like that.

I have never watched Arlo and I am forcibly confronted with his existence in online Nintendo discussion for some reason

I feel like Arlo can't take this as a win considering he was absolutely sure it would never happen "because Nintendo". He drank the Mario mandate kool-aid pretty hard.
I still can’t believe that has actually become a thing due to some many people parroting it like it describes anything other then whatever the user wants.

Arlo is around the same age group that Nintendo’s marketing throwback is trying to appeal to aka the late GameCube slash early Wii era. Wait til you see Nintendo go to the 3DS for its remake stuff with shit like a new Steel Diver. Now that will be weird.

As long as his video stays up about how the developers made Origami King 'bad' specifically to spite 'real paper mario fans', I'll talk all the shit I want. I like most of his work, but nah, he gets called out for stupid stuff like that.
Iirc, that same video begins by talking about the good aspects of that game and clarifying that he was going to launch into an overly nitpicky/critical rant about every little thing he didn't like, and that he was ok with people liking it and not wanting to hear him yelling at the clouds.

I could be making that up, but it's how I recall it. And for that reason, I don't really hold much of what he said about ToK against him. We all have our stuff we get antsy about.

Arlo is around the same age group that Nintendo’s marketing throwback is trying to appeal to aka the late GameCube slash early Wii era. Wait til you see Nintendo go to the 3DS for its remake stuff with shit like a new Steel Diver. Now that will be weird.

He's actually more in the late SNES - early Gamecube age bracket as far as nostalgia goes, he's like mid-30s. I think he mostly just has fondness for Gamecube-early Wii since he was most enthusiastic about gaming as a teenager and young adult.

This. Be parrots dumb shit like this all the time and it drives me insane.

Especially because Origami King is my favorite one.

Iirc, that same video begins by talking about the good aspects of that game and clarifying that he was going to launch into an overly nitpicky/critical rant about every little thing he didn't like, and that he was ok with people liking it and not wanting to hear him yelling at the clouds.

I could be making that up, but it's how I recall it. And for that reason, I don't really hold much of what he said about ToK against him. We all have our stuff we get antsy about.
Yeah I don't watch their content that much outside of his PM vids so maybe I'm missing something, but their negative takes are so banal and mundane compared to the rest of what accounts for YouTube video game critique that I dunno if the people who get really really angry over him not liking stuff are just sheltered from what actual spiteful video game takes look like or are just annoyed he has a different opinion to them.

This feels like a general thing too with his stuff, it's really weird when you consider how many people will just casually call for devs to lose their jobs over not liking a game from them and the blue puppet man saying he did/didn't like something is what attracts a noticeable hatedom.

As someone who is a fan of Sticker Star, no, I will talk shit about Arlo because I'm tired of being the fucking bad guy to an insane set of PM fans. I'm sorry Sticker Star is not the game you want. It doesn't excuse a near full decade of abuse that he refuses to acknowledge and even claim its fake. It was so bad I cannot even be happy about the damn TTYD announcement because of how worse its going to get. So no, I will talk shit about him all I want.

This and the other 'this game looks like shit' jerk reaction threads to TTYD are becoming a trend lmao. Wonder what take the next one will go with!
Wouldn’t be shocked to see something about how with this & SMRPG selling well it would help steer, or force, Nintendo back in a more “preferable” direction for the series so that it can regain its former glory from the travesty it has become.
I’ve been seeing that sentiment quite a bit today & only a matter of time especially as we get close to game release to predict how much they are gonna sell + when the first numbers come out for them.

Wouldn’t be shocked to see something about how with this & SMRPG selling well it would help steer, or force, Nintendo back in a more “preferable” direction for the series so that it can regain its former glory from the travesty it has become.
I’ve been seeing that sentiment quite a bit today & only a matter of time especially as we get close to game release to predict how much they are gonna sell + when the first numbers come out for them.
Ideally game sales shouldn't matter when it comes to game direction, or at least shouldn't become a measuring contest where one game is 'better' than the other because it sold more/less but yeah you're probably right unfortunately.

Yeah I don't watch their content that much outside of his PM vids so maybe I'm missing something, but their negative takes are so banal and mundane compared to the rest of what accounts for YouTube video game critique that I dunno if the people who get really really angry over him not liking stuff are just sheltered from what actual spiteful video game takes look like or are just annoyed he has a different opinion to them.

This feels like a general thing too with his stuff, it's really weird when you consider how many people will just casually call for devs to lose their jobs over not liking a game from them and the blue puppet man saying he did/didn't like something is what attracts a noticeable hatedom.

I'll never understand the hatred for Arlo tbh.
Because of threads like this. Arlo has managed to become a mascot to the subculture for a number of franchises to the point that a discussion about news for those franchises can't happen without someone making it all about Arlo. His fans keep forcing him into the conversation which will increase the antipathy compared to someone who can be ignored and forgotten.

This is compounded by the anti-Miyamoto narrative that accompanies Arlo and the Arlo fandom these days as seen in the OP. The vast majority will pick Miyamoto over Arlo.

Because of threads like this. Arlo has managed to become a mascot to the subculture for a number of franchises to the point that a discussion about news for those franchises can't happen without someone making it all about Arlo. His fans keep forcing him into the conversation which will increase the antipathy compared to someone who can be ignored and forgotten.
Which is fair enough, I guess I'm not engaging with other game series he's religiously into to really notice much beyond this thread being an outlier. Is that entirely Arlo's fault though, unless I guess the argument is that they should call out their own audience more?

Well arlos feasting this year. MP1R, all the Pikmin he can hold, mario RPG and now even paper Mario.

I feel like there are 3 groups:
People that are really nostalgic for GC/ those games/remasters, people who never had the chance to play those game... and those like me who don't get excited about experiences they already hab (and could boot up any time with 20 minutes of digging for the right power cord).

This is compounded by the anti-Miyamoto narrative that accompanies Arlo and the Arlo fandom these days as seen in the OP. The vast majority will pick Miyamoto over Arlo.
If this is your reaction to a tongue in cheek joke thread about a blue Muppet enjoying video games then you should probably go outside and touch some grass.

Also, there is no "anti-Miyamoto" narrative in the OP especially when Arlo is a YouTube influencer and enjoys Jim Henson Muppets just as much as Miyamoto does.

I just realized how much I'd love a legit Muppets game with the Henson team's involvement. Can't even think of what genre they could fit into but if they nailed the satirical humor and got the felt textures just right it could be one for the ages.

Yall I'd seriously be down for this, not even joking.

Arlo's just some guy on YouTube with a memorable schtick. Unfortunately, that schtick made him popular enough that he seems to have singlehandedly started at least one cult, intentionally or not.

I consider him at the least kind of an irresponsible idiot who has the power to create these movements and no idea what he's talking about, which is not a great combination.

Ideally game sales shouldn't matter when it comes to game direction, or at least shouldn't become a measuring contest where one game is 'better' than the other because it sold more/less but yeah you're probably right unfortunately.
It shouldn’t matter but when they’ve been clamoring to “fix” the franchise for ages & now being given ammunition to “fix” it. It reminds me of XCDE v. XC2.

honestly Chuggaconroy is far worse than Arlo about this and he has been around for much longer too

Last edited:
The problem I have with Arlo is not the problem that I think most people have with him, which is that they don't like his negativity and criticism. My problem with Arlo is that he doesn't say anything. I'm not going to say that his old videos were great, because they weren't. But if you go back to around 2016 / 2017 when his channel was first getting big, he made very clear concise points for why he did or did not like something. Now you watch an Arlo video and half of it is him saying "that's a topic for another video!" and a point given once every 5 minutes, in a 20-30 minute video. And his points are usually bad to begin with, with terrible justifications for his takes. Also his specific need for games to be filled with lots of quantity of content, and his love for Pikmin 2, has been a disaster for the human race.

I will say that his Paper Mario "Mario committee" takes get a lot of flack on here, which I don't entirely understand. I remember reading a lot of the articles talked about and they did pretty much say newer Paper Mario did have restrictions at the time? If someone would like to explain (kindly, I don't have a rat in this race and am not an oldschool Paper Mario fan) I'd love to hear it.

The problem I have with Arlo is not the problem that I think most people have with him, which is that they don't like his negativity and criticism. My problem with Arlo is that he doesn't say anything. I'm not going to say that his old videos were great, because they weren't. But if you go back to around 2016 / 2017 when his channel was first getting big, he made very clear concise points for why he did or did not like something. Now you watch an Arlo video and half of it is him saying "that's a topic for another video!" and a point given once every 5 minutes, in a 20-30 minute video. And his points are usually bad to begin with, with terrible justifications for his takes. Also his specific need for games to be filled with lots of quantity of content, and his love for Pikmin 2, has been a disaster for the human race.

I will say that his Paper Mario "Mario committee" takes get a lot of flack on here, which I don't entirely understand. I remember reading a lot of the articles talked about and they did pretty much say newer Paper Mario did have restrictions at the time? If someone would like to explain (kindly, I don't have a rat in this race and am not an oldschool Paper Mario fan) I'd love to hear it.

I have noticed the things you're bringing up, I feel like Arlo has become less of a channel where he properly criticizes games and more of a channel where he kinda rambles about stuff. I think it's the result of his videos being less scripted, because doing several unscripted ramble-y videos is a better model in terms of YT monetization than writing a focused script. If you watch the entirety of the scope of the videos he puts out you can get the gist of what his takes are, but the relevant points/video length ratio is pretty low. I still enjoy his stuff but I'll admit there's a level of parasocial interaction going on there because he does seem like someone I would be friends with irl (down to him having similar non-gaming interests as some of my irl friends and him having grown up in a similar region as me), so I just kind of enjoy hearing him ramble while I'm working on something menial.

The exception to this are his proper reviews which I think are about as focused as his old content was. His Pikmin 1 review in particular is probably the best thing he's done imo.

Y'all can't talk shid about Arlo now. Sesame Street got Miyamoto by the balls.
I actually hope it's him who stops talking shit.

Here, you have your wish, literally TTYD, now stop talking about how Nintendo doesn't care about Paper Mario because they don't do what you want them to do.

thats about how i see him. i dont have anything personally against him, except that sometimes he seems to put his opinion on a high horse without really substantiating it, but overall, its just so rambly and a guy talking without a cler point about stuff he likes and doesnt like.

That definitely was less so in the beginning where i actually thought "ok, a new take on the make videos about Nintendo content" thing with the puppet.

A good content creator to me has 2 facets: the creator, and the (quality of the) content.

one of those has to be really really special to get over the second lacking.
And with arlo, i feel like the content aspect is not really there.
No scripting production values, research. Or lets say: not much scripting,
or if there is much, is does not seem like it, at least compared to his earlier output.

(I was subscribed, then i unsubscribed, but youtube still gives me his videos when a direct or something like it happens, and i try to check what he has released in the last months, and always come to the same conclusion, thats why i still post in arlo topics)

I'm happy if this means he'll stop whining. But he probably won't, because that drives the clicks.

Remember when Arlo said with a straight face that Nintendo spent millions of dollars and years of development time to make a game just to piss off TTYD fans? To this day the single most delusional take ever said by a gaming youtuber.

I mean you can literally group the Fire Emblem, Metroid and F-Zero fanbase into this comment after today's Direct.

Metroid and, particularly, Fire Emblem fanbases, are so well fed their complaints read like sarcasm. I can understand the F-Zero fanbase, but 99 is fucking brilliant, it's not a dubious until you try it game like Federation Force.

And yes, they remind me a lot to Arlo. It's all F-Zero GX or burst. I'm pretty sure that if F-Zero 99 had X or GX graphics somehow it wouldn't be getting so much flak

Meanwhile i'm enjoying it like there's no tomorrow.

Everything I have seen of Arlo so far makes me think he's... just a person. He likes some games, he is not into some other games, he has opinions. He put on the muppet mask and gained a platform on YouTube, but he doesn't really have any insights or is wiser than your average Nintendo fan.

I'm personally happy he got the game he wanted, just like I'd be for anyone else. I don't think I can hate him for having different opinions or liking different things. He's just... a person. He can have that.

Arlo is fine, I’m subscribed to his channel and watch his stuff. I’m just very critical of him for when he veers into weirdly conspiratorial takes like the aforementioned “The Devs acted out of spite” or “Miyamoto actively hates narratives” because he’s influential enough that the GameCuber crowd or just general negative fans take the messages to heart or use them as a rallying cry to justify their own shitty behavior.

Metroid and, particularly, Fire Emblem fanbases, are so well fed their complaints read like sarcasm. I can understand the F-Zero fanbase, but 99 is fucking brilliant, it's not a dubious until you try it game like Federation Force.

And yes, they remind me a lot to Arlo. It's all F-Zero GX or burst. I'm pretty sure that if F-Zero 99 had X or GX graphics somehow it wouldn't be getting so much flak

Meanwhile i'm enjoying it like there's no tomorrow.
I mean, Metroid fans are doing fine, im not sure "well fed" is the right wording, but they are doing fine for sure. Fire Emblem for sure is fine. But in regards to the 99 takes... it can be a good game on its own, but at the same time not even close to what people want from an F-Zero. Especially not a modern one.
Its the same with Tetris Fans (assuming no other tetris was on switch), or mario fans if Mario35 if mario was dead for a whole. Its a nice bonus, but its not a replacement.

and federation force had way more subsstance, it was just the wrong game at the wrong time. That argument could work here to.

(btw tried 99, its fun. im not a f-zero "fan", more a causal. i dont have a stake in this topic)
Everything I have seen of Arlo so far makes me think he's... just a person. He likes some games, he is not into some other games, he has opinions. He put on the muppet mask and gained a platform on YouTube, but he doesn't really have any insights or is wiser than your average Nintendo fan.

I'm personally happy he got the game he wanted, just like I'd be for anyone else. I don't think I can hate him for having different opinions or liking different things. He's just... a person. He can have that.
thats... pretty much it. only that he has an sizable audience.
Y'all act like you haven't said any dumb shit before. Arlo said a few dumb things. That's it.
well, if i say a dumb thing, a handful of people read/hear it, if arlo does, thousands of fans are like "you're totally right, they are at fault!". i think there is a slight difference.

But the hate he gets from some is ridiculous.

I think the reason Arlo specifically gets so much hate is mostly because his talking points are used as fuel for an internet war. He'd be an ignorable YouTuber with a weird gimmick otherwise, but Paper Mario discourse of all things has become very Star Wars-esque (without the bigotry [I hope]) with the level of toxicity thrown around over a kids franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom