• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic The Game Awards 2021 |ST| Rocket League Sideswipe was robbed

It felt like another way for Nintendo to "control the narrative," Can't have 'Nintendo Employees' making potential fuck-ups on stage like thanking their families and co-workers when an executive can do the right thing and talk about the "exciting adventure into Planet ZDR with dynamic combat and impressive graphics."

Overall Nintendo just feels a bit too soulless nowadays even if their games haven't changed all that much. But that's a bit of a downer and I need to go to sleep anyway so good night, everyone! :)
Mercury Steam is been in the spotlight for not crediting employees when Dread Release. And for bad workplace environment.

Not sure they would go to a show where it’s suppose to be about the game devs. As I recall. They still haven’t put some devs that helped on Dread on the credits.

just going to skim through Nibel's Game Awards thread and pick out things I think are interesting for the recap in the OP

…It Takes Two?

Immediate edit: I have to think that It Takes Two got so many votes so Josef Fares had a moment to ramble on stage. I haven’t played it and I’m sure it’s good but wtf?
Haven't even played it and you're calling into question a great game, praised left and right for months, by a decently well known auteur, winning GOTY? To the point where you'd sooner suggest a conspiracy theory like people voting for it to see the director pop off on stage? Come on now, no need to disrespect it

That February Direct is about to be a full-blown banger

What do you think is the percentage chance we see BOTW 2 there before E3?

I've not been paying attention. Why were people so sure Chrono Cross was going to show up?

I don't see many rumours with this many people confident of it being real.

I've not been paying attention. Why were people so sure Chrono Cross was going to show up?

I don't see many rumours with this many people confident of it being real.
Trusting insiders + there's a lot of smoke around the game recently.

My take aways:

Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak is something I know I'll play so I'm glad it looks like development is going well.
Sonic is basically exactly what I thought it would be, both in film and game. Odds are I won't pick up the game since I don't like 3D Sonic usually.
Hellblade 2 and Horizon Forbidden West look gorgeous and fine, but I just don't have interest in playing them.
Star Wars Eclipse had my interest, but apparently Quantum Dream is problematic.
Cuphead DLC is confirmed to exist.
Dune RTS could be cool, the old ones were really good.
Wonder Woman is a wait and see.
Everything else is kind of just blurring together for me. All in all, nothing too memorable for me.

That February Direct is about to be a full-blown banger

What do you think is the percentage chance we see BOTW 2 there before E3?
It’s either there or at E3. It’s hard to choose tbh. Because Nintendo could wait until E3 to do a full blowout with a ton of segments. Or they could show it in February and lock down the 2022 release and title.

Which other abusers did Nintendo allow to go up there?
By "They" I mean't the Game Awards, but I think Nintendo's choice to have Bowser go up is perfectly described here:

It felt like another way for Nintendo to "control the narrative," Can't have 'Nintendo Employees' making potential fuck-ups on stage like thanking their families and co-workers when an executive can do the right thing and talk about the "exciting adventure into Planet ZDR with dynamic combat and impressive graphics."

Overall Nintendo just feels a bit too soulless nowadays even if their games haven't changed all that much. But that's a bit of a downer and I need to go to sleep anyway so good night, everyone! :)

Mercury Steam is been in the spotlight for not crediting employees when Dread Release. And for bad workplace environment.

Not sure they would go to a show where it’s suppose to be about the game devs. As I recall. They still haven’t put some devs that helped on Dread on the credits.
I can accept that but the speech itself felt so much like a marketing dialogue and not, well, a reward speech. No mention of Sakamoto (who should have been the one if MS definitely couldn’t accept it), the fans, or even really the series as a whole, but there was definitely mentions of “the exciting world of ZDR,” as if the game wasn’t being advertised enough with the award already.

But either way I’m not gonna get into a big argument about a small criticism I have of modern Nintendo. Really not worth it lol

I can accept that but the speech itself felt so much like a marketing dialogue and not, well, a reward speech. No mention of Sakamoto (who should have been the one if MS definitely couldn’t accept it), the fans, or even really the series as a whole, but there was definitely mentions of “the exciting world of ZDR,” as if the game wasn’t being advertised enough with the award already.

But either way I’m not gonna get into a big argument about a small criticism I have of modern Nintendo. Really not worth it lol
How is your criticism valid in this damn situation if they didn’t allow employee abusers to come collect a trophy when they still haven’t credit people who worked on the game? Doug will go say his whatever jargon that no one cares about. Better than allowing MS (because they did say he put out an internal memo on this Activision like situation)

Happy I decided to not really pay much attention this year and leave it on in the background while playing SMT4 and Dota. Biggest takeaway yet again is that this isn't about celebrating the best games of the year. I'd like to think there's a nice balance that could be struck between honoring what the medium put forward this year and also showing people some nice cool reveals and trailers for the future, but that balance is very far from what The Game Awards currently puts forth. It's a tacky show.

The Announcements
  • Tunic release date trailer
  • Homeworld 3 gameplay trailer
  • The Expanse: A Telltale Series reveal trailer
  • Babylon's Fall release date trailer
  • Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak trailer
  • Evil West gameplay trailer
  • Persona 4 Arena Ultimax re-release reveal trailer
  • Senua's Saga: Hellblade II gameplay demo
  • Star Wars: Eclipse reveal trailer
  • Wonder Woman teaser trailer (by Monolith Productions)
  • Alan Wake II announcement trailer
  • Horizon Forbidden West trailer
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake: Integrade Epic Games Store release date trailer
  • Slitterhead reveal trailer (Bokeh Game Studio)
  • Nightingale reveal trailer
  • PUBG Battlegrounds F2P announcement trailer
  • Somerville trailer
  • Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course (alleged) release date trailer
  • Sonic Frontiers gameplay trailer
  • Tchia trailer
  • Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League gameplay trailer
  • Forspoken release date trailer
  • Warhammer 40K Space Marine II reveal trailer
  • Saints Row (2022) trailer
  • DUNE Spice Wars reveal trailer
  • Among Us VR reveal trailer
  • A Plague Tale: Requiem gameplay trailer
  • Crossfire X release date trailer
  • Elden Ring story trailer
  • ARC Raiders gameplay trailer
  • The Matrix Awakens "gameplay" trailer

Y'all need to put some respect on Alan Wake's name.

Remedy could help by releasing Alan Wake Remastered on Switch though.

Calm down. I didn’t even watch the show. Just mentioning how scummy Mercury Steam have been regarding crediting devs. In a show were its suppose to be about devs. From what I read, the show didn’t try too much to not put problematic folks onstage. So I guess it defeated the purpose.

It’s possible nobody wanted to fly out from Japan for this show. 3 hours of you life and then flight to and from. I think the only time Nintendo did that was for when Mario Odyssey and BOTW were nominated. Never again, Sakurai wasn’t even there for Smash.

If you want to see actual devs talking. You’ll need to look elsewhere. Dice awards are pretty good, but since it’s really about the devs and not reveals. Nobody cares.

Calm down. I didn’t even watch the show. Just mentioning how scummy Mercury Steam have been regarding crediting devs. In a show were its suppose to be about devs. From what I read, the show didn’t try too much to not put problematic folks onstage. So I guess it defeated the purpose.

It’s possible nobody wanted to fly out from Japan for this show. 3 hours of you life and then flight to and from. I think the only time Nintendo did that was for when Mario Odyssey and BOTW were nominated. Never again, Sakurai wasn’t even there for Smash.

If you want to see actual devs talking. You’ll need to look elsewhere. Dice awards are pretty good, but since it’s really about the devs and not reveals. Nobody cares.
Sorry if I seemed angry - it wasn’t my intention and I’m mostly just very, very tied right now. As I said, I don’t really want to go into a big back-and-forth about it so I’m gonna try get to sleep.

I thought Ori was done dirty last year. I didn’t think it could get worse! Alas, Psychonauts 2. Pour one out.

I watched to the end and then left for dinner. I think this year’s show was the worst for showing and highlighting the awards. Either Geoff needs to split this into two separate shows, an awards show and a trailers show, or he needs to really cut down on the amount of trailers. I don’t think I remember 25% of what I just watched. Nothing got highlighted well here as it all just blended together.

Super pumped for Persona 4 Arena Ultimax coming to Switch and Alan Wake 2 and also a good deal excited for the Cuphead DLC and Forspoken (despite it having another meh trailer).

As for the end, The Matrix looked neat, the orchestra medley was good, and even though I didn’t play it and I voted for Dread, I’m glad It Takes Two won just for Farres’ reaction.

The real winner of The Game Awards was Sonic the Hedgehog. The movie trailer was great and Sonic Frontiers is still in the cautiously optimistic stage of the Sonic Cycle so he had a good night.

Switch getting the spinoff "sequels" to mainline Persona games but not the actual mainline Persona games themselves is hilarious. Sad, but hilarious. That said, I never got around to playing the original release of P4Arena Ultimax so I'll be grabbing the re-release when it comes out.

Cuphead DLC looked cool, and I loved the use of puppets and miniatures for that vintage newsreel style trailer.

From what was shown tonight, that's pretty much all that I really cared about.

Haven't even played it and you're calling into question a great game, praised left and right for months, by a decently well known auteur, winning GOTY? To the point where you'd sooner suggest a conspiracy theory like people voting for it to see the director pop off on stage? Come on now, no need to disrespect it
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks there's no need for conspiracy theories. It Takes Two was excellent, that's likely all there is to it.

*looking at announcements

Hoo boy, that’s a lot of nothing. Alan Wake 2 is cool I guess.

Well, I’m glad I didn’t stay up for it. Nothing interesting for me personally, except the Cuphead DLC which I’ll give a miss anyway because I feel done with the base game. Congratulations to all the winners, though!

Yeah seems like I made the correct call to bail after Sonic. I got Alan Wake 2 confirmed which has been a long term dream at least, but from what I can see while catching up, there wasn't a whole lot else. Don't think I'll be investing enough to stay up late for these going forward, the one or two good announcements are just not worth it at my end.

Interesting Nintendo was pretty much a no-show. First time in a long time they've done this with the Game Awards right?

Haven't played It Takes Two so can't comment on whether it's a worthy winner or not, but it's a nice change from the usual winners. Glad Metroid nabbed best Action Adventure at least, and cool the Guardians of the Galaxy got best narrative, from what I've played it deserves it.

I skipped the show but a quick search shows that Keighley did indeed address workplace abuse in the beginning and stress on the fact that he wants to dedicate the show to the developers. Given his position, I think he deserves credit for that, but it's a bit dissappointing that he still sticks to the practice of giving awards in the pre-show, and some are given off-screen without giving the developers some screentime as a form of recognition ...

Glad I skipped it and slept instead, would have been a very anticlimactic based on my tastes,

Have caught up on a few trailers and I cannot wait to play Tchia and Planet of Lana when they come out (hopefully) next year. Plague Tale Requiem also looks pretty tight, loved the first game so hopefully this'll improve upon it nicely.

I skipped the show but a quick search shows that Keighley did indeed address workplace abuse in the beginning and stress on the fact that he wants to dedicate the show to the developers. Given his position, I think he deserves credit for that, but it's a bit dissappointing that he still sticks to the practice of giving awards in the pre-show, and some are given off-screen without giving the developers some screentime as a form of recognition ...
Good to see that Keighley addressed it - shame that they still showcased a trailer for a Quantic Dream game shortly afterwards...

So is it just me that thinks this shirt is a tease/troll from Kojima?

lol @ kena winning best indie. this is by far the lowest scoring indie game to win the award, with past winners being shovel knight, rocket league, inside, cuphead, celeste, disco elysium, and hades. you're going from some of the best reviewed games of all time to that.

lol @ kena winning best indie. this is by far the lowest scoring indie game to win the award, with past winners being shovel knight, rocket league, inside, cuphead, celeste, disco elysium, and hades. you're going from some of the best reviewed games of all time to that.
At least 12 Minutes didn't win I suppose

Woke up a little while ago after I fell hard asleep the minute Fares went off stage.

I had low expectations so I wasn't disappointed. Nintendo seemingly only brought Sunbreak, but I'm fine with that.

I'll say that it was all worth it for the new Elden Ring trailer. Phenomenal. But otherwise yeah .. too many unmotivated ads, too many awards glazed over, the usual stuff... I really only liked the musical performances. The Cuphead song was fire, and the Dread melody in the final arrangement likewise. And Imagine Dragons was welcome, I love them. The Matrix showcase was visually stunning too.

What's wrong with square, another game in march... triangle strategy, ff origin and now babylon's fall.

Back
Top Bottom