• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

The Future of Final Fantasy, discussion thread

Rebirth seems like a pretty significant step into the right direction in terms of gameplay, world structure and variety but is almost assuredly held back by being a sequel, a partial remake, not really a remake, and part of a convoluted multimedia compilation of media spanning close to three decades. If you aren't already part of the core target audience for it, it looks extremely uninviting and I feel they were never able to shake off this image. I constantly see people even in enthusiast spaces who believe that you first need to play several games and watch a movie for Rebirth to make sense which seems like a pretty big marketing failure.
Would love to be a fly on the wall in the Square Enix offices when they approve the pitch "it's a remake but also a sequel and will be multiple AAA games." Even though I enjoy how the Remake trilogy is messing around with things, it just seems very impractical from a business sense. I can't see many other companies going for something like this nowadays.

I cannot post it because apparently I’m blocked by him, but Jeff Grub confirmed on Twitter that Pikmin 4 has sold more than Rebirth, which I wish were something I could show sales thread aficionados back in the 2000s.
The PS5 exclusivity was a really bad decision for Square Enix.

I mean, we don't know how much money Sony gave them. Maybe it was enough that the mediocre sales won't hurt them.

Hypothetically if Rebirth had the Switch install base, it would've ran Pikmin 4 into the ground.

It's one of the best selling games in February for US/UK so "bombed" would be pretty unlikely despite Square's frequent overestimations for their projections. Not every country mirrors Japan.
guess it being the best selling game of feb wasnt enough then. outsold by the titan of the industry pikmin lol.

Hopefully they can get a pc version of rebirth out sooner rather than later. It would help sales, I’d double dip, because I really enjoyed the game overall and would love to let it shine on my 4090

Yeah, it's too bad sales stopped after February.
.... the game dropped 89% in its second week in the U.K. ... and every other piece of tracking shows it having bad drops in other areas too
I get what you're saying, but using legs of all things for Rebirth is something. Especially since Ahmad's statement about being about 50% of Remake was about current figures.
Best hope for good legs is a good PC port coming out by the end of the year.

.... the game dropped 89% in its second week in the U.K. ... and every other piece of tracking shows it having bad drops in other areas too
I get what you're saying, but using legs of all things for Rebirth is something. Especially since Ahmad's statement about being about 50% of Remake was about current figures.
Best hope for good legs is a good PC port coming out by the end of the year.
Oh no, its immediate legs aren't looking great but OP's original assumption was that it "bombed," which is more what I was originally arguing against. If it didn't break even after February, it probably will at some point. But yeah, the PC port will be the best shot at reinvigorating the sales.

An episodic series has two points where it has a chance to be a big hit, the very beginning and when it's all finished, the middle is only going to draw in the hardcore long-tail players. Rebirth is an unfinished story at both ends, and they've been more up front about the fact that it's three games compared to when Remake was launching, which is good for the sake of transparency, but I imagine plenty of people hear that and decide they can simply wait until it's one complete full package. Not to mention some casual folks who don't closely follow this stuff may have been turned off completely when Remake ended how it did.

In short I do not think FF7 will be looked upon as a failure in the long run, but they have been spending the entire three and a half past console generations trying to figure out what the future of Final Fantasy should possibly look like, and I have a feeling they're not going to stop taking wild stabs. FF17 will probably be as different from 16 and 7R as they are from each other, but using them to inform their decisions.

and I have a feeling they're not going to stop taking wild stabs. FF17 will probably be as different from 16 and 7R as they are from each other, but using them to inform their decisions.
FINAL FANTASY XV, XVI and Remake/Rebirth should be enough barometers for Square to know what they have to do in order to make a nice FF game. There's no need to keep reinventing the wheel.

Re: Rebirth sales - the game has all triggers for it to not sell like a standalone game, which is a shame.

The moment they are on switch/2 I'm gonna buy them. Currently I'm not interested on ps5 for multiple reasons, and my notebook is to weak for newer games...but I don't really intend to upgrade it.

I probably am not representing a mass audience.

-----
Downsize the production, figure out a new mechanical base that works. Seems as if rebirth is a solid one.

I don't even know how to guess.
They got some things right with XVI, namely the char design and environments.
But the progress back to the roots needs to be much more robust, including turn-based battles.

Back
Top Bottom