• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Tales of Symphonia Remastered launching early 2023

Sadist

Mad Titan
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Announced at the Direct. Launching early in 2023.

Nothing known right now besides this. Will update with more news.

Last edited:
I wonder how this will differ from, say, the PS3 or PC versions. At a glance it didn't look like the graphics got a big glow-up aside from resolution. Maybe back to GameCube's 60fps?

Yeah, Bamco seems hellbent on giving Nintendo Symphonia, Dawn of the New World, Abyss and Vesperia.

If I were Bamco I would have released a Xillia collection or something.

Yeah, Bamco seems hellbent on giving Nintendo Symphonia, Dawn of the New World, Abyss and Vesperia.

If I were Bamco I would have released a Xillia collection or something.
Honestly wish we got Abyss instead of Symphonia lol. I just want to play it on a modern console and not my 3DS or PS2.

Yes! One of the highlights for me this Direct. Loved this game on the Cube. My uncle would even watch me play this. RIP.

Looks like the PS3 remaster to me.
Of all the Tales of I've ever played (Symphonia, Vesperia, Graces F, Xilia, the 3DS one which I forgot its name), it's the only one I ever liked (and I really really liked it) so I'm happy.

I was expecting it to come back very soon given its popularity, but I was expecting it to be a bit more shiny, not just a port (seemingly ?) of the PS3 remaster, but this will do. The chibi art style has always looked good for this game.

Day one! Haven't played this wonderful game for almost two decades now. Another GameCube game I can put a strike through.

Fantastic game, really hope it’s based off the GameCube version, but it looks like the PS2 version :/

I'm too used to playing the gamecube version, tried the Chronicles version, I just can't stand the framerate. Wish they would just give us a gamecube port, don't really find the extra stuff added to the PS2 version a good trade off. Least DotNW is not there, so that is a positive.

Symphonia is one of my favourite games, but I seriously doubt they've put in the work to make this worth a purchase. Ideally the battle framerate would be back up to 60, the character outlines would be restored, and the skits would be voiced. These are almost certainly not going to happen. The PC version will probably remain the version to play. It can't fix the framerate, but is able to address the visuals and make it so that the otherwise voiceless skits use the Japanese voices while everything else is in English.

Please be based on the best version

(Gamecube)

If it's an enhanced version of the PS4/X1/PC version, it's based on the PS2 version.

The good news is that the Gamecube version isn't too unreasonably priced used, it was actually going down in price pre-pandemic (though it shot back up), and is still less than this version.

This is great news, I'll take any old Tales ports. That said I kind of wish they'd gone with Abyss, Xillia, or Berseria, but this is a good start! We may get more.

Hope it sells well enough to warrant Tales of Rebirth remaster. that's one Tales game I still want to try.

I've never played a Tales of game, and always thought Symphonia would be a good entry to try, but it seems to be divisive even between Tales fans. With so many JRPG offerings these days, I'm not sure I want to commit to it

I've never played a Tales of game, and always thought Symphonia would be a good entry to try, but it seems to be divisive even between Tales fans. With so many JRPG offerings these days, I'm not sure I want to commit to it
Divisive? It’s the best selling and best reviewed game in the series (dunno about Arise and don’t care honestly). I feel like the Tales fanbase has pretty eccentric tastes at times as they either hype up games that never came out here or just hype whatever their favorite is in terms of story and characters. Symphonia is the first 3D one so the combat is a bit clunkier since it doesn’t have free run in battles. It’s still not enough of an issue to support the claims of it “not aging well”, you’re still looking at a game with a huge sense of scale. It’s basically a classic FF game with visible encounters, action combat that has Smash-ish controls, tons of sidequests and secret events as well as great dungeons with actual puzzles (best ones in the genre in my book). Now the one issue in retrospect that made it kind of gain this reputation as “overhyped by Gamecube owners that were starved for JRPGs” is that the first act of the game is very reminiscent of FFX. However, once you get to the shocking mid-game twist it very much becomes its own thing. The game pretty much scratches every possible itch in terms of what you want in a JRPG, its scale and variety actually carry its very long length. I played Abyss and Vesperia and while good (Abyss especially has a better story), they just don’t have Symphonia’s scope. I haven’t got around to the more modern entries yet but while the combat especially has been modernized, apparently the level design hasn’t and you don’t really get the dungeons and puzzles from Vesperia onwards, leading to the series having this reputation as the fast food of JRPGs. Symphonia is definitely worth playing as it’s pretty representative of how games in that era didn’t really cut corners, the dungeons alone make it stand out from your average modern JRPG

Divisive? It’s the best selling and best reviewed game in the series (dunno about Arise and don’t care honestly). I feel like the Tales fanbase has pretty eccentric tastes at times as they either hype up games that never came out here or just hype whatever their favorite is in terms of story and characters. Symphonia is the first 3D one so the combat is a bit clunkier since it doesn’t have free run in battles. It’s still not enough of an issue to support the claims of it “not aging well”, you’re still looking at a game with a huge sense of scale. It’s basically a classic FF game with visible encounters, action combat that has Smash-ish controls, tons of sidequests and secret events as well as great dungeons with actual puzzles (best ones in the genre in my book). Now the one issue in retrospect that made it kind of gain this reputation as “overhyped by Gamecube owners that were starved for JRPGs” is that the first act of the game is very reminiscent of FFX. However, once you get to the shocking mid-game twist it very much becomes its own thing. The game pretty much scratches every possible itch in terms of what you want in a JRPG, its scale and variety actually carry its very long length. I played Abyss and Vesperia and while good (Abyss especially has a better story), they just don’t have Symphonia’s scope. I haven’t got around to the more modern entries yet but while the combat especially has been modernized, apparently the level design hasn’t and you don’t really get the dungeons and puzzles from Vesperia onwards, leading to the series having this reputation as the fast food of JRPGs. Symphonia is definitely worth playing as it’s pretty representative of how games in that era didn’t really cut corners, the dungeons alone make it stand out from your average modern JRPG

Okay, thanks for the in depth answer! I do enjoy a well made old-school JRPG so that sounds right up my alley

Eeeh in general there are a lot of people who believe that Symphonia is still the best the series has to offer. I’ve played the majority of them (except for Graces and Arise, I still need to play the latter) and while Symphonia is the first one I’ve played, it’s still one of the best, maybe the best outing in the series.

If you want to try it, go for it. It might be a bit old fashioned, but it’s still fun. It has a great cast (which makes fun of RPG cliches at times), a fun scenario and a great battle system, even if Tales games that came after it have modernized/perfected it.

I don't get the hate that the sequel gets. I wish it was included because I love that game. It's a shame it's not included considering the HD port of that exists on PS3...

I don't get the hate that the sequel gets. I wish it was included because I love that game. It's a shame it's not included considering the HD port of that exists on PS3...
Its not hate so much, the base game is decent and the monster system pretty fun.

The story and cast though… Emil is horrible (I’m sorry etc.), Richter is the corniest dude ever, the other villains too, the old cast is a bit weird and Marta… hoo boy. Don’t get me started on her.

Tanebrae was fun though.

Confirmed to be the 30fps PS2 version. Bummer, but I appreciate them letting us know day one to plan effectively. Going to see if my GameCube discs still work and do a replay soon.

Confirmed to be the 30fps PS2 version. Bummer, but I appreciate them letting us know day one to plan effectively. Going to see if my GameCube discs still work and do a replay soon.

Interest dropped to -40.

Can't be releasing 30fps ports of 20 year old games and ask 40 bucks for it.

Interest dropped to -40.

Can't be releasing 30fps ports of 20 year old games and ask 40 bucks for it.
I feel that. I played the PS3 version for a bit and it doesn’t remotely feel like the same game :/ One of the harshest 60 fps vs 30 fps performances I’ve ever felt and I regularly never consider myself picky.

I feel that. I played the PS3 version for a bit and it doesn’t remotely feel like the same game :/ One of the harshest 60 fps vs 30 fps performances I’ve ever felt and I regularly never consider myself picky.
This... is actually the first time I've heard that the PS2/PS3 version was 30FPS vs 60, despite me having played both it and the Gamecube original. Huh. I don't remember it being much worse, if at all, but it has been years since I played it, was it that bad? I am historically pretty bad about noticing 60 vs 30, though. Or rather I guess I should say I tend to get used to one or the other very quickly.

This... is actually the first time I've heard that the PS2/PS3 version was 30FPS vs 60, despite me having played both it and the Gamecube original. Huh. I don't remember it being much worse, if at all, but it has been years since I played it, was it that bad? I am historically pretty bad about noticing 60 vs 30, though. Or rather I guess I should say I tend to get used to one or the other very quickly.
I'm in this camp too, the last time I played was on ps3 and didn't remember any difference with the GC version (and I played that version a lot) that made a lot of difference. Of course there was 10 years of difference between the 2 so maybe it's my memory, but I also have good muscle memory from games, I immediately noticed the lag in the MMX collection

Also the comparison they use int he page maybe it's not the best aside from the pallete, it looks less washed out

bFthgfM.jpg

It's super weird in the sense I usually never care, but for some reason it stood out to me strongly. Perhaps since I played through Symphonia three times when I got it since there were so few RPGs on the GameCube and I didn't really know growing up what I was missing out on elsewhere. I guess I just have a really engrained idea of what that game should feel like.

Whenever I make the time for my replay, I'll definitely write a post in the RPG thread and report with fresh findings.

Despite having played through the original game on GameCube, I wouldn't have much of an issue with the frame rate today. I'm now used to Tales of Vesperia that also runs at 30 FPS, so it's familiar despite the downgrade.

So you're taking the ps3 remaster... cutting the second game... making virtually no improvements... and trying to sell this for $40? Pound sand NB.

I loved this game, back in the GC days.
But man, it didn't age well at all.
Probably waiting for a review code (disappointing how Bamco is managing its latest HD ports, with Klonoa and Pacman and now this)
I can understand not going full remake, but a Xenoblade DE re-touch would be way more acceptable imho (I still need to check that Kirby remaster quality)

I'm in this camp too, the last time I played was on ps3 and didn't remember any difference with the GC version (and I played that version a lot) that made a lot of difference. Of course there was 10 years of difference between the 2 so maybe it's my memory, but I also have good muscle memory from games, I immediately noticed the lag in the MMX collection

Also the comparison they use int he page maybe it's not the best aside from the pallete, it looks less washed out

bFthgfM.jpg
Not only is the PS3 version 30fps, but they somehow added more errors to the English script. And I'm just talking about the extra stuff from the PS2 version, there were errors that never existed in the original!

I'm glad at least the PC version can be modded very easily, I'm probably going to pass on another console version since it's already confirmed to be based off this.

I saw this on Twitter lol:

SO, in the end it was moddable or not for pc? I remember a lot of hype for the 60 fps mod for pc , but it was always something like "it's coming" "it's near" "here's a sneak peak of the code" but neve actually saw if they released it (granted at that point I lost interest in it)

SO, in the end it was moddable or not for pc? I remember a lot of hype for the 60 fps mod for pc , but it was always something like "it's coming" "it's near" "here's a sneak peak of the code" but neve actually saw if they released it (granted at that point I lost interest in it)
As far as I remember the modder thought it would be possible, and was working on it, but was unable to get it to work properly due to the game logic. Pretty much everything else from the Gamecube version, like the outlines, was restored though.

Back
Top Bottom