• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Tactics Ogre: Reborn |ST| Valerian Rhapsody [NSW|PS|PC]

Near the end of Chapter 3 now and definitely feels like I'm blitzing through this way quicker than the PSP version
Ditto. My only frame of ref is the super fami original, but the UI is pretty snappy to use and pace of battle cruises especially after turning on "fast mode".

Finally tried out the computer-driven training battles and that really works a treat for skill ups. 👍

I believe I’m in the chaos route,
I've noticed many folks thought they were in Chaos route only to find out it was Law all along 😆

Basically, if you followed orders => Law.

If you NOPEd outta there, welcome to Chaos (with a chance to go Neutral)!

Okay chapter 3 is exactly what I wanted. The first two chapters had basically one battle (the necromancer) that actually had me on the edge of my seat. I’ve had three or four so far in ch 3. This is way more fun and I’m actually being pushed to explore all systems. My unit battle cap got bumped to twelve so I finally recruited and reclassed a few folks before I dive into the woods tomorrow.

Wish it didn’t take 18 hours to get here, but now that I am here I’m having the time of my life.

Hey I finally finished this! The game is far more rpg than strategy, I still have an Advance Wars Re-Boot Camp shaped hole in my heart, but once I accepted that and the game started to actually push back I found it much more engaging (and with a fair amount of strategy involved). Some random thoughts:
  • A certain character made the choice to leave me at the start of chapter 3 (at least I think it was 3) and it honestly felt completely unearned. I both lost interest in the plot on top of having already been playing in fits and spurts so I was forgetting characters, kingdoms, etc. By the end I barely knew that happened lol.
  • The moment to moment writing and overall seriousness of the story was quite refreshing however. Despite losing the plot after a bit I would not be surprised if I end up preferring the story and storytelling here compared to new Fire Emblem next month.
  • The cutscenes are actually quite short which was nice. I only played the Triangle Strategy demo but even in that people just wouldn't shut up. Not sure how much of Tactics Ogre's cutscene length was dictated by hardware vs just having good writers, but it ended up benefiting the pace since I was never worried to start the next story sequence fearing lack of time.
  • Not sold on the visuals. The landscapes can look quite nice but actual characters look pretty blurry on the tv, handheld looks much better imo. I get they were trying to go for some replication of crt pixel blending but I wish they just let me turn off the filtering on characters.
  • Chapter 4 was weirdly loaded with unique maps. Not sure why chapters 1 & 2 had a fair few repeated maps if they were holding like 12 back to back battles for the final stretch.
  • I can't imagine how mind blowing this must have felt on SNES. I know the game has been through a few revisions up to this point but I imagine the scenario has been fairly constant? The scope of the game is very impressive and the feeling of choice and consequence for my playthrough was quite strong.
  • The postgame/sidequest stuff seems absolutely bonkers. If I found this game 15 years ago during a high school summer break it would've been very bad (I really wish this had happened).
My experience was quite up and down but I really liked it by the end 😅 Hoping they do a Final Fantasy Tactics Reborn since I imagine they were able to take their learnings from this game into that one when they originally made it. Also I think I might play Final Fantasy 12 next haha.

Oh, and for those on the fence about getting this, Tactics Ogre is 30% off on Amazon.ca (dunno about the US store).

Is there a way to cheese the final boss? I'm losing my mind over there.

I know gamers are needlessly hyperbolic all the time, which is something I criticize often, but this boss is one of, if not the most miserable time I ever had in a TRPG.

The way you just have to get paralysed (and sometimes the terror effect as well), just because you got close to him is such BS! It's like the game is punishing me from not using a ranged-only team.

The combination of the game having no easy mode, locking levels at 40 and forcing you to load an older save if you want to leave that slog of a final dungeon is bonkers to me.
Why you would make the whole thing so punishing?

Is there a way to cheese the final boss? I'm losing my mind over there.

I know gamers are needlessly hyperbolic all the time, which is something I criticize often, but this boss is one of, if not the most miserable time I ever had in a TRPG.

The way you just have to get paralysed (and sometimes the terror effect as well), just because you got close to him is such BS! It's like the game is punishing me from not using a ranged-only team.

The combination of the game having no easy mode, locking levels at 40 and forcing you to load an older save if you want to leave that slog of a final dungeon is bonkers to me.
Why you would make the whole thing so punishing?
I don’t think there are any cheese tactics per-say, the closest thing might be bringing in fewer units so there are less copies to fight in the first phase.

The general strategy I read online, and what eventually worked for me, was to use the first phase to build MP for finishers to really hit the second phase fast and hard. I also found breach a good debuff to apply on hard units to lower their defense - though I don’t actually remember if it applies to the final boss. Also the strength buff items for your units are actually very power and something I relied on later in the game. Ultimately though you just need to be careful, maybe only send one or two units in at a time to hit him so you have less terror to deal with after his turn and attrition him out if you can’t rush him in the first few turns.

This fight is actually a good example of why, despite liking turn-based strategy, I don’t think I really like trpgs/srpgs. At this point the game is clearly just an rpg with a weird battle system. If you built your units wrong or don’t have the right items and equipment you could just be screwed and no amount of ‘strategy’ can overcome it. The final battles in something like Advance Wars are hard but feel much more fair (and thus fun!)

I don’t think there are any cheese tactics per-say, the closest thing might be bringing in fewer units so there are less copies to fight in the first phase.

The general strategy I read online, and what eventually worked for me, was to use the first phase to build MP for finishers to really hit the second phase fast and hard. I also found breach a good debuff to apply on hard units to lower their defense - though I don’t actually remember if it applies to the final boss. Also the strength buff items for your units are actually very power and something I relied on later in the game. Ultimately though you just need to be careful, maybe only send one or two units in at a time to hit him so you have less terror to deal with after his turn and attrition him out if you can’t rush him in the first few turns.

This fight is actually a good example of why, despite liking turn-based strategy, I don’t think I really like trpgs/srpgs. At this point the game is clearly just an rpg with a weird battle system. If you built your units wrong or don’t have the right items and equipment you could just be screwed and no amount of ‘strategy’ can overcome it. The final battles in something like Advance Wars are hard but feel much more fair (and thus fun!)
Same, it took me 3 tries before beating him. Iin my case the strategy was to pretty much upgradee the magic items to the ones that completely fill your mp and just go throwing specials in the first phase, then the item that lowers defense and continue with the specials, and even then I finished the fight with like 5 people alive.

Thanks for a taking the time to answer, but it turns out I did manage to cheese him somewhat (the credits are literally scrolling as I type). I guess that just shows how much I disrespect this entire battle, if I was going to beat him, it had to be cheap.

Basically what I did is abusing the shit out of the chariot/rewind feature to keep him paralysed.
Gildas' passing ability was reliable enough to maintain it, so I kept repositioning my units to manipulate the RNG in order to make him lose a turn. He was only able to attack when the paralysis effect wore off before one of his turn started (it happened only twice).
It was tedious and devoid of fun, but it was the only way I could think with this team.

I could see how bringing a small team to build-up MP during the 1st phase could help as you suggested, but facing the final boss without half the units you've spent this entire game playing with sounds super unsatisfying (not like my strategy gave me any satisfaction...)

I will not be touching the post-game that's for sure. I was debating whether I would play FE Engage on normal or hard, but after TO I am 100% playing it on normal, what an exhausting game that was.

It really sucks, this game has such a great reputation, I thought for sure I was going to like it considering my love TRPGs, but the whole thing leaves me with a bitter feeling of frustration (the final boss was by far the worst, but they were plenty of other maps that were more annoying than fun to play).

I hope the FF Tactics remaster won't be like that.

Last edited:
Started playing this and made it up to Chapter 2. I like the story so far, can tell this is a Matsuno game.

I think I'm on the Chaos route? I refused to take part in the massacre at Balmamusa, but got scapegoated for it anyway.

Thanks for a taking the time to answer, but it turns out I did manage to cheese him somewhat (the credits are literally scrolling as I type). I guess that just shows how much I disrespect this entire battle, if I was going to beat him, it had to be cheap.

Basically what I did is abusing the shit out of the chariot/rewind feature to keep him paralysed.
Gildas' passing ability was reliable enough to maintain it, so I kept repositioning my units to manipulate the RNG in order to make him lose a turn. He was only able to attack when the paralysis wore off before one his turn started (it happened only twice).
It was tedious and devoid of fun, but the only way I could think with this team.

I could see how bringing a small team to build-up MP during the 1st phase could help as you suggested, but facing the final boss without half the units you've spent this entire game playing with sounds super unsatisfying (not like my strategy gave me any satisfaction...)

I will not be touching the post-game that's for sure. I was debating whether I would play FE Engage on normal or hard, but after TO I am 100% playing it on normal, what an exhausting game that was.

It really sucks, this game has such a great reputation, I thought for sure I was going to like it considering my love TRPGs, but the whole thing leaves with a bitter feeling of frustration (the final boss by far the worst, but they were plenty of maps that were more annoying than fun to play).

I hope the FF Tactics remaster won't be like that.
Glad you were at least able to get through it. I hate feeling stuck on the last fight in a game since leaving something unfinished that close to the end kills me. Never considered using the rewind to get different RNG, that's actually pretty clever!

I agree with the reputation of the game outsizing the actual experience of playing it. I think in context of a SNES game it's very impressive, particularly the scope of the story, but even two/three revisions later the gameplay is still kinda weak. It seems capping unit levels really contributed to the issues people seem to having with this version. I think Matsuno said on Twitter they were looking into easy ways to alleviate some of these issues - but the budget for post release patches seemed pretty small so who knows if anything will happen. I definitely agree that some maps were just straight up unfun tedious slogs and no amount of reworking will fix that.

Maybe you'll soften on it over time. I personally want to see the other story routes but really don't want to replay 50 hours of semi-okay battles, especially since everything apparently gets scaled so you can't just steamroll with your endgame units.

Glad you were at least able to get through it. I hate feeling stuck on the last fight in a game since leaving something unfinished that close to the end kills me. Never considered using the rewind to get different RNG, that's actually pretty clever!
You get creative when you're desperate.

Game is a lot of fun, but I'm early into Chapter 3 right now and I feel like it's not as engaging as it was at first?

Most battles feel like I'm just going through the motions at this point, and most maps feel very samey

And the game is so open-ended, I really don't know what I'm supposed to do with classes and party set-up

And the game is so open-ended, I really don't know what I'm supposed to do with classes and party set-up
For the sake of your time and sanity, get or reclass one of your unit into a dragoon if you haven't done so already. The beast/dragons will only get more and more tedious to kill with their ever-growing HP bars.

Personally I turned Denam into one.

For the sake of your time and sanity, get or reclass one of your unit into a dragoon if you haven't done so already. The beast/dragons will only get more and more tedious to kill with their ever-growing HP bars.

Personally I turned Denam into one.
Duly noted. I've got a Terror Knight that hasn't really been carrying her weight, I guess it's time for a new class.

Duly noted. I've got a Terror Knight that hasn't really been carrying her weight, I guess it's time for a new class.
When you attack with both the passive and active anti-dragon/beast skills activated you can potentialy one-shot them. I've had damage going up to the 2000s during chapter 4.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but I mostly play E and occasionally T rated games, and I'm interested in trying out a TRPG or SRPG...I'm looking for something with as little or no sexualized content as possible, that's just not my thing. I'm also super sensitive about certain kinds of violence.

I usually rely on sites like Common Sense Media or ESRB for info on content in games. Here's what they said:

"There are several indirect references to sexual violence in dialogue," and "the dialogue references suggestive material (e.g., “Elders beaten, women...defiled”; “She's yours. Enjoy the spoils of war”; “We'll put her to good use, won't we boys?”)."

So, I think I read that in these games you can choose to play on the side of good or morally grey or evil? I was wondering if the game ever sides you with the characters talking about sexually assaulting women? Can I ask for some context of how this comes up? Just trying to get a sense of the game's moral compass per se. Thanks all. Feel free to be spoilery.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but I mostly play E and occasionally T rated games, and I'm interested in trying out a TRPG or SRPG...I'm looking for something with as little or no sexualized content as possible, that's just not my thing. I'm also super sensitive about certain kinds of violence.

I usually rely on sites like Common Sense Media or ESRB for info on content in games. Here's what they said:

"There are several indirect references to sexual violence in dialogue," and "the dialogue references suggestive material (e.g., “Elders beaten, women...defiled”; “She's yours. Enjoy the spoils of war”; “We'll put her to good use, won't we boys?”)."

So, I think I read that in these games you can choose to play on the side of good or morally grey or evil? I was wondering if the game ever sides you with the characters talking about sexually assaulting women? Can I ask for some context of how this comes up? Just trying to get a sense of the game's moral compass per se. Thanks all. Feel free to be spoilery.
The ESRB is mostly correct as in there are indirect references, it's not like you have characters that goes directly to those topics , but rather it's a description of the war that it's going on. Think something like "X faction went an killed every men and took the women in the battle of Lostoria (making up names here)" or the typical bad guy with "let the soldiers have their fun blah blah". Also the moral compass here is "there are no good sides in the war", no matter wich alignment you choose the game really doesn't try to sugarcoat it. Even in the paths you consider morally correct sometimes it's like
MC."we can talk this, we must fight together"
Enemy "No, because bla bla honor and kingdom"
MC "THEN YOU DIE"
Then you read the story of the enemy of that battle and his wife was kidnapped and was forced to fight

Alrighty cool that helps @ermitron2, thank you, I definitely am interested in a nuanced story, I guess I just wanted to at least make sure the game wasn't going up offer me the choice to align with rapists. Or that you can save the victims or something.

Alrighty cool that helps @ermitron2, thank you, I definitely am interested in a nuanced story, I guess I just wanted to at least make sure the game wasn't going up offer me the choice to align with rapists. Or that you can save the victims or something.
Yeah it's not like, but now that you mentioned it, I'm really scratching my head here because I really can't think of any rpg that actually puts you in that situation (at least japanese ones). Granted I haven't played any newer one not being Atelier, DQ or Xenoblade.

Oh yeah, one more thing, is it okay to start with the N64 Tactics Ogre on Wii U? It's got save states and it's much cheaper as an entry point. And the Harvest Moon-esque character models are really charming.

Oh yeah, one more thing, is it okay to start with the N64 Tactics Ogre on Wii U? It's got save states and it's much cheaper as an entry point. And the Harvest Moon-esque character models are really charming.
They games have very different styles, OB64 is more like a strategy game while Tactics Ogre is like FF Tactics,so I guess it depends in what you are looking for

They games have very different styles, OB64 is more like a strategy game while Tactics Ogre is like FF Tactics,so I guess it depends in what you are looking for
Thanks! Hmmm, I guess I don't really have experience with either game type, never really played an SRPG or TRPG. Closest I've played to a strategy game is Pikmin. So if OB64 holds up I guess if try that first off and wait for a sale to try another S/TRPG.

No, you don't align with rapists in this game. Some characters do have questionable pasts, but when they join you it's when they are trying to redeem themselves.

There is one character who is heavily implied to be raped and killed, but nothing is shown other then her captured with the enemy commander telling his men to do with her as they please and ends with her daring them to try before fading to black. You can save this character depending on the choices you make though.

No, you don't align with rapists in this game. Some characters do have questionable pasts, but when they join you it's when they are trying to redeem themselves.

There is one character who is heavily implied to be raped and killed, but nothing is shown other then her captured with the enemy commander telling his men to do with her as they please and ends with her daring them to try before fading to black. You can save this character depending on the choices you make though.
Thank you, I really appreciate the detailed info. Any experience or thoughts on the N64 game as an entry point?

Thank you, I really appreciate the detailed info. Any experience or thoughts on the N64 game as an entry point?
The N64 game is completely different from Tactics Ogre and more in-vein with the first Ogre Battle game. It's a great game, but don't go in expecting any experience to transfer to TO.

Also it was localized by Atlus so certain names and locations will be very different to how they are translated in the current Ogre terminology. It's nothing that will hinder you, but just something to be aware of.

Picked this up today on Switch for £27.99 in GAME, I’ve heard it has no difficulty settings, is it hard? Any beginner tips?

Back
Top Bottom