• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Switch 2's DLSS implementation code has been stolen/leaked from NVidia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Docked it'll be ~PS4 level with a CPU somewhere between PS4 and PS5. Handheld it'll be anywhere from like ~75% of XB1 level to ~about XB1 level. CPU should be the same in both cases.
I'm not an expert but it's good? I guess modern games can run not in 4k but 1080p or 900p with downgrades

So in conclusion a new Switch (PRO/2) is coming sooner than later?
The information aligns with the rumors that have been suggesting a late 2022/early 2023 launch, but, at least so far, does not seem to directly confirm them.

That said, the window in which launching a new console with this SoC probably ends within 2-3 years.

My dream scenario is devs will use DLSS to get 720p 60fps in handheld mode for big-budget titles and be able to get battery life to 5 or 6 hours. The fact that DLSS could help with battery life is a godsend for me.

Quoted by: SiG
My dream scenario is devs will use DLSS to get 720p 60fps in handheld mode for big-budget titles and be able to get battery life to 5 or 6 hours. The fact that DLSS could help with battery life is a godsend for me.
Have we confirmed that Tensor core usage actually reduces wattage requirements? Any empirical evidence on that front?

Have we confirmed that Tensor core usage actually reduces wattage requirements? Any empirical evidence on that front?
DLSS would allow the game to render at a lower resolution, saving power. Someone told me it's possible in the old thread back on Era. That said, chances are, most developers won't care about battery life.

DLSS would allow the game to render at a lower resolution, saving power. Someone told me it's possible in the old thread back on Era. That said, chances are, most developers won't care about battery life.
We all know it lowers render resolutions, but what we do not know is how much power those Tensor cores sap when it comes to using AI upscaling.

And I'd think batterylife would matter considering the power profiles on the current Switch. Only recently where more powerful portable profiles added.

Not a fan of the Super Nintendo Switch name but I feel like it'd help with blurring the line between an upgraded model and a successor, if that's their goal.

Quoted by: SiG
Not a fan of the Super Nintendo Switch name but I feel like it'd help with blurring the line between an upgraded model and a successor, if that's their goal.
At this point people have incredibly wild expectations of a new Nintendo Switch/successor model that doing something like this would be both "Nintendo gonna Nintendo" and mixture of "not what I expected but I'll take it" to "Nintendo is DOOMED...but I'll buy it".

We all know it lowers render resolutions, but what we do not know is how much power those Tensor cores sap when it comes to using AI upscaling.

And I'd think batterylife would matter considering the power profiles on the current Switch. Only recently where more powerful portable profiles added.
note: limiter means the framerate is reduced to match the non-dlss result

Shadow-of-the-Tomb-Raider-AvWatt_DE-3840-x-2160-Pixels-DX12-Ultra-Settings.png

Super Nintendo Switch is one of the greatest names ever for a system that won’t be called next gen by Nintendo most likely.

I'm not an expert but it's good? I guess modern games can run not in 4k but 1080p or 900p with downgrades
The Steam Deck can run Elden Ring at 800p 30fps and it's looking pretty decent. If it received a proper port to the Switch 2/+ (i.e. without the overhead of the Proton compatibility layer) I think it could hit 900p/1080p 30fps docked. Not at high settings but honestly I'll take it, I really want all those cross-gen games to be ported to this device.

Testing with desktop cards seems to indicate that keeping framerate and resolution stable, DLSS is lower power draw, and that ampere makes it more effecient.

I suspect that in practice, though, we shouldn't expect less energy consumption from DLSS. The games that need to rely on it will be running the GPU hard, maintaining the frame rate at a low res, and letting DLSS up the resolution. Nintendo cares a lot about power draw, but I doubt any devs are going to spend money reducing power consumption, instead of upping framerate or resolution - or just hitting the frame target and ignoring effeciency, spending man hours elsewhere

You are not getting an incremental revision 7 years after the Switch's launch. That ship has long since sailed.

You would be getting this mid gen upgrade Switch 5.5 years after launch.

Since Nintendo just said a few months ago that the Switch will exceed what we consider the lifespan of conventional hardware to be…it lines up.

This 4K Switch will lengthen the lifespan of the Switch. No need for new power hardware till around 2026

Based on specs, this is a Switch 2 and should be marketed as such. March 2023 is the earliest possible date for it, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were H2 2023 or Q1 2024.

Nintendo won’t market it as a “Switch 2”

They will market it as a powered up Switch for those looking to play the Switch library of games with better graphics/performance.

This isn’t meant to replace the current models, like OLED.

Would Nintendo really announce a new Switch with DLSS a year plus, ahead and expect to keep the sales momentum of their current consoles? Who is going to buy the backlog of old consoles that are going to be obsolete in comparison to this new one?

People who don’t want to pay $400-$500 for a Switch console will opt for the current models, I imagine.

@NateDrake take your victory lap

Poor thugstas!

I don't see how this leak changes anything about the release date predictions. We already knew this existed. I think this releases either spring or holidays 2024.

2024 is too late for Nvidia. That’s 5 years after the reveal of Orin. They want to tout the current power of their current SoC as soon as possible.

Releasing end of 2022 does not make sense. A new console means $350~$400 investment, money that could very well spent to buy pokemon and any other holiday game or switch console, plus losing money since margins of the new console < margins for selling switch systems.

Pretty sure releasing Xbox one X and ps4 pro during the holiday period made sense.

Going off of what we know and Furukawa’s recent comments it sounds like the distinction between Pro and successor is irrelevant.

The Xenoblade games should be easy since they already have TAA. Hopefully they bump up the draw distance too.

I get that, but I don’t know. It’s a careful balance. At 450 it’s almost as much as the PS5 and even those that are interested in the Deck, like me, feel the price is a tough pill. Valve knows this, and they also know they don’t plan on selling numbers close to the Switch but a specific audience. And Nintendo, for the most part, has tried to be more affordable than the other two consoles which are in an arms race.

I just think accessibility is key. Would I personally pay that much? Yes, and that’s me. I pre ordered a Pocket that I don’t actually need and a Deck that I don’t need, and honestly, if Switch adds GB and GBA, I may cancel my Pocket since I’m Q3 anyway.

I think 350 is the sweet spot. With 399 being still acceptable.

Ideally they lower the price of the light and OLED and the new Switch at 350 IMO

The information aligns with the rumors that have been suggesting a late 2022/early 2023 launch, but, at least so far, does not seem to directly confirm them.

That said, the window in which launching a new console with this SoC probably ends within 2-3 years.

That's what I've been wondering. This device will contain an Ampere GPU, but Nvidia is releasing the Lovelace GPUs this year. 2024 will presumably have another new architecture.

This thing will be outdated (for a new device) if it releases in 2024.

The software lineup for 2022 feels too packed to be a system winding down that quickly, but I could probably see mid-late 2023 if Metroid Prime 4 has been moved to either a cross-gen or a next gen game.

The software lineup for 2022 feels too packed to be a system winding down that quickly, but I could probably see mid-late 2023 if Metroid Prime 4 has been moved to either a cross-gen or a next gen game.
The Switch doesn't need to wind down for its successor to release. That can wait until afterwards.

Why does it need to be winding down?

Allocation of resources. Teams that are working on Switch games are teams that aren't available to work on the graphical showcase games that justify new hardware.
... Why do they need to have separate games for new hardware? Look at Sony and MS, everything is cross gen.

Not to mention this likely isn't going to be positioned as a traditional generational break.

Allocation of resources. Teams that are working on Switch games are teams that aren't available to work on the graphical showcase games that justify new hardware.
That's not how really how it works. The games releasing in 2022 have already finished the bulk of their development. And as @Skittzo points out, crossgen is a thing.

I don't believe new hardware is releasing in 2022 either, for the record. I just think it has nothing to do with their currently announced software slate.

Yeah it’s cross gen and it’ll be more than ever I’d imagine. There is no winding down until a year or two later

Damn I need to see 4K Nintendo games. I’m way too excited to see BotW 2 and Xenoblade 3 running on this.
Not that I have the screen to display it, but trying out stuff on my new PC a few months back I was testing some emulated Wii U games at crazy resolutions. So uh here's 1/16 of a screen of Mario Kart 8 8K.
oPqG2tR.jpg

Super Nintendo Switch
🙏

But Nintendo hasn't had a system with an incredibly dumb name or just the word "new" added in a while so I'm worried the streak can only last so long and they're overdue.

They're only allowed to call it Super Nintendo Switch if the new controllers have coloured face buttons.

Even then i'd prefer the coloured face buttons with a better name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom