• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Switch 2's DLSS implementation code has been stolen/leaked from NVidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dcubed

Paratroopa

NVN is the Switch's main graphics API... it doesn't take a genius to figure out what "NVN2" means :D

Looks like Switch 2 isn't far off now... and it's coming packed with DLSS! :D

Don't be excited over stolen information, these are the same kind of people that attack countries and cripple institutions, as has happened in the past week.

I'd be hesitant to call this "Switch 2" despite it being NVN2.

But it does confirm the code name of the chip is Dane/T239 as was leaked last summer.

Don't be excited over stolen information, these are the same kind of people that attack countries and cripple institutions, as has happened in the past week.

Yeah I agree with this. It's hard not to want to discuss the info but we should keep in mind it was the result of a literal attack.

Dane could exist and Nintendo could still opt to not release new hardware.
It's hard not to want to discuss the info but we should keep in mind it was the result of a literal attack.
Oh, okay, so this is a leak that we actually should be mad about

Dane could exist and Nintendo could still opt to not release new hardware.
At this point I'm doubting that outcome. Nvidia working extensively on a literal sequel to the Switch's API (NVN2) for Dane should indicate that it's fairly far along and it would be very odd if it's not released.

If they opt not to release it will they make a NVN3 for whatever new hardware they decide to start developing?

At this point I'm doubting that outcome. Nvidia working extensively on a literal sequel to the Switch's API (NVN2) for Dane should indicate that it's fairly far along and it would be very odd if it's not released.

If they opt not to release it will they make a NVN3 for whatever new hardware they decide to start developing?
They could opt for releasing it later than expected, or iterate on it behind closed doors.

We getting further confirmation they're developing something still doesn't mean anything about when it is releasing.

They could opt for releasing it later than expected, or iterate on it behind closed doors.

We getting further confirmation they're developing something still doesn't mean anything about when it is releasing.
Oh sure, there's absolutely no suggestion in this leak about when it'll release. I wasn't claiming otherwise.

I was typing something lengthier but this gets to the point. We're not supposed to learn about these behind-the-doors stuff, and plenty of prototypes get scrapped or modified or built on.

I was typing something lengthier but this gets to the point. We're not supposed to learn about these behind-the-doors stuff, and plenty of prototypes get scrapped or modified or built on.
The thing is, there's a lot of supporting/corroborating info around this one. We've known this code name since last year, last year's leak lines up with the previous year's reports about devkits with DLSS, all of what we've heard ties together to suggest this product is real and is planned to release some time within the next 12-14 months.

This particular leak doesn't indicate anything about timing but it does further corroborate past rumors.

At this point it seems pretty clear that this exists and there is a major effort behind it. There's very little reason to believe it'll get scrapped.

Nintendo could have looked at the hardware solution and then the global capability to meet demand and then parked it.

It didn't prevent them from releasing the OLED Switch.

If the global supply situation is scaring them then they may as well release no new hardware until 2027+, since it's not going away any time soon.

The fact that they're working on DLSS support at this stage (itself being newsworthy - DLSS is going to be a huge feather in the system's cap, allowing it to punch well above its weight with PS5/Xbox Series ports), and after all the previous rumours regarding "Dane" over the past year or so indicates that the system is pretty far along now...

2023 is certainly not impossible for a Switch 2 release by any means.

Late this year/early 2023 is good for me
That's still too soon imo. Late 2023 makes a lot more sense I think. Can't go from releasing a premium model of the Switch to releasing another premium model of the Switch without at minimum a 2 year gap. At least I don't think so, anyway.

It should be pointed out that the files were modified last week. Whatever the SoC is, its for a product in development and is not going to be shelved because of market conditions any time soon.

The fact that they're working on DLSS support at this stage (itself being newsworthy - DLSS is going to be a huge feather in the system's cap, allowing it to punch well above its weight with PS5/Xbox Series ports), and after all the previous rumours regarding "Dane" over the past year or so indicates that the system is pretty far along now...

2023 is certainly not impossible for a Switch 2 release by any means.
FYI the current rumors say it's planned for late 2022.

That's still too soon imo. Late 2023 makes a lot more sense I think. Can't go from releasing a premium model of the Switch to releasing another premium model of the Switch without at minimum a 2 year gap. At least I don't think so, anyway.
If anything, the OLED is more of a premium Lite, than a premium Switch, so its possible Nintendo would discontinue one of its previous lines, 4 different machines at one time is just too many.

FYI the current rumors say it's planned for late 2022.

If that was gonna happen, it would've already have been announced by now.

No console has ever been announced with less than 1.5 years of lead-time before launch (in fact, the Wii U is the only one which had such a short announcement to release window; and look at how that turned out!). You need time for developers to start preparing games for the platform, time for retailers and other partners to buy-in with the console etc.

Game consoles aren't smartphones, they can't just be thrown out into the world on a whim because of how many different developers and partners need to be involved.

Even a March 2023 release would be a history-first for how tight the window is... Nintendo are very very late with this successor announcement in general.

No console has ever been announced with less than 1.5 years of lead-time before launch (in fact, the Wii U is the only one which had such a short announcement to release window; and look at how that turned out!). You need time for developers to start preparing games for the platform, time for retailers and other partners to buy-in with the console etc.

Game consoles aren't smartphones, they can't just be thrown out into the world on a whim because of how many different developers and partners need to be involved.
Wasn’t the Switch announced in like September 2016?

This is copied from my thread, which I think was right behind this one, for a high level summary.

This info is being discussed in the Future Hardware OT, and keeps cropping up and repeated in the main OT, I thought it might be useful to drop a "for anyone" list of the info here.

What Happened???
NVidia got hit with a cyber attack. The group responsible appears to be LAPSUS$, who have gone public with some details to ransom money out of NVidia.

Wild! How is this Nintendo related?
First off, let's make it clear that this is a Very Bad Thing. Employee private details are included in the leak. No linking to bad actors here, okay? We're just summing up public details for simplicity's sake

Okay, that's fair... but Nintendo?
A list of leaked files was published by TechPowerUp. That list includes:
  • An NVN2 folder
  • What appears to be an NVNDLSS Driver
Further, on Twitter @kopite7kimi claimed "There are some files about T239 in this leaking case."

Uhh, I still don't know what that means Explain Like I'm Five?
  • NVN is the API that Switch programs are written against. It is developed by NVidia for Nintendo
  • DLSS is a NVidia specific high resolution/AI Upscaling tech
  • DLSS requires hardware not in the Switch
  • A NVN2 folder, and a DLSS driver suggest a DLSS Nintendo device that is pretty far along in development
@kopite7kimi is a reputable Nvidia (not Nintendo) leaker who has been saying for some time that a new Switch is in dev with a chip, T239, codenamed Dane. Either @kopite7kimi knows what else is in the leak, or these already public records indicate Dane is involved - because of the file names listed above

Switch Pro confirmed?
No, not exactly. This just says that NVidia is working on a New Nintendo hardware, and it happens to use NVidia's recent-ish tech. That's unsurprising

But what about the Bloomberg report a while back? Or other rumors?
Yes, this leak is 100% consistent with all those rumors and leaks of a 4k Switch Pro. It just doesn't absolutely confirm it. To use George Carlin's phrase "it's suggestive as hell"

Can you link me to stuff?
Sure

The TechPower story about the leak:

Recent @kopite7kimi Tweet

That's not even close to true. The Switch was announced in October 2016 and released in March 2017 (the NX "announcement" doesn't count) and most systems are announced and released within a year.

That didn't rip up the underlying architecture too hard though. Same Switch, different screen. Plus the demand on a totally new Switch would be through the roof vs. "just another OG one".
The SoC is just one component though, and if the rumor that this uses Samsung 8nm is accurate then it'll be one of the components that is in extremely plentiful supply. The supply issues have mainly been affecting other more ubiquitous components that many devices share.
Where does it confirm that?
The leak contains references to T239 along with NVN2.

Nobody has claimed this is a Switch 2. On the contrary, all of the information we have about it has suggested it's more like a revision than a new gen.

They can announce it with 2-3 months of lead time like they did the Lite or OLED model.

Even a March 2023 release would be a history-first for how tight the window is... Nintendo are very very late with this successor announcement in general.
Nintendo only "announced" NX because it had to. The true announcement was October 2016 for release in March 2017.

Edit: And yeah as said above it can easily be a revision which Nintendo always announces only a couple months in advance.

Are you just basing this off kopite7kimi saying something in the leak relates to T239? Or are there some specific references? Because his statement could easily just be referring to the screenshot in the OP since nvn2 would be for Dane.

<Current rumors> have been saying it's planned for late <this year> since 2017, so forgive me if I'm skeptical on this.
No they haven't, and we've discussed this extensively.

In 2018 there were rumors about an enhanced Switch planned for release in 2019. It turned out to be Mariko.

In 2020 there were rumors about an enhanced Switch planned for 2021-2022, turns out 2021 was never in the cards.

In 2021 there were rumors about an enhanced Switch planned for 2022, and then Bloomberg conflated info about OLED model production with those rumors and told everyone it was launching in 2021.

In reality there have been two concrete "enhanced Switches" ever rumored.

Are you just basing this off kopite7kimi saying something in the leak relates to T239? Or are there some specific references? Because his statement could easily just be referring to the screenshot in the OP since nvn2 would be for Dane.
Oh, you could be right. I took his tweet to mean other files in the leak referenced T239 explicitly, I don't know where to find any of the leaked info so I can't double check that. You may be right that he's just referring to the files about T239 but not the explicit mention of "T239".

No they haven't, and we've discussed this extensively.

In 2018 there were rumors about an enhanced Switch planned for release in 2019. It turned out to be Mariko.

In 2020 there were rumors about an enhanced Switch planned for 2021-2022, turns out 2021 was never in the cards.

In 2021 there were rumors about an enhanced Switch planned for 2022, and then Bloomberg conflated info about OLED model production with those rumors and told everyone it was launching in 2021.

In reality there have been two concrete "enhanced Switches" ever rumored.
No they haven’t. Getting tired if this claim thud has been rumored since the Switch release. See this parroted by YouTubers who don’t know the facts
The hardware fanfiction speculation thread on the other place sure was talking about an enhanced Switch since almost before the OG one released. I was there.

The SoC is just one component though, and if the rumor that this uses Samsung 8nm is accurate then it'll be one of the components that is in extremely plentiful supply. The supply issues have mainly been affecting other more ubiquitous components that many devices share.

Nobody has claimed this is a Switch 2. On the contrary, all of the information we have about it has suggested it's more like a revision than a new gen.

They can announce it with 2-3 months of lead time like they did the Lite or OLED model.

A PS4 level chip with DLSS would give a better overall output improvement between hardware releases than PS4 to PS5 in my opinion. Maybe not in terms of numbers but in terms of the visual output.

It would be a generational leap and then some over the current Switch. It would be able to run Horizon better than the already excellent PS4 version.

Is that just a ‘pro’ device?

The hardware fanfiction speculation thread on the other place sure was talking about an enhanced Switch since almost before the OG one released. I was there.
Talking and speculating are not the same as rumors. Not even remotely the same.

A PS4 level chip with DLSS would give a better overall output improvement between hardware releases than PS4 to PS5 in my opinion.

It would be a generational leap and then some over the current Switch.
Hardware power doesn't define a generational leap. The jump from 3DS to new 3DS was far, far more substantial than the jump from Gamecube to Wii.

That's not even close to true. The Switch was announced in October 2016 and released in March 2017 (the NX "announcement" doesn't count) and most systems are announced and released within a year.

That's bollocks.

Project Reality was announced in August 1993, a whopping THREE years before the N64's eventual release (recall that it was originally due to launch in 1995 before being heavily delayed).

Project Dolphin was announced in May 1999, 2 years and 4 months before the Gamecube's Japanese release.

The Nintendo Revolution was announced at E3 2004, and shown off in physical form (with the Virtual Console announced) the following year at E3 2005; 2 years and 6 months prior to the Wii's release!

Wii U was announced on April 25, 2011 and formally unveiled at E3 2011; 1 year and 6 months prior to its eventual release.

NX was announced in March 2015, formally unveiled in September 2016 and released in March 2017, 2 years following its initial announcement.

To take some non-Nintendo answers to this question into account as well...

PS5 was first announced in October 2018, given formal details in April 2019 and given the first look at the actual physical hardware at E3 2020. The console was released 2 years and one month after its initial announcement.
Project Scarlett was announced at E3 2019 and the console's physical form-factor was revealed in December 2019. The console was released one year and 6 months following its initial announcement.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Nintendo always announce their next console prior to its formal reveal. That hasn't happened yet, and that means that any release before March 2023 is now incredibly unlikely as it wouldn't give enough lead-time before release. November 2023 is currently the most likely date (which also conviniently coincides with the end of Mario Kart 8 DX DLC support too).

Last edited:
I think you're mixing up speculation with rumour. It happens a lot, things start out as speculation and after a while some people start to treat it as rumours.

But in this case, Dane is actually a rumoured Switch hardware.

If it does come out say late this year, is the consensus that Switch isn't getting replaced by the new model for at least the next three years? I just got an OLED...

I believe this will be a revision so it won’t be revealed at E3 and Nintendo announces these a few months before release.

A whole new gen you will hear a ton more whispers from insiders and it will have a longer reveal to release window.

This is copied from my thread, which I think was right behind this one, for a high level summary.

This info is being discussed in the Future Hardware OT, and keeps cropping up and repeated in the main OT, I thought it might be useful to drop a "for anyone" list of the info here.

What Happened???
NVidia got hit with a cyber attack. The group responsible appears to be LAPSUS$, who have gone public with some details to ransom money out of NVidia.

Wild! How is this Nintendo related?
First off, let's make it clear that this is a Very Bad Thing. Employee private details are included in the leak. No linking to bad actors here, okay? We're just summing up public details for simplicity's sake

Okay, that's fair... but Nintendo?
A list of leaked files was published by TechPowerUp. That list includes:
  • An NVN2 folder
  • What appears to be an NVNDLSS Driver
Further, on Twitter @kopite7kimi claimed "There are some files about T239 in this leaking case."

Uhh, I still don't know what that means Explain Like I'm Five?
  • NVN is the API that Switch programs are written against. It is developed by NVidia for Nintendo
  • DLSS is a NVidia specific high resolution/AI Upscaling tech
  • DLSS requires hardware not in the Switch
  • A NVN2 folder, and a DLSS driver suggest a DLSS Nintendo device that is pretty far along in development
@kopite7kimi is a reputable Nvidia (not Nintendo) leaker who has been saying for some time that a new Switch is in dev with a chip, T239, codenamed Dane. Either @kopite7kimi knows what else is in the leak, or these already public records indicate Dane is involved - because of the file names listed above

Switch Pro confirmed?
No, not exactly. This just says that NVidia is working on a New Nintendo hardware, and it happens to use NVidia's recent-ish tech. That's unsurprising

But what about the Bloomberg report a while back? Or other rumors?
Yes, this leak is 100% consistent with all those rumors and leaks of a 4k Switch Pro. It just doesn't absolutely confirm it. To use George Carlin's phrase "it's suggestive as hell"

Can you link me to stuff?
Sure

The TechPower story about the leak:

Recent @kopite7kimi Tweet

Thank you kindly for this overview.

So with that, this is a HUGE deal both legally and nextgen Nintendo wise.

If it does come out say late this year, is the consensus that Switch isn't getting replaced by the new model for at least the next three years? I just got an OLED...
Probably not going to release this year, more likely the new hardware will be announced in 2023.

Talking and speculating are not the same as rumors. Not even remotely the same.

Hardware power doesn't define a generational leap. The jump from 3DS to new 3DS was far, far more substantial than the jump from Gamecube to Wii.

Of course. But it would be a graphical generational leap. Going from current Switch to a device capable of playing a better version of Horizon 2, when compared to base PS4, would be a huge leap when compared to current hardware performance.

NVN is the Switch's main graphics API... it doesn't take a genius to figure out what "NVN2" means :D

Looks like Switch 2 isn't far off now... and it's coming packed with DLSS! :D

It's coming late 2020, early 2021 as reports have always suggested.

That's bollocks.

Project Reality was announced in August 1993, a whopping THREE years before the N64's eventual release (recall that it was originally due to launch in 1995 before being heavily delayed).

Project Dolphin was announced in May 1999, 2 years and 4 months before the Gamecube's Japanese release.

The Nintendo Revolution was announced at E3 2004, and shown off in physical form (with the Virtual Console announced) the following year at E3 2005; 2 years and 6 months prior to the Wii's release!

Wii U was announced on April 25, 2011 and formally unveiled at E3 2011; 1 year and 6 months prior to its eventual release.

NX was announced in March 2015, formally unveiled in September 2016 and released in March 2017, 2 years following its initial announcement.

Switch was announced in October 2016 and released March 2017
Switch Lite was announced July 2019 and released September 2019
Switch OLED was announced July 2021 and released October 2021
The New 3DS line was announced August 2014 in Japan and released October 2014
New 3DS XL was announced January 2015 for America and released a month later
The 3DS proper was announced via one line in a press release in March 2010, unveiled properly at E3 2010, and released in February 2011

Nintendo has been doing less than one year between announce/release for over a decade at this point.

That's bollocks.

No, this is nonsense. "We are going to release a new console soon" is not an announcement of the console itself, which covers almost everything in your list, especially the laughable inclusion of NX which was literally just Nintendo saying they would keep making consoles in the future and not go mobile-only like some people (hilariously) thought. Even by that silly definition of an announcement, recent systems like the 3DS were still released within a year of the first "there will be a new system" "announcement" not to mention within a few months of their actual announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom