• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Super Nintendo World Parks |ST|

Mer.Saloon

Chain Chomp
Pronouns
He/Him
Super Nintendo World is the name of the themed expansions in Universal Studios Japan, Hollywood, and soon to be Signapore and
Epic Universe Orlando. For anyone whose gone to the park, or for anyone planning on visiting the parks, this thread is for your experience and future news on the park.​
1600px-SNW_Universal_Studios_Hollywood_announcement_early_2023_a.jpg

Rides

Mario Kart Bowser's Challenge-

This is the headline attraction of SNW and is available in both parks. Mario & Co. have been challenged by Bowser to a race to see who's the fastest Kart racer in the Mushroom Kingdom. Utilizing a mix of AR tech and physical props, the goal of this game is to rack up a high enough coin score to win the race. Guests arrive into the karts in groups of four, though single rider queueing is available.

Yoshi's Adventure (Japan Exclusive/Coming to Orlando) -​

This is a ride themed around Yoshi's Island, with a bit of Captain Toad thrown into the mix. It's a very slow paced ride made for the younger crowd, and is kind of like a game of I Spy. You ride in the Yoshi car and are helping Captain Toad find the lost Yoshi eggs, and when you spot one, you hit a panel on your car saying you saw one.

Power Up Band Minigames

Yeah, the parks sell these bands (at $40 USD) that you will need if you really want to experience the most out of this area of the park. As while all these activities can be done without the bands, you won't be able to save any progress of the results, and you will not be able to play Bowser Jr's Challenge.

These bands are reusable, so as far as we know you only have to purchase them once. Just keep them somewhere safe. They also act as their respective character's Amiibo, so you can use them to unlock specific goodies in games like Mii costumes in MK8 etc.
ush-snw-power-up-bands-options-134026.jpg

Throughout the park, there are a variety of minigames to play, each of which unlocks a key that you can use to unlock a final minigame challenge against Bowser Junior and rescue the golden Mushroom. I'm going to list off the games as expressed by Mario Wiki.

Goomba Crazy Crank: The key for this challenge is guarded by a Goomba who sits on top of a rolling hill. Guests need to turn the crank fast enough to knock the Goomba off the hill and retrieve the key.

Koopa Troopa POWer Punch: The key for this challenge is guarded by a Koopa Troopa. The challenge involves timing the chain-reaction impact of a series of Red POW Blocks to launch a moving Green Shell at a POW Block with the key on top to collect it.

Piranha Plant Nap Mishap: The key for this challenge is guarded by a red Piranha Creeper. You have to smack around a group of clocks to stop the alarms from waking up the Piranha creeper. When you

Thwomp Panel Panic: The key for this challenge is guarded by a Thwomp. Guests have to turn every Flipswitch Panel on the touch screens from blue to yellow before the Thwomp slams down. Touching one switch can affect others close-by.

Bob-omb Kaboom Room (JP Exclusive/Coming to Orlando): Bob-Omb has shrunk you down and you have to assemble the key in the underground level before it explodes again, and knocks you out.

Bowser Jr.'s Challenge (Power Up Band exclusive)
This is the ultimate goal of gathering all the keys. When you've assembled five keys, you are allowed to challenge Bowser Jr to a fight to reclaim the golden mushroom. Several guests are brought together into a big room where your silhouette will be projected onto a screen, and you use your whole body to complete this challenge by smacking Bob-Ombs into Bowser Jr, and avoiding the various bullet bills coming your way. Everyone's a winner, but guests will still be tallied by their score counter at the end.

Stamps/Achievements
image00020-480x852.jpg

Yeah, this land is a bit different from other Universal Parks in that you need to use the Universal Studios app to also get the most from the experience of the park itself. Using this app, you can transfer progress from your Power Up Band to the app and unlock a variety of stamps. These stamps are basically achievements, and are split up into Categories.

• Super Nintendo World - Stuff you do within the land itself. Challenges that fall under this involve earning a variety of coins, or visiting the land at specific times. These seem like they will encompass future expansions to the park as well, such as Donkey Kong.
  • Super Mario Land - These stamps are specific to the Mario themed area of Super Nintendo World though many of their challenges are themed to the activites you can do in that part of the park, and the secrets specific to it.
  • Mario Kart - These challenges are about accomplishing goals in the Mario kart themed attraction, such as earning a high score or more esoteric achievements, such as not hitting any of your team-mates during the ride.

Toadstool Cafe + Gift Shops
Toadstool_Cafe_Menu_Phase_1_A_1.4.23.jpg

What's cookin'? Well it so happens to be a fresh supply of mushroom themed delights from the kitchen of Chef Toad himself. Enjoy your time and relax to screens of the Toads either working in the kitchens to screaming in fear as Bowser attacks for the hundreth time.

Atm, this will shift about regularly to include new meals, which are likely to include more options for Vegetarian and Vegan guests.

The start of this menu change is Bowser's Fireball Challenge. A big Bower shaped chunk of mozzerella on top of a big meatball dotted with spices galore.

There's also the gift shop in the 1-Up Factory, where you'll find plenty of Mario themed memorabilia. Though Japan gets a second gift shop in "Mario's Motors" which includes a tad more content than what is available in the current shop.

Future Expansions
img_01.jpg

Things are looking to get pretty hairy in the future, as Japan preps for a future expansion into a Donkey Kong themed land, which is under construction as I write. This land isn't officially planned to be coming to Universal Hollywood... yet. So keep your ears open for the future.

What we know so far is that the land is planned to have a Donkey Kong themed coaster, which will have guests riding in a minekart on a track that will simulate the experience of jumping through various Donkey Kong minecart levels. More specific details are TBA.

Both Mario and Donkey Kong will be the starting lands for the future new theme park, Epic Universe, set to open in 2025 in Orlando Florida.

Epic-Universe-Concept-Art-Labels2022-scaled.jpg

250px-Universal_Islands_of_Adventure%2C_Orlando.jpg

As for even further out?

Rumor has is, that several Islands of Adventure rides may soon be getting a bit of a Zelda facelift. Reteheming of older rides to make way for adventures in Hyrule.

Pokemon is also rumored to be included in future expansions, but details about that property specifically are less concrete. So we're just going to have to wait and see there.

Disclaimer:

JK Rowling's properties are in Universal Studios and she makes some money off them being in the park. Please be aware of this. If you intend to still go to Universal at any point in the future you can do mitigate your impact by not purchasing any of the Wizarding World themed products.

Last edited:
I'm roughly 25 minutes from Universal Studios Hollywood. Seriously considering going at some point, and potentially recording my trip to make a fun Fami thread about.

I'm roughly 25 minutes from Universal Studios Hollywood. Seriously considering going at some point, and potentially recording my trip to make a fun Fami thread about.
Hope you do that :D

Thinking of going in a few weeks myself. I live about an hour away and looking to have some time off. Tho I feel like waiting till the weather is more California warm lol

Japan also got a special themed show with exclusive costumes and character's we've yet to see show up in the park, ala Yoshi. And we get our first look at Pokemon in Universal Studios. Seems to me this won't be the last of Pokemon in the future. Nintendo segment is at 5:21.

Hollywood:
For those of you going to SNW soon, according to a rumor, the Toad costume is ready. All Universal is waiting for is the right actor to portray Toad in the costume. It was always kinda weird that he was the only one you couldn't meet in Hollywood. Then again, a lot about the Hollywood opening felt rushed, and even now as we speak, it seems like there's a constant pace to improve it.

Epic Universe:

For those still holding out on Epic Universe, this video is our most comprehensive look at the new construction for Super Nintendo World, and the pace the park is at. Check out the before and after picture 8:23 too to see just how much progress has been made. The whole thing looks to be well on track for 2025.

Something about Hollywood has struck me. When the Super Nintendo World themed store (outside the land) goes away, maybe that will be the new sight of Nintendo LA. You know, the Nintendo store, like the ones in New York and Japan. Hence why there is no game merch being sold atm. They could maybe expand the place a bit, but it's a pretty perfect location for the next one.

Epic Universe Construction Update:

We've really got a good look at the Donkey Kong coaster in this pic. And a pretty good idea how these two will look as a full section. Though I can't help but notice how DK's section is kinda dwarfed by the Mario Kart building.

I wish those parks wouldnā€˜t be each on the other side of the world for me. In Europe there are very few of branded theme parks for the better or the worse. We still have great from an international perspective underrated Parks like Efteling, Europapark or Phantasialand with unique theming. But I would really like to have the possibility to buy that Nintendo merch or to eat one of those burgers. Please Nintendo open at least a Nintendo store over here, I want to give you my money!

I'm hoping to fly out to Hollywood sometime in the next few months to go experience this! I get free admission so might as well.

Wonderful OT, thanks for putting this together @Mer.Saloon !

I'm going to the Hollywood park in a few days this next Wednesday and Thursday so this thread is a perfect place to share my first-time experience of SNW in!

My partners and I are planning to visit the Hollywood location in April, so I'm curious to hear some impressions from users here.

In particular, we're kinda big guys so I'm slightly concerned if we'll even fit on the Mario Kart ride.

A review of the food from the No Limit Parade. Sheesh this all looks so unhealthy, but I do want it.

My partners and I are planning to visit the Hollywood location in April, so I'm curious to hear some impressions from users here.

In particular, we're kinda big guys so I'm slightly concerned if we'll even fit on the Mario Kart ride.
Wonderful OT, thanks for putting this together @Mer.Saloon !

I'm going to the Hollywood park in a few days this next Wednesday and Thursday so this thread is a perfect place to share my first-time experience of SNW in!

Hoping you have a good time there! I won't be able to go for a long while. But I hope you all have great individual experiences!

I don't know when I'll get to go to one of these parks but I do know I won't have enough money for the merch lmao.

I'm not as well caught up with the contents of the theme park, but are there only 2 rides? (Mario Kart and Yoshi?)

In Japan yeah. There are only two major rides being Mario Kart and Yoshi. Hollywood only has Mario Kart. You're not missing much without Yoshi though as that is a very slow kiddie ride with little interaction. When DK joins, we'll have 3 major rides.

In Japan yeah. There are only two major rides being Mario Kart and Yoshi. Hollywood only has Mario Kart. You're not missing much without Yoshi though as that is a very slow kiddie ride with little interaction. When DK joins, we'll have 3 major rides.

So it's like the VC and NSO.. the longer you wait.. the more you get when you pay ;)

So it's like the VC and NSO.. the longer you wait.. the more you get when you pay ;)
I mean, you have the mini-games which are part of the overall experience of the land and you still have the rest of the park if you want more "ride" rides. There's always Jurassic World which is a dang fun experience, or Mummy and Transformers.

Hollywood I'm afraid just doesn't have the real estate for more.

I consider the powerup band games to be a 4th attraction alongside Mario Kart, Yoshi, and Donkey Kong cause so much of the parks fun is built around it. But I can see why it wouldn't be included since it's not an actual ride you sit in. (and you need to pay $40 more for it)

Powerup band games are also where the "Super Mario Bros." experience fits in cause the 3 rides are based on spinoff game series.

I wonder what will be the impact of the Theme Park in the Q4 Earnings Report. Expecting a growth in IP related revenue.

Im not expecting too large a share for this quarter. USJ is a park that draws way more attendance than USH but IP revenue has still been a blip to Nintendo's bottom line. Maybe with Switch weakening the combined effect of the parks and movie can lead to a bigger share next FY though.

I wonder what will be the impact of the Theme Park in the Q4 Earnings Report. Expecting a growth in IP related revenue.

Judging by these initial observations, Nintendo definitely isn't losing money. The bigger winner is definitely Universal though.

So they've been possibly getting over 150K on the per daily with new customers coming in for SNW and the Power-Up Bands alone.- Inside Universal Forums

Im not expecting too large a share for this quarter. USJ is a park that draws way more attendance than USH but IP revenue has still been a blip to Nintendo's bottom line. Maybe with Switch weakening the combined effect of the parks and movie can lead to a bigger share next FY though.
It would be interesting if Nintendo does bring a Nintendo store LA to this park how the synergy between the two would feed into one another. Your parents are already taking you on an expensive trip, what's a new game or system gonna be on top of that?

Our first look at some DK theming? The arrow is pointing at that block that will be a stone facade that we've seen in the model. This is happening pretty dang fast by theme park standards. I can't wait to see what this looks like by the end of the year.

EA5wJNkU8AAr6op.png

Honestly more than anything, in regards to the DKC area I'm just really dying to know if that elephant there actually is Ellie from DKC3, or if it was some kind of slip up on Universal Creative's part (i.e they searched "DKC elephant" on Google for reference and they came across Ellie's design instead of the generic one from Returns)

Like it's just funny to me that of all things appears to be the only pre-Retro DKC reference in the area thus far lol. I guess it doesn't seem so unlikely with Swanky Kong in his DKC3 outfit appearing in the Mario movie, but yeah.

Maybe by 2028, Metroid will have a themed outhouse guests can use. #DreamBig

Seriously though, I think it'd be really cool to see something Animal Crossing related. It has the popularity, and family friendly appeal.

I'm not even super into theme parks usually, but with all the DKC stuff I'm really looking forward to visiting this one.

I just noticed that in this photo, we get a really good look at the whole "split track" from the ride concept. We see the upper most track split off for the kart to make a jump. That's gonna be so surreal when it's finally done.

Maybe by 2028, Metroid will have a themed outhouse guests can use. #DreamBig

Seriously though, I think it'd be really cool to see something Animal Crossing related. It has the popularity, and family friendly appeal.
There is a lot of potential for a Metroid themed attraction even without a whole land. Considering a lot of Metroid games take place underground or indoors, you could have a very fun dark ride and have that be enough. The same for a Luigi's Mansion.

Honestly more than anything, in regards to the DKC area I'm just really dying to know if that elephant there actually is Ellie from DKC3, or if it was some kind of slip up on Universal Creative's part (i.e they searched "DKC elephant" on Google for reference and they came across Ellie's design instead of the generic one from Returns)

Like it's just funny to me that of all things appears to be the only pre-Retro DKC reference in the area thus far lol. I guess it doesn't seem so unlikely with Swanky Kong in his DKC3 outfit appearing in the Mario movie, but yeah.

I've been thinking about this. I think Universal are going to be picking a choosing references from Rare's games as well as Retros, mainly in the department of characters. While the visuals will reflect Retro, the characters will be a mix of Rare and Retro, especially with the animal buddies.

It seems to me the animal buddies are going to take the place of the Mario Land's Power Band minigames as sort of friendly challenges for the guests.

Here's another thought. Will DK have more than just the coaster? Maybe they'll try to have something like Bowser Jr's challenge that combines a bunch of Power Up band challenges into one final thing. Like saving the banana hoard or something from the Tikis, the Snowmads or K. Rool.

Today's the day! In a couple hours I'll finally be able to experience this. Been waiting years for this so I am so unbelievably hyped!!

I got done with my day at the park. This was a dream come true. When I went down the escalators and could see Super Nintendo World in the flesh I was containing childlike glee and just saying Wow at everything. That entrance into the land just feels unreal. I can recognize the incredible craft put into the HP lands but I didn't grow too attached to that franchise beyond seeing the movies long ago so it never connected with me that much. Mario though is something that's been with me my entire life as a lover of videogames.

Hands down this is my favorite spot in any theme park in the world even if other areas may do certain elements better. Orlando will truly be something special when it gets it. For now, Super Nintendo World delivered for me to fly across the country to see it, and the rest of Universal Hollywood was a great park that delivered some new experiences to me that aren't in Orlando. (I really enjoyed Jurassic World, the Studio Tour, and WaterWorld to name a few!)

I have 1 more day here at the park tomorrow and I'm gonna just savor every last bit of it cause this is the last time I get to step into this world until it opens at Epic Universe. My goal tomorrow is to get on Mario Kart as many times as I can since I only got to do it once. šŸ˜

I got done with my day at the park. This was a dream come true. When I went down the escalators and could see Super Nintendo World in the flesh I was containing childlike glee and just saying Wow at everything. That entrance into the land just feels unreal. I can recognize the incredible craft put into the HP lands but I didn't grow too attached to that franchise beyond seeing the movies long ago so it never connected with me that much. Mario though is something that's been with me my entire life as a lover of videogames.

Hands down this is my favorite spot in any theme park in the world even if other areas may do certain elements better. Orlando will truly be something special when it gets it. For now, Super Nintendo World delivered for me to fly across the country to see it, and the rest of Universal Hollywood was a great park that delivered some new experiences to me that aren't in Orlando. (I really enjoyed Jurassic World, the Studio Tour, and WaterWorld to name a few!)
I have 1 more day here at the park tomorrow and I'm gonna just savor every last bit of it cause this is the last time I get to step into this world until it opens at Epic Universe. My goal tomorrow is to get on Mario Kart as many times as I can since I only got to do it once. šŸ˜
Heads up, there's hidden achievements for the Mario Kart ride. Be on the lookout šŸ˜‰

Is it the floating ? Blocks? I saw a couple of those but I ran out of shells so I couldn't always get them lol
Be aware the arrows have meaning on the ride. You steer towards the arrows and it contributes to your coin score.

Get hyped DK fans

Been meaning to talk about this. I wonder how fast this coaster will be.

We know the effect making this "jump" work, but going at normal coaster pace gives me the shivers.

And accounting for the leak where you can "help" DK, how is that? Are we gonna get goggles for this ride too? Do something interactive?

Been meaning to talk about this. I wonder how fast this coaster will be.

We know the effect making this "jump" work, but going at normal coaster pace gives me the shivers.

And accounting for the leak where you can "help" DK, how is that? Are we gonna get goggles for this ride too? Do something interactive?
I don't think you'll actually interact with DK, "helping" him will just be riding the ride.

I don't think you'll actually interact with DK, "helping" him will just be riding the ride.
Isn't that what the get Golden Banana achievement is about? The other one is about "helping" Donkey Kong 5 times. Unless that just means ride the ride 5 times.

SMBPhotoopfront.jpeg

Super Mario Bros. Movie Photo Op and Overlay Added to Universal Cinema

On a trip to Universal Studios Hollywood today, we noticed a new photo op, promoting the upcoming Super Mario Bros. Movie. The fun doesnā€™t stop there, as there are also a number of 3 dimensional warp pipes in front of the building, and character graphics on the windows.

CitywalkSNW-Wide.jpeg

Hey, we have photo ops coming to the park in hype for the movie, and some excerpts from the gamespot interview with Miyamoto, mostly hinting at the future additions to the park.

Yum Yum. Bowser's Fireball Challenge has just been officially added to the menu! Here's a review of it! There's also some new merch at the 1UP Factory.

More merch is on the way for Japan (and eventually here I'm sure). I'm guessing this Power Up band is basically like the gold Mario amiibo.

Quoted by: Tye
Tickets to Universal Studios Hollywood actually got sold out already for this Saturday and Sunday. I think this Nintendo thing may be popular... šŸ˜‰

Tickets to Universal Studios Hollywood actually got sold out already for this Saturday and Sunday. I think this Nintendo thing may be popular... šŸ˜‰
It's also Spring Break. Not that Nintendo isn't popular of course!

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Yeah, Spring Break is definitely a big seller. Though imagine all those crowds buying Nintendo merch. I'm sure that those stores will be empty by week's end.

I feel for the staff at Toadstool cafe though. Busy busy busy.

More merch is on the way for Japan (and eventually here I'm sure). I'm guessing this Power Up band is basically like the gold Mario amiibo.

Iā€™ve been stressing out about how the hell Iā€™m gonna get this thing since yesterday because I need it for my 100% complete amiibo collection, uuuughā€¦

Iā€™ve been stressing out about how the hell Iā€™m gonna get this thing since yesterday because I need it for my 100% complete amiibo collection, uuuughā€¦
I'm sure it'll be here eventually. It's not like there's a difference between the Japanese and american bands. I think.

Quoted by: Tye
I'm sure it'll be here eventually. It's not like there's a difference between the Japanese and american bands. I think.
Iā€™m not gonna take my chances hoping that a currently Japanese exclusive amiibo with limited availability is gonna get a release outside of Japan, lol. I didnā€™t wait on Qbby or the first set of Monster Hunter Stories amiibo either and Iā€™m very glad for that because it turns out that was the right call, haha. Plus itā€™s not like itā€™s gonna matter a whole lot either way, because even if the Hollywood location does eventually sell it there, Iā€™m still gonna have to pay a reseller to get one because Iā€™m not gonna spend the money on a trip to Super Nintendo World just for an amiibo. =P (Never mind the fact that Super Nintendo World doesnā€™t really interest me much in its current form; thereā€™s only Mario stuff, the location nearest me is smaller than the others with less attractions, and there arenā€™t even any vegan options on the menu, so I canā€™t see it being a very worthwhile experience for meā€”certainly not for the cost and trouble it would take to travel there, at least.)

But yes, the Power-Up Bands are the same when it comes to their amiibo data regardless of region, however the Toad Power-Up Band does differ between Japanese and Englishā€”it says ā€œKINOPIOā€ instead of ā€œTOADā€ on the Japanese version. Still want to get an English version eventually since I only have the Japanese one, but since the amiibo are otherwise identical I havenā€™t bothered yet.

Hollywood

Merch update with this here hoodie design.

Also for those of you who didn't see, Kit and Krysta gave their own overview of the park

Epic Universe

As mentioned in the Donkey Kong thread, we also have another look at the state of construction for the Donkey Kong area. Coming along nicely.

Theyr're adding the decals this early? But the construction is going to be in the rain for the next two years. That'll require maintaining.

Why the Nintendo store is going to be next to a moonpie restaurant is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom