• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Starting September 6, Sony is increasing the price for PlayStation Plus 12-month subscriptions globally across all benefit plans

Yeah i heard some people talking about they are going to have day 1 releases like gamepass being announced. But it's only rumors
Idk, I'm not sure they would ever go for that. At least for their AAA first party games given they still sell very well. Maybe for some bigger 3rd parties? I feel like them beefing up their legacy stuff is the more likely addition, though.

PlayStation Plus Price Increase Australia​

• PlayStation Plus Essential 12-Month Subscription
    $95.95 AUD (was $79.95 AUD)
  • PlayStation Plus Extra 12-Month Subscription
    $169.95 AUD (was $134.95 AUD)
  • PlayStation Plus Deluxe 12-Month Subscription
    $196.95 AUD (was $154.95 AUD)

ouch

ouch
Yikes. Really makes the $60 I pay for Nintendo online worth it...

ouch
Yiiiikes. We are getting it bad. Really glad I don't own a PS console this gen.

Just canceled my sub.
My PS5, when it's not collecting dust, is a single player machine and i don't remember ever using the advantages that the extra tier provide at any point.
It sucks for cloud saves but hey i'm done giving money to Playstation for a feature that should be free.

Thank you for making this decision really easy Jim Ryan.

Yiiiikes. We are getting it bad. Really glad I don't own a PS console this gen.
Yeh, Australians are getting absolutely Shafted here.

For comparison on like to like services

Nintendo Online + Expansion Past $59.95 a year (Approx $5 a month)

Platstation Plus Extra $169.95 a year (Approx $14.15 a month)

X-Box Game Pass Console doesn't offer a year sub, $11.95 a month (Gamepass ultimate here is $18.95 a month, which is the most expensive option out of all the services)

ouch
I can’t even fathom the amount of content a subscription service would need to have for me to pay this much money for it.

Yeah i heard some people talking about they are going to have day 1 releases like gamepass being announced. But it's only rumors
If this is the case, they could've announce it differently. At least offer better PSN games with the announcement of the price increase to ease the pain. I mean, the reactions section on the PS blog is a bloodbath right now.

12€ more for Essential ... which is basically just online play, cloud saves and those two or three random games each month that i mostly don't even play.

I'm subbed until Days of Play next year, don't think i'm going to renew this.

PS5 sales probably not reaching goals made Sony desperate.

Announcing such a huge subscription increase without substantial improvements may result in more cancelled subscription than they expected.

I can’t even fathom the amount of content a subscription service would need to have for me to pay this much money for it.
If it had every Sony published PS1-PS5/PSP/Vita* game native or cloud version to play (current games added 6 months after launch) along with online play, cloud saves, a variety of 3rd party titles, and big exclusive discounts on the remaining games on psn, that might come close to justifying this price hike.

With the service as offered now? Woof no thanks

*I know some Vita games wouldn't work without without the back touch, just assume anything that could be ported would be

I don't pay for online on any of my consoles and I'm happier for it. Just wish that people who think it's a bad idea would actively cancel and not just grit their teeth and complain through multiple price increases, as it usually happens

I won’t be renewing at that price.
a) it’s not worth it .
b) it’s an obnoxious , unjustiable price rise, no need for it.

The only online gaming I do is From software summoning so I’ll maybe rejoin for a month when needed.

Jim Ryan is steadily ruining PlayStation gaming for the likes of me.

I’ll stick with buying games online, mostly during sales with cheaply bought psn cash.

I don't pay for online on any of my consoles and I'm happier for it. Just wish that people who think it's a bad idea would actively cancel and not just grit their teeth and complain through multiple price increases, as it usually happens
Ultimately it doesn't matter if I'm happy/upset about paying for online or think it's a good/bad idea to charge for the feature. If I want to play online multiplayer I have to pay, end of discussion. Where I do agree with you is people who pay for expensive tiers (like the nso+ep or ps+ premium), complain they don't offer enough to justify the price, but have still stacked like 5 years of sub for the few things they are playing.

Heyooo, everyone!

God, I haven’t touched my PS4 Pro since I bought and player Persona 5 Royal, and that was… 😳 About a year ago. I told myself: I’ll get a PS5 for FFXVI and play late PS4 released game. Haven’t done that, and the way Sony is handling their ecosystem isn’t really stimulating me to get into brand again. I’m honestly more excited for the Switch 2 than I am for the PS5, Slim/Pro whatever. And I’ve always been a Sony/Nintendo gamer. I’ve owned every console since the PS2. I even bought a refurbished OLED Vita.

sigh Guess I’ll get a PS5 when Kingdom Hearts IV comes out, and even so, it’ll be a single player console, seeing as how I’m not into online play, plus all the other games I’d get would be single player as well.

Ehh, disliking a price increase and deeming the benefits of a provided good or service still worth paying the increased price aren’t mutually exclusive.

Personally, I don’t like any price increases because I’d rather pay less money than more. However, I have no issues with cancelling a service once the cost passes a certain threshold. I wasn’t my paying $60 for PlayStation Plus so I’m absolutely not paying $80 and a sale likely isn’t dropping it below $60.

Digital "ownership" barely means anything anymore, yet they act like they're offering a premium luxury product while offering even less. Sony has been high off their own fumes ever since they started this generation and have only gotten worse. Do they realize most people still begrudging accept the minimum tier as a mandatory entry fee for online play, and view the games that come with it as extra bonus freebies that might be kinda worth checking out once every several months? A handful of people can come up and tell me about how the higher tiers happen to fit their playing habit use cases enough to be worth the plunge, but you can't tell me hiking up the bottom tier so much and so often is not a huge middle finger to everyone who's not really in it for the games.

Microsoft set an awful precedent with Live to begin with, this never should've been normalized in the first place, and now PC gaming is rapidly becoming the only sensible route. Console holders need to come to terms the fact that convenience is all they have left to offer and lean harder into that, stop pretending there's something special and privileged about gaming on a console.

Back
Top Bottom