• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Starting September 6, Sony is increasing the price for PlayStation Plus 12-month subscriptions globally across all benefit plans

Bishop89

Piranha Plant
PSBLOG

Here are the new prices for PlayStation Plus 12-month subscription plans.

PlayStation Plus Essential 12-Month Subscription
79.99 USD | 71,99 Euro | 59.99 GBP | 6,800 Yen

PlayStation Plus Extra 12-Month Subscription
134.99 USD | 125,99 Euro | 99.99 GBP | 11,700 Yen

PlayStation Plus Premium 12-Month Subscription
159.99 USD | 151,99 Euro | 119.99 GBP | 13,900 Yen

The new prices for the 12-Month subscription will remain at a discounted rate when compared to purchasing the 1-Month or 3-Month subscriptions over a 12-month period.

For current 12-month subscribers, this price increase will not take effect until your next renewal date that occurs on or after November 6. However, any membership changes you make on or after September 6, such as upgrades, downgrades or buying additional time, will update your plan reflecting the new prices.

This is the push I needed to not only cancel my subscription so it doesn't renew but also invest more into my PC for online.

Microsoft introducing paid online and subscriptions to consoles remains their greatest sin. All they proved was that companies will get away with it, hence Sony and Nintendo jumping on the bandwagon.

Guess I won't be re-subbing next year. Shucks, will play multiplayer games on my PC then!

The last time I bought a years playstation plus, it cost me ~£30.

What's the actual increase here, because this sounds like a lot, but I assume.i was buying it at a slashed price to begin with...

it really feels like Sony has been taking the piss with price increases this gen. I know MS did this recently too but Sony's new PS Plus tiers are barely over a year old and honestly isn't worth the increases they are instigating.

The subscription model is really beginning to hit a wall and it's us customers who are getting taken for a ride.

This is 4 the gamers
The last time I bought a years playstation plus, it cost me ~£30.

What's the actual increase here, because this sounds like a lot, but I assume.i was buying it at a slashed price to begin with...
The prices in 2022 were:
60$ and € and 50£ for the yearly essential, 99$ and € and 84£ for the yearly extra and 120$ and € and 99£ for the yearly premium

Thats a big no, specially since Sony doesn't have regional prices in goddamn 2023, and they use the exchange they want for prepaid cards

It's pretty clear that most consumers (across all mediums) don't care enough about the content to enjoy the huge amount of options offered by subscription services. So you end up having this two-tier console base of

1. Very hardcore consumers who play dozens of games a year including many indies
2. People who play 1-2 big AAA games a year

Group 2 won't buy a subscription unless it was too cheap to be viable, group 1 will pay a huge amount for a subscription. So the optimal strategy is to soak group 1.

Obviously, this sucks.

But what makes this much worse for gaming is that online access is locked behind subscriptions.

Netflix and it's conseqeunces have been a disaster for the human race (Yes I know XBOX live predates netflix but this obsession with sub growing started with it)

roughly 33% increase

The base price for the minimum tier in the US was $60, it will now be $80.

This is 4 the gamers

The prices in 2022 were:
60$ and € and 50£ for the yearly essential, 99$ and € and 84£ for the yearly extra and 120$ and € and 99£ for the yearly premium

Oof, yeah, that's pretty bad on all accounts then.

I guess this is the end result of hitting that upper limit of subscribers in capitalism...

From a consumer perspective, “So let’s raise the price!” is such a wild strategy to stagnant subscription growth.
  1. If people were hesitant to subscribe at current prices, they’re less likely to do so with an increase.
  2. If Sony is merely attempting to squeeze more money from existing subscribers after determining that the profits from renewals will more than offset the loss of those who unsubscribe, well, back away not today, Disco Lady.
I get that corporations aren’t your friends, but many of them aren’t this brazen about it either.

From a consumer perspective, “So let’s raise the price!” is such a wild strategy to stagnant subscription growth.
  1. If people were hesitant to subscribe at current prices, they’re less likely to do so with an increase.
  2. If Sony is merely attempting to squeeze more money from existing subscribers after determining that the profits from renewals will more than offset the loss of those who unsubscribe, well, back away not today, Disco Lady.
I get that corporations aren’t your friends, but many of them aren’t this brazen about it either.

No, it's the optimal business strategy as they realize that passionate consumers are willing to pay way more and that most of their consumer base would pay basically nothing.

This is, of course, not good for people who care a lot about gaming or movies.

This reminds me that when it comes to subscription services if you can stack...do it as soon as possible if you absolutely know you'll be using the service consistently for years to come. Did it with game pass which is why the price increase has no short-term or medium term effect on me.

No, it's the optimal business strategy as they realize that passionate consumers are willing to pay way more and that most of their consumer base would pay basically nothing.

This is, of course, not good for people who care a lot about gaming or movies.
Good for Sony, but I wasn’t referring to its business strategy. I literally said “From a consumer perspective...”

My favourite part is no real attempt to even justify the increase in the blogpost. Flat out just said it’s going to be the exact same service, just more expensive, as a footnote at the bottom. Not like this is a marginal increase either, it’s pretty hefty.

I’m glad fighting game devs are taking PC and crossplay more seriously now. Those are really the only online games I play on Playstation, and I don’t get much value of PS+ games since my time to play games is more limited now. Probably would’ve kept letting my sub renew since I didn’t even think about how much I get out of it, but they’re giving me a good reason not to here.

Oh well, i think another one (many, actually) should take my ring to mordor, then.

It’s basically this:
Good for their financials. Most people are gonna stay subbed anyway.
A lot of subscription services greatly benefit from people being too lazy to cancel them once in the ecosystem.

A lot of the games they put in the Extra tier usually are in sale for dirt cheap on PSN. I’ll likely downgrade to essential and just buy the games that interest me when I’m ready to play them. The BC element of the Premium sub hasn’t even justified me not just hooking up my PS3.

My favourite part is no real attempt to even justify the increase in the blogpost. Flat out just said it’s going to be the exact same service, just more expensive, as a footnote at the bottom. Not like this is a marginal increase either, it’s pretty hefty.

I’m glad fighting game devs are taking PC and crossplay more seriously now. Those are really the only online games I play on Playstation, and I don’t get much value of PS+ games since my time to play games is more limited now. Probably would’ve kept letting my sub renew since I didn’t even think about how much I get out of it, but they’re giving me a good reason not to here.
are you forgetting you can now play the Saint's Row game that...most people hated?

Oh, great timing, I’ve been looking for things to cut from my budget and this is up for renewal in a couple months.

It’s basically this:

A lot of subscription services greatly benefit from people being too lazy to cancel them once in the ecosystem.
Understood as that’s what I was alluding to with the second item. I get it from Sony’s side; I still think it’s a crummy thing to do to customers.

Personally, I can’t justify the price bump. I don’t use PlayStation Plus enough to subscribe for an entire year especially since I got the last few years on sale. I’ve already unsubscribed to Netflix. Unfortunately, most people are unwilling to give up their online friends, and Sony obviously knows this.

jim-ryan-laughing.gif

are you forgetting you can now play the Saint's Row game that...most people hated?
My other favourite part lol. You would think this announcement would come with a list of bangers for September if they were trying to remind people how much value the service provides.

They’re not even trying. As other people have mentioned, whatever subs they lose are not going to offset the gains from the majority who keep subbing at a much higher price.

conspirational part of me feels like they may just reverse this as part of some pr stunt to show they “care”

Made a general comment in the main PS thread re this clownshoes announcement so won't regurgitate that here. Just to add me to the list of people that can't/won't stay subscribed after this increase. Hopefully it is a very, very long list.

And I said goddamn. If I wasn't going to bother with online for my PlayStation before, I sure as hell ain't doing that now.

Really feels like Sony's just been holding their customers upside-down and shaking them for loose change in every possible way this generation
Lmao, sounds like that prick that walks around on the streets in Yakuza Zero 😂

The sad truth is that is is probably closer to what it actually costs for these companies to sustain these video game subscription services.

Kind of why, as cool as Gamepass is for consumers, I've never really been the biggest fan as I think it's just going to cause some kind of implosion of the idea somewhere down the line.

That said, hopefully we start seeing some more legacy content added with this news.

Yikes! Well, I guess I'll prioritize any PS Plus Extra games and dip out before November 20th. Too rich for my blood.

Back
Top Bottom