• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Starting September 6, Sony is increasing the price for PlayStation Plus 12-month subscriptions globally across all benefit plans

PS3 era but with 0% chance of failure. Nothing like the 360 and Wii to keep them in check.
Dunno man. Maybe not failure, but a decline is possible in the cards. This is a pretty steep increase after all.

The sad truth is that is is probably closer to what it actually costs for these companies to sustain these video game subscription services.

There is no way in the world you can convince me that the basic service which provides online play, cloud saves, and a handful of old title licenses, costs sony ~four times what it does Nintendo to run the basic NSO single person price.

The entire point of these services is it's a pretty easy way to gouge consumers who are already locked in to your ecosystem. The average attach rate by the end of a consoles life is maybe 10 games, if the companies are lucky, and many of them will have been at significant discounts. But if you can tie people down to an expensive sub for several years of the consoles life, that's practically free money.

Feels like the sort of thing where they announce it early, wait for people to stack up on a bunch of ps plus before the price increases, and then "Due to fan feedback we are reverting our decision and will no longer be increasing the price"

There is no way in the world you can convince me that the basic service which provides online play, cloud saves, and a handful of old title licenses, costs sony ~four times what it does Nintendo to run the basic NSO single person price.

The entire point of these services is it's a pretty easy way to gouge consumers who are already locked in to your ecosystem.
Guess I should have clarified but when I said "video game subscription services" I meant subscription services that provide video games (specifically modern games). Things like online play and cloud saves should not be included behind a paywall, I agree. All 3 are severely guilty of that.

Dunno man. Maybe not failure, but a decline is possible in the cards. This is a pretty steep increase after all.
The way I see it moves like this doesn't hurt them at all. PS is the default console platform now and forever. I don't doubt people aren't going to continue their sub. It'd be a small portion though and the remaining subbers are going to cover for them plus add extra (heh get it)

The sad truth is that is is probably closer to what it actually costs for these companies to sustain these video game subscription services.

Kind of why, as cool as Gamepass is for consumers, I've never really been the biggest fan as I think it's just going to cause some kind of implosion of the idea somewhere down the line.

That said, hopefully we start seeing some more legacy content added with this news.
Nope, the sad truth is Sony has been making money hand over fist, but they legally need to want more since they are a public company and can be held in contempt of their shareholders. This leads to these companies gouging consumers, instead of being happy with healthy profits.

Also, it costs pretty much nothing for Sony to allow online. Considering that if you buy CoD, it uses Activisions servers, if you buy any other game, the developers are responsible for maintenance and keeping the servers on. The only thing that Sony has to pay for, is the servers for their own games, which is pretty few, and they get money when you purchase that game too.

As for the games, it costs Sony practically nothing to have their own games on the service. They do need to pay for third party games, but that cost is negligible. Remember that Sony already made their money back, when they released their game to retail.

Guess I should have clarified but when I said "video game subscription services" I meant subscription services that provide video games (specifically modern games). Things like online play and cloud saves should not be included behind a paywall, I agree. All 3 are severely guilty of that.
But even that isn't the case. Subscription services are so lucrative because they're basically easy money for console manufacturers. Even when you account for services that involve licensing games, they just adjust the price already at launch of the new service so they keep making money hand over fist. PS+ Extra is already more expensive for reasons other than to just break even, they're making tons of money off those too.

Also, it costs pretty much nothing for Sony to allow online. Considering that if you buy CoD, it uses Activisions servers, if you buy any other game, the developers are responsible for maintenance and keeping the servers on. The only thing that Sony has to pay for, is the servers for their own games, which is pretty few, and they get money when you purchase that game too.
I'm not talking about paid online, as that's bs that we have to pay for that for any of the 3 systems.

Microsoft introducing paid online and subscriptions to consoles remains their greatest sin. All they proved was that companies will get away with it, hence Sony and Nintendo jumping on the bandwagon.
It's always felt so jarring to see paid online presented as a necessity when PC gaming exists. Once ppl showed a willingness to spend the money, the logical conclusion is for them to see how far they can push the envelope.

I won't be surprised if the minimum tier for NSO goes up for the Succ.

Feels like it's just been negative hit after negative hit for PlayStation as of late. Just not an exciting brand right now, with all of the price hikes, focus on GaaS, and lack of any standout single player games on the immediate horizon after Spider-Man.

They're kicking the shit out of Xbox, but they're the much more exciting brand at the moment it feels like.

Microsoft increases gamepass prices by like 10 to 15 percent, removes the 1:1 gold to ultimate conversion and $1 sign up. So Sony quadrooples down on that apparently. 33 percent woof. Extra was pretty good value for a while there. I know subscriptions were fairly cheap but what a jump.

Feels like the sort of thing where they announce it early, wait for people to stack up on a bunch of ps plus before the price increases, and then "Due to fan feedback we are reverting our decision and will no longer be increasing the price"
this is the sort of thing I kinda feel like they will do to

I only use the basic plan to play online (Which i haven't for several months). Time to turn off the automatic renewal.

See how Sony just fucking sucks and everything they do is fucking lame? YOU SEE? I say this and people always get mad at me, Sony is by far the worst company on the "big 3" (4 if we count Valve)

Paid online is fucking ridiculous.
$80 a year for paid online is absolutely fucking ludicrous.

Can you imagine asking that much money, and somehow offer less value than Nintendo does with their shittier sub...

It's always felt so jarring to see paid online presented as a necessity when PC gaming exists. Once ppl showed a willingness to spend the money, the logical conclusion is for them to see how far they can push the envelope.

I won't be surprised if the minimum tier for NSO goes up for the Succ.
My Hope Is that they at least still have a family plan. If I'm going to pay for online it shouldn't be more than $10 a year

I know ps5’s are selling, and they dont need to do anything really. But i think that between this and the very dull showcase they had after over a year of silence, they should do something exciting again. I dont know, the brand just seems boring to me now compared to how excited I was about it from 2013-2020. Maybe it’s due to a lack of games this year outside of spiderman, probably thanks to covid, not sure. Just wish they would excite me again.

This could be bad wonder if this means the other companies will think its ok to raise their prices as well. Nintendo could be like if sony is doing it why cant we. I mean nintendo online was free until nintendo saw sony and micro start charging so then Nintendo decided to join in on paid online

The bad thing about this price hike is that we're seeing a proliferation of GaaS games on PS. Even Sony themselves are investing far more in GaaS game development than single-player games.
They already sell items in their GaaS games for a fee and make a ton of money from the royalties. Yet they still charge consumers exorbitant multiplayer fees, and even raise them, which is a real shame.

This could be bad wonder if this means the other companies will think its ok to raise their prices as well. Nintendo could be like if sony is doing it why cant we. I mean nintendo online was free until nintendo saw sony and micro start charging so then Nintendo decided to join in on paid online
The only thing I think stopping Nintendo is the fact that really the only games on their platform with worthwhile online features are Mario Kart and Splatoon. Now, once COD comes...

Already cancelled my auto-renew. Between this and most Sony titles going to PC eventually anyways, I think I'll just start saving up to upgrade my PC instead of getting a PS6.

So glad I'm only really using my Ps5 for Single player experiences. Only online multi games I have is SF6 with MK1 on the way, and i'd just get bodied online so....

😰

And suddenly the discourse on Socials is Óh wow actually Nintendo online isn't bad value'

I don't pay for PS+ and that certainly won't be changing now. Actually crazy.

If anything however, this is only increasing the artificial value of NSO xD

I've always been a Nintendo/Playstation dude, but I've honestly felt pretty disconnected with the Playstation ecosystem since the PS4 days. I stopped caring about their exclusives after the PS3 era and I always thought the PS4 was such a sluggish piece of shit to use with the worst controllers ever made. Most multiplats I care about are also on Switch these days and I find myself getting them on Switch over my PS5 more often than not if the Switch version is good enough. I only ever paid for PSN+ with discounted codes and there's no way I'm paying $80 for the same service. At this rate the PS5 is probably going to be the last Sony console I ever buy, especially with the next gen Switch on the horizon lol

I mean this seems like a given just because they typically do something before TGS. But it does also seem like they tend to drop negative news right before doing something more exciting.

If you buy prepaid cards, how many years can you stock up on now before that September deadline?
Sony removed the prepaid plus cards (though maybe they are still out there). They went to PS Plus branded gift cards in denominations that were close to the tier prices ($30, $55, $70, $110). Best bet is to lock another year in before the 6th or wait for the inevitable discount they have 3 or so times a year. Recently things went on sale for 30% and they sometimes do “upgrade” sales to top off the rest of your current sub.

Yeah i heard some people talking about they are going to have day 1 releases like gamepass being announced. But it's only rumors
That’s the only justification for such a big increase. I assume this is the card they play to try and gain subs. I assume it would be a premium exclusive the way the prices went. But considering that could be 2 games paid for at launch, it’s not so bad. Though I could also just delay things for 2-3 years and get them at $10-20 physical.

Back
Top Bottom