• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Starfield |Pre-Release Discussion Thread| Skyrim in Space (Up: game has gone gold)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starfield looks like the promise No Man's Sky made, fulfilled. It all looks so lovely. And I know we got carefully selected footage but I'm happy to see it's not very janky.
The fact that we got a presentation of 45 minutes that never reuses footages gives me a lot of confidence for this game.
It looks awesome.

The other big issue I'm seeing is they had zero alien humanoids or other creatures to deal with. It's just all people. I need that to change real fast.
Yeah, when they announced "Elder Scrolls in space" I was immediately imagining all the different races we could play as, each with their own abilities.
Kinda disappointed it's only humans, but seems like it's the direction they're going for. Humans are seemingly alone in this universe, and desesperatly search for someone else.

Maybe for the sequel. I imagine the main quest will end with us finding a highly intelligent alien life form. Maybe the sequel could take place some hundred of years in the future, mankind has found alien civilizations and are starting to join the cool alien club.

Yeah, when they announced "Elder Scrolls in space" I was immediately imagining all the different races we could play as, each with their own abilities.
Kinda disappointed it's only humans, but seems like it's the direction they're going for. Humans are seemingly alone in this universe, and desesperatly search for someone else.

Maybe for the sequel. I imagine the main quest will end with us finding a highly intelligent alien life form. Maybe the sequel could take place some hundred of years in the future, mankind has found alien civilizations and are starting to join the cool alien club.
That's been my suspicion/hope for a while now, haha.

It's amazing how quickly it went from "amazing" to "pass" for some people just because of 30fps on console.

Well, the promise of the generation is 4K 60FPS. If people are finding 30fps below standard, it's logical that this game might not have everyone on board.

Either way, capping it to 30 on Series X is... certainly a choice when a framerate mode that's 60fps 1440p could be more than feasible (I think?) considering Series S will run at 1440p/30fps.

Also, I'm just here for the inevitable "Is the Series X holding the generation back?" memes

EDIT: I read it's apparently the console CPU that "caps" it. Disregard my comments.

Last edited:
This game just looks daunting. I haven't subscribed for Xbox Gamepass for a while, but I guess it is time again to do so with all the goodness coming up :).

the special edition controller and headset are available now. sold out fast but it seems like they’ve been restocked? ymmv

if i didn’t already have three xbox series controllers i would absolutely buy one. i still might buy one honestly.

edit: still up on amazon and it is so cool.

Last edited:
Even with the CPU bottleneck, I wouldn't be surprised if the X got a 40fps mode or unlocked more later down the line. But I'm not expecting it. Wonder what the PC port will look like?

Even with the CPU bottleneck, I wouldn't be surprised if the X got a 40fps mode or unlocked more later down the line. But I'm not expecting it. Wonder what the PC port will look like?
imagine the Gabe Boy videos 👀

also, I'm really disappointed the watch is just a dumb watch. even if it costed more, a proper themed Android Wear watch would have been the most bitchin piece. well someone will make a proper hardware mod and software skin

I’ve put my pre-order in for it. Don’t care to learn anything more about it I’m ready to deep dive into this game.

the special edition controller and headset are available now. sold out fast but it seems like they’ve been restocked? ymmv

if i didn’t already have three xbox series controllers i would absolutely buy one. i still might buy one honestly.

edit: still up on amazon and it is so cool.

That controller looks sick, but I have no need for it lol. I do need a headset for my Xbox, $125 is too rich for my blood.

When Todd said that this was going to be 30fps only on console, I literally screamed fuck you at my screen. How dare they insult me like that? Etc.pp.

Super interested to see how it'll do on PC, too. Should make for an interesting CPU benchmark, haha.

This game could sway me.

If I don't get a Series S over the holidays it's only because I wouldn't know how to spend all that time (600 hours minimum) in front of the TV.

This game could sway me.

If I don't get a Series S over the holidays it's only because I wouldn't know how to spend all that time (600 hours minimum) in front of the TV.
Probably my biggest issue with Starfield (or even, looking ahead a bit, Elder Scrolls VI eventually): I simply can't spend that much time in front of a monitor or TV anymore. ;-(
Really need a way to quickly pick up and play these things on portable hardware...

Well, maybe on Steam Deck 2 or something like that. 😂🤷‍♂️

This is one of the rare occasions that I want to play a game not in Nintendo hardware (the first one since 2003).

I can not believe that I am looking the prices of the Xbox X because this game.

How much these games cost on a Xbox? US$ 60 or US$ 70? The HD space that comes in the console is enough for this one?

Probably my biggest issue with Starfield (or even, looking ahead a bit, Elder Scrolls VI eventually): I simply can't spend that much time in front of a monitor or TV anymore. ;-(
Really need a way to quickly pick up and play these things on portable hardware...

Logitech G Cloud is what you’re looking for

This is one of the rare occasions that I want to play a game not in Nintendo hardware (the first one since 2003).

I can not believe that I am looking the prices of the Xbox X because this game.

How much these games cost on a Xbox? US$ 60 or US$ 70? The HD space that comes in the console is enough for this one?

Starfield is running $70 for the standard edition. If Starfield will be your first game on the system then you will have more than enough room. Right now the PC version is ~125GB.

By the videos, I thought this would easily surpass 500Gb. But I am totally clueless about PC gaming and other consoles, so for me, this size seems not bad at all.

I get that. I have a Series S and while the size will be a little smaller give the lower resolution and specs, I am still expecting 100GB plus.

Streaming is a big no-no, sadly, within my circumstances and use cases. Looks pretty neat otherwise!
it does remote play really well! i love mine, it’s turned my ps5 and series s into super powered Switches.

By the videos, I thought this would easily surpass 500Gb. But I am totally clueless about PC gaming and other consoles, so for me, this size seems not bad at all.
Fortunately no game anytime soon will be getting close to 500GB 😅

Also this game has been in my head ever since the dedicated showcase. That's one of the best single game direct type streams ever.

I gotta look into upgrading my CPU cause I know it'll bottleneck my rig like hell.

Controller pre-ordered. Skipping the headset. Did you see the Deluxe Upgrade they are selling for game pass users to just get the digital code + physical steel case?

I really hope this game delivers.
I was not interested in it after the last time we saw it.
Now I am pretty hyped.

Does a lot of what No man's sky does but hopefully more coherent (and beautiful).

This game is why I have Gamepass. They seem to have changed the artstyle from the previous trailer though, and I really liked that vibe.. we'll see.

Deep dive was interesting. Hope the game lives up to the hype, bit disappointed about 30fps on Xbox but I'll live. With a lot of grumbling.

I would be okay with/maybe even prefer no intelligent aliens in the game, it’s a style of science fiction that I tend to gel with where humans expand into space and differentiate over time. Aliens tend to stand in for allegory in these kinds of stories, and I’d rather it be a game about humanity discovering its place in space on its own terms rather than contending with a metaphorical aspect of itself to find the answer.

intelligent aliens tend to suck because they're designed to resemble humans and it's just a fancy elf/dwarves/whatever shit than something the truly feels like they evolved under different circumstances

I have the same problem, I prefer to play big rpg/jrpg on Switch even at the cost of sacrificing something in terms of graphics.

I'm hoping for Drake, but I doubt Microsoft will let me know beforehand. 🤣

p. s. i don't like streaming either

intelligent aliens tend to suck because they're designed to resemble humans and it's just a fancy elf/dwarves/whatever shit than something the truly feels like they evolved under different circumstances
Personally I wanted it to be space elves/cats/lizards because I wanted it to be Space Elder Scrolls lol

But I'm fine with the direction they went. I'm just not a fan of the armors, being NASA space suits inspired for the most part.

I would be okay with/maybe even prefer no intelligent aliens in the game, it’s a style of science fiction that I tend to gel with where humans expand into space and differentiate over time. Aliens tend to stand in for allegory in these kinds of stories, and I’d rather it be a game about humanity discovering its place in space on its own terms rather than contending with a metaphorical aspect of itself to find the answer.
Yep. Also, perhaps I'm misunderstanding here but it feels like some people are responding to this with a "damn what an oversight, you forgot the humanoid aliens Bethesda!" kind of approach, when it's really a deliberate and legitimate world-building choice

If only we can get Children of Time as a video game

TOTK is probably my most favourite game ever, but I have a feeling it's going to be a fierce battle between TOTK and Starfield at The Game Awards in December.

The game looks absolutely fantastic. I don't feel up for that sort of experience right now but will definitely keep an eye on this. Crossing my finger for yall that this will turn out as fantastic as it looks so far!

TOTK is probably my most favourite game ever, but I have a feeling it's going to be a fierce battle between TOTK and Starfield at The Game Awards in December.
just the fact that this sentence exists is a dub for microsoft as they been lacking contenders for a while

I didn't watch the whole conference or follow previous news and besides I'm out of the Microsoft world since x360.

So I wanted to know if they had announced any more details, about the game on the series S and if the latter is a worthwhile purchase.
I ask because the last time I bought a console (ps4pro) I bitterly regretted it.

I didn't watch the whole conference or follow previous news and besides I'm out of the Microsoft world since x360.

So I wanted to know if they had announced any more details, about the game on the series S and if the latter is a worthwhile purchase.
I ask because the last time I bought a console (ps4pro) I bitterly regretted it.
it's "native" 1440p on Series S, which is a high watermark

*I put native in quotes because it can either be dynamic, upscaled, or both

it's "native" 1440p on Series S, which is a high watermark

*I put native in quotes because it can either be dynamic, upscaled, or both

I see, I would have been fine with 1080p as well, so great.

I can definitely consider buying a Series S then, I just hope storage space doesn't prove to be an issue.

Thanks 🙂

I see, I would have been fine with 1080p as well, so great.

I can definitely consider buying a Series S then, I just hope storage space doesn't prove to be an issue.

Thanks 🙂
well they did just announce a 1TB version and memory cards are coming out from other makers

Xbox Series S : 1440p / 30 FPS
Xbox Series X : 4k / 30 FPS

At this very moment, there's no talk of a future 60 FPS update.

I'm not very surprised with this to be honest ; no a single trailer / teaser of the game ran at 60 FPS before.
I'll give it a test on my PC with the Game Pass to see how it run (i5 12500k, 3060 Ti, 16 Gb of DD5).

watching the DF video, it looks like those resolutions are upscaled. the Series X looks to be in the realm of 1296p, which means Series S is 835p

well they did just announce a 1TB version and memory cards are coming out from other makers

I hope they have much lower prices than Microsoft memory expansions, it seems to see the psvita situation. 🥶

I did some calculations and a 512GB Series S (priced at 230€) + 512GB memory expansion costs more than the 1TB version. ☹️
I hope these third-party expansions arrive soon.

Xbox Series S : 1440p / 30 FPS
Xbox Series X : 4k / 30 FPS

At this very moment, there's no talk of a future 60 FPS update.

I'm not very surprised with this to be honest ; no a single trailer / teaser of the game ran at 60 FPS before.
I'll give it a test on my PC with the Game Pass to see how it run (i5 12500k, 3060 Ti, 16 Gb of DD5).
I read some comments talking about MODs. They said Starfield on series S and X will support them? 😶

I hope they have much lower prices than Microsoft memory expansions, it seems to see the psvita situation. 🥶

I did some calculations and a 512GB Series S (priced at 230€) + 512GB memory expansion costs more than the 1TB version. ☹️
I hope these third-party expansions arrive soon.

I read some comments talking about MODs. They said Starfield on series S and X will support them? 😶
Not yet but that wouldn't surprised me ; Bethesda pushed to get mods on Xbox One & PS4 for both Skyrim & Fallout 4 and while it had some limitations, it still allowed for quite a lot to come, like the amazing "The Forbidden City" (yes, the game is based on a mod they made before for Skyrim).

I guess we'll have to wait a bit more to hear about this.

Finally got around to watching the entire preview. Really enjoyed Fallout 4 and love space shit...so was already looking forward to the game.

As soon as they said you'll get rewards for scanning entire planets and systems I was like "shit...I'm going to have to do all that and love every second of it". I hope anyway. I dug the whole Planet Scanning system in Mass Effect 2.

And then staffing your ship/outposts to bring in resources...like a 3D Fallout Shelter (which I really enjoyed).

And the spaceflight/combat has some strong FTL vibes (which I absolutely love).

And the regular old ground combat looks decent too. And there's powers too I guess (was that what they hinted at the end?)...I mean, I did already say I liked Mass Effect.

So yeah, I'm sold.

Edit: I will add that as much as I appreciate good graphics and realistic environments, having super-duper accurate atmospheric lighting/planetary orbits/whatever else is cool and impressive...but doesn't add much to the gameplay/fun considering how much time/effort/processing it takes to achieve them.

But I'm old...this was my first space game.

asteroids-by-atari-classic-video-games-reviewed.jpg

Last edited:
Not yet but that wouldn't surprised me ; Bethesda pushed to get mods on Xbox One & PS4 for both Skyrim & Fallout 4 and while it had some limitations, it still allowed for quite a lot to come, like the amazing "The Forbidden City" (yes, the game is based on a mod they made before for Skyrim).

I guess we'll have to wait a bit more to hear about this.

I see, I guess there will be limitations of the type of mods depending on the console

I see, I guess there will be limitations of the type of mods depending on the console
Sony had a lot of things that restrained what PS4 owners could get for mods.
Xbox owners had much more freedom.

The only "big" restrain was every PC mod that needed external softwares or DLLs like Skyrim Script Extender or FNIS and stuff like that.

Considering the size they did not lose their touch with file optimization Skyrim was huge for its time and was barely above ten gigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom