• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Starfield Metascore Prediction Thread

Starfield will be...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
The Starfield review embargo lifts tomorrow at 9am PT/12pm ET.

This is one of the biggest and most significant releases in a year that has been full of big and significant releases. More than anything though, it marks the (hopeful) rousing comeback of one of the best and most beloved developers in the industry with their literal magnum opus.

Time to throw your hat in the ring: what will Starfield's Metascore be? This poll will close before the embargo lifts tomorrow.

P.S. ignore the little comments in the brackets on the poll, those are just space themed inside jokes for the three people who will get them (though hopefully some of them are self explanatory!)

Last edited:
I'm going with the 80-84 range. It will be great, but there will be enough reviews talking about the standard Bethesda bugs that will bring the score down a bit.

I'm not really sure. I thought most of the leaks were very well received and considered GOAT material, then apparently there were leaks about loading zones and invisible walls that pissed people off?

I definitely think it will be somewhere in the 87-98 range, with 90-94 probably being the safest bet.

The review code situation is weird. I will say 90-94 because it's Bethesda and a lot is riding on this game. However, I will vote 75-79 on the off chance that it's a mess so I can pretend that I always knew.

I'm not really sure. I thought most of the leaks were very well received and considered GOAT material, then apparently there were leaks about loading zones and invisible walls that pissed people off?

I definitely think it will be somewhere in the 87-98 range, with 90-94 probably being the safest bet.
The outrage is manufactured attempts at console warring by bad faith actors

For example, one of the latest bouts of concern trolling outrage was people flipping shit that they couldn't land on and explore every planet, and that the scale of the game had been misrepresented.

The planets they were complaining about not being able to land on were gas giants.

I feel like scores in general have been trending higher than usual lately, so while it's feeling more like an 85, I'm gonna go with 90-94. Expecting a flat 90, but wouldn't be shocked if it's a little higher.

In my heart, the game will be in the 60s at best.

In my brain, I know it'll be in the 80s at worst.

I split the difference and voted for 75. It'll be wrong, but I'm sticking to my guns.

84. See you in the review thread.

Hmm. Feels like admins are prepping the site for a meltdown whenever it gets lower scores. A conspiracy's afoot.
See you in the review thread.

fresh-prince-room.gif

me in the review thread while everyone else is too busy playing Starfield

In my heart, the game will be in the 60s at best.

In my brain, I know it'll be in the 80s at worst.

I split the difference and voted for 75. It'll be wrong, but I'm sticking to my guns.
Why in your heart? I myself am mixed on Bethesda games (loved NV, which isn't really Bethesda, liked Oblivion / Skyrim as a kid, mixed on Fallout 3 and 4) so I'm curious as to your perspective.

Hmm. Feels like admins are prepping the site for a meltdown whenever it gets lower scores. A conspiracy's afoot.
See you in the review thread.
You ain't seen shit yet. You'll be asking "How deep is the rot?" when the corrupt, fake news, pro-Sony reviewers make Starfield end up at a 70, and the lowest tier of the new PlayStation Plus subscription plan ends up at 80. One point per dollar spent by the consumer. It's a sad world.

Why in your heart? I myself am mixed on Bethesda games (loved NV, which isn't really Bethesda, liked Oblivion / Skyrim as a kid, mixed on Fallout 3 and 4) so I'm curious as to your perspective.
I don't respect their output of the last 15 years. There's been barely any growth gameplaywise and Starfield looks like it won't add anything of substantial value outside of the usual shallow dreck that Howard proudly parades. Storywise, they also flounder quite badly, especially in recent years, and that they have basically not had any significant explanation as to what the story is in Starfield pretty much since inception inspires no confidence in me. My heart score is only fairly high because Oblivion in space with a shinier coat of paint is still worth a couple brownie points.

Oblivion was the last thing I truly loved that they had a hand in directly.

The game mechanics look to me like a fairly generic RPG-lite shooter, so I think it'll depend on how most reviewers feel about the scope/freedom versus the actual moment to moment gameplay.

I'm gonna say 80-84, wouldn't be surprised if it's lower or higher at all.

There hasn't been a more important review drop for a long, long time. Nintendo would have been fine if TotK got an 88, Sony the same with Ragnarok or whatever other exclusive. But with the decline in Xbox hardware sales and general malaise around the brand it really feels like an entire part of the Xbox business model is relying on this being a critical and commercial smash hit.

They need this to be 90 or higher. I think they'll achieve it.

The outrage is manufactured attempts at console warring by bad faith actors

For example, one of the latest bouts of concern trolling outrage was people flipping shit that they couldn't land on and explore every planet, and that the scale of the game had been misrepresented.

The planets they were complaining about not being able to land on were gas giants.
I want to even say that it was said in the E3 presentation video that not all of the planets were going to be explorable, some people just want to be angry.

I am so conflicted on this one cause it feels like it could genuinely be a low 80 to maybe around a 94 lmfao. So I went with 89. The trailers didn't inspire me with regards to the shooting mechanics but this isn't a shooter so I don't think it will impact reviews too much.

I’m honestly not hyped for this game at all, and pretty pessimistic on AAA games overall (I was extremely cautious on cyberpunk before reviews) but idk something feels different about this one.

From the leaks, scale, time, and sheer importance I really think this one will be Bethesdas magnum opus, even if it’s not for me.

Predicting 95.

There's absolutely no way this game is gettin anything lower than 90. Fallout 4 got to the high 80 through hype alone. A seemingly more polished game will get there even without hype
90-94 seems like a safe bet, tho I won't be suprised if it gets a 95

Last edited:
90-95
Shooting for the stars.

People will nitpick the minorest most inane stuff imaginiable, but I think just like with Skyrim, all that wont matter when it gets in peoples hands and they see what they can really do.

You ain't seen shit yet. You'll be asking "How deep is the rot?" when the corrupt, fake news, pro-Sony reviewers make Starfield end up at a 70, and the lowest tier of the new PlayStation Plus subscription plan ends up at 80. One point per dollar spent by the consumer. It's a sad world.

More like less than one minute per dollar spent. Consumers don't even know what's best for them. Anything above 80 MC is a sure sign of moneyhatting and bought reviews. I don't even know what words are coming out of my mouth right now.

How deep is the rot indeed.

Shame we didn't have one of these for Baldur's Gate 3.

90+

Not a clue how high above that. It looks and sounds like a varied and improbably large experience. That alone carries a fair amount of weight so long as the core gameplay is fun.

93 has been my prediction for a while and I'm gonna stick by that. Would be surprised if it fell below 90 and not surprised if it went above 95.

It's almost certainly going to be in the 90-94 range, i'm gonna guess 92, though I could see it being a Skyrim situation where it gets a 95-96.

I don't respect their output of the last 15 years. There's been barely any growth gameplaywise and Starfield looks like it won't add anything of substantial value outside of the usual shallow dreck that Howard proudly parades. Storywise, they also flounder quite badly, especially in recent years, and that they have basically not had any significant explanation as to what the story is in Starfield pretty much since inception inspires no confidence in me. My heart score is only fairly high because Oblivion in space with a shinier coat of paint is still worth a couple brownie points.

Oblivion was the last thing I truly loved that they had a hand in directly.
This is like if I were to say I hope Metroid Prime 4 gets a 60 because the last Metroid game I cared about came out over 2 decades ago.

What a weird mindset to have, nobody forced you to interact with anything Bethesda or Starfield related if you truly don't care about or respect them.

It's almost certainly going to be in the 90-94 range, i'm gonna guess 92, though I could see it being a Skyrim situation where it gets a 95-96.

This is like if I were to say I hope Metroid Prime 4 gets a 60 because the last Metroid game I cared about came out over 2 decades ago.

What a weird mindset to have, nobody forced you to interact with anything Bethesda or Starfield related if you truly don't care about or respect them.
I guess so? Am I not allowed to be critical of stuff I'd like to care about? Either way, that comparison doesn't even track, Bethesda puts out the same game but slightly worse every few years, Retro hasn't made a single Metroid Prime in about the same timeframe.

We've seen enough of Starfield to get a decent enough approximation of what it'll be. We haven't gotten that for Metroid Prime 4, which is still a complete mystery in just about every regard.

To be fair, they didn't say they hope it gets a low 60, they said in their heart it will be a 60 (which matches up to them not liking what BGS puts out), while also noting that most people will like it a lot more. No real harm in that.

just an fyi, apparently alot of UK outlets don't have copies or didn't get them until very recently, so it may be a while before the score finalizes

I'm going with the 80-84 range. It will be great, but there will be enough reviews talking about the standard Bethesda bugs that will bring the score down a bit.

i mean BG3 got a 96 and i dealt with more severe bugs in that game than any Bethesda game outside of... New Vegas, which was Obsidian.

I think it’s gonna do very well, 90+, though I wouldn’t be surprised anywhere in the 85-97 range.

Back
Top Bottom