• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Star Wars |ST| SW fans cannot help what they are. Their passion leaves a trail. The enthusiasm for Star Wars is like an itch. They cannot help it.

Yeah, agreed, it was pretty bad.

Edit: Ah shit...

Last edited:
John Williams won’t retire from composing for movies, plus possible concerts in 2024 & 2025

A recent article in Deadline has shared a conversation with 91-year-old legendary composer John Williams, containing the following exciting news regarding composing for movies:

Williams, 91, told The Times newspaper: “If a film came along that I was greatly interested in, with a schedule that I could cope with, then I wouldn’t want to rule anything out. Everything is possible. All is before us. Only our limitations are holding us back. Or, to put it more simply: I like to keep an open mind.”
JohnWilliams-CinemaVienna2024-Berlin2025-Main.jpg

I actually didn't know about this.

I thought this was old but good news.

I'd be amazed if he isn't back for the New Jedi Order film, at least in some capacity, even if limited. He's apparently very proud of Rey's Theme (and rightly so!!), and said he would love to compose more for the character.

Did my tradition of doing up some skillet pasta and sitting down to watch the new episode of Star Wars, only to be rudely reminded that D+ "event" shows premiere in primetime instead of at 12:01am.

Anyway my pasta is now cold

Not sure how many shows so far have implemented this rendering style but the space scenes in The Acolyte actually look like blue-screened model shots instead of "perfect" realistic CGI shots and for some reason that reads so much better to my eyes?

Not sure how many shows so far have implemented this rendering style but the space scenes in The Acolyte actually look like blue-screened model shots instead of "perfect" realistic CGI shots and for some reason that reads so much better to my eyes?
Yeah, I like it.

Anyway, done with the first episode.

On to the next one!

Done!

How did everyone enjoy it?

I'm still mulling it over.

For the time being, I'll start up Star Wars Jedi: Survivor while I consider my overall thoughts on the two-episode premiere.

I am very positive on it so far, but I'll spoiler my thoughts...

I really like how it initially seems as though the mystery surrounds Osha and her apparently evil twin sister, but over the two episodes it becomes clear that the Jedi are hiding something and maybe Mae isn't the bad guy either.

Something is really fishy about the whole situation on Brendok. Why would the Jedi Order station four of their own Masters on that one planet and what did they do on that planet that made two of them exile themselves, one of which would rather commit suicide than confess their crimes to the Jedi Council?

Mae also strongly implied that Carrie-Ann Moss' Jedi attacked or killed an unarmed individual or individuals, which is curious given that Osha believes Mae killed everyone and that the Jedi saved her before she died too.

(slight tangent related to Andor)

It actually reminds me a lot of the mystery surrounding Kenari and the "mining incident" that led to the Republic cordoning the planet off and left all those children without any adults to look after them, where it seemed as though Cassian being from that planet was a much bigger problem than him killing some random security guards.

Of course Kenari wasn't actually the centre of some grand galactic conspiracy but something tells me Brendok might be.

I was feeling kind of mixed on the Acolyte after the first episode last night, so much so that I didn’t immediately watch the second one, which I just finished this morning. The second episode must be better or something because I really like it now and I’m looking forward to next week.

I enjoyed the two eps, but they were slightly above 'fine' for me.

I don't have any real negatives so far (apart from the standard clunky dialogue we expect from Disney+ Star Wars that isn't called Andor these days), but I also don't have any huge positives either. Characters are pretty decent I guess, visuals are nice, set design and production quality all good.

Hoping things pick up a bit, story wise. I suppose the first two eps of Andor were similar, then things kicked off and built week on week.

On second thought, I do sort-of agree with some of the above.

On another note, I also felt that the urgency and mood wasn't quite there. It felt like a "Disney show" through and through. It was fine, don't get me wrong. But it needed a bit more "oomph."

Lucasfilm need to start hiring writers that aren't mega Star Wars fans. Like when they hired Tony Gilroy. People who don't obsess over putting in tons of lore details and continuity and focus instead on telling a good story.

Acolyte eps 1 and 2 were fine, inoffensive, but pretty bland and predictable. But hey, it should hopefully get better as the story develops. Fingers crossed.

As a side note though, I'm getting really really sick of "stoic" characters with zero personality or emotion in these Disney+ shows. It made Mando season 3 almost unwatchable, and Ahsoka a bit of slog to get through at times too. Vernestra the latest. Where are the Luke, Han, Leia, Rey, Poe, Finn types, you know, characters with a personality, who talk like normal people? Hot take, but god I miss the movie days of Disney Star Wars.

Lucasfilm need to start hiring writers that aren't mega Star Wars fans. Like when they hired Tony Gilroy. People who don't obsess over putting in tons of lore details and continuity and focus instead on telling a good story.

Acolyte eps 1 and 2 were fine, inoffensive, but pretty bland and predictable. But hey, it should hopefully get better as the story develops. Fingers crossed.

As a side note though, I'm getting really really sick of "stoic" characters with zero personality or emotion in these Disney+ shows. It made Mando season 3 almost unwatchable, and Ahsoka a bit of slog to get through at times too. Vernestra the latest. Where are the Luke, Han, Leia, Rey, Poe, Finn types, you know, characters with a personality, who talk like normal people? Hot take, but god I miss the movie days of Disney Star Wars.
I hate to say but I was so much more interested in watching Sabine during Ahsoka for this reason. I mean Dawson did a great job performing the character but I dunno how I feel about the writers/director deciding that character is supposed to just be "stoic badass with painful past."

Same thing with Bill Burr's character being probably the most compelling in Mandalorian (to me anyway) even though he was only in a handful of episodes. I love those types of characters. Probably why Andor clicked so hard with me.

Last edited:
I hate to say but I was so much more interested in watching Sabine during Ahsoka for this reason. I mean Dawson did a great job performing the character but I dunno how I feel about the writers/director deciding that character is supposed to just be "stoic badass with painful past."

Same thing with Bill Burr's character being probably the most compelling in Mandalorian (to me anyway) even though he was only in a handful of episodes. I love those types of characters. Probably why Andor clicked so hard with me.

Totally agree.

I woke up today expecting to see the newest episode of The Acolyte, but it would appear they don't get uploaded until 2am my time. 😭

Well now the third episode is out...

I do not believe what we saw was what really happened, or at least it was very heavily redacted since Osha conveniently didn't actually see anything that went down. The idea that Mae could burn down the entire settlement with such a small flame is a bit silly anyway, but not as silly as everyone in the coven dying before anyone could safely evacuate.

Given that many of the witches in the coven sought to kill the Jedi before they could take Osha and Mae from them and the Jedi, in turn, were not subtle about their threats and evidently were not taking no for an answer either, it's easy to see how things could have gotten out of hand and very violent very quickly.

I don't believe the Jedi went to Brendok with the express intention of killing the witches, but it is deeply suspicious that three Jedi Masters and a padawan would be sent there to spy on them in the first place given the planet was otherwise uninhabited. It would have cost the Jedi nothing at all to leave the coven in peace, but if the Jedi knew that the coven wielded the dark side of the Force then that's likely reason enough in their eyes to step in. Training children to wield it is probably where the coven crossed the line as far as the Jedi were concerned.

Now the question is whether or not the show will go the safe and cliché route and have Koril revealed to be the mysterious master that Mae serves, since it would be easy to have Osha and Mae team up against their own mother.

I do not believe what we saw was what really happened, or at least it was very heavily redacted since Osha conveniently didn't actually see anything that went down. The idea that Mae could burn down the entire settlement with such a small flame is a bit silly anyway, but not as silly as everyone in the coven dying before anyone could safely evacuate.

Given that many of the witches in the coven sought to kill the Jedi before they could take Osha and Mae from them and the Jedi, in turn, were not subtle about their threats and evidently were not taking no for an answer either, it's easy to see how things could have gotten out of hand and very violent very quickly.
Yeah, it sure didn't seem like those bodies had been burnt or crushed, and if it was a death by smoke inhalation than I guess everything just got better in the minutes since then.

Is The Acolyte in HDR??

Is this the first SW series to stream in HDR? Or just the first since I began to tell the difference?

I don't believe the Jedi went to Brendok with the express intention of killing the witches, but it is deeply suspicious that three Jedi Masters and a padawan would be sent there to spy on them in the first place given the planet was otherwise uninhabited. It would have cost the Jedi nothing at all to leave the coven in peace, but if the Jedi knew that the coven wielded the dark side of the Force then that's likely reason enough in their eyes to step in. Training children to wield it is probably where the coven crossed the line as far as the Jedi were concerned.

Now the question is whether or not the show will go the safe and cliché route and have Koril revealed to be the mysterious master that Mae serves, since it would be easy to have Osha and Mae team up against their own mother.

I really hope there's more to what happened, like you suggest, because otherwise it would be ridiculous. I suppose there has to be really given Torbin's actions in Ep 2.

Good episode otherwise.

I really hope there's more to what happened, like you suggest, because otherwise it would be ridiculous. I suppose there has to be really given Torbin's actions in Ep 2.

Good episode otherwise.
The recaps and such that I've read have been pretty convinced there's more that we didn't see. I'm convinced there's more. I'm sure they won't just leave it.

Back
Top Bottom