• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Square Enix confirms that Foamstars contains some AI generated art

Well, yeah. Then they wouldn't implement it, and hire actual humans. That's the point of "we need to regulate it", no?
corpos aren’t gonna be interested in this in the long run, I bet my left foot on it.
Will require a lot of money for licensing and it will take probably decades to conjure up a dataset that can even match what Midjourney has right now

Well, there you have it. Companies gonna company!

In all seriousness though, I feel like the reason Square is even doing this right now is to test the waters while the laws around this stuff are still very premature.

That way they can scrape from an unregulated dataset (Midjourney) while also being at no legal risk.

Foamstars is primed to finally satiate the western market were splatoon miserably failed by catering to the one fanbase that splatoon didn't cater, the AI Bros.

... But foamstars is blatantly trying for the Splatoon audience, which is one of the many reasons this a real bad look. If they're cutting corners like that on this kind of thing, they likely are cutting corners everywhere.
That‘s true but the overall style and setting is not strong enough anyway regardless of how many hand made album covers there are. At least in my opinion.

At this point I feel like asking for regulations is basically the same thing as just blatantly asking for no generated content, lol.
The technology behind this stuff is essentially like a copy machine; without a sprawling dataset it’s just not worth the time or money.

important update, the most recent season added two new songs to the gallery. and the "covers" aren't using AI generated art.
k8IXZIM.png
oZCDnWE.png

the images are instead photos of Bath Vegas put through various filters.
XTS7h8D.jpeg

(not the exact image, but it should be obvious it's using the same models)

i'm not really a fan of this even simpler approach, as the game's actual artists, the western-inspired duo "Gurihiru" seem completely willing to draw proper images for each cover. as they've consistently been sharing extra photos of the game characters post launch.

but regardless, it seems likely the other "album covers" will get replaced in a future patch.

while not directly related, it's also worth noting that prices on the game's various microtransactions (another major complaint about the game) are also planned to be permanently reduced in the coming weeks.
with the especially notorious $44.99 bundles being dropped to a more reasonable $24.99

i still stand by the fact that it's a genuinely good game that was tainted by Square's bullshit executive decisions like the ones mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom