• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic [Spoilers Allowed] Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck! [Read Staff Post]

Which heavily rumored "it's absolutely gonna show up this time" game are we NOT going to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be funny if the peak was because Midori was a fan of a smaller/low key franchise that's set to be unexpectedly highlighted; like because she likes Goemon this Direct will be the best because it reveals a Goemon collection for Switch coming this fall.

"Midori is japanese, so she obviously likes RPGs" is... a bit racist.
Cliché and of poor taste perhaps, "racist" is such a reach.

Let's calm down as it's not what he said. He implied that Midori was covering mostly japanese RPG news not that Midori loved RPG cause THEY are japanese.

Someone basically said because you’re Japanese you like RPG’s lmao
I mean Dragon Quest in Japan has the same status in Japan as the most popular western franchises have in the west. Its a big deal. Of course not every Japanese love Dragon Quest, like every western gamer doesn't love GTA.

I mean, they can announce some stealth cross-gen game that "looks too good for Switch" and for once this will be a true statement :LOL:
Oh, dear, you just made me realize something... we're going to get the "There's no way this is running on Switch; is this Switch 2 footage?" thing for every game announced during this Direct that doesn't look like an upscaled Vita game, are we?

Joy.

I would consider a Direct consisting of Prime 4, Fire Emblem, Silksong, Dragon Quest Trilogy HD-2D Remake and possible Zelda remasters to be peak, at least in my eyes as a fan of every single of these.

Weird take, Nintendo is the best video game company in the world so of course we expect something from this Direct after this dry/boring first half of the year
But we don’t have High expectations from Nintendo since it’s the end of the gen. The Switch 2 presentation will be high as can be expectations

I’ll be completely surprised if it’s better than Xbox showcase. Nintendo is cruising right now,

Like from a personal taste prescriptive, yeah. Nintendo will definitely be better Xbox’s showcase for me. No question. And I think it’ll be the same for a lot of us

But generally, Xbox is showing stuff off for their prime console (something they’re were behind on a bit). It’s the time were they should be in full speed ahead, and it’s showing now a bit.

Nintendo is like filling the gaps and might end on a high note swan song for their console. I expect after switch 2 we’ll be getting those “competitive” directs and showcases for all 3 companies that everyone wants to compared lol

Not really sure why we compare the Xbox Showcase vs whatever happens in the Nintendo direct, it's entirely different situations.
There was a lot of high profile content in the Xbox showcase, but it was also selling promises.. for the 4th year running and that's honestly starting to get real old with Microsoft this gen. The vast majority of games they showed was either 2025 or no date at all. That's just not great this far in to the generation.

If everything do drop in 2025 though, they'll have a pretty great year next year!

I was extremely surprised by the lack of Visions of mana (or japanese publishers as a whole really) in the showcase, I was sure it was gonna show up after not being at the game fest.

Would be hilarious if they added a Switch version and announced the date in the june direct lol :p

Number one rule of making a beliveable fake leak: Maximum number of first party first time reveals is 4. That includes remasters and even that is a rare number, most Directs have 3 brand new reveals tops.

Most of these fake leaks go like "Yeah we got fewer first party reveals in Directs so far but this Direct will be different". It never was.

Directs with 3+ first time revealed Nintendo published titles the last few years

Sep 2023 - 3
Jun 2023 - 6 (7 if we include Detective Pikachu which was only announced via PR some years ago prior)
Feb 2022 - 5
Jun 2021 - 4
Feb 2021 - 7

I'm expecting similar to last June direct, the situations was very similar as to how they are right now - and since we havnt seen anything Metroid Prime since the reveal, I'm gonna count that as a new reveal if it shows up :p

Give me Oracle Remakes, new DK game, Metroid Prime 4, and Silksong and it will be a legendary direct. But I'm thinking realistically maybe one of these.

Ive never played Fire Emblem but I think its like 100% the opener lol

Not really sure why we compare the Xbox Showcase vs whatever happens in the Nintendo direct, it's entirely different situations.
There was a lot of high profile content in the Xbox showcase, but it was also selling promises.. for the 4th year running and that's honestly starting to get real old with Microsoft this gen. The vast majority of games they showed was either 2025 or no date at all. That's just not great this far in to the generation.

If everything do drop in 2025 though, they'll have a pretty great year next year!

I was extremely surprised by the lack of Visions of mana (or japanese publishers as a whole really) in the showcase, I was sure it was gonna show up after not being at the game fest.

Would be hilarious if they added a Switch version and announced the date in the june direct lol :p

Directs with 3+ first time revealed Nintendo published titles the last few years

Sep 2023 - 3
Jun 2023 - 6 (7 if we include Detective Pikachu which was only announced via PR some years ago prior)
Feb 2022 - 5
Jun 2021 - 4
Feb 2021 - 7

I'm expecting similar to last June direct, the situations was very similar as to how they are right now - and since we havnt seen anything Metroid Prime since the reveal, I'm gonna count that as a new reveal if it shows up :p
The US is the most important market for Xbox by far, and they have been slowing down vs Playstation in the US, which is a nightmare scenario for them. Meaning they will put focus on games they think will make them competitive in the US now more than ever before. And that means stuff like Doom and Gears of war, not JRPGs.

I think this is something to keep in mind for every Direct. There are always going to be Directs that will be dream Directs for some and wastes of time for others.

For me, a Direct that has Metroid Prime 4 would automatically be peak, but I think a lot of people would want more than just that. There are many people who don't care about Metroid nearly as much as I do.
Yeah I remember one time Nate said a direct would be amazing and it was like my personal worst one of the Switch era. I’ve kept this in mind every time since lol.

Agreed though, Prime 4 is instant peak and best Direct in years automatically if it shows up and looks good

It would be funny if the peak was because Midori was a fan of a smaller/low key franchise that's set to be unexpectedly highlighted; like because she likes Goemon this Direct will be the best because it reveals a Goemon collection for Switch coming this fall.
100% on board with the Goemon Direct. All other franchises stand aside: it's IMPACT time.

BREAK DOWN
Warui yatsura wo buchikowase
Hissatsu, hissatsu, genkai pawaa
Da Hyakuretsu Panchi

Ore wa
GORGEOUS
Aa Impakato

Just need either Rhythm Heaven or Tomodachi Life and it's peak for me. I don't want to see Prime 4 yet, I want that revealed with the successor.

you know if prime 4 is 2025 it's going to be super hard for me to choose GOTY for me between my two love of Metroid and DOOM
If Metroid Prime 4 releases in 2024 it will have a legit shot at winning GOTY at TGA.

If it releases in 2025 then GTA 6 basically ensures it has no chance.

a Direct could potentially have Prime 4 and a new Donkey Kong game and be considered an awful Direct by me depending on what else was in it

everything comes down to personal tastes

If Metroid Prime 4 releases in 2024 it will have a legit shot at winning GOTY at TGA.

If it releases in 2025 then GTA 6 basically ensures it has no chance.
too be fair after how disrespectful last years game awards were I don't think Nintendo really cares about winning GOTY

Btw is this only reason we aren’t expecting this week due to the lack of insider buzz?

This would’ve been around when Nintendo usually went at E3
Its pretty much because Pyoro haven't started teasing anything that people have ruled out next week for the Nintendo direct.

Btw is this only reason we aren’t expecting this week due to the lack of insider buzz?

it's also just too close to the Keighley stuff that Nintendo has been trying to avoid being too close to

they don't want to be part of it the same way they were with E3

Its just that Dragon Quest is a huge franchise in Japan, its like teasing Zelda/Mario stuff for western audiences.
Midori's opinions regarding what qualifies as peak are not necessarily representative of the country in which she resides. We know she likes RPGs because she posts about them, but maybe she's thinking of something else

So many times I watch a direct and think it was peak and I come on here and read about how awful the direct was. A direct's quality is subjective.

Peak is subjective. If she even knows anything her “peak” is whatever her individual tastes is unless she says she meant peak for everyone.

Its pretty much because Pyoro haven't started teasing anything that people have ruled out next week for the Nintendo direct.

it's also just too close to the Keighley stuff that Nintendo has been trying to avoid being too close to

they don't want to be part of it the same way they were with E3

The bird is the word and the word has been silent.
Hmm I’m not sure I wanna rely entirely on one leaker to rule a week out, that’s also just kinda boring.

But it would be a killer third week of June if I got a direct and Shadow of the Erdtree within days of eachother!

Hmm I’m not sure I wanna rely entirely on one leaker to rule a week out, that’s also just kinda boring.

But it would be a killer third week of June if I got a direct and Shadow of the Erdtree within days of eachother!

Oh I was just making a funny. No idea when the Direct is. There were other rumors suggesting this week perhaps on the 11th but I guess time will tell. I think personally I am thinking later in the month but I'm basing that on the fact we aren't hearing anything from any insiders and Nintendo might want to distance themselves from the current gaming events and Juneteenth but this is just me guessing.

Sep 2023 - 3
Feb 2022 - 5
Jun 2021 - 4
Feb 2021 - 7
Feb 2022 first party first time reveals:
Fire Emblem Three Hopes
Switch Sports
Mario Strikers
Xenoblade Chronicles 3

That's four. I think you included Live A Live but I said strictly first party, no publishing deals or anything.

June 2023:
WarioWare Move It
Mario RPG remake
Princess Peach game
Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
Super Mario Bros Wonder

This is five due to two of the reveals were not full reveals. And yes, Det Pikachu was revealed prior to this Direct. Also no DLC's or expansion packs. Just first party IP's, first time reveals. Never before seen anywhere else. Remasters and remakes included.

Feb 2021:
Mario Golf Super Rush
Skyward Sword
Splatoon 3
Miitopia

Note that Famicom Detective Club was revealed in 2020 in a Jp Direct. I specifically said "first time reveals". They have to be releases we knew nothing about beforehand, just like the ones in those fake leaks.
Midori is saying this will be ‘peak’ as all games shown will feature mountains
Mad_mountain1.png

YOKAI WATCH!!!!

I’ll be completely surprised if it’s better than Xbox showcase. Nintendo is cruising right now,

Like from a personal taste prescriptive, yeah. Nintendo will definitely be better Xbox’s showcase for me. No question. And I think it’ll be the same for a lot of us

But generally, Xbox is showing stuff off for their prime console (something they’re were behind on a bit). It’s the time were they should be in full speed ahead, and it’s showing now a bit.

Nintendo is like filling the gaps and might end on a high note swan song for their console. I expect after switch 2 we’ll be getting those “competitive” directs and showcases for all 3 companies that everyone wants to compared lol
Yeah, I do have a feelings this will be comparing apples to oranges.

The main factor is that Nintendo is just gonna focus on stuff that is later this year, not games that are many years away in 2025 or 2026 like Xbox.

Expectations for the Switch 2 event are so high that I inevitebly expect some level of disappointment. Whether its hardware, first party, or third party

Expectations for the Switch 2 event are so high that I inevitebly expect some level of disappointment. Whether its hardware, first party, or third party
I think hardware and first party will meet most expectations. Third party has the highest chance to disappoint given that many expect stuff like GTA 6 to appear.

Here’s a thought, the Direct branding and formatting has clearly changed, but what if announcement timing has as well? The Partner Showcase was announced at 5pm EST two days before the show (which aired at 9am). Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t the 2022 Partner Showcase share its announcement timing with standard Directs? (announcement the morning before at 9am EST).

Maybe we get an announcement next Tuesday at 5pm for an airing on the Thursday, bypassing Juneteenth altogether?

Yeah pretty much, it’s never really a surprise when a Direct gets announced these days, we always have plenty of people reporting and teasing that it’s happening the moment (or sometimes even before) the week starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom