• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Sizzle Season 2024 announced)

What would you do at the world's end?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it'd be weird to announce FinalFest when we haven't even gotten the theme for Summer Nights yet - I could see them doing Summer Nights this month (as opposed to July) so they can tease FinalFest too, but I'm not expecting a full-on announcement yet.

I'm also not sure if we'll actually see Sheldon's picks fully yet but I could see a teaser for that too.

I bought Splatoon 3 with a voucher - nothing else this summer really appeals to me and I’ll be getting Zelda physical.

Any tips before I start? I’ll probably do campaign first? I’ve played maybe…10 hours of Splatoon 2 a few years ago so it has been a long time.

I think with the recent buff, I can FINALLY say that reefslider feels like a special. Still one of the worst specials in the game mind you, but the pre-rush inking gives it the ability to trap slower weapons that rely on AOE rather than mobility, which are currently incredibly powerful. There's skill expression, there's use cases... It's fine now I think

I bought Splatoon 3 with a voucher - nothing else this summer really appeals to me and I’ll be getting Zelda physical.

Any tips before I start? I’ll probably do campaign first? I’ve played maybe…10 hours of Splatoon 2 a few years ago so it has been a long time.
Definitely good to play the campaign as a refresher! After that, try lots of different weapons to see what suits you, and try not to stress too much about wins or losses (especially when playing turf war instead of ranked), because the matchmaking will quickly start putting you with and against more experienced players.

Speaking of trying new weapons, I've been enjoying the Dread Wringer recently! Once it "clicked", it started becoming relatively easy to hit 90 damage attacks on people, and it's incredible how good the weapon can make reefslider look. You can throw out a slosh, use reefslider, and slosh again right when it ends, and as long as a single slosh connects, it combos with the outside hit of the reefslider.

Do we chinwag about loosely-formed, unconsidered, sub-weapon ideas here? I been thinking about a sub that creates a temporary flinging pole (like the forks in Super Mario Odyssey) to move maybe 1-1.5x the distance of a charged splatana slash. It was born out a jealousy by this splatling player of dodge rolls and splatana charges... to give other weapons an navigation/mobility option at the cost of the sub slot.

It started off as an idea for a sub-weapon that made a temp short ink rail that mostly provided elevation, mainly to deal with the lack of flanks from un-inkable walls, but subsequently decided that's a dumb way to deal with that issue.

I pretty much only play Splatfests and Salmon Run so I'm probably overlooking some major flaw in the idea.. I guess I'm looking for some extra flavour in the stage navigation these days.

Definitely good to play the campaign as a refresher! After that, try lots of different weapons to see what suits you, and try not to stress too much about wins or losses (especially when playing turf war instead of ranked), because the matchmaking will quickly start putting you with and against more experienced players.

imo, enough campaign to get the squid roll and surge into your repertoire. I definitely underutilise the roll to my detriment.

The campaign will give you a free taster for the new weapons outside of Ammo Knight's testing range, but maybe you'd rather do that in Salmon Run, which requires some levelling up first via turf war.

Do we chinwag about loosely-formed, unconsidered, sub-weapon ideas here? I been thinking about a sub that creates a temporary flinging pole (like the forks in Super Mario Odyssey) to move maybe 1-1.5x the distance of a charged splatana slash. It was born out a jealousy by this splatling player of dodge rolls and splatana charges... to give other weapons an navigation/mobility option at the cost of the sub slot.

It started off as an idea for a sub-weapon that made a temp short ink rail that mostly provided elevation, mainly to deal with the lack of flanks from un-inkable walls, but subsequently decided that's a dumb way to deal with that issue.

I pretty much only play Splatfests and Salmon Run so I'm probably overlooking some major flaw in the idea.. I guess I'm looking for some extra flavour in the stage navigation these days.
As long as it functions similarly to dodge rolls/splatana attacks in the way it doesn't let you clear gaps you otherwise couldn't jump over, it sounds like a cool concept!

For a movement based game, it does feel like it could use more movement based sub weapons

Play the campaign, play Salmon Run, never vote for Frye in Splatfests, paint inkable walls when you can because they are rare and prescious and need to be appreciated, be prepared to go through the ranked progression loop from newbie to intermediate to advanced to pro of "always ink the base" -> "immediately rush to mid" -> "painting at the start is right, actually" -> "no, TAKE MID" -> "we're back to painting" -> and so forth in an endless cycle.

Really, the thing to figure out is which weapon/playstyle you like. Once you've got a couple candidates you gravitate towards, we can offer clearer help.

For a movement based game, it does feel like it could use more movement based sub weapons

No more movement options that aren't ink-based, please. "No paint, no movement" should be a relatively hard rule, and there's already a significant number of weapons who don't rely on having paint on the floor or walls for their mobility.

Last edited:
So from the look of it final fest won't be at the two year anni then? It just seems way too short a timeframe.

Sure the 1 year anni had a similar overalp, but it didn't have much special abbout it other than the theme and special win music.

So from the look of it final fest won't be at the two year anni then? It just seems way too short a timeframe.

Sure the 1 year anni had a similar overalp, but it didn't have much special abbout it other than the theme and special win music.
I don't see where else it could go, reasonably. It can't really be moved later into the fall season because Splatoween will almost certainly be rerun (given OtH got outfits for that), and then because Splatoween is a pretty late event it'd also feel squished between that and FrostyFest, and so on and so forth. I think having it in early September is probably the most wiggle room it could reasonably get, all things considered.

I haven't been to the beach in years, but I'm really feeling the desire to do that this summer, so I'm picking that one... assuming my wrist heals in time to participate, because I have a minor case of carpal tunnel going on, so I haven't been playing games at all for the past two weeks.

Announcing it now for the two year anniversary would've doubled the longest lead time to a Splatfest that we've seen so far. There's plenty of time.

Splatoon 2's Final Fest was announced on June 8th for July 18th. Announcing it before the upcoming fest would've made no sense; it'll probably be shortly before or after.

Announcing it now for the two year anniversary would've doubled the longest lead time to a Splatfest that we've seen so far. There's plenty of time.

Splatoon 2's Final Fest was announced on June 8th for July 18th. Announcing it before the upcoming fest would've made no sense; it'll probably be shortly before or after.
I didn't expect it to be announced now, I expected summerfest to arrive sooner to make way for an earlier announcement.

I expected something like

Summer Fest 29/6-1/7
Final Fest Announcement 10/7
Final Fest 3/9

I didn't expect it to be announced now, I expected summerfest to arrive sooner to make way for an earlier announcement.

Summer Fest 29/6-1/7
Final Fest 3/9
Maybe its:

Summer Nights: 13-15th July
Aug Fest: 10-12 August (a 4 week gap)
Announce final fest the same week, ~15 Aug
Final Fest: 7-9th Sept (~3 weeks after announcement and 4 weeks after previous fest)

Summer Fest 29/6-1/7
Final Fest 3/9
Well, I'll just again point out that Splatoon 2's Final Fest was announced both with half the lead time you're expecting and in front of another Splatfest - so there's precedent for both an August announcement of an anniversary Splatfest, or an announcement before the Summer Fest actually happens. The only thing that's too short of a timeframe at this point is the fest itself being in July.

So apparently Neo Splash o Matic is becoming popular in Japan, because it can spam Triple Inkstrike. This is in response to Splattershot Jr becoming popular, because it can spam Big Bubbler, and Tri Strikes easily counter bubble. This Big Bubbler spam, in turn, is a response to people spamming Trizooka on Splattershot, because zooka does low damage to the bubble.

I think it's about time to implement a global countermeasure to special spam, Nintendo, and you can even steal my idea!

The idea:
Every time you use a special, the cost of it goes up by 10p. The cost then goes back down over the course of a minute, at 1p every 6 seconds. This effect stacks on top of itself too.

This punishes repeated use of specials with no break in between, while the average player who gets ~5 specials a game will hardly be affected.

Thoughts?

So apparently Neo Splash o Matic is becoming popular in Japan, because it can spam Triple Inkstrike. This is in response to Splattershot Jr becoming popular, because it can spam Big Bubbler, and Tri Strikes easily counter bubble. This Big Bubbler spam, in turn, is a response to people spamming Trizooka on Splattershot, because zooka does low damage to the bubble.

I think it's about time to implement a global countermeasure to special spam, Nintendo, and you can even steal my idea!

The idea:
Every time you use a special, the cost of it goes up by 10p. The cost then goes back down over the course of a minute, at 1p every 6 seconds. This effect stacks on top of itself too.

This punishes repeated use of specials with no break in between, while the average player who gets ~5 specials a game will hardly be affected.

Thoughts?
I think it would certainly help in casual play, but not particularly more so than a global 10-20 PFS nerf, which I also wouldn't be opposed to.

The issue is in comp, iirc, specials are basically essential to breaking a hole in the opponents defense, so people run special spammers so they get the maximum number of opportunities to do so. Nerfing PFS won't change that, it's just simply to hard to break a coordinated team of 4 without specials.

Funnily enough, I think the original way of solving this issue was the smaller maps, at launch, which had less safe turf, meaning less places to farm special.

In case anyone is interested in a really cool Salmon Run t-shirt (available only today):

hvbj2jz.png

Splattershot Pro family: 2741
Squeezer family: 2513

What are your records/most used weapons, folks?

:D

Does anyone know a good site to upload videos longer than 60 seconds without an account? Streamable deletes them after 2 days and Sendvid is frustratingly slow to play.

Back
Top Bottom