• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Sizzle Season 2024 announced)

What would you do at the world's end?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think giving random Grizzco weapons to "balance" out there being 3 Kings was the worst idea they could've ever implemented.

Yes, I really think that two Splatanas, a set of Dualies and a Brella will help us do plenty of damage against that Triumvirate, Nintendo! Thanks!

Could not defeat the Triumvirate, I really wanted that badge (._. )

Is the triada going to happen/appear during regular Salmon Run? I remember reading something about randomly triggering.

I think giving random Grizzco weapons to "balance" out there being 3 Kings was the worst idea they could've ever implemented.

Yes, I really think that two Splatanas, a set of Dualies and a Brella will help us do plenty of damage against that Triumvirate, Nintendo! Thanks!
I think 1 roller to clear paths and lure Megalodontia, and 1 splatana and 2 stringers would be ideal (their charged attacks do a lot of damage to the kings).

I once again failed to attain the coveted gold score.

December 2022 - 114, Gold was 137
March 2023 - 125, Gold was 141
June 2023 - 141, Gold was 150
September 2023 - 139, Gold was 156
December 2023 - 129, Gold was 135
March 2024 - Didn't play
June 2024 - 116, Gold was 135

I've kinda phoned it in for the last 3 because I don't really play this anymore but I feel like such a failure for having put 685 hours into the game and still not having the Gold Big Run badge (or the Gold Challenge badge) so I kinda force myself to play.

So maybe Big Big Run will become a seasonal event for the foreseeable future then, with Trophies being recycled? That's certainly one way of handling it, and debatable better than relegating it to PB's.

Either that or its a lead in to Final fest as datamined? Wasn't there a link between Final Fest and Big Run?

So maybe Big Big Run will become a seasonal event for the foreseeable future then, with Trophies being recycled? That's certainly one way of handling it, and debatable better than relegating it to PB's.

Either that or its a lead in to Final fest as datamined? Wasn't there a link between Final Fest and Big Run?
Yeah this reads to me like a tease for whatever is to come, basically the mega event they are planning for September that will close off the game and the Splatoon trilogy. It indeed looks like they will be intertwined in some way, and it will last for like 5 days or something.

I could see the first half being the Splatfest of SS vs OTH vs DC, and on the second half everyone comes together to stop the big evil Salmonids, maybe with the hubs being the maps this time as has been speculated.

Now that I think of it, that could be a clever way of uniting the fanbase immediately after the results, because you just know it will be the most controversial Splatfest ever.

Could not defeat the Triumvirate, I really wanted that badge (._. )

Is the triada going to happen/appear during regular Salmon Run? I remember reading something about randomly triggering.
lol I defeated it in a 3v3. It was really epic, but I was lowkey carried since it was my first time facing them together and I didnt know what I was doing.

Yeah they are supposed to show up from time to time in regular Xtrawaves from now on.

Had a match with 4 Grizzco Rollers, pretty sure it was the stupidest Splatoon match ever played lol

And we won somehow anyway

I played one match of Big Big Run, we wiped on round one in like 30 seconds, and I stopped playing for the day.

I really don’t like Salmon Run in this game, it’s way too hard. I complain about losing in multiplayer matches but for salmon run my success/failure rate is like 1/6. To date I have never defeated a single king salmonid.

Skill issue obviously but yeah the mode just isn’t fun unless you have god skills tier at it or have friends to play it with, and I have neither.

Can we just talk about how much of a hot mess this game's ranked system is?

X Battle, while having some flaws, mostly works fine, and that's not what I'm gonna complain about here.

What the hell is anarchy supposed to be? You have a ranked system, blended between solo and team play, except you can't actually rank up with other players. It heavily biases players towards climbing out of low ranks, and you hardly need to have a positive W/L to break even, even at S+

But then, if you do get a little too far for your current skill level, you can't rank down automatically? You can go thousands of points into debt, without the game telling you "hey bub, we're turning it down a notch for you, because this is too difficult"

And even then, you're not strictly matched with people in your rank. I've seen countless complaints about low ranking players being matched against players with top X badges in their banners.

What is the purpose of the anarchy letter rank at this point, besides being an X battle gatekeeping system?

If it were up to me, I'd do it like this:

You have Anarchy (Open) and Anarchy (Solo), nearly identical to the current Open and Series queues, except there is NO rank involved at all (unless they want to keep the weird league-replacing power measurements for squads in open fsr).

Then you have X Battles, available to every player who has won at least 5 matches in every Anarchy mode (Zones, Tower, Rainmaker and Clams). In X, players are queued together according to their power levels. The game then also assigns a letter ranking to the player based on their current standing compared to other players (and NOT linearly for certain power numbers).

This way, you could enjoy Anarchy modes alone or with a squad depending on how you like your matchmaking, and then when you want to tryhard you can go into X Battle for the most accurate matchmaking and ranking system the game has to offer.

End of essay.

I played one match of Big Big Run, we wiped on round one in like 30 seconds, and I stopped playing for the day.

I really don’t like Salmon Run in this game, it’s way too hard. I complain about losing in multiplayer matches but for salmon run my success/failure rate is like 1/6. To date I have never defeated a single king salmonid.

Skill issue obviously but yeah the mode just isn’t fun unless you have god skills tier at it or have friends to play it with, and I have neither.
If you're struggling, I'm pretty sure you can demote yourself freely until you reach a hazard level you're comfortable with. I think just press ZR on the menu.

But yes, Salmon run in 3 is significantly harder. Egg quotas are higher to compensate for egg throw, Lessers can prefire, making them actually potential threats, rather than cannon fire, and Big shot's and fish sticks just add to the chip damage bosses.

GPmdU6HbAAAfd9C

I love putting in effort! Yeah!

Not gonna directly link to all the tweets, but... some pretty nasty screenshots have been posted showing multiple Jackpot members (primarily Madness and Leafi) saying extremely racist things. Just so people are aware.

Why is that every time Nintendo tries going into the competitive scene, it always backfires, like first Smash and Now this.

At first i always found weird why Nintendo doesn't try embracing the competitive scene, but over time i've found out why, it's because the people competing are always morally fucked up.

Looks like there are things outside of the racism coming out as well 😬

I don't think I ever downloaded the Jackpot banner and now I'm definitely not.

Looks like there are things outside of the racism coming out as well 😬

I don't think I ever downloaded the Jackpot banner and now I'm definitely not.
I did because of my need to get all the limited gear :/
Really hope Nintendo patches the banner to be more generic.

Also don't have twitter, what else is coming out?

I did because of my need to get all the limited gear :/
Really hope Nintendo patches the banner to be more generic.

Also don't have twitter, what else is coming out?
Alledged sending of lewd pictures to a minor but someone has now claimed its faked, its being worked through atm.

Disappointed but not surprised. Competitive scenes in video games tend to breed this kind of environment. It all ends up being a big ol' club where stuff gets swept under the rug or ignored because they're all good at the video game. I was hoping Splatoon's would be different with how seemingly more tolerant its general community is, but I guess not.

Jackpot needs to be held accountable; the community just can't forget about this after a couple days and the culture needs to change. Really hoping the big members of the community use their platform and influence to spearhead the change to a more positive and inclusive comp scene.

Seems like Jackpot is disbanding over this ordeal. Here's a word from their ex-coach.

It seems like they had also signed a sponsorship deal right before this, that won't end up going through. I wonder if that was the reason that caused someone to go "alright, now is the time to show these screenshots to the public".

After more than a year of not using Twitter (FU, POS EM! 🖕🏻), I had to log in to be able to read what was happening and YIKES! Racism, homophobia and zionism :/

Only 3 apologies have felt sincere to me (Chara, Ren and Ash). And for the rest, I hope they stay away from the game and the community for a very good while. Can't believe some of those videos/screens are from this year.

"Taking full responsibility" or "holding oneself accountable" really start losing meaning after reading it so many times in such a short period.

Change can take years, so any goodwill demonstration won't seem/feel sincere in the short or medium term, particularly because they are young, immature and incredibly stupid.

I really hope people learn a thing or two from this.

One thing I haven't been able to fill in for myself:

More than one Splatoontuber I follow, I trusted to be mature enough to know what was said is wrong and to be confident enough to call out offenders if they saw them. But that didn't happen.

Ren's statement, posted above, at least adresses it a little, but I haven't seen others grapple with their failures as a guardian, if you will. Was this behaviour mostly showing up in Discords where some older community members may not participate, rather than during streams and at LANs? Seems hard to believe the racism was confined to just small conversations between "friends" and didn't leak out as it usually does into other, less protected venues.

Last edited:
Is it just me or the number of communication errors and people disconnecting have increased since the latest season update?

GPmdU6HbAAAfd9C

I love putting in effort! Yeah!
5vr8DoZ.jpeg

🫂

My index finger is pretty hurt right now (it's very painful 😢), so I switched A and ZR and my muscle memory absolutely hates it. Can't jump and shoot anymore and the rhythm feels completely off (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

So I went back to the Forge Splattershot Pro for a bit and reached 2000 victories with it this week. It's my one-trick pony, tbh :p
I wish it had a bit more range, like the .96 Gal.

N6Blqwb.jpeg

hvbj2jz.png

Splattershot Pro family: 2741
Squeezer family: 2513

What are your records/most used weapons, folks?

I got an email with that Grizzco message in it, and it's the first time I've ever gotten a Splatoon-related email, so clearly this is something Nintendo wants to push, the whole "we're still getting readings" thing.

Seems like Jackpot is disbanding over this ordeal. Here's a word from their ex-coach.

It seems like they had also signed a sponsorship deal right before this, that won't end up going through. I wonder if that was the reason that caused someone to go "alright, now is the time to show these screenshots to the public".

seems like they knew it would happen soon, they look kind of worried

Considering there's a small chance we'll get Sheldon's picks announced at the direct, what are your hopes/predictions for Sheldons picks?

Estimating that there'll be 3 sets of 10 (Shelly, Donny and Sheldon's Picks), with each class getting 3 kits, with the 3 weapon classes only getting 2.

My picks would be
Shooters: N-Zap, Sploosh H-3 (All already got Sheldon's picks in S2, H3 and Sploosh lack strong kits
Rollers: Splat, Big Swig, Dynamo (Big swig lacks a proper aggro kit, Dynamo and Splat both have a pair of OK kits)
Chargers: Squiffer, Bamboo, Goo Tuber (Chargers are mostly good, these three lack a kit with Impact)
Blasters: Rapid Pro, Base Blasters, Luna (Same as Chargers)
Splatlings: Mini, Heavy, Hydra (The three other splatlings have multiple near perfect kits)
Sloshers: Dread, Bloblobber, Explosher (Have some good aggro kits, but the latter two would love a bomb of any description while the former has the two worst specials)
Brellas: Undercover, Recycled, Tent (Tent and Splat have perfect kits, Undercover and recycled have a pair of meh kits)
Dualies: Squelchers, Tetras, Dapples (FIZZY/KRAKEN DAPPLES FIZZY/KRAKEN DAPPLES FIZZY/KRAKEN DAPPLES FIZZY/KRAKEN DAPPLES FIZZY/KRAKEN DAPPLES FIZZY/KRAKEN DAPPLES FIZZY/KRAKEN DAPPLES) (I'm so mad Dapples Nouveau came out before triple Splashdown was a thing) (I would've waited an extra year for that kit)

And For the three weapons
Brushes: Octo, Pain (Both lack a high power special)
Splatanas: Wiper, Decavitator (Wiper wants a better support kit post missile nerf, maybe cooler? Decavitator is fine but I hate using wall and bubbler)
Stringers: Tristringer, Reeflux (Wellstring has a proper lethal bomb, and hammer synergizes well, which is more than i can say for the other 2)

Considering there's a small chance we'll get Sheldon's picks announced at the direct, what are your hopes/predictions for Sheldons picks?

Estimating that there'll be 3 sets of 10 (Shelly, Donny and Sheldon's Picks), with each class getting 3 kits, with the 3 weapon classes only getting 2.

My picks would be
Shooters: N-Zap, Sploosh H-3 (All already got Sheldon's picks in S2, H3 and Sploosh lack strong kits
Rollers: Splat, Big Swig, Dynamo (Big swig lacks a proper aggro kit, Dynamo and Splat both have a pair of OK kits)
Chargers: Squiffer, Bamboo, Goo Tuber (Chargers are mostly good, these three lack a kit with Impact)
Blasters: Rapid Pro, Base Blasters, Luna (Same as Chargers)
Splatlings: Mini, Heavy, Hydra (The three other splatlings have multiple near perfect kits)
Sloshers: Dread, Bloblobber, Explosher (Have some good aggro kits, but the latter two would love a bomb of any description while the former has the two worst specials)
Brellas: Undercover, Recycled, Tent (Tent and Splat have perfect kits, Undercover and recycled have a pair of meh kits)
Dualies: Squelchers, Tetras, Dapples (FIZZY/KRAKEN DAPPLES FIZZY/KRAKEN DAPPLES FIZZY/KRAKEN DAPPLES FIZZY/KRAKEN DAPPLES FIZZY/KRAKEN DAPPLES FIZZY/KRAKEN DAPPLES FIZZY/KRAKEN DAPPLES) (I'm so mad Dapples Nouveau came out before triple Splashdown was a thing) (I would've waited an extra year for that kit)

And For the three weapons
Brushes: Octo, Pain (Both lack a high power special)
Splatanas: Wiper, Decavitator (Wiper wants a better support kit post missile nerf, maybe cooler? Decavitator is fine but I hate using wall and bubbler)
Stringers: Tristringer, Reeflux (Wellstring has a proper lethal bomb, and hammer synergizes well, which is more than i can say for the other 2)
I'd honestly be so happy with a Jet Squelcher + burst bomb kit. That's all I want.

Never used Jet, but how do douser dualies work as a comparison? The customs have burst bomb and apparently play similarly.
It's a good bit worse at distancd pressure bc the two reticles and damage falloff that can turn it into a 5-shot mean it can't apply distance quite as well (and usually can't pick off foes on their own because of this, but rather supports other fights with some extra damage that could turn the tables). However, the dodge rolls are nice due to their distance and you can get folks with turret mode sometimes, though the endlag means that sometimes you can get stuck in a predictable situation for too long. Burst in my experience works really nicely on it, especially because it can engage more closely.

It's a good bit worse at distancd pressure bc the two reticles and damage falloff that can turn it into a 5-shot mean it can't apply distance quite as well (and usually can't pick off foes on their own because of this, but rather supports other fights with some extra damage that could turn the tables). However, the dodge rolls are nice due to their distance and you can get folks with turret mode sometimes, though the endlag means that sometimes you can get stuck in a predictable situation for too long. Burst in my experience works really nicely on it, especially because it can engage more closely.
Fair enough, Dousers became my dualie of choice after dapples got stuck with reef, but don't use shooters so didn't know how they compared.

I should not be playing while I'm sleep deprived and with hand pain, but the splat bomb rush challenge is soooo fun and chaotic. Challenges like this should have been what the chaos theme is about. And it's making me feel a bit of nostalgia for Splatoon 2 specials :p

Last edited:

What is LUTI and what does DIV mean?

LUTI (aka Leagues Under The Ink) is a league for competitive Splatoon teams. Teams are divided into divisions (divs) based on their approximated skill level (gathered from tournament results and previous LUTI seasons), then play against one other team from their div each week for the length of the season. The lower the number, the higher the skill level - my team is Div 8, for example, and it goes up to Div 10, so we are at the comparatively lower skill level amongst all the teams in the league.

LUTI (aka Leagues Under The Ink) is a league for competitive Splatoon teams. Teams are divided into divisions (divs) based on their approximated skill level (gathered from tournament results and previous LUTI seasons), then play against one other team from their div each week for the length of the season. The lower the number, the higher the skill level - my team is Div 8, for example, and it goes up to Div 10, so we are at the comparatively lower skill level amongst all the teams in the league.
Thanks! :)
I wish I was good enough to participate in competitive matches. People only play on weekends? Is it streamed anywhere?

I think the Direct will have the theme for the Summer Splatfest + a teaser video for the Final Fest.

Tomorrow:

"Next, take a look at this."
Screen fades to black.
Hisashi Nogami slowly fades into view.
He says two words. "Bukichi Selection".
"Sheldon's Picks" appears on screen in the Splatoon font.
Screen fades back to black.

Stages are almost certainly done, but we can finally find out if there's going to be more weapons.

Honestly think I'm ready to move on to splat4 with much more sweeping changes than the practically expansion pack for 2 that 3 ended up being, dragged out for way too long. Hoping 4 can go back to a Splatoon 2 timescale rollout since the amount of content was basically the same, but I doubt it

I expect nothing from Splatoon this Direct, honestly :|

At bare minimum they're going to use it as a chance to push the final fest, officially announcing whatever the topic is, which we are still assuming is going to be the 3 bands battling it out, I think?

I also expect the announcement of amiibo for the dlcs, hopefully including acht as well as pearl and marina

At bare minimum they're going to use it as a chance to push the final fest, officially announcing whatever the topic is, which we are still assuming is going to be the 3 bands battling it out, I think?

I also expect the announcement of amiibo for the dlcs, hopefully including acht as well as pearl and marina
I do wonder if the Final Fest announcement will come as a random announcement on its own. 2's was tied to the 2019 World Championship, but that was just a month before the fest itself. 2023's WC has now come and gone, but it's still kinda early to announce a Splatfest for what's presumably not until near the end of the season.

Sheldon's picks is certainly a white whale, but I think it's a bit much to compare it to silksong. If it doesn't happen today I can accept it isn't happening, go home and get on with my day, never to think about it again.

I do wonder if the Final Fest announcement will come as a random announcement on its own. 2's was tied to the 2019 World Championship, but that was just a month before the fest itself. 2023's WC has now come and gone, but it's still kinda early to announce a Splatfest for what's presumably not until near the end of the season.

Splatoon 2s final fest was announced on the 8th of June for a July 19th start date; that's just under 6 weeks in advance, and given everything else has been stretched out for 3 vs 2, i dont think 2 months or so in advance is impossible

Back
Top Bottom