• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Jackpot wins worlds!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don't even know how to begin to reply to the implications that a new mode on a map doesn't count or wouldn't appeal to anyone. That's literally the type of content update that is the backbone of Splatoon, and has been since the series inception.

Don't even know how to begin to reply to the implications that a new mode on a map doesn't count or wouldn't appeal to anyone. That's literally the type of content update that is the backbone of Splatoon, and has been since the series inception.
That's not what I said. For me personally I was not very excited for it. I think it's the fact that it's limited to 1 weekend already causes a lot of my interest to vanish. Besides I don't like how grindy SR is atm.

For me personally, Splatoon 3 is just not doing alot to keep me consistently invested and 2023 has alot of good games that want my attention.

Anyways, here's something I've been pondering. What's worse, the matchmaking or the map design?

Matchmaking. I can find fun in the worst maps. And Splatoon's worst maps aren't worse than the worst maps in other shooters. But the matchmaking must be industry leading in worseness.

Counter-point to my own claim: Splatoon and Splatoon 2 also had frustrating, inconsistent, enraging matchmaking, it is true. So maybe what's actually happening is the map design is intensifying the shortcomings of the matchmaking system.

It seems that Sunday afternoon and night have the worst Big Run players.

As always, got my high score Friday night.

If the matchmaking works, I find that is incredible that some people on EVP+100 not only do not use their specials, as they still do not know how to lure Slammin down.

Can anyone else confirm that the average Xrank has dropped a fair amount? I got classified 1700-1800 for each mode this season, and was like sure whatever. But now I'm low 1900s for Clam Blitz and I'm already top 3000

Can anyone else confirm that the average Xrank has dropped a fair amount? I got classified 1700-1800 for each mode this season, and was like sure whatever. But now I'm low 1900s for Clam Blitz and I'm already top 3000
The unlock requirements and seasonal deranking result in far fewer people being in X at the beginning of the season than at the end, so that will change... somewhat. Power scores are usually so much lower now in 3 than in 2 that I have a hard time telling what's supposed to feel "good" anymore. In 2, 2000 used to a consistent bare minimum of "good" for me, but now I can rarely tread water much over 1900. Grading power score by series has made things much less consistent and more prone to massive swings, usually downwards, which rarely feels fair or satisfying to me.

Did anyone watch the RSL3 streams last weekend? It had been a while since I felt so... inadequate :p
I'm never going to be that good at the game, but it's still fun to play and watch :D

A lot of stronger players have also chosen to move to the Takoroka division, since finding matches at higher powers started taking incredibly long in the less-populated Tentatek division

And a lot of people have dropped off the game too judging by the fact this Big Run had nearly 1 million less players than the one before

I can't believe players with a top 3000 badge find it funny to stay in spawn doing nothing all game, intentionally ruining it for everyone

image.png

playing the challenge with a friend was the most fun I've had with this game ever

we got so many fistbumps

Oh! That's freaking cool. Do you have a link to your matches?
The vods are on this channel!

I played for Frostburn on day 1 (our only streamed set is right at the start of the day 1 vod), but day 2 I had to sub out unfortunately due to health issues. My teammates still had a hype set day 2 tho!

Well, that was it for my 7-day free NSO trial. Season 3 was a positive surprise though, especially the new Tenta kit and battle music elevated the experience a lot!

I'll probably resub in the summer and then try and join a comp team

I believe I found a bug that was added to the game in the latest patch 😅

So I had this happen to me today:

Then I remembered this patch note from the latest 4.0.2 patch:

FyxBxBoWcAAwcg8

So what I think they did, is make Power Clams go out of play entirely as soon as they touch the basket. This means there was technically no Power Clam in play for our team when the timer hit zero.

Ahhh, this game really is held together with tape and cardboard

FyxBxBoWcAAwcg8

So what I think they did, is make Power Clams go out of play entirely as soon as they touch the basket. This means there was technically no Power Clam in play for our team when the timer hit zero.

Yeah... I feel there are some aspects where the game is just too complex and not well tested enough. I've had numerous 'what' occurrences with Tenta, Inkvac and Trizooka

FyxBxBoWcAAwcg8

That looks "normal" to me. The game has never considered a power clam in play when it's in contact with the basket and the basket isn't considered open until its HP hits zero. Sometimes it works as you'd expect, sometimes it doesn't. Seems more like a 5.5 year old bug rather than a week old bug

That looks "normal" to me. The game has never considered a power clam in play when it's in contact with the basket and the basket isn't considered open until its HP hits zero. Sometimes it works as you'd expect, sometimes it doesn't. Seems more like a 5.5 year old bug rather than a week old bug
I've never seen this happening before this patch, I'm pretty sure it still counted as "in play" when hitting the basket before this patch (because a teammate could pick the power clam off the basket as it was breaking, causing other weird issues)

Yeah, I've had that happen to me before very rarely even in Splat 2. Rare like "if I had a nickel this happened, I'd have two nickels, which is odd that it happened twice" sort of thing

So yeah, I'm with you on the opinion that the basket has to be open for overtime to happen / this is a 5.5 year old bug. Still unbelievably frustrating whenever it happens

Hey Splatoon fans!

I've never been a Splatoon fan before...But i'd like to try out Splatoon 3 now honestly. However, i have a couple of concerns...

Is it too late for me to buy Splatoon 3? Splatoon 2 was only supported for 5 years, so i'm a bit afraid i'll only have 3 years to enjoy the game before Splatoon 4 gets announced.

Second, i feel like i'm just going to get overwhelmed by all of the pros and people who've been playing for a long time.

Thoughts?

Hey Splatoon fans!

I've never been a Splatoon fan before...But i'd like to try out Splatoon 3 now honestly. However, i have a couple of concerns...

Is it too late for me to buy Splatoon 3? Splatoon 2 was only supported for 5 years, so i'm a bit afraid i'll only have 3 years to enjoy the game before Splatoon 4 gets announced.

Second, i feel like i'm just going to get overwhelmed by all of the pros and people who've been playing for a long time.

Thoughts?
It's probably a bit late, yeah. Anecdotally, everyone who still plays regularly is really committed to it so the playerbase isn't really casual-friendly. Honestly if you don't really want to get into it for some reason I'd strongly endorse waiting for the next thing. We'll probably get a serious shakeup to the formula in a few years that could help everyone start closer to zero, if that makes sense.

I think that the amount of points to go from S+0 to S+10 is too high and should be lessened. The amount of commitment required to rank up to that and subsequently start from S+ in the next season is too high that it feels like less effort is needed to rank down to S (from S+0 to S+9) to rise to S+ again. Not sure how many points is optimal, but maybe about 250 points per subrank? It's not like B or A rank where there are only three subranks each, so I think it can stand to be smaller. S+10 and above can remain the same 350 per subrank though.

Thank you for reading.

I thought I was gonna take it easy this season and not grind the catalogue, then I saw the level 100 reward and was like, guess I'm grinding!

How do I keep getting triple gold medals/awards but not a single fist bump yet 😭
Someone else in the team should also be getting triple gold, and not to mention the orientation. So like if you are using a lower winning emote and the other person is using an upper winning emote, it won't connect.

Fxzf2LiXgAQJ1uL

Thank you for reading.

I think that the amount of points to go from S+0 to S+10 is too high and should be lessened. The amount of commitment required to rank up to that and subsequently start from S+ in the next season is too high that it feels like less effort is needed to rank down to S (from S+0 to S+9) to rise to S+ again. Not sure how many points is optimal, but maybe about 250 points per subrank? It's not like B or A rank where there are only three subranks each, so I think it can stand to be smaller. S+10 and above can remain the same 350 per subrank though.

Thank you for reading.
I think a good alternate solution would be having to reach a certain placement in X matches to retain S+

I think a good alternate solution would be having to reach a certain placement in X matches to retain S+
No doubt about it. I noticed that certain players still did not rank up to S+10 yet, which I think says something about how exorbitant the requirement is and how much commitment is required. As to what the placement is, maybe having an average of 2000 between modes like in Splatoon 2 (unranked ones count as 0 but still contributes to the average)?

Not that I am skilled in the game, since it is basically a struggle for me to rank up to S+ from S anyway. I do think that despite my relatively lack of skill, seeing how I fare against the X-players is nice.

Thank you for reading.

Hey Splatoon fans!

Thoughts?
I'm playing the serie since the 1st game and have poured 280 hours in Splatoon 3 and I'm not a pro at all LOL, doesn't stop me from having fun. Also I replayed the 1st Splatoon last year in october and november and the game was still active, I had no issue finding match, so I think Splatoon 3 will be fine for quite a while.

Hey Splatoon fans!

Thoughts?
I asked around on some other Splatoon communities online, and i think that i'm going to buy it. Got lots of reassuring comments that it's probably going to be okay and i even got some proposals to play together!

I asked around on some other Splatoon communities online, and i think that i'm going to buy it. Got lots of reassuring comments that it's probably going to be okay and i even got some proposals to play together!
I wouldn't trust the Splatoon community on that lmao

good luck, I hope you're good

You'll be fine as a new player
Thanks, you might be right. I should note that i played a bit of the Splatoon 3 online demo last year. I did like it, but wasn't interested in the full game at the time. Now's a different story though as i'm now interested in Splatoon.

interesting, maybe they have a propensity for this sort of thing

as for the Splatoon community, I think they're broadly unrealistic about the casual experience
Hmm...Maybe? A few people told me that people get put in lobbies based on levels, so people with similar skill levels get put together. Not 100% sure if thats true though. Also i got told to do the story mode before playing online so i can learn the basics. I don't think that sounds that bad for a casual experience.

Hmm...Maybe? A few people told me that people get put in lobbies based on levels, so people with similar skill levels get put together. Not 100% sure if thats true though. Also i got told to do the story mode before playing online so i can learn the basics. I don't think that sounds that bad for a casual experience.
I'd like to retract any statements I've made about playing pvp, I'm just bad and have a warped perspective because of it

that said, I'd argue it'd be worth it for the single player alone!

This is an interesting chart. It's not entirely perfect statistically because of certain factors, but it somewhat shows how easy a weapon is to use effectively to the average player.

Edit: it's especially interesting to see how low Splatana Stamper is despite it still being very strong after its nerfs

Last edited:
Hey Splatoon fans!

Thoughts?
You will be fine. The game is not even 1 year old yet, so there is more than one year of updates/new content left. And the developers will probably add an extra year like Splatoon 2, especially if it gets a Switch 2 update. Splatoon 4 is not releasing anytime soon and to be honest, playing for "only" 3 years doesn't seem like a short amount of time.

There are always thousands of new players each month (going by its sales), so I wouldn't worry about the hardcore players just yet.
The game is very casual friendly (imo), it's really easy to get into it and very fun and satisfactory to play/control.
Buy it physical, so if you don't like it or decide to stop playing, you could resell it. Don't forget to play the single player campaign first, tho.

Hey Splatoon fans!

Thoughts?
Just want to chime in and say I got Splat 2 way after release (like a year and a half) and it still became my favorite game. And I had never played a shooter before. Never had a problem getting matches. I've always been trash too, but if you don't get super frustrated/upset at losing, it's not a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom