• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (World's End Splatfest announced)

ZiSRBcv.jpg

Barnacle & Dime is currently on rotation and I still can't believe how bad it is. It's so frustrating.

BRING BACK AROWANA, THE SUPERIOR BOTTLENECK MALL, YOU COWARDS!

At least in Arowana you had multiple options to get to the bottleneck. The side alley was always my favourite spot on that map
Yep. I really liked that map. There was always a way.

It'd also be really easy to convert into a Splatoon 3 map. Just remove the right side alley, shorten the left catwalk so players coming from spawn can only drop down into the lower area before the ramp into mid, and put a car on a stick in front of snipe.

Nintendo Switch has games!

(Yes i am going to start playing this in the middle of the Direct hype)
IMG_20230620_150301928.jpg
Update: Haven't started playing yet! The extra downloads took longer than i had anticipated, and some other stuff got in the way.

Will start playing soon!

First impressions: I've played the first 3 missions and 2 online matches, and wow this game is really fun so far! Kinda wish i had gotten it earlier, but oh well

By the way, is the Inkopolis side of the DLC worth it?

First impressions: I've played the first 3 missions and 2 online matches, and wow this game is really fun so far! Kinda wish i had gotten it earlier, but oh well

By the way, is the Inkopolis side of the DLC worth it?
Not really, it's basically the "side bonus" before Side Order. I would wait to see if you want Side Order DLC.

I'm glad you're having fun! Lemme know if you need any help.

I think the next game in the Splatoon series will be free-to-play, and that sounds entirely fine to me. Not perfect, but not the end of the world.

Hear me out. You have access to all the weapons, and still a large amount of gear (although mostly basic-looking things). You have no competitive disadvantage from being a f2p player.

However, the catalogs, fancier gear and other purely cosmetic things would be locked behind either small microtransactions for bundles of items, a premium currency, and/or a "cosmetic pass".

I believe if done in a relatively non-predatory manner (which IS possible), this would be extremely beneficial to the game's playerbase and popularity, and give it a longer life cycle with more lifetime dev support.

Last edited:
There's no way to do f2p in a non-predatory manner. It's a fundamental part of the pricing model.

Nintendo hasn't released a new f2p game in years, and basically dropped the idea entirely, which is great for people who want to actually play the games.

It also wouldn't get it longer lifetime support or more content; people keep saying that about things with battle passes, but they're pretty much consistently across the entire gaming ecosystem at best matching the amount of previous content, and in most cases failing to meet it.

Splatoon added (free) battle passes and it's already come at the cost of significantly less meaningful content that actually matters (weapons and stages), and nothing about that would have changed just because they were paid.

Edit: And given how well splatoon sells, I'm not entirely convinced there's a significant market of players just waiting to play, but are only held back because it's priced like all Nintendo games are.

Last edited:
I think the next game in the Splatoon series will be free-to-play, and that sounds entirely fine to me. Not perfect, but not the end of the world.

Hear me out. You have access to all the weapons, and still a large amount of gear (although mostly basic-looking things). You have no competitive disadvantage from being a f2p player.

However, the catalogs, fancier gear and other purely cosmetic things would be locked behind either small microtransactions for bundles of items, a premium currency, and/or a "cosmetic pass".

I believe if done in a relatively non-predatory manner (which IS possible), this would be extremely beneficial to the game's playerbase and popularity, and give it a longer life cycle with more lifetime dev support.

F2P is always predatory to a certain degree.

Even if all weapons were free for everyone, Fortnite is a good example of how cosmetics will make younger players basically bully each other into spending to get the new cool skin that just came out.

Also, this would be terrible for the single player side of the game, and also there's really no need for it. Game is selling spectacularly well, gets supported for above average lifespans compared to other games, and generally is very profitable.

The only reasoning for going F2P I could see is expanding the player base, but i feel we're to a point where maybe you just can't do that, and the people not playing isn't because they don't want to spend money, but because they're legitimately not interested. Which means you'd make the game worse for the existing fanbase for no actual gain.

Splatoon also has numerous avenues for revenue with every release that it doesn't need to chase f2p money and risk all that.

They're already selling the game, season passes, amiibos, multiple OSTs per release, as well as insane amount of other merchandise (even outside of Japan, we've already had two different t-shirt runs for splatfests for 3).

There's not much point putting that all at risk chasing potential f2p money, which fails much more often than it succeeds.

You're kidding me right

Splatoon Championships... FOUR DAYS AFTER A NEW SEASON STARTS

Nintendo once again proving they give zero damns about competitive integrity

You're kidding me right

Splatoon Championships... FOUR DAYS AFTER A NEW SEASON STARTS

Nintendo once again proving they give zero damns about competitive integrity

Of course not, they'll choose eyes on the product over it anytime, and that's not necessarily against the interest of the competitive Splatoon community either, which is growing interest in the game as an esport.

The mindful approach here would be to delay the start of drizzle season, or not include any balance changes in the initial update, or have tournament rules that ban newly added weapons, rather than mess with an event schedule that has to accomodate larger plans.

Of course not, they'll choose eyes on the product over it anytime, and that's not necessarily against the interest of the competitive Splatoon community either, which is growing interest in the game as an esport.

The mindful approach here would be to delay the start of drizzle season, or not include any balance changes in the initial update, or have tournament rules that ban newly added weapons, rather than mess with an event schedule that has to accomodate larger plans.
Or even more easily: set up the consoles for the patch before drizzle season (and tell the players beforehand)

But they probably don't care enough to do that

Or even more easily: set up the consoles for the patch before drizzle season (and tell the players beforehand)

But they probably don't care enough to do that

Oh, right, yeah, they totally have the capactity to do that and it's been done in other games where tournaments are held by the game's developer/publisher.

They probably won't because they want to show off the seasonal content. New weapons won't be as much of a concern, but can't have a whole tournament that close to an update without playing a single game on one of the new maps.

Big Man Sweep incoming

No, not a chance.

Cosmetics just don't matter that much in Splatoon. You can't see what you're wearing in a match, you can't wear them in Salmon Run, and it's hard to see how they might be integrated into the campaigns, tableturf, or squidbeatz. Very few players spend more than a couple minutes designing their locker and it's hard to imagine how they might make it much more involved and interesting. Splashtags offer the most visible and meaningful form of customization but the most interesting part kind of has to be locked behind gameplay achievements. Would I, with some 500 hours in this game already, buy cosmetic catalogs? No, I wouldn't and I think a large chunk of the existing playerbase would do the same. Attempting to do that would substantially reduce overall revenue and thus significantly reduce the size of the game's support.

Nintendo needs Splatoon to sell NSO and you can't do that if it's free-to-play. They're not going to throw away many many millions in subscription revenue, let alone all the money they receive upfront for the software itself, for nothing.

Making the game free-to-play is unlikely to substantially increase player numbers as Splatoon is already capturing the vast majority of its potential userbase as a premium title. There simply aren't that many people who would play Splatoon, and a lot of it, who are not already doing so. There would be significant potential if it were playable on other platforms, but there's many reasons why Nintendo will not do that.

I 100% disagree on the suggestion you can't see what you're wearing in a Splatoon match, you definitely can, and one of the primary rewards for salmon run is outfit changes, which you can only ever see inside rounds.

They're also functionally already selling outfits via amiibo, so they're clearly willing to monetize cosmetics a little.

God, the difference between playing wired and wireless with a pro controller is staggering in this game. Why is wired so much more sluggish 😭

And I'm gonna have to play wired at Dutch Championships on Saturday...

God, the difference between playing wired and wireless with a pro controller is staggering in this game. Why is wired so much more sluggish 😭

And I'm gonna have to play wired at Dutch Championships on Saturday...
I remember at launch, wired Pro Controller had higher latency than when playing wireless. I'm surprised this was never updated.

Best of luck, Lucy! ✨

🤣

https://www.vooks.net/japanese-splatoon-fan-bought-nintendo-shares-to-attend-agm-and-complain/

A frustrated Japanese Splatoon fan has bought Nintendo shares to attend the company’s Annual General Meeting today. During the meeting, it’s been reported that they yelled out questions about why the male Splatoon characters do not get any good poses in the game.

The Twitter user “haru” has a series of Tweets explaining their actions and includes a manifesto about how Nintendo favours the female characters in the game. To attend the meeting, they purchased a Nintendo Switch OLED on a credit card, then sold it for a loss to buy some shares to attend the meeting. Previous letters to the company had been unanswered.

I was playing through story mode again with the weapons I hadn't used before and completely forgot about the Pacman level, that one was so good! Also, the fog was also used there in certain stages.

Speaking of the fog, it's such a shame that the foggy event is so limited. I won't be able to play then, but it seems really cool. Why couldn't they just make a new stage that is permanently foggy?

On the topic of new stages, please make a stage with this aestethic:
68c1f02e88bc347947f47c4f2d8a9e42.png

Especially the water is so pretty!

That also got me thinking how boring the aestethic are in all the S3 stages; it's always normal daytime. They even removed the summer evening vibe from Flounder Heights... Didn't think I could find yet another aspect in which the stages suck in this game but here we are

but hairstyles aren't even locked to genders in this game....does he just want more styles, buying stocks and going to a meeting just for that...uuhhhh

but hairstyles aren't even locked to genders in this game....does he just want more styles, buying stocks and going to a meeting just for that...uuhhhh
It's weird, afaik the only place where female characters are "favored" are in the idols/other major characters. Everywhere else, the masculine player characters have just as many options as feminine ones. Hell, I think even a majority of the gear is masculine-leaning, with very few true "feminine" options.

It just took me 11 games to get a single win. Eleven.

Sure it might be a skill issue, but this is genuinely so deflating because these constant, massive losing streaks just make any eventual wins feel unearned. As if the game went "OK, we've made you lose enough. Here's one win as a treat." The game seriously, seriously needs to change the way it handles its Skill-Based Match-Making because, right now, it just feels like a system designed to make wins rare, but unfulfilling.

It just took me 11 games to get a single win. Eleven.

Sure it might be a skill issue, but this is genuinely so deflating because these constant, massive losing streaks just make any eventual wins feel unearned. As if the game went "OK, we've made you lose enough. Here's one win as a treat." The game seriously, seriously needs to change the way it handles its Skill-Based Match-Making because, right now, it just feels like a system designed to make wins rare, but unfulfilling.
you're just worse than most of the people who play. it's been about nine months so the casuals have fallen off. I'm much worse than everyone else too, but you can't blame the matchmaking for that. either learn to find fun in constant loss, get good somehow, or drop the game like the rest of our ilk

you're just worse than most of the people who play. it's been about nine months so the casuals have fallen off. I'm much worse than everyone else too, but you can't blame the matchmaking for that. either learn to find fun in constant loss, get good somehow, or drop the game like the rest of our ilk

Discarding weapon choice and matchmaking factors to deem it a pure skill lissues is wrong. Depending on one's favored play style - or what one is actually good at - they're more or less at the whims of the people they end up playing with and against. You could be the best Splatoon player in the match, but if you're maining Bloblobber, you won't carry like a slayer of your same or lower skill level would be able to.

That also got me thinking how boring the aestethic are in all the S3 stages; it's always normal daytime. They even removed the summer evening vibe from Flounder Heights... Didn't think I could find yet another aspect in which the stages suck in this game but here we are
I suspect that at one point stages were going to have evening lighting ahead of Splatfests like the hubs, so new stages and returning ones were given roughly the same time of day lighting by default.

Discarding weapon choice and matchmaking factors to deem it a pure skill lissues is wrong. Depending on one's favored play style - or what one is actually good at - they're more or less at the whims of the people they end up playing with and against. You could be the best Splatoon player in the match, but if you're maining Bloblobber, you won't carry like a slayer of your same or lower skill level would be able to.
sure, there's an argument to be had about matchmaking among capable players. we c-rankers can't contribute to it meaningfully though

I suspect that at one point stages were going to have evening lighting ahead of Splatfests like the hubs, so new stages and returning ones were given roughly the same time of day lighting by default.
Good observation, but that still is a waste imo. It would lock even more cool stuff behind limited time events.

Honestly, out of everything that he could have brought up: The Online, the maps, the matchmaking, Brellas not working 100%, the content updates being slow and having less compared to the last 2 games, Side Order DLC news, anything else...and he picks...something that makes no fucking sense!?!
I'm guessing the person is referring to the agents and the player character, because in the marketing, official artwork, etc. they are always depicted as female.

Girls are cooler than boys, though. It's one of three things guaranteed in life in Splatoon aside from the death & taxes of Inkling society: bad matchmaking and low tick-rate.

Going home from Dutch Champs, we lost the finals 2-4 unfortunately 😔 but we still got a hella clean medal and a goodie bag with a BUNCH of Splatoon 3 themed merch

20230624_165118.jpg
20230624_165114.jpg

Back
Top Bottom