• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Jackpot wins worlds!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
so ive been messing around with the nzap89 with 1main 1sub of ink saver sub with some special up as well and lemme tell you i feel like a fuckin menace lmao

being able to throw two auto bombs, launch super chump, then throw two more auto bombs for a total of 4 on the gd field + all the super chump balloons is hilarious. i could maybe see this weapon having a similar use case to cjr? it inks really well, has pretty good rng for skirmishing at a better range than the cjr too. torpedo+wave breaker might be a stronger combo, but an army of auto bombs and super chump is definitely pretty good too when you factor in the slightly better slaying ability o the main weapon

Last edited:
This game just pulled this shit:

1 Ranged Blaster; 3(!) Blobboblers vs 2 N-Zap 89s, Z+F Splattterscope, Ballpoint Splattling
4(!) Ranged Blasters vs 1 N-Zap 89, 1 Tri-Slosher, Z+F Splatterscope, Heavy Splattling
4 BLOBOBLERS VS 2 NZaps, Heavy Splatling, Z+F Splatterscope

Someone please explain to me why the matchmaking insists of pairing me with the worst matchups possible. I don't like this, I hate complaining about this because I don't want to come off as I am somehow knowledagle at this game nor think I belong high...but at least let me lose letgitiely and not "Sorry, you don't get to have any way to paint, kill, or hold any objectives, fuck you!".

Saw people who had nice Tableturf sleeves and went to look up how to unlock them... 30 times?! Why, just why...

so ive been messing around with the nzap89 with 1main 1sub of ink saver sub with some special up as well and lemme tell you i feel like a fuckin menace lmao

being able to throw two auto bombs, launch super chump, then throw two more auto bombs for a total of 4 on the gd field + all the super chump balloons is hilarious. i could maybe see this weapon having a similar use case to cjr? it inks really well, has pretty good rng for skirmishing at a better range than the cjr too. torpedo+wave breaker might be a stronger combo, but an army of auto bombs and super chump is definitely pretty good too when you factor in the slightly better slaying ability o the main weapon
Nzap is my favourite. So glad to have a version with a more exciting special than the tacti-cooler.

How the DLC returned Inkopolis and the Kraken with new season, they should have brought back Morray Towers instead of Manta Maria.

hello fellow invertebrates! I am once again advertising my dumb little discord server, this time for splatoon enjoyers. if you're interested in a tiny off-site hangout spot, if you and I have an amicable relationship, and my council approves you, you could join the worst discord server online! dm me if you're interested

Did we get a SplatFest the same month as the last Big Run? I could’ve sworn the 3.0 patch notes said it had changes in preparation for the next Big Run which I would assume is this month in that case.

We didn't. There won't be a splatfest this month because of the big run.

pissing and shitting and crying and praying that they just aren't done with the squid sisters yet

imagine....

splatfest rolls around next month. you take the train to inkopolis to hear city of color.

train pulls into the station.

music kicks on

callie and marie preforming on the stage

but its anarchy rainbow with shiver and fryes voices coming out of their mouths

LMAO!

Apparently freaking INK VAC counters Kraken completely.

And others have tried it. Ink Vac just completely negates the jump and dash attacks Kraken Royale has.

Incredible.

LMAO!

Apparently freaking INK VAC counters Kraken completely.

And others have tried it. Ink Vac just completely negates the jump and dash attacks Kraken Royale has.

Incredible.

That seems more like a bug, bit it's awesome. Finally Ink Vac gets a win at something!

Pools are pretty cool. I'd like the game to remember your most used keywords, but right now I'm only using one besides Famiboards. So if I happen to see some of you active, expect me to keep hopping in for a round or two.

Racking up the 1200+ point games in Turf War with ease once I started using the new mortar special thing.

Along those lines, I can now quantify exactly how overtuned Triple Inkstrike is. It's the difference between going 1:2 when using my comfort weapon that has Ink Storm on it and going 2:1 after switching to a weapon I'm worse at with Triple Inkstrike.

I no longer stand by my earlier characterization of Ink Storm as "it's fine".

96. Gal Deco is seriously good in Splat Zones, take out people from afar and then use the Kraken to pressure/kill people in the zones. Getting 2-3 gold medals per match in the last hour

this splatzones rotation is so fuckin bad bro lmao. brinewater is a weak zones map and umami is a fuckin terrible zones map good god

Ok, I'm convinced this game hates me. This game had the gall to place four Blobblobbers in one team and another team with nothing but far ranged perfect accurate direct shooters on the other...AGAIN. For the 12th time since this season started. Like...again, what am I supposed to do here? 4 Blobblobbers is not a team comp! It's "let's put me in the worst matchups possible and make sure he regrets ever playing any support or indirect weapon.

EDIT: How do I get good with shooters? Because the main reason why I play every other class is because I suck at shooters....but the game clearly has it out for me by forcing my in these awful team comps so how to I play shooters well?

Nintendo please add the new emotes to the Photo Mode, it makes no sense that they're not in

Especially Reppin' Inkopolis!!!

I see a lot of people saying "Nintendo just wants to make a fun casual shooter game, why would they cater to competitive players" but tbh I'm of the opinion that the less you cater to competitive players, the faster people will drop off the game because they passed a certain skill level and suddenly the game becomes unfun.

And I also think that "certain skill level" is very low at the moment from opinions I'm gauging. I see so much dislike towards a lot of poor balance or design decisions even from players around B-A ranks

Last edited:
I see a lot of people saying "Nintendo just wants to make a fun casual shooter game, why would they cater to competitive players" but tbh I'm of the opinion that the less you cater to competitive players, the faster people will drop off the game because they passed a certain skill level and suddenly the game becomes unfun.

And I also think that "certain skill level" is very low at the moment from opinions I'm gauging. I see so much dislike towards a lot of poor balance or design decisions even from players around B-A ranks

Tbh a lot of that probably comes from watching Splatoon influencers lol

Stuff like too many choke points is something even scrubs notice though

Thing is with Nintendo making games more competitive, they often become more safe.

A good example is Mario Strikers Battle League which cut a lot of the more party-like aspects of the game (crazy items, shots and unique stages) for a competitive focussed game. It's boring, because it lacks fun content in favour of skillbased gameplay.

Also, I don't think a non competitive game means that people fall off after a skill level. Splatoon 1 was purely fun focussed, as indicated by the balancing, and people certainly didn't drop that.

The reason why the skill level to pass is low in this game is because there are not that many strats to discover. The maps are so bloody tiny, that you know the spots after 5 matches.

I don't think competitive should be the primary focus in Splatoon. There's so much creativity in the core of the game to explore, that should be the priority. Right now Nintendo is playing it very safe, because they want the game to be a competitive tournament game. And in doing so they are making this game incredibly stale

If Nintendo were trying to balance it around the high end competitive segment, they would have nerfed crab tank to the floor.

They haven't because they aren't really trying to do that.

Man kraken feels like such a mistake already. The fact that big bubbler doesn't interact with it at all but ink wall does seems like a fundamental game design failure. The devs seem like they want to sap the game of all its fun and interesting gameplay by limiting its viable weapons to a very small pool.

Thing is with Nintendo making games more competitive, they often become more safe.

A good example is Mario Strikers Battle League which cut a lot of the more party-like aspects of the game (crazy items, shots and unique stages) for a competitive focussed game. It's boring, because it lacks fun content in favour of skillbased gameplay.

Also, I don't think a non competitive game means that people fall off after a skill level. Splatoon 1 was purely fun focussed, as indicated by the balancing, and people certainly didn't drop that.

The reason why the skill level to pass is low in this game is because there are not that many strats to discover. The maps are so bloody tiny, that you know the spots after 5 matches.

I don't think competitive should be the primary focus in Splatoon. There's so much creativity in the core of the game to explore, that should be the priority. Right now Nintendo is playing it very safe, because they want the game to be a competitive tournament game. And in doing so they are making this game incredibly stale
They are absolutely not doing what you say they are doing. The game feels stale because it's seriously unbalanced at all levels of play. There's little reason to play a ton of the weapons in the game now when there's something far better you could be using instead.

Last edited:
Balancing around competitive is good and all, but let's not forget they should not make it harder or not fun to play for the 'casual' player base, which I'm sure is the majority.
I pretty much agree with what Lucy said a while ago:

I used to believe in trickle-down balance (balancing for top level is best for the game overall). But when you realize people need to have fun with the game to actually play enough to become good, you also realize trickle down balance is not a great philosophy. It may drive newer players away.

Man kraken feels like such a mistake already. The fact that big bubbler doesn't interact with it at all but ink wall does seems like a fundamental game design failure. The devs seem like they want to sap the game of all its fun and interesting gameplay by limiting its viable weapons to a very small pool.

They are absolutely not doing what you say they are doing. The game feels stale because it's seriously unbalanced at all levels of play. There's little reason to play a ton of the weapons in the game now when there's something far better you could be using instead.
Really? That's such an odd design. Booyah bomb doesn't interact with Kraken either (when it does with the other specials).

Balancing around competitive is good and all, but let's not forget they should not make it harder or not fun to play for the 'casual' player base, which I'm sure is the majority.
I pretty much agree with what Lucy said a while ago:

Really? That's such an odd design. Booyah bomb doesn't interact with Kraken either (when it does with the other specials).
Boyah Bomb does interact with Kraken, it's just that the jump attack makes the knockback practically zero.; If you're charging or just moving you'll be knocked back.

Man kraken feels like such a mistake already. The fact that big bubbler doesn't interact with it at all but ink wall does seems like a fundamental game design failure.
Really? That's such an odd design.

It follows logically from how Big Bubbler is treated versus Ink Wall in other cases. Splash Wall is a barrier for enemy players and objects. Big Bubbler is a barrier to objects but not enemy players who can simply walk inside. A player sitting on a Reefslider meets no resistance from Big Bubbler, but a bomb thrown by the player explodes on the shield. Similarly, Kraken is a transformed player, so you'd expect it to pass right through the Big Bubbler's shield while bouncing off Splash Wall or at least needing second to detroy it.

Boyah Bomb does interact with Kraken, it's just that the jump attack makes the knockback practically zero.; If you're charging or just moving you'll be knocked back.
Can't say I noticed it, I just see players moving through the bomb like nothing, but they might have been jumping indeed.

It follows logically from how Big Bubbler is treated versus Ink Wall in other cases. Splash Wall is a barrier for enemy players and objects. Big Bubbler is a barrier to objects but not enemy players who can simply walk inside. A player sitting on a Reefslider meets no resistance from Big Bubbler, but a bomb thrown by the player explodes on the shield. Similarly, Kraken is a transformed player, so you'd expect it to pass right through the Big Bubbler's shield while bouncing off Splash Wall or at least needing second to destroy it.
I guess that makes sense. Thanks!

More different maps could diminish that effect.

It's not that focussing on the competitive side is inherently bad, it's that Nintendo is not capable enough in correctly focussing on the competitive aspect.

It follows logically from how Big Bubbler is treated versus Ink Wall in other cases. Splash Wall is a barrier for enemy players and objects. Big Bubbler is a barrier to objects but not enemy players who can simply walk inside. A player sitting on a Reefslider meets no resistance from Big Bubbler, but a bomb thrown by the player explodes on the shield. Similarly, Kraken is a transformed player, so you'd expect it to pass right through the Big Bubbler's shield while bouncing off Splash Wall or at least needing second to detroy it.
I suppose, but the problem with that is without some kind of negative impact on kraken it totally negates big bubbler, which was already a relatively uncommon special in the runup to season 3. Bubbler was already vulnerable to tristrike and booyah bomb from a distance and can now handily be countered by kraken at short range. Plus it's better than bubbler and at least as good as ink vac for holding the tower.

Likewise kraken almost completely outclasses ultra stamp and reefslider, two specials which were at or near the very bottom before season 3 which now seem practically doomed to obscurity.

Today I found out SRB2Dude, playing the Jet Squelcher, has close to my X Power. I am soothed.

I suppose, but the problem with that is without some kind of negative impact on kraken it totally negates big bubbler, which was already a relatively uncommon special in the runup to season 3. Bubbler was already vulnerable to tristrike and booyah bomb from a distance and can now handily be countered by kraken at short range. Plus it's better than bubbler and at least as good as ink vac for holding the tower.

Likewise kraken almost completely outclasses ultra stamp and reefslider, two specials which were at or near the very bottom before season 3 which now seem practically doomed to obscurity.

It's not balanced. But it is logically consistent. In an ideal state you match both, and under King Kraken we do not live in an ideal state.

man i know no ones playing salmon run on these maps before but 45 minutes into big run and im already wanting to [redacted] my teammates in big run lmao

like holy fuck theres an inkable box to swim up less than 2 feet from the giant, tarp covered ramp you have to walk up and you choose the ramp instead of the box?! PLEASE

Inkblot is tough, might be the hardest salmon map in the game. It's so easy to get surrounded or separated from your teammates and the stage has very poor sightlines.

Last edited:
Standard tide on this map is probably the hardest one in the game, this is much worse for getting lots of eggs than Wahoo.

Saw the new flying guy for the first time but couldn't even do half damage because my teammates were morons who spent 90% of the wave in life preservers.

I can see why Horrorboros has the health pool that it does compared to Cohozuna. The Bomb it drops might act as a Booyah Bomb but Horrorboros functions similarly to the Steelhead when it drops its attacks. If you throw your Golden Eggs into it its mouth when its charging and detonate it, you score critical damage.

Big Run Inkopolis Title Screen! It's pretty cool.

What's not cool are my Big Run teammates, feels like a lot of people haven't played SR since the last Run.

I think a lot of SR players are going to have some growing pains for this Big Run. Inkblot is already one of the most cramped stages in the game and has so many awkward corners to get pushed into if you get separated. Even if you know the layout it's easy to panic.

Back
Top Bottom