• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Sony State of Play announced for Jan 31st. 2pm PT / 5pm ET / 10pm GMT for 40 minutes covering 15+ games

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth will undoubtably be a great game, but Square has a nasty habit of completely over-showing their games right before release. I was already over FFXVI by the time it released with how many new trailers dropped a couple months leading up to release.

I am still over-the-moon excited for FF7 Rebirth.

I'd 100% play a Sonic Generations Remastered on Switch. That game is fantastic.

please please please shadowdrop a Rebirth demo.
Obviously do whatever you'd like, but I really recommend not watching trailers after a certain point if this is a concern for you. I've been doing that for a lot of games since KH3 and I always really am glad I did! I'll definitely skip whatever they show of 7 rebirth here, too.

Sonic Generations Remastered is wild.
I was really hoping we would finally get Adventure 1/2 remastered, but alas, the wait continues.

Generations makes sense in that it's not accessible on Switch/Playstation, but the Xbox version looks and plays AMAZINGLY.
Got that FPS boost, got that Resolution boost, and got that artstyle that doesnt look outdated.
You could tell me that game came out yesterday and I would have believed you. Heck, I would say it looks better than both Colors Remastered and Frontiers (Though I have those on Switch so not sure how they stack up to the Xbox versions)

I love Generations so I'll be there Day 1, but I'm curious how it'll stack up to whats already here.

I always wanted to play the 3DS version, so if they ported those levels in, I would be instantly hype. They didnt do it for Colors but that was because the DS version was oriented for both screens, and they were the same areas as the console version. Generations on 3DS was single screen and entirely unique zones so I think there's more of a chance here.

Yeah, but the early Sony SoP's are usually mid at best. The summer and fall shows tend to be better.

At least we will (hopefully) get a better idea of Death Stranding 2's window.
the time of year almost doesn’t matter

it’s the continued lack of anything from Sony’s first party studios that’s worrying

the time of year almost doesn’t matter

it’s the continued lack of anything from Sony’s first party studios that’s worrying
Sony has only ever announced very little First Party anything on SoPs, you'll want to wait for the usual summer Showcase for that

How so? I know there's been some discourse about this online over the last few months, but I haven't engaged in it - to me if it's Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo published then it's first party including the games people refer to as "second party".

There’s only been discourse because Sony isn’t announcing any first party games, then Sony fans try to prop these up as first party games. A first party game is a game developed either in house by the hardware maker or by a wholly owned developer, period.

now obviously these particular games are in a bit of a grey area, but the developers aren’t Sony owned studios so they can’t be considered first party games.

There’s only been discourse because Sony isn’t announcing any first party games, then Sony fans try to prop these up as first party games. A first party game is a game developed either in house by the hardware maker or by a wholly owned developer, period.

now obviously these particular games are in a bit of a grey area, but the developers aren’t Sony owned studios so they can’t be considered first party games.
People have always considered published as first party, it's just now people are pretending they don't count for list warz

Sonic Adventure 1/2 being locked in PS3 is sad. I wonder if when they release them via HD Remaster it could be a sign for Adventure 3?

giphy.gif

Outside of Death Stranding 2 and maybe FFVII Rebirth this is a really underwhelming lineup of games. Need the Switch 2 to come out already

PlayStation 1st party lineup is very dire if this is it. Their developers 4-6 year release schedule due to AAA bloat is unsustainble long-term.

Are Octopath Traveller or DQXIS first party Nintendo games? Surely not.
Weren't those published by Nintendo just in the west, and in the case of DQXIS a late port even? Clearly different from games like Ronin or Stellar Blade. This would be like not counting Bayonetta 3 or Pikmin 4 as first party games.

Weren't those published by Nintendo just in the west, and in the case of DQXIS a late port even? Clearly different from games like Ronin or Stellar Blade. This would be like not counting Bayonetta 3 or Pikmin 4 as first party games.

Bayonetta 3 is not a first party game. Pikmin 4 was developed internally at Nintendo, so I’m not sure why you’d use that as an example?

When I first saw Sonic Generations Remastered I was like...huh? I have it on PC and it looked absolutely outstanding when it came out and in my opinion still does to this day, so it's a weird choice for a remaster. That being said, the "shadow" mention in the tweet is super exciting if it means Shadow may be a playable character in the remaster. If they add in a few levels from games that have come out since Generations, and/or even throw in some of the 3DS version levels then I'll definitely pick up the remaster.

Another thing about Generations that is funny to me, is there's been a lot of criticism around reusing zones so frequently. Gens, Mania, Forces, and most recently Frontiers. And now they're remastering the game that started that trend, when it doesn't even need a remaster? lol

Yeah i do feel a remake would not be interesting unless it adds more levels and bosses, otherwise i'm only gonna buy it because i never played it before

Yes, it is. I would even cede that stuff like Kirby and the Forgotten Land and Metroid Dread are not true Nintendo first party games, by the definition.
That’s silly then. 1st party isn’t about who made the game, it’s about who owns it.

It’s fair to criticize PlayStation Studios for a lack of output, but PlayStation 1st party is doing fine.

I wonder what a Sonic Generations remaster would change. Perhaps it's just making it available on modern consoles. A cool bonus would be bringing in the Sonic Unleashed levels like that PC mod, but I suppose that would lower the chances of Sonic Unleashed ever getting re-released. Since Sonic Generations is already on PC, I think I'd prefer a Sonic Unleashed remaster, since I hope that every 3D Sonic game eventually ends up on Steam and I've never played Unleashed.

will the sonic generations remaster come to switch is the question
I'm guessing yes, and if there are any notable differences between the Switch version and the others, then potentially there will be a new Switch 2 SKU in the console launch window. If it doesn't get announced for Switch, then I'm going to expect it to be a Switch 2 launch game.

Last edited:
Generations remaster is exciting, hopefully it's better then the Colors remaster

Still no first party games announced is crazy.
Yeah, seems like their first party studios really felt the affects of covid. Thats probably why they have been leaning so hard on remasters and 3rd party exclusives lately. They will get back on track I’m sure. I hope naughty dog is able to release a new game within this generation

Last edited:
It’s kind of crazy how important remasters have become in the age of the 6 year development cycle. It has become an integral way for developers and publishers to keep their IP popular while also bringing in money to fund these extended development periods. I wish these games could be made every two years like they used to be able to, but i understand why thats not feasible, especially if we want to get rid of crunch. I’ll say that in this age of remakes and remasters, im glad the indie scene is around to give us cool new stuff

Huh, glad I accidentally clicked on this thread that I would’ve otherwise had no interest in reading, ‘cause now I know there’s something going on with Sonic Generations. Neat!

As for everyone saying “why does Generations need a remaster?”—don’t forget that the main, HD console version of Sonic Generations never got released on a Nintendo console, so that alone is a good reason to rerelease the game. And they’re not just gonna release a simple port this many years later, so a remaster of some sort would make sense.

I assume, if this leak is legit, that we’ll also have the Switch version announced in the next Direct. I really hope so, at least. I’ve wanted to play this version of Sonic Generations for a long time now…

Bayonetta 3 is not a first party game. Pikmin 4 was developed internally at Nintendo, so I’m not sure why you’d use that as an example?
If Bayo 3 isn't 1st party then neither was Spider-man. Neither 1st party owns those IPs but the they licensed them and produced the games.

Also not 1st party then; Tetris 99, MLB The Show, Indiana Jones, etc.

If Bayo 3 isn't 1st party then neither was Spider-man. Neither 1st party owns those IPs but the they licensed them and produced the games.

Also not 1st party then; Tetris 99, MLB The Show, Indiana Jones, etc.

This entire discussion is pretty stupid and pointless, but Nintendo does not own Platinum Games whereas Sony and Microsoft do own Insomniac, Sony San Diego, and Machine Games.

If PS5 Pro is coming this year, I expect a big Sony mid-generation showcase where they show what some studios have been working on on the PS5 Pro. Those could be two separate events depending on when they want to reveal the Pro, with software being revealed before the Pro, but having it all in one event this summer seems like a nice big marketing opportunity to get people excited. "What's Next for PlayStation." That kind of thing for a system in its fourth year.

Announced Sony titles for posterity

Not Sony IP or dev, but moneyhatted:

FF7R2
Foamstars
Silent Hill 2
Rise of Ronin

Funded by Sony and IP is maybe partially or fully owned by Sony, but studio is not owned by Sony:

Death Stranding 2
Stellar Blade
Helldivers 2

Games where the IP and dev is fully owned by Sony but game is multi platform:

Destiny 2 The Final Shape
Marathon

Games where the IP and dev is fully owned by Sony and game is not releasing on Xbox or Switch:

Fairgame$
Concord
London Studios live service fantasy shooter (untitled)

The “no first party games” thing is very narrowly true if you focus on games that aren’t live service shooters and the dev has to be owned by Sony.

But Sony has 4-5 games from first party devs announced and 2-3 exclusives from first party devs, they’re just all live service shooters.

Last edited:
Sony has several first party games announced

MLB: The Show 24 (San Diego Games)
Concord (Firewalk Studios)
FairGame$ (Haven)
Marathon (Bungie)
Wolverine (Insomniac)

Helldivers 2 (published)
Rise of Ronin (published)
Death Stranding 2 (published)
Stellar Blade (published)

People find reasons not to count certain games, but Sony doesn't have an empty release slate at the moment.

81gpvegrTIL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Rise of Ronin has PS Studios on the box art. If that doesn't count for first party, then I don't know what does.

I feel like this leak broke the cycle of how I usually buy retro games. Typically I buy older games right as a remake or remaster or port is announced. For instance, after waiting years for an N64 mini I finally bit the bullet and got an N64 on August 19th, 2021. I got a GBA and 12 games for it 7 months before it was announced for NSO, got Metroid Prime two years before remastered, got an SNES mini for my birthday a month before it was announced for NSO, got the arcade archive super mario bros release two months before NSO came out, got Kirby’s Return to Dreamland a year before the remake was announced, I got Budokai tenkaichi 2 right as sparking zero got announced, got the thousand year door for 100 dollars second hand two years before the remake was announced, got Mario Vs DK for the GBA just under 2 years before the remake was announced, got Pikmin 1 two and a half years before it released, and got Pikmin 2 new play control 7 months before it released. So just as I was about to get sonic generations on steam, I hear that a remaster is happening and wait it out. It took me this long, but I finally beat fate, I CAN AVOID WASTING MONEY ON OLDER GAMES WHEN A NEWER VERSION IS ON THE WAY, HOPE IS REAL

I will say that I understand the frustration with not knowing what Sony's internal studios are doing. I really think that we should be in line for several announcements later this year.

Naughty Dog- Factions was cancelled. I don't expect the next new game before 2026.
Santa Monica- Ragnarok came out 14 months ago with the free DLC last month. Corey's new IP is probably a 2025/6 game
Insomniac- Spider-Man 2 came out three months ago. Recent leaks point towards possibly a Venom game in 2025. Wolverine is a late 2025/6 game.
Sucker Punch- Ghost of Tsushima 2 is probably a 2025 game
Guerilla- Coming up on the two year anniversary of Forbidden West. The rumored MMO/online game is probably a 2025/6 release. There is also the rumored Zero Dawn remaster.
Polyphony- Still supporting GT7. GT8 is probably several years out
Bend- New IP started in 2021. Probably a 2026/7 game.
San Diego Studios- Annual MLB title
Bluepoint- Demon's Souls was over 3 years ago. Whatever the "original content" is that Bluepoint is working on, it is probably a 2025/6 release.
Haven- Fairgame$ is probably a 2025 game
Firewalk- Concord is currently scheduled for 2024.
Media Molecule- New IP started up last year after Dreams support ended. Probably a 2027 or later game
London Studio- Last game was 2019. New online co-op combat IP was announced in 2022
Housemarque- Going on three years since Returnal released. Next game is probably 2025/6.
Firesprite- Call of the Mountain release last year. Rumored to have taken over Twisted Metal. Timeline up in the air.
Team Asobi- Astrobot was 2020. Could be a 2024 game, but probably later.

Right now Sony has several publishing deals like I mentioned in my above post, but the majority of the internal studios are still at least a year out from releasing stuff. It is crazy though because the way I see it (and yes, timelines can change at any moment in game development), most of these studios are lined up to release something in 2025 or 2026.

Generations is ehh. I think the massive modding community it had on steam, really helped my impression of the game. It's not a bad game on its own it's just pretty short and doesn't have much going for it beyond just being ok.

I'll probably still watch it, but the only thing in the leaked line up I'm excited about is Final Fantasy VII Rebirth which I don't need to see more of.

Yeah, I'm going to skip that part of the show. I'm ready for the game like yesterday.
I am very glad I have Like A Dragon 8 to play leading up to it. Should make the wait less painful. Rebirth is easily my most anticipated game for the first four months of the year.

They should include the daytime levels of Sonic Unleashed in Generations Remaster, as a sort of definitive Sonic Boost collection.

I'm a bit mixed on that Sonic Generations remaster tbh. It would've been cool if we didn't just get Frontiers which has some very similar levels designs from the Genesis era and Forces rehashed Chemical Plant from the Generations aesthetics too.

But if the Switch version is solid then that's a win!

Everything else rumored is par for the course.

Guess it's time to widen the definition of first party releases. Shit ain't getting more straightforward.

Assuming the rumors are true, bit of an underwhelming lineup, especially when the PS5 is a few years old at this point, but I imagine their more major showcases will have more in the way of new announcements

Sonic Generations remastered is nice to see but, won’t lie, I’d rather have the earlier classic 3D Sonic games remade. Those games could use one and aren’t available on modern consoles as far as I remember

I will say that I understand the frustration with not knowing what Sony's internal studios are doing. I really think that we should be in line for several announcements later this year.

Naughty Dog- Factions was cancelled. I don't expect the next new game before 2026.
Santa Monica- Ragnarok came out 14 months ago with the free DLC last month. Corey's new IP is probably a 2025/6 game
Insomniac- Spider-Man 2 came out three months ago. Recent leaks point towards possibly a Venom game in 2025. Wolverine is a late 2025/6 game.
Sucker Punch- Ghost of Tsushima 2 is probably a 2025 game
Guerilla- Coming up on the two year anniversary of Forbidden West. The rumored MMO/online game is probably a 2025/6 release. There is also the rumored Zero Dawn remaster.
Polyphony- Still supporting GT7. GT8 is probably several years out
Bend- New IP started in 2021. Probably a 2026/7 game.
San Diego Studios- Annual MLB title
Bluepoint- Demon's Souls was over 3 years ago. Whatever the "original content" is that Bluepoint is working on, it is probably a 2025/6 release.
Haven- Fairgame$ is probably a 2025 game
Firewalk- Concord is currently scheduled for 2024.
Media Molecule- New IP started up last year after Dreams support ended. Probably a 2027 or later game
London Studio- Last game was 2019. New online co-op combat IP was announced in 2022
Housemarque- Going on three years since Returnal released. Next game is probably 2025/6.
Firesprite- Call of the Mountain release last year. Rumored to have taken over Twisted Metal. Timeline up in the air.
Team Asobi- Astrobot was 2020. Could be a 2024 game, but probably later.

Right now Sony has several publishing deals like I mentioned in my above post, but the majority of the internal studios are still at least a year out from releasing stuff. It is crazy though because the way I see it (and yes, timelines can change at any moment in game development), most of these studios are lined up to release something in 2025 or 2026.
yeah and it's not like Sony is in a rush to get games out. The PS5 is selling.

Back
Top Bottom