• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Sony President Hiroki Totoki Wants To Go Aggressive In Growth With 1st party Multi-Platform Releases

Ok. I won't quibble about the quality or lack thereof for Disney's products. Media taste is a matter of opinion. I will say they're mostly competent, but often lack daring.

I like Disney but I don't like their recent offerings. Like you said, lack daring, samey, boring and solely focused on money. But that is a whole different discussion.

Their movies and shows have been performing pretty badly and they're losing money on them. Nintendo as the Disney of gaming seems to be in a much healthier position currently.

Ok can they release Bloodborne on PC now?
bdd.jpg

Really seems like home console era peaked

Or at least going through another cleansing rn like we have never seen
It's not that it peaked.

It's that two companies competing on a scale of raw power and subscription offerings were caught with their pants down by the pandemic.

Apparently they are not happy with their overall direction?
It is not selling hardware and software as good as this new guy wants?
When you only made $1.6 billion in profits despite having record-breaking revenue in 2023 while your closest competitor just posted $4.02 billion in profits, then someone has to step in to rectify all of those issues.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Q3 slide shows Sony Game and Network services devision made $10.2 billion in Q3 with a operating income of just $600 million.
Nintendo Q3 was $4.0 billion with operating income of $1.2 billion

Both companies report in Yen so largely benefited from the same weak yen, so that cancels out.
What that leaves us Nintendo made 1/2 Sony's revenue but report more than 2x the operating income.

I can see why the conversaiton today had a lot of people talking about Nintendo, after all of last week was about Sony 'winning' because Xbox was going third party, as is PS5 was the only console that was going to get Xbox studios games. It really did feel like people suddenly remembered Nintendo existed this week, just because Sony's results were so poor.

Sony is not doing as well as people assumed for obviouisly beating down its main competition with Nintendo kind of coasting on a boat in the bakcground and not even directly competing with their own next gen hardware yet.

Last edited:
The biggest point to me is that even in 2024, 3 of the 5 main releases of a pretty busy month have been crossgen titles (yakuza, grandblue fantasy and persona 3 reload) and we are already at the "latter half" of the console lifespan, it really does feel like we're still on the beginning of the ps5 and xbox series even 4 year after launch.
There was a time when Sony said the generation didn't start until they said so. But this time around they seem to be waiting on Switch 2.

It's not that it peaked.

It's that two companies competing on a scale of raw power and subscription offerings were caught with their pants down by the pandemic.

True. I guess no one was prepared for it, but I really don't know where they go from here since the markets where they wanted to have growth opportunities they stunted by raising prices (ironically to avoid raising prices in areas they already were established in)

True. I guess no one was prepared for it, but I really don't know where they go from here since the markets where they wanted to have growth opportunities they stunted by raising prices (ironically to avoid raising prices in areas they already were established in)
That really depends on what the new PS leadership does to fix what Jim Ryan broke. It's clear that he should never have been put in charge of the division.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Q3 slide shows Sony Game and Network services devision made $10.2 billion in Q3 with a operating income of just $600 million.
Nintendo Q3 was $4.0 billion with operating income of $1.2 billion

Both companies report in Yen so largely benefited from the same weak yen, so that cancels out.
What that leaves us Nintendo made 1/2 Sony's revenue but report more than 2x the operating income.

I can see why the conversaiton today had a lot of people talking about Nintendo, after all of last week was about Sony 'winning' because Xbox was going third party, as is PS5 was the only console that was going to get Xbox studios games. It really did feel like people suddenly remembered Nintendo existed this week, just because Sony's results were so poor.

Sony is not doing as well as people assumed for obviouisly beating down its main competition with Nintendo kind of coasting on a boat in the bakcground and not even directly competing with their own next gen hardware yet.
Revenue is just a mirage because their profit margin is dreadful, and you can't hide it forever with record-breaking revenue headlines while posting low profit income at the same time.

Gaming news and outlets failed to see this back then when reporting financial news of these companies' income by focusing on revenue but not profit, which gave a false image of the current situation, but then realized that Nintendo is the healthiest amongst console manufacturers and not Sony PlayStation.

That really depends on what the new PS leadership does to fix what Jim Ryan broke. It's clear that he should never have been put in charge of the division.
I feel like this a problem that goes beyond even Jim Ryan and has to due with the constant push for pure power and the increasing costs that come with it

Revenue is just a mirage because their profit margin is dreadful, and you can't hide it forever with record-breaking revenue headlines while posting low profit income at the same time.

Gaming news and outlets failed to see this back then when reporting financial news of these companies' income by focusing on revenue but not profit, which gave a false image of the current situation, but then realized that Nintendo is the healthiest amongst console manufacturers and not Sony PlayStation.
I also believe Nintendo's revenue is deflated and operating margin % a bit higher as they only report their 30% cut of 3rd party sales, while Sony reports the full $60 or $70 price of a 3rd party game as revenue.

I do hope they have a showcase this year that acts as their E3/PSX 2016 where they basically just gave us the tentpoles for 2017-2020. They're basically just sitting on reveals for GoT2, Naughty Dog's new IP, Santa Monica's new IP, Bend's new IP, Bluepoint's new IP, Team Asobi's game, etc. Surely Media Molecule and Housemarque are cooking something. Obviously there's also DS2 and Wolverine, as well as Venom which apparently is next year. And, of course, all the multiplayer stuff.

I know people hate knowing about games years in advance, but I think it can work in some cases.

I'm not a PC gamer, meaning I "require" a PlayStation or Xbox for exclusives and multiplats alongside a Nintendo console, but the PS5 has just been extremely mid to me so far. It still feels like the generation hasn't properly begun, and the list of PS5 exclusives is downright sad.
Phew! For a second there I thought you were going to say something like "I'm completely satisfied with this gen thanks to the same third party selection that you use to hype up your PC" :) And of course being happy with that is not allowed

Answer seriously: I remember feeling the same way with the PS4, yeah yeah you had a Bloodborne or an Infamous here and there but it was incredibly weak for a while. It started getting better in 2016 and really started getting good in 2017, but even then (from my perspective at least) it was mostly because a lot of Japanese publishers were still seeing Playstation as something you should be exclusive to. With that gone PS5 has seen a similar increase in good third parties around the same time, but almost no exclusives.

I heard The Short Message was cheeks 😭 I think I might've already said this the other day, but between it and the Silent Hill 2 remake looking rough, the responsibility falls on NeoBards (famed developers of Resident Evil Resistance and Re:Verse) to give us a worthwhile modern Silent Hill experience 🙏
Yeah The Short Message sucked ass. I appreciated some of the things it tried to do, but it was overall not very good. I actually wrote about it here. As for the NeoBards comment, I am excited to see what comes out of Silent Hill f because it doesn't really look like Silent Hill, or rather looks like a new take on Silent Hill, which might just be what this series needs right now ... but I'm skeptical. Also I've heard that apparently The Short Message is connected? I'm not sure.

The biggest point to me is that even in 2024, 3 of the 5 main releases of a pretty busy month have been crossgen titles (yakuza, grandblue fantasy and persona 3 reload) and we are already at the "latter half" of the console lifespan, it really does feel like we're still on the beginning of the ps5 and xbox series even 4 year after launch.
This is wild to me, I really feel like we're on the beginning of the gen and it's been 4 years already? I think the main explanation is that we haven't seen any flagship title to herald in the new gen and the exclusives just didn't move the needle: Demon's Souls is a remaster of an old title so that instantly diminishes it impact as a "breakthrough" title. Spider-man 2 or Ratchet and Clank didn't show anything too groundbreaking either and instant load times aren't anything too big either. It's time to admit that this gen just lacks any real reason to be: "More power" just isn't enough at the level we're now.

I feel like this a problem that goes beyond even Jim Ryan and has to due with the constant push for pure power and the increasing costs that come with it
The race for power had an end and we're closing on it. Of course consoles can get more powerful but at the level we're at, it's good enough for most people. A strong art direction and imaginative artstyle can compete with the graphical powerhouse games in they impact they cause. This is more or less the way that Nintendo has been following: Focusing on a strong artstyle and use the current power to bring it up without going too crazy, while taking advantage of the "free" power upgrades they get as technology advances. Build a strong game, based on gameplay and it'll be eternal. That's why Mario or Zelda are still blockbusters after 40 years, while stuff like Gears or Halo have fallen to the side. There are more remasters than main entries in The Last of Us series, it's as if they really don't know what to do with it apart of improving the graphics (yeah the remasters have other changes, but those are not the main hook). Make your studios crunch, then apply massive layoffs and the costs will only rise higher and higher as you need more people to do the impossible. This is a stark contrast with Nintendo eating crow during the WiiU and taking the hit to keep the talent in the company, the same talent that has later produced Splatoon, BotW, Mario Odyssey, Mario Wonder...They now have more capable people, with more knowledge, working on better conditions, with a long-term plan and projects with realistic scopes that won't get everybody laid off once their part in the game is done.

BotW is 900p@30Hz with big dropdowns in certain areas and it's already sold 30+millions of which a huge part have been at full price.

I think this isn't a case of consoles being on the decline, because even if Sony expect sales to slow, fact is they are still selling. This is more a case that dev costs on the huge blockbuster games like Spider-Man 2 and Horizon have absolutely ballooned out of control, and the time it takes to make them has lengthened considerably, to the point they are becoming increasingly untenable from an economic perspective.

Both Sony, Microsoft and many third parties have spent the past 20 years chasing that AAA gaming dragon even as it gets more exhausting and expensive to do so. Now it's getting to the point that the only way these games can make the kind of profit which justifies 5-6 years of game development is to go multi-plat, even on rival consoles. If you're having to devalue your console's appeal so that your software can earn enough money to keep the lights on, I'd argue then that the issue is in the way you are making the software.

I think this is also a good time to remember the leaks where Phil Spencer was talking about buying Nintendo and how it seemed crazy to him that the company and investors didn't want to chase infinite growth, but were happy with it's "reduced" but stable and long term gains.

I think this is also a good time to remember the leaks where Phil Spencer was talking about buying Nintendo and how it seemed crazy to him that the company and investors didn't want to chase infinite growth, but were happy with it's "reduced" but stable and long term gains.
This infinite growth mindset is truly vile and despicable. I really like Nintendo's more conservative philosophy in that regard. They're doing really well and have had a great pipeline of game releases these last few years.

I think this isn't a case of consoles being on the decline, because even if Sony expect sales to slow, fact is they are still selling. This is more a case that dev costs on the huge blockbuster games like Spider-Man 2 and Horizon have absolutely ballooned out of control, and the time it takes to make them has lengthened considerably, to the point they are becoming increasingly untenable from an economic perspective.

Both Sony, Microsoft and many third parties have spent the past 20 years chasing that AAA gaming dragon even as it gets more exhausting and expensive to do so. Now it's getting to the point that the only way these games can make the kind of profit which justifies 5-6 years of game development is to go multi-plat, even on rival consoles. If you're having to devalue your console's appeal so that your software can earn enough money to keep the lights on, I'd argue then that the issue is in the way you are making the software.
What I don't get, is why games always have to get bigger and bigger.
I'm really not interested in a game where there's 1000 points of interest with the same gameplay loop all the time.

so after the analog stick, the dual analog layout, the rumble, the gyroscope...they had to imitate also the multiplatform strategy, this time from MS!

/JK!

If Sony still has the PS5 Pro scheduled to release, and two years after the PS6, and if said console is a vast upgrade form the PS5 Pro, then they've learned nothing.

Honestly, for the good of the industry, these competitors need to settle at a peak graphics output and call it a day. Develop whatever technology will make your machine more unique

They should follow the movie industry and make graphics get WORSE over time (with a couple exceptions like Avatar)

In fact, when Furukawa talks about uncharted territory, it simply means that the next Uncharted game will be on a Nintendo console.

What I don't get, is why games always have to get bigger and bigger.
I'm really not interested in a game where there's 1000 points of interest with the same gameplay loop all the time.
While you personally might not be, the market as a whole is. Big games with an open world to explore are very popular and sell very well indeed. Gamers want these types of games. The issue is that they've become astronomically expensive to make, and they aren't selling enough to make the effort worthwhile. So publishers are now between a rock and a hard place where consumers are expecting massive open worlds with amazing graphics, but providing consumers with these games costs so much it may no longer be worth it.

This feels like the natural end point of 20 years of chasing high end gaming, and maybe it would be best if everyone (including gamers) took a deep breath and held back a bit for the tech and effort needed to produce these games to become more affordable, if we want to preserve jobs and the industry in its current form. Or we see the big publishers diversifying their lineup ala Nintendo so they are producing smaller games more frequently while having 2-3 big games in the pipeline at any given time.

If Sony still has the PS5 Pro scheduled to release, and two years after the PS6, and if said console is a vast upgrade form the PS5 Pro, then they've learned nothing.

Honestly, for the good of the industry, these competitors need to settle at a peak graphics output and call it a day. Develop whatever technology will make your machine more unique
I agree. I’d rather have 3 games that look decent and take 2 or 3 years to produce than 1 game that is the most photo realistic looking thing ever and takes 6

While you personally might not be, the market as a whole is. Big games with an open world to explore are very popular and sell very well indeed. Gamers want these types of games. The issue is that they've become astronomically expensive to make, and they aren't selling enough to make the effort worthwhile. So publishers are now between a rock and a hard place where consumers are expecting massive open worlds with amazing graphics, but providing consumers with these games costs so much it may no longer be worth it.

This feels like the natural end point of 20 years of chasing high end gaming, and maybe it would be best if everyone (including gamers) took a deep breath and held back a bit for the tech and effort needed to produce these games to become more affordable, if we want to preserve jobs and the industry in its current form. Or we see the big publishers diversifying their lineup ala Nintendo so they are producing smaller games more frequently while having 2-3 big games in the pipeline at any given time.
As usual, the problem is never aspiring to growth per se, but having unrealistic, unreasonable and unsustainable expectations of it. Development costs have exploded because this technical race is not rational anymore. A home console doesn't have to be a top-of-the-range gamer's PC, and it doesn't cost the same anyway. Games take an inordinate amount of time to develop, not because we ask more of them - that's normal, ongoing technological progress - but because we ask too much of them at this point of what affordable tech is. For me, the best illustration of this race into the void is the emergence of mid-gen consoles, which make no sense other than to fuel this ridiculous headlong rush.

You make a console. You make games for that console. They're fluid, they're functional, they're ambitious and a progress from the last gen, but there's no development hell, no huge sales targets that set the house on fire at the slightest commercial hiccup. There's no obsession with terraflops to the detriment of the rate at which games are released. That's a healthy model. You have available technology, you make the best use of it. Instead, we constantly have a race to the next technology and sales projections that think people are going to buy the next technology forever without worrying about having games to play. It's absurd. Of course this bubble that speculates on the next big thing has to burst.

Not everyone is a happy few with high purchasing power. In fact, what's very ironic and representative of the excesses of neoliberalism is that tech as an industry contributes to making people poorer, by making people redundant and abusing short, insecure contracts. So this industry is actually helping to reduce purchasing power. And this same industry is basing its growth forecasts on an increase in purchasing power, which it is itself helping to reduce. Of course this bubble will burst. Of course they'll end up going to hell. So much the better.

The sad thing is that nothing Sony's boss says is really a wake-up call. He's not saying that Playstation needs to get back into the real world. He's saying that Sony needs to diversify its revenue streams to continue to fuel its growth. He's not saying that we need to review the scale of projects and projections, he's saying that it's the teams who 'don't understand' = let's make redundancies to increase our margins.

And Nintendo isn't immune to this idiotic ideology, as we've already seen when the company was in trouble. The power of nuisance of the famous 'analysts' that Sony's new boss has just quoted religiously is a permanent threat. They're going to have unrealistic and irrational expectations about Switch 2 sales. The slightest misstep and there'll be panic, with shareholders asking Mario to go mobile and Luigi to pole dance.

How the turns have tabled.

Seems like chasing realism wasn't expected to be so unsustainable.
I’d honestly say it goes a bit beyond that as these big cinematic and narrative driven action heavy experiences are just expensive to make in general, even if they weren’t pursuing realistic visuals. The games sell super well so they’re definitely profitable but shareholders are always gonna wanna see some growth. Their smaller budget games are much less frequent and don’t get anywhere near the same amount of sales so here we are

Who tf do I trust, Sony or Jeff?

(Jeff makes the decent point that Astro might not be considered "major")

If it’s a non-VR game, it’s major to me, damn it

After the slog that is the antiseptic Astro's Playroom, I'd just hope a full length Astro platformer has at least something approaching a personality.
Wait, what? I really liked Astro’s Playroom! It wasn’t the best thing ever but one of the best packed in launch games I’ve played that demonstrates what makes the controller unique while celebrating PlayStation’s history. Some of the gimmicks weren’t the best but I’d say it overall got the job done. I’m sure a full on Astro game wouldn’t need to focus on controller gimmicks so that shouldn’t be a worry

Great example of this disconnect that always sticks in my mind is this embarassment of a video from Arlo years ago:

I see takes like this all the time, not just for Zelda, but for all sorts of Triple AAA games and not just from Arlo, but plenty of gamers and youtubers. The desire for more and more, but no self reflection on the difficulty of making more and more. And the gall of this video to bring up the disastrous Majora's Mask crunch as a good thing.

Wait, what? I really liked Astro’s Playroom! It wasn’t the best thing ever but one of the best packed in launch games I’ve played that demonstrates what makes the controller unique while celebrating PlayStation’s history. Some of the gimmicks weren’t the best but I’d say it overall got the job done. I’m sure a full on Astro game wouldn’t need to focus on controller gimmicks so that shouldn’t be a worry
I mean it was an extremely bland delivery of PlayStation fanservice that served well as a controller tutorial. But I was not exactly enthralled by references to old games like Pain or Final Fantasy VII being present with one sword prop in the environment.

It overall felt good to play but aesthetically felt like corporate, soulless nothing until the final boss('s first form) actually demonstrated a creative use of legacy nostalgia.

I mean it was an extremely bland delivery of PlayStation fanservice that served well as a controller tutorial. But I was not exactly enthralled by references to old games like Pain or Final Fantasy VII being present with one sword prop in the environment.

It overall felt good to play but aesthetically felt like corporate, soulless nothing until the final boss('s first form) actually demonstrated a creative use of legacy nostalgia.
Honestly, fair. For me, the references being cutely re-enacted by the little robots and getting PlayStation collectables did give it charm but I can see someone finding a lot of it very corporate and sanitized. But, really, these sorts of references and what not only really make sense for a game like Astrobot’s Playroom. I don’t think you’d see much of a focus on that in a full on $60 game

Great example of this disconnect that always sticks in my mind is this embarassment of a video from Arlo years ago:

I see takes like this all the time, not just for Zelda, but for all sorts of Triple AAA games and not just from Arlo, but plenty of gamers and youtubers. The desire for more and more, but no self reflection on the difficulty of making more and more. And the gall of this video to bring up the disastrous Majora's Mask crunch as a good thing.

I mean, as he said in his wonderful recent video explaining why Aonuma had "lost his respect" (what a tragedy that must be for Aonuma!), Arlo is a "game design enthusiast". He obviously knows what he's talking about.

Looks like Sony’s focus on making blockbluster games over smaller quicker to develop titles is biting them in the butt. I find it funny how “behind” people say Nintendo is when they already got the formula down of releasing less graphically intensive games that would otherwise drive up cost of production.

Looks like Sony’s focus on making blockbluster games over smaller quicker to develop titles is biting them in the butt. I find it funny how “behind” people say Nintendo is when they already got the formula down of releasing less graphically intensive games that would otherwise drive up cost of production.
You don't get it. Nintendo is EXPLOITINNG its rabid fanbase by releasing their reasonably scoped great looking and playing games on under powered hardware.

Oh did I mention no price collapses means they are just greedy.

You don't get it. Nintendo is EXPLOITINNG its rabid fanbase by releasing their reasonably scoped great looking and playing games on under powered hardware.

Oh did I mention no price collapses means they are just greedy.
When I drop the price of my $500 box I was already manufacturing at a loss to $300, I am doing consumers a favor, obviously.

Back
Top Bottom